• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Ant-Man 7/10

Started a separate thread on this. Not the greatest Marvel movie, but still a hell of a fun romp. Definitely recommend it.

The Candidate with Robert Redford. Made in 1972. And very well made; 8/10 IMO. Things don't change much in politics in California it seems.

Saw it on Turner Classic Movies, so does it belong here or in TV thread?
Movie thread. TV is for television programs. The Candidate is definitely a movie. I wanted to watch it, but didn't think my toddler would get too engrossed in it.

Kingsman: The Secret Service

8/10

At a time when many comic adaptations endeavor to be ever so serious, gritty, and even a bit realistic, this one appears to have no aims other than to be fun and entertaining--and it largely succeeds. It is similar to Guardians of the Galaxy in that respect, if not quite as good. The cast are all in the right spirit, both the reliable veterans--Colin Firth, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Caine and Mark Strong--and promising newcomers Taron Egerton and Sophie Cookson.

The New Terminator Movie

I was pleasantly surprised by this flick. Almost all of Schwarzeneggar's appeal seemed to worn off and after the last couple of Terminator movies, it seemed unlikely they'd be able to capture the spirit of the first two. But Arnold's good in this. His robotic charm steals the show.

The plot/storyline was pretty good and unpredictable, but not outrageous, and the filmmakers do a really clever job of mixing in story lines and footage from the first two movies. Also, throughout the movie you don't always know who the good guys and bad guys were. Of course there had to be a couple of over the top action scenes, which did take away from it a little bit and the ending was a little too... a little not in keeping with the rest of the movie. But overall, it was a good expenditure of $4.50 at the drive-in.

6.5/10

The Gallows

This was the second of the double feature and it was fucking awful. The co-main character is an almost complete prick so you keep hoping he'll die as soon as possible. And of course he does but not in a satisfying way. The other co-main character wants to do well, but turns into an asshole anyway. The girlfriend of the former co-main is blah and her demise is way overdue. That leaves one character who garners sympathy and even then it's a stretch to say you can really care about what happens to her.

The movie is of the bad-old found footage genre. And throughout, just like in all other films of this ilk, one can't help but be completely taken out of the movie by knowing that no one, not even the most dedicated professional camera man running through a war zone would continue to film all the bullshit that goes on. Me and my daughter wondered why they don't just tell/shoot purely from the first-person point of view and eschew the stupid camera element altogether. It would seem to solve about 90% of those problems.

Most won't go see this movie at a theater anyway, but if it ever comes up on your Netflix or Amazon Prime list, avoid it. It's bad from start to finish.

2/10

Ant-Man 7/10

Started a separate thread on this. Not the greatest Marvel movie, but still a hell of a fun romp. Definitely recommend it.
Saw it this weekend. My kids laughed through it - I thought it was fun and worth seeing. Not as fun as Kingsman, but good nonetheless.

They Came Together
7/10

A parody of romcoms by the Wain/Showalter team. A lot of over the top goofiness, but sometimes just right.

Q&A

7.5/10

Like many of Sidney Lumet's films (e.g., Serpico, Prince of the City), this centers on corruption among the police and public officials. The plot is a little too complicated, and you may not be won over by the romantic leads, Timothy Hutton and Jenny Lumet (the director's daughter). However, Nick Nolte's ferocious performance as a bigoted cop is a must-see, and several supporting players are also very good, especially Charles Dutton and Luis Guzman.

It Came from Outer Space.

Next fave - When Dinosaurs Roamed the Earth, and the sequel When Dinosaurs Used to Roam the Earth, made after the asteroid struck and wiped them all out: it was either a very big asteroid, or they were all in the same place attending some kind of Jurassic-period symposium to discuss the 'Global Dinosaurs' Population Explosion - How Do We Resolve It?'. Not a lot of people would take a stab at the latter theory. :cool:

Gone Girl

A man's highly intelligent, highly educated, and eccentric wife suddenly disappears after they move from New York to Missouri. The man then becomes a suspect in her disappearance, which then prompts media attention due to his wife's odd kind of fame. It's difficult to give any more detail than that without spoiling it.

Essentially this movie is about is the terrible human beings we turn into, as perceived by the other person, after we get married. Man = cheating asshole. Woman = nagging, needy bitch. This one just has a twist to it. But the twist feels forced and is able to be seen from a mile away. And in the end, it becomes a pretty big pill to swallow. That's because it's uncertain whether the viewer is supposed to take it as something that could really happen or if it's all just metaphor. If the former, it doesn't work. If the latter, then it works okay.

Overall, my biggest criticism is that it doesn't explore anything new with respect to marriage. We know what marriage often does to us and we know that we often stay together for the wrong reasons. This film casts no new light on any of that. But again, it's a good popcorn flick.

It is entertaining though, and it kept me interested the entire time. So it's worth watching, which is more than can be said for the vast majority of movies.

6.5/10

The Secretary

A mentally fragile woman who goes to work for a semi-psycho boss and S&M results. The S&M, while physically manifested to some degree is much more mental and emotional. The movie is full of irony in that the dominant party is a slave to his own mental anguish and the submissive party is freed of her submissiveness through her submission. It's an interesting study in sexuality, psychology, and mind-fuckery.

It's slow at times and has a couple of unnecessary moving parts, but overall it's pretty interesting. And you have to be in the right mood to see it. Like, if you want pure entertainment, save this one for another time when you're feeling a little more introspective.

On a side note, the boss's last name is Grey, which only adds to the literary travesty that is 50 Shades of Grey.

7/10

6.5/10

The Secretary

A mentally fragile woman who goes to work for a semi-psycho boss and S&M results. The S&M, while physically manifested to some degree is much more mental and emotional. The movie is full of irony in that the dominant party is a slave to his own mental anguish and the submissive party is freed of her submissiveness through her submission. It's an interesting study in sexuality, psychology, and mind-fuckery.

It's slow at times and has a couple of unnecessary moving parts, but overall it's pretty interesting. And you have to be in the right mood to see it. Like, if you want pure entertainment, save this one for another time when you're feeling a little more introspective.

On a side note, the boss's last name is Grey, which only adds to the literary travesty that is 50 Shades of Grey.

7/10

He's not psycho. He has Aspergers. It's a very well written and played character in that regard. She's not mentally frail. She IS crazy, but that's not the same thing as frail. Frailty implies weakness. She's not weak. She's very much in control in the film as well as strong. People who engage in the type of behaviour she does, do it out of an urge to take control over their otherwise chaotic lives. Take note that she stops with the self harm when she starts "having sex" with the boss. It's a clue that it's healthy for her (according to the script). I wouldn't be surprised if this film sprung from the mind of somebody in the kinky scene and studying to be a psychiatrist at the time. Because these people are very believable and I'm sure have their counterparts in the BDSM-scene. Both of the characters are kinky-stereotypes of sorts. Perhaps the reason it's so popular among perverts.

The films pre-dates 50-shades. I always interpreted the name Grey as a nod to John Gray, of Men are from Mars, and Women are from Venus. The 50-Shades on the other hand is simply about that BDSM isn't black and white. Which... well... duh. Yes, I agree that book is a travesty. But The Secretary isn't at all. It's a finely crafted production imho.

Transformers - Age of Extinction - 1/10

This movie was ... dumb. The plot made no sense, the acting was weak and the action scenes were just masses of CGI garbage vomited onto the screen where you could barely tell one robot from another while they were rolling around together.

Who the hell paid $1 billion to watch this piece of shit? I saw it for free on Netflix and am pissed that I'm not getting any money back for having my time wasted.

The plot made no sense, the acting was weak and the action scenes were just masses of CGI garbage vomited onto the screen where you could barely tell one robot from another while they were rolling around together.
I've seen the first two and that's a pretty good description of them. For what was a dumb action movie, I couldn't tell what the fuck was going on, who was doing what and why they were doing it. I was watching a sequence of random noisy flashy action sequences with robots interspersed with scenes that seemed to be about furthering the plot but I'll be fucked if I knew what was going on, or more importantly, it was hard to give a fuck what was going on.

Last edited:
2012 - 1/10

For a movie like this, I can forgive and ignore the dumb-beyond-belief science justifications offered up for the scenario, but this was just awful in other ways. They clearly had plenty of money to spend ($200 million budget according to Wikipedia) and it shows on screen. But despite all the car chases, plane crashes, erupting volcanoes, tsunamis, earthquakes swallowing whole cities, etc. it was incredibly boring to watch. The whole movie was a sequence of over the top sequences where the protagonists escape certain death by the skin of their teeth. As they escape the city driving as fast as they can, the collapsing ground beneath them is always right behind them, to within feet of their car. When they need to take off in their plane, they have just enough runway to take off before they do and the airport is swallowed by an earthquake. When their plane can't climb fast enough to avoid a skyscrape, it conveniently collapses right in front of them and they fly through safely, and it happens exactly at the moment they take off . It happens every five minutes and removes and sort of sense of danger that should accompany a movie where every natural disaster known to man is trying to kill the characters. Nearly all of their narrow escapes happen through nothing but sheer dumb luck, not because of clever thinking or heroic action on their behalf. Shit just happens at the right time and right speed to allow them to continue on their merry way. It's hard to give a shit about the characters as a result.

The movie also suffers from the same kind of bad acting that accompanies lots of video games and movies that are largely shot against green screen. The actors are completely divorced from the action happening onscreen and it shows in the quality (or lack thereof) of the acting. In the case of 2012, the movie contained far too many scenes of something incredible happening onscreen, a mega-earthquake swallowing an entire city beneath their plane for example, with a cut to them in the cockpit watching this action, and they look like people riding a roller coaster the way they scream. They don't actually look afraid or terrified at the mayhem surrounding. We just have these reaction shots of these badly acted screams and facial expressions to lazily try and let us know that bad shit is going on and the protagonists are afraid.

Theres one incredibly lazily made special effects scene where a plane crashes off a cliff. I know it's a Hollywood cliché to have everything and anything explode upon impact in a crash, but in this case, the CGI animators were just fucking lazy and whoever approved of it was too, because the plane slides down a cliff-face (after the protagonists have made a stupid last second escape by driving a car out the cargo hatch as it attempted an emergency landing), the fuselage and engines clearly grinding against the cliff face, yet remains completely intact and explosion free, and it spontaneously explodes into a huge ball of flames, exactly when the tip of the nose of the plane touches the ground. No-one bothered to even give a seconds thought to how that should have been done.

There's also a scene where they know a giant tsunami is coming their way, but it's coming faster than they originally calculated, so they get the computer to recalculate the time it will take to arrive, which it does, right down to the exact second, so it tells us it will take 28 minutes, 44 minutes and 11 seconds or whatever. The stupid thing is that when the tsunami comes crashing down on their ship that they plan to escape on, it hits the ship, exactly as the timer is seen to go from 00:00:01 to 00:00:00. Stupid dumb shit.

Last edited:
Intermission

8/10

A very good Irish crime comedy. It's a "hyperlink" movie with several intersecting storylines and an Irish-Scottish ensemble cast; at the center of things are Cillian Murphy and the always wonderful Kelly Macdonald as a young couple whose recent break-up precipitates much of the plot directly or indirectly. Also very good are Colm Meaney as an Garda detective with visions, apparently, of being Dublin's Dirty Harry, and Shirley Henderson as the sister of Macdonald's character.

The Equalizer

6/10

An adaptation of the late-1980s TV series about an ex-intelligence operative who uses his skills to help the innocent who can't help themselves. The film version is directed by Antoine Fuqua, which means that the action will be well-staged and reasonably exciting, but that the film will attempt, but not really succeed, at being a serious drama as opposed to just an action thriller. This one was partly saved by Denzel Washington, who is sufficiently weighty as a leading man to keep a viewer interested even when the plot takes some highly implausible turns.

This movie was ... dumb. The plot made no sense, the acting was weak and the action scenes were just masses of CGI garbage vomited onto the screen where you could barely tell one robot from another while they were rolling around together.

Who the hell paid $1 billion to watch this piece of shit? I saw it for free on Netflix and am pissed that I'm not getting any money back for having my time wasted.

What could possibly make you decide that watching that movie would be a good idea?

Please tell me you were forced to watch it because you were babysitting a young relative. Or perhaps you were captured by the US military and subjected to "enhanced interrogation techniques"?

What could possibly make you decide that watching that movie would be a good idea?
I presume the movie was disguised as a 1980's boom box or something to lure its prey.

Transformers-issue-35-Blaster.jpg

Reactions: One
Inside/Out - Pixar's next film. This follows the on goings inside the head of a young girl who is going to be moving with her family to a new location. Honestly, I have found Pixar has relied too heavily on individual characters and in some instances without that character the film just is nothing at all. This film absolutely eliminated this problem by having several great characters that add to the film's experience.

Regarding one of the sadder moments (spoiler):

Tom Sawyer made note regarding a character in the film who sacrifices themself. Oddly enough, I thought the scene was contrived. A rocket sled powered by singing would go further with two people singing, not one! So while the sacrifice is in the story, it seemed force. Regardless, my just turned six year old niece, who was sitting next to me made a six year old comment after his sacrifice noting that "someone could just eat him because he is made of cotton candy."

The movie's plot is solid, the character's position related to the plot remains consistent.

In general, everything in this film clicks. And of course, Lewis Black did help to add important credibility to one of my favorite characters. This is one of Pixar's best films ever (from start to finish). Hard to make animated films much better. 4 of 4

6.5/10

The Secretary

7/10

He's not psycho. He has Aspergers. It's a very well written and played character in that regard. She's not mentally frail. She IS crazy, but that's not the same thing as frail. Frailty implies weakness. She's not weak. She's very much in control in the film as well as strong. People who engage in the type of behaviour she does, do it out of an urge to take control over their otherwise chaotic lives. Take note that she stops with the self harm when she starts "having sex" with the boss. It's a clue that it's healthy for her (according to the script). I wouldn't be surprised if this film sprung from the mind of somebody in the kinky scene and studying to be a psychiatrist at the time. Because these people are very believable and I'm sure have their counterparts in the BDSM-scene. Both of the characters are kinky-stereotypes of sorts. Perhaps the reason it's so popular among perverts.

The films pre-dates 50-shades. I always interpreted the name Grey as a nod to John Gray, of Men are from Mars, and Women are from Venus. The 50-Shades on the other hand is simply about that BDSM isn't black and white. Which... well... duh. Yes, I agree that book is a travesty. But The Secretary isn't at all. It's a finely crafted production imho.

Is it certain that he has Aspergers? If so, that's an element I hadn't considered. But whether he is nor not, my assessment of him as "half-psycho" is off the mark. I should have said something along the lines of "internally tortured" due to Whatever reason.

But I do think my assessment of the female character as mentally fragile is correct. She grows throughout the film, along with some peaks and valleys to become a stronger person once.

As for the 50 Shades of I Can't Fucking Believe So Many People Bought That Book, I should have been more clear. This film pre-dates that book by about a decade, and it's hard to believe that either 1 of 2 things didn't happen.

1. The 50 Shades hack outright stole the name of the character from this movie
2. It was a crappy coincidence

I think it was #1. I don't give that author enough credit to actually give a nod to another piece of literature--even a piece of dubious pop-lit.

As for the BDSM thing, this movie, in its execution of the fetish, is likely, for the most part, more accurate than the stereotypes most people normally think of when they hear the term. OTOH, this movie does engage in some of the stereotypes too.

Whatever the case, the fact that the movie is worth discussing on a level other than a unanimous agreement that it sucked proves that it has something going for it.

Oh, and going back to the Asperger's thing: it doesn't really matter if one knows it or not because the character is ultimately portrayed as an example of flawed and vulnerable humanity.

Back
Top Bottom