• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
neopagan leaning toward moral relativism

The Thing (1951)

7/10
So this is the original thing (I should probably watch the 1980's version at some point)
And it was pretty well done
The sets are very detailed and large and detailed
The acting is all top notch with no parts being bad or annoying
The script is very well put together and everything moves along really well
The only problem is that "The Thing" is a little corny looking but I can get past that because of how well done everything else is
So definitely a good movie and well worth watching

The 1980s version of the Thing is now widely seen as a classic. Must see viewing. A little bit dated technologically speaking but not enough to detract as they don't resort to much technology. Must see.

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Charley Varrick

8/10

A very enjoyable heist film with strong performances from Walter Matthau as a bank robber who inadvertently runs afoul of the Mafia and Joe Don Baker as the ferocious, improbably-named Molly, the hitman on his trail.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Wise Guys a 2005 comedy starring Danny DeVito, one of my all time favourite actors in Harvey Keitel and Joe Piscopo. A crime caper comedy worth a look. 7/10

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
The Intouchables

Reportedly the second-highest-grossing film in France, The Intouchables explores the relationship between two seemingly polar opposites. Based on a true story, a wealthy quadriplegic needs an attendant, and for unknown reasons he hires an street-smart ex-con. I think the hook of the movie is that they were made for each other because they're both shunned by society (Get it? They're both intouchable) yet they develop a friendship that surpasses expectations.

For me, though, the movie bounces around in what it's supposed to say. Is this about accepting your limitations? Breaking down stereotypes? Learning how the other half deals with life? Is it a buddy movie? Are we supposed to laugh appreciatively or tsk when a street thug acts out at an opera he's forced to attend against his will? There's so many characters that come in, introduce a bit of plot conflict, and then exit never to be seen again.

All in all I wasn't displeased, but I wouldn't rate it as high as so many others have.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
What the hell was all the fuss about the movie HUNGER GAMES. Attempted to watch it tonight tonight. One hour is far to long watching this this crappola. 5/10.

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
What the hell was all the fuss about the movie HUNGER GAMES. Attempted to watch it tonight tonight. One hour is far to long watching this this crappola. 5/10.

Box office returns indicate you are in the minority.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist

Shindlers List was also a huge box office success and won a cupboard full of awards. Those who criticized it for the length of time it took to get to the plot were also silenced. Some went as far to call the criticism anti Jewish.
Well, sorry, but I walked out about 90 mins into it.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

The film was targeted at young girls. Are you a young girl?

bradw

Basic Beliefs
asdfasdf

The film was targeted at young girls. Are you a young girl?

I also attempted to watch it and just couldn't get into it. I figured it was geared for a younger audience and probably for those familiar with the books. So I quit watching within the first hour.

Sarpedon

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
the Philosophy of Not Giving a Damn
I watched Ironclad a very well done but strangely listless movie. Good as an antidote to all these epic medieval fantasies, in that it was about twenty guys defending a castle against a (small) army, in a realistic way.

However, it really didn't seem that anyone's heart was really in it, somehow. Charles Dance was bored as the Archbishop of canterbury, James Purefoy was no fun as a Templar knight who wanted to quit being a templar but has to go defend the castle on his last day on the job (seriously). The only one who seemed committed to his role was Paul Giamatti, playing King John as a vicious sadsack as only Paul Giamatti can.

6/10

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs

Shindlers List was also a huge box office success and won a cupboard full of awards. Those who criticized it for the length of time it took to get to the plot were also silenced. Some went as far to call the criticism anti Jewish.

You are in the minority for that one too.

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
[

Come on. It was a Stephen Spielberg film about the Holocaust: therefore, it cannot be criticized. Not for the melodrama of "I could have saved more! I could have saved more!" or for the tricky Schindler, outsmarting the camp halfwit throughout the entirety of the second half of the movie.

I personally liked the movie overall though despite its glaring and rarely mentioned glaring flaws.

And don't worry about how much money it made. How much money a movie makes and its actual quality as a piece of film-making art have zero correlation. Unless wants to make the argument that animated films like Frozen are masterpieces of the cinema.

Anyway ...

Prince of Darkness

An utterly unwatchable piece of shit that's not even good for falling asleep to. It's a late 80s turd of a horror movie about Satan being incarnate as goo in a glass jar.

-4/10

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
[

Come on. It was a Stephen Spielberg film about the Holocaust: therefore, it cannot be criticized. Not for the melodrama of "I could have saved more! I could have saved more!" or for the tricky Schindler, outsmarting the camp halfwit throughout the entirety of the second half of the movie.

I personally liked the movie overall though despite its glaring and rarely mentioned glaring flaws.

And don't worry about how much money it made. How much money a movie makes and its actual quality as a piece of film-making art have zero correlation. Unless wants to make the argument that animated films like Frozen are masterpieces of the cinema.

Anyway ...

True, but we weren't talking quality.

Daioh

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Lord Of Elves
This one doesn't even deserve a score
Literally I lasted about a minute before wanting to turn this off
Overall the movie was on less then ten minutes before removed
it really is that bad
It is from the asylum though, but this is bad even by their standards

An Autumn Afternoon
2/10
Supposedly a classic Japanese movie, but I don't see it
The whole movie could be summed up by the standard conversation the characters have (all old men BTW)
Man 1: Is your Daughter married yet
Man 2: Not Yet
Man 1: She should get married, and did I mention the other guy has a hot young wife, I hope he takes his vitamins lol hurr hurr hurr
Man 2: hurrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Repeat over and over and OVER
And all this delivered in some of the most wooden acting you will ever see
Which just made this really boring to sit through each time it was repeated

Justice League: New Frontier

4/10
I wanted to like this
I liked the premise that the heroes were still yet to stamp themselves and were individually trying to resist/cope with the rampant corruption around them
I liked the intertwining of origins stories
I liked the character designs that were based on the 60's era outfits
I even thought the VA was all well done and well presented
But this movie ends up getting too preachy, takes too long between interesting things happening, and the final villain is pretty lame
There is alot to like, but the overall package just didn't work IMO

Mass Effect: Paragon Lost

5/10
So an anime based upon the popular video game series
And it kinda works
It's biggest failure is that it wouldn't really work with people not familiar with at least the second Mass Effect game, as it just kinda throws in the big players like the Collectors, Reapers, Shepard, Normandy and Cerberus
But if you are familiar with the game then this just doesn't live up to the standard it sets in terms of characters and story
The characters are all pretty one dimensional, and really you will forget names pretty quickly
I actually only kept them apart by going, so theres the infiltrator class, the engineer class etc
The voice acting is competant
And the animation is nice
But the script is pretty formulaic
The only original bit being the ending which I thought was actually quite well done and was a rather nice twist
But it doesn't save this film from being mostly forgettable
If you haven't seen or don't like ME then just skip this, if you are a fan then give it a go but don't expect too much

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Basic Beliefs
On my journey :D
We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson,

A good movie. Would watch it again. It looks at the futility of some battles. Goes over the top in terms of Americans fighting thousands of enemy soldiers.

7/10

spikepipsqueak

My Brane Hertz
Basic Beliefs
Nil
An Accidental Soldier 8/10 Nothing to criticise. Beautiful to look at, most of the time, poignant story.

Just finished watching Red State. So caught up in the horror of the plot that I can't rate it.

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
Who the F**k Is Arthur Fogel?

A documentary about the man who changed the way popular music concerts are produced. Fogel is responsible for 7 out of 10 of the top grossing tours of all time, including the Police reunion tour, U2's record breaking outings, Madonna, the Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.

In the process of telling the story of how Canadians changed the concert biz, it points out that the days of blockbuster tours by veteran artists are threatened by the instant fame phenomenon of shows like American Idol, yet it glosses over the fact that Fogel is also responsible for Live Nation...the corporate outfit which promotes those "artists."

For anyone remotely connected to the music business, it is an interesting look into one of the real behind the scenes giants of the industry. It is also excessively reverent and a little long for such a topic.

5/10

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Certain Prey Starring Mark Harmon and Taitiana Mastany. [never heard of her before] A cop matches wits with a hit woman and a corrupt lawyer. [aren't they all?]

As a crime drama it's worth a look. I believe it was made for TV. 6.5/10

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Certain Prey Starring Mark Harmon and Taitiana Mastany. [never heard of her before] A cop matches wits with a hit woman and a corrupt lawyer. [aren't they all?]

Do you mean Tatiana Maslany? If so, she's currently kicking ass in the BBC America program Orphan Black.

Daioh

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The Thing (1982)
9/10
So I got to see the classic version of this movie
And I liked it
I thought the movie was well paced, the special effects all hold up pretty well, and all the parts are well acted throughout
I also liked how the characters acted throughout, and I thought the reactions were all genuine given the situation (No-one doing something stupid just for the sake of being stupid)
So I see why people still love this movie
And I very much agree with this movie being a classic

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Planet Of The Apes the original with Charleston Heston. Another case of the original outshining any sequels by a long way. Although the sequel Return To The Planet Of Apes was just as good, especially the ending where the hero [Heston] realises he is on earth after discovering the remains of the Statue Of Liberty in a cave. Both films rated 8.5/10

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God
How to Train a your Dragon 2 - 4/10

Very silly movie.

It would, however, be an awesome non-cartoon about two tribes of Vikings having themselves a dragon war. Keep the dragon war parts, have that blonde chick naked a bit more and lose the sappy Disney parts and you've got a young leader defending his tribe against an expansionist killer ... on the backs of warring dragons.

There's nothing that's not amazing about that.

dx713

Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Epicurean, Compatibilist
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya - 10/10
Just gorgeous and emotional.
Long and slow, but it goes so well with the drawing style and the tone of the story, that I just didn't notice it, and even my kids didn't seem bored.
Now, don't expect nice, clear line, Ghibli drawing, that's not Miyazaki. I know some people were turned off by the seemingly loose art style. But for me, it worked great.
Also, don't go expect a silly uplifting Ghibli movie, that's Takahata we're talking about here (Grave of the Fireflies). Not as dark as the aforementioned Grave of the Fireflies, my kids didn't seem traumatized, but excuse me for having something in my eyes...

ETA: seen the subtitled version with the Japanese voices, and that was a good choice. The atmosphere wouldn't be the same with dubbed voices, and the movie relies so much on the immersion into its style, I really think a dub version wouldn't have worked so well. Really look around for a subtitled version.

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Per qualche dollaro in più/For a Few Dollars More

8/10

The middle film in Leone's "Man With No Name" trilogy, with Clint Eastwood returning as the laconic protagonist, Lee Van Cleef beefing up the cast, and a cameo from Klaus Kinski. Leone's savage vision of the American West is not for all tastes, but it's amazing how influential it has become. There are a lot of recent films which could best be described as modern spaghetti Westerns.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Mystic River Another of Clint Eastwood directed films that excels in every way. Starring Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon. A trio of childhood friends are reunited by tragedy. As a drama it merits 9/10

C_Mucius_Scaevola

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

"a corrupt lawyer" ... it's like saying "a white snowflake" or "a blue blueberry".

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I hated the ending of what was otherwise a really good movie.

*You did it! *

*Eh... shrugs*

Credits Roll

WTF?!!?

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
The Thing (1982)
9/10
So I got to see the classic version of this movie
And I liked it
I thought the movie was well paced, the special effects all hold up pretty well, and all the parts are well acted throughout
I also liked how the characters acted throughout, and I thought the reactions were all genuine given the situation (No-one doing something stupid just for the sake of being stupid)
So I see why people still love this movie
And I very much agree with this movie being a classic

:)

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Yes, it was a TV movie adapted from one of John Sandford's "Prey" novels.

My latest:

Byzantium

7.5/10

Although vampire movies almost inevitably get classified as "horror" films, this one is more of a character-driven psychological thriller. The story is not as compelling as it could be, but director Neil Jordan supplies a very effective, brooding atmosphere, while lead actresses Gemma Arterton and Saoirse Ronan are both very good.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
You And Me And Dupree Newly weds can't get rid of their pesky best man after they offer him a place to stay. I'm no fan of Owen Wilson but I'm a leg man from way back. This flick [for me at least] is worth a peek just to behold Kate Hudson's beautiful pins. :eek: Besides I like Matt Dillon as well. Had not Hudson been in it I would rate this 4/10 at best, but Kate is worth another couple of points........6/10

Togo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Philosopher
X-men First Class. Yeah, I'm behind the times, so sue me.

A curious mix of impressed and not so impressed. Impressed at the set design, the quality of the acting, and to an extent, the script, which managed some genuinely poignant scenes without getting too cheesy. Kudos for getting some good 70s-style costumes and furnishings in there, as well as some 70s style attitudes without derailing the scenes.

On the other hand, the movie was a poorly planned mish-mash of scenes some committee thought would be kewl. So we have the ladies in the underwear scene, which fits the hellfire club, but has a main character stripping off for reasons that don't really make sense. We have the psychic sex scene, which is a staple of Emma Frost's character, but which she does in the movie apparently just to pass the time. We have the slow crash of the submarine, which bears a remarkable resemblance to the same slow crash scene in every science fiction film in the past decade. We have the stopping bullets in mid-air scene which looked good in the Matrix, but a bit silly for an entire artillery barrage (apparently battleship guns fire rockets that look like giant fireworks, rather than, you know, shells), we have the standard teen bullying scene, which again is a staple of the original story but doesn't really make sense in the middle of a CIA secure facility, and loses some of the impact when it's done by men in suits that we've never seen before, and never see again. We have Banshee learning to fly, which is interesting and fun, but involves a process that he patently isn't using later on in the film. And we have Darwin, the likeable black guy who is the first to die, a trope I thought we'd ditched with old war films. And so on.

The result is a fun film, but feel more like a clip show than a story. The plot is the personal development between the two main characters, the rest of the film is there for symbolism or window dressing, and unfortunately it shows. The events don't hang together, the characters don't really make sense, and a lot of the decisions feel arbitrary. 6.5/10

prideandfall

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
highly anti-religious agnostic
Edge of Tomorrow: 7.5/10

really just an all-around great movie - good near-future setting, reasonable and believable near-future tech, a moderately hokey yet completely-within-reason-for-a-sci-fi-action-movie premise, and a really pretty decent screenplay.
it's basically groundhog's day and starship troopers put in a blender with a sprinkling of warhammer 40k references, in every way in which that statement can be made awesomely.

it gets a bit weak towards the end of the 3rd act and has an unfortunately cruise/spielberg style ending, but as a bit of a neurotic film critic with a particular weakness for shitty screenplays, i was quite pleased with this movie and its near total lack of bullshit.
if not for the tepid 3rd act and tacked-on happy ending, i'd give it a solid 9.

Daioh

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Crash Of The Moons
5/10
So this is actually 3 episodes of the T.V show Rocky Jones, Space Ranger cut together into a movie length feature
And it is alright
Given that it is a T.V Show (so more limited budget and time then an actual movie) and that I have absolutely no previous experience with the show
It does well enough
The effects are actually quite good, the acting is all suitably over the top and the story moves along at a decent enough pace
But IMO it does show it's age a bit, and the cheapness can get to you a little
So it depends how much you can take of the 1950's era sci-fi

The Monster From Green Death
2/10
So an old sci-fi movie that just doesn't really deliver
it's slow, mostly dull and overall just kinda uninteresting
But it does get points for some well done monster effects
Ultimately I would just give this a miss

The Howling
5/10
Really it is the end that saves this movie
This is a werewolf movie, and the first 2/3 are largely uninteresting and devoid of pretty much any werewolf
But in the last act when everything comes together you get some good action scenes, great uses of practical effects (The werewolf transformations are pretty cool) and a good idea of what a werewolf movie could be
So a mixed bag, if you can get past the start then this isn't too bad but be prepared to be kinda bored a bit

The Shining
7/10
So this is the Kubrick film that I have quoted alot but have now actully seen
And yeah it was pretty cool
I thought he built up everything quite well, and Jack Nicolson going crazy was just awesome to watch
And overall I thought it was another movie that lives up to the hype

But a question: What was up with the photo at the end? I not sure what to make of it

I mean the picture with Nicolson in it dated back in 1921

bradw

Basic Beliefs
asdfasdf
Let Me In (2010)

It's hard to rate this movie, given that I'd seen Let the Right One In and consider it one of my favorite movies.

While this movie seemed to follow the same plot points and tried to hit the same emotional notes as the earlier movie, it felt rushed and almost upbeat by comparison. The original made me feel the despair that drove the characters.

Still a good movie, and maybe one that I would rate higher if I'd not seen the earlier version.

7.5/10

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Raiders of the Lost Ark

9.5/10

Probably the greatest popcorn movie of all, with all the ingredients. You have a pair of leads you can care about--Harrison Ford as Indy, a classic action hero, and Karen Allen in her one moment of movie glory as the feisty, Hawksian heroine--as well as the deliciously decadent bad guys, Spielberg's thrill-a-minute pacing, John Williams' rousing score, etc.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
That movie reminds me of Romancing The Stone with the then delicious Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas plus Danny DeVito as a bad guy.

A great adventure comedy romp. A little long in the tooth but still a lot better than many of the movies been released today.
9/10

Sajara

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Raiders of the Lost Ark

9.5/10

Probably the greatest popcorn movie of all, with all the ingredients. You have a pair of leads you can care about--Harrison Ford as Indy, a classic action hero, and Karen Allen in her one moment of movie glory as the feisty, Hawksian heroine--as well as the deliciously decadent bad guys, Spielberg's thrill-a-minute pacing, John Williams' rousing score, etc.

From Big Bang Theory:
“Indiana Jones plays no role in the outcome of the story. If he weren’t in the film, it would turn out exactly the same… If he weren’t in the movie, the Nazis would still have found the Arks, taken it to the island, opened it up, and all died, just like they did.”

bradw

Basic Beliefs
asdfasdf
Edge of Tomorrow (2014) (2-D version)

Even though Cruise starts out as smarmy bastard (he's really good at that), and the idea of a Groundhog Day-style movie sounds interesting, I was less than thrilled with the final result.

I passed my time eating a giant tub of popcorn and didn't feel harmed in any way for having seen it. OK, not great.

6/10

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Away From Her 9/10

I had watched this about five years back and remembered I liked it very much. For a three dollar download, figured I'd watch it again. It's a well written story, a bit soap opera like but tastefully done. I guess I'm getting old. The action flicks are too much looking the same, kinda like Disney movies if you take my meaning. So I tend to gravitate toward anything that looks like it might be an interesting story and this definitely fits the bill. So it's kind of a chick flick and a tear-jerker but I'm secure enough in my manhood to look past that. And they play Neil Young's Harvest Moon. Love that song.
Time for baseball and beer. It's all about balance.

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Raiders of the Lost Ark

9.5/10

From Big Bang Theory:
“Indiana Jones plays no role in the outcome of the story. If he weren’t in the film, it would turn out exactly the same… If he weren’t in the movie, the Nazis would still have found the Arks, taken it to the island, opened it up, and all died, just like they did.”

Except that when the Nazis initially came to get the medallion from Marion, it's entirely possible that they would have killed her, given the clear enthusiasm of Major Toht (sadistic German with the wire-rimmed glasses) for unnecessary torture and infliction of pain.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Död Snö 8/10

Norwegian splatter movie. Nothing about this film is especially original. Still good fun. I see the whole film as a tribute to Bad Taste. It's tacky, grotesque, silly but oh, so fun.

Nazi zombies. What's not to like

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Död Snö 8/10

Norwegian splatter movie. Nothing about this film is especially original. Still good fun. I see the whole film as a tribute to Bad Taste. It's tacky, grotesque, silly but oh, so fun.

Nazi zombies. What's not to like

Aaargh. I started to watch that. Dubbing was pretty good actually. About the time someone starting using

someone else's guts for a rope,

I stopped.

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Snowpiercer 7/10

a failed global-warming solution has killed off most life as it created a Snowball Earth. The final survivors are aboard the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine. The passenger/survivors on the train have been set into castes, with the haves-havenots. When cryptic messages incite the low caste passengers to revolt, the denizens move full-throttle towards disaster.

It is a joint Korean-American production of a French graphic novel. Interestingly a main character speaks Korean throughout most of the movie. The acting is excellent and poignant, the setting has a cyber-punk Brazil-like feel of pathos, brutality and absurdity. You never know what will happen or what they hope to accomplish. Very interesting movie.

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Lake Mungo

A girl dies and then her ghost begins to appear around her family's house as seen in video and photos. Or does it? What I liked about this movie is that it had a good creepiness factor and it never went over the top It's shot like a documentary and has a realistic feel to it. Like all movies about things supernatural it asks the audience to take a leap once in a while but never so much that it completely ruins the film.

7/10

Now You See Me

Why oh why do I watch movies I know I'm not going to like? This is a heist film with an interesting angle in that four illusionists are the thieves. But the movie is farcical yet takes itself very seriously. It's just a horrible piece of shit. If you have the choice of scrubbing the kitchen floor on your hands and knees or seeing this movie, then get to work. You'll be much happier.

2/10

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The Iron Horse

8/10 for historical importance
6/10 for how well it holds up today

This silent Western about the building of the transcontinental railroad really put John Ford on the map as a director. While the story comes across as clunky and cliched today, this film established a lot of the storytelling conventions of the Western and also shows many of the trademarks of Ford's films in particular.

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
I watched the first half hour of The Tree of Life and I'm not so sure I'm in for the other two hours.

Normally I'm a big fan of slow moving, beautifully shot yet pretentious films, but I don't know if I can make it through this one. Sean Penn is Brad Pitt's son? What?

Top Bottom