• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Pyramid

A huge pyramid is discovered beneath the ground near the above-ground Giza Pyramids. A father-daughter archeological team along with her rover-commanding boyfriend is working on the thing and they are followed around by a two person camera crew.

So what's it going to be?

Space portal/Aliens?
A long lost civilization that has lived under ground and evolved in strange ways over thousands and thousands of years?
An entrance to another dimension?
A doorway to the afterlife?

Grain storage?

Juan in a Million

A guy wakes up after a nap and everyone on the planet is gone.

Its a classic sic-fi theme that's been done many times, but it seems like no one's ever really nailed it. And unfortunately, this film doesn't either. It has some moments of suspense where it gets really intriguing, but those moments are all towards the tail end of the movie.

Watch the first 12-15 minutes. Then fast forward to about the 40 minute mark. I promise you will have missed nothing. Then watch for another 10 minutes or so--maybe 15. Then fast forward to about the one-hour and twenty minute mark and watch the rest. And when you're baffled by the final shot in the movie, don't worry. Nothing leading up to the final scene is explained by anything that comes before it.

It isn't a terrible film, but for the majority of the movie nothing happens. There's some garbled message about loneliness, connecting with people, artificiality and etc. but it doesn't present any of it in a novel way.

5/10

The Crimson Pirate

9/10

An incredibly entertaining swashbuckler which hits exactly the right tone--light and fun all the way through, but just serious enough that it isn't outright parody. Much of the entertainment value comes from watching Burt Lancaster (the title character) and his lifelong sidekick Nick Cravat going through their very acrobatic paces; the two were once a circus acrobat team and many of the action sequences are designed to show off their skills. Also worth watching are Eva Bartok as a gorgeous damsel in distress and Torin Thatcher as Lancaster's first mate, an old-school pirate who talks sort of like a Quaker (lots of "thees" and "thous").

Ran (9/10)

Akira Kurosawa's 1985 epic. It's king Lear with Samurais. A king (daimyo) retires at the apex of his career. He has lived a long and successful life. The golden years of his life he wishes to retire, focus on pleasure. He leaves his kingdom in the hands of his capable sons. Who turn out to not be so capable after all and it all turns to shit. Of course his least favourite son turn out to be the most capable and dependable son after all. It's got many themes. But above all it's just a joy to look at. It's beautifully filmed. Kurosawa uses colours very effectively in this film. I docked a point for angry acting. Way too much anger. It's just not believable. Well... the story isn't believable anyway. It's way too fairy taily. Yet supposedly based on a true story. Well well.

I think it's funny how the main theme is about losing one's way in life and in the last scene a guy physically drops a depiction of Buddha. It's not a spoiler since... well... this is a classic story and if you've been around for a bit you'll figure out where this film is heading real fast. It's not a problem. Since the film isn't about the story. It's about character development and great cinematography. Boy is it pretty.

A fun little detail I noticed this time around is how the daimyo has kubuki-theatre make-up. It's not subtle. And as the film progresses he looks more and more like a puppet. I'm not sure what the significance of this is, but I'm sure Kurosawa is trying to make some sort of point. Maybe it's as simple as a nod to Shakespeare. That this too is just theatre.

If you like big battle scenes this is the film for you. Loads of gory battles with hundreds of extras. All beautifully filmed. Well done Kurosawa.

Ran (9/10)

Akira Kurosawa's 1985 epic. It's king Lear with Samurais. A king (daimyo) retires at the apex of his career. He has lived a long and successful life. The golden years of his life he wishes to retire, focus on pleasure. He leaves his kingdom in the hands of his capable sons. Who turn out to not be so capable after all and it all turns to shit. Of course his least favourite son turn out to be the most capable and dependable son after all. It's got many themes. But above all it's just a joy to look at. It's beautifully filmed. Kurosawa uses colours very effectively in this film. I docked a point for angry acting. Way too much anger. It's just not believable. Well... the story isn't believable anyway. It's way too fairy taily. Yet supposedly based on a true story. Well well.

I think it's funny how the main theme is about losing one's way in life and in the last scene a guy physically drops a depiction of Buddha. It's not a spoiler since... well... this is a classic story and if you've been around for a bit you'll figure out where this film is heading real fast. It's not a problem. Since the film isn't about the story. It's about character development and great cinematography. Boy is it pretty.

A fun little detail I noticed this time around is how the daimyo has kubuki-theatre make-up. It's not subtle. And as the film progresses he looks more and more like a puppet. I'm not sure what the significance of this is, but I'm sure Kurosawa is trying to make some sort of point. Maybe it's as simple as a nod to Shakespeare. That this too is just theatre.

If you like big battle scenes this is the film for you. Loads of gory battles with hundreds of extras. All beautifully filmed. Well done Kurosawa.

So what does "Ran" mean?

Ran (9/10)

So what does "Ran" mean?

Chaos/rebellion/disturbed, in both Chinese and Japanese. It's apparently an Asian/Buddhist concept. And I suppose this is why it wasn't translated?

Ran (9/10)

So what does "Ran" mean?

Used to travel fast on foot.

It is the past participle of 'to run'.

;)

La Reine Margot/Queen Margot

8/10

This historical romance/epic is set during the French Wars of Religion and adapted from a novel by Alexandre Dumas. Whether it depicts that historical era accurately or not, I do not have enough expertise to say; however, it has everything a Dumas adaptation should have--action, intrigue, romance and spectacle. Also, given that a major event the film recreates is the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, it's not surprising that there is graphic, bloody violence. Isabelle Adjani, in the title role, won the Cesar (French equivalent of an Oscar) for Best Actress, one of five or six Cesars this one brought home.

The Purge 2: Anarchy

You know a movie sucks when it espouses, for the most part, your own social and political beliefs, and then embarrasses you by taking those views to the Idiot-th degree.

Congratulations to whomever made this movie; you managed to perpetuate conservative disgust for Hollywood and annoy the living hell out of the people who you thought would cheer this movie on.

So fuck you for that.

2/10

Creed 8/10

A really well done movie about Rocky Balboa training the son of Apollo Creed to be a boxer. The interaction between Rocky and Creed was well done and the choreography of the fight scenes was amazing. All the characters outside of the the main two kind of fell flat and that made the story somewhat two-dimensional, but the main ones did a good enough job to make the film well worth seeing.

Kingsman - The Secret Service - 8/10

This was a really well done movie with a lot of good humour that didn't take itself too seriously while at the same time avoiding becoming a farce. The action scenes were great as well.

Well worth seeing.

I gave up halfway through. It started off ok, the action scene in the pub was good but it was all downhill from there.

John Wick, 6/10: Stars Kenau Reeves as retired hitman and recently widowed John Wick. He is gassing up his vintage Ford Mustang when he receives an unsolicited offer for the car from a shady Russian bloke. He exchanges insults (in Russian) with the man and go their separate ways. The Russian guy breaks into Wick's house, steals his car and kills his dog. Killed the dog !! Oh lordy, the shit really hits the fan now and Wick goes on a vendetta to kill the Russian man who is the son of his former employer. Lots of implausible action sequences which are filmed in an unusual style, like a video game. It was watchable and reasonably entertaining throughout.

The Salvation 6.5/10

A mediocre laconic Western revenge film. IMO, its overwhelming redeeming qualities are its length (91 minutes), its laconic dialogue and the supporting presence of Man. U. great Eric Cantona. Mads Mikkelsen is the lead who kills the men who rape and kill his wife and who kill his son. The violent brother of the rapist then goes after Mikkelsen. Eva Green and Jonathan Pryce also have supporting roles.

Porco Rosso: 6/10

Another Miyazaki film I didn't care much for. The 6 above is for its beauty, which is expected in a Studio Ghibli film, though this one seemed a bit rougher than typical, though by design no doubt. The deductions come mainly for plot. None of the characters seemed particularly interested in what was happening, despite it suppoedly being a rolicking tale of airborne renegades, led by the titular character, who is a pig for some reason, despite everyone else being a human. Seriously, I found the fact that the main character was cursed to be a pig to be an unnecessary distraction. He was apparently cursed after being the sole survivor of an aerial battle in WWI. Apparently (I keep saying apparently because it is never fully explained) this is a self-inflicted curse, due to his great survivor's guilt; which makes it seem totally unnecessary. He could be crippled by survivor's guilt without transforming into a pig, which, by the way doesn't seem to affect him at all, as he still can talk, has hands, walks upright, and has no difficulty flying his plane. Also, no one seems to mind that he is a pig. The anthropomorphic, talking pig is an accepted part of society, and what problems he has with other characters stems from his career choices, not that he is a fucking pig. He may have overcome his curse at the end, though it is never explicitly said. Again, it would have been just as effective if there were no curse, just him coming to terms with life.

There is also no tension in the movie, despite it containing a number of aerial gun battles. The tone is entirely off. At no point do any of the characters behave as if anything is at stake, despite losing their job, getting their plane shot down, being pursued by the fucking fascist secret police, being forced into marriage, etc. I know this is ostensibly a children's movie, despite heavy themes of survivor's guilt, fascism, unrequited love, sexism, hostage taking, forced marriage, etc. I mean, if you are going to make a movie with these themes, you can't make the 'its just a kid's movie' excuse.

I also saw Decoys, 2/10. Another disappointing Canadian horror movie with a winter theme. Not that I expected anything good, but how do you screw up the premise of aliens disguising themselves as sorority girls and preying on frat boys? Answer: by taking yourself too seriously.

Death of a President

It's about a fictional assassination of George W. Bush that takes place in 2007. Dubbya, bumbling his way into Chicago, must run a gauntlet of enraged protesters before giving a speech to a room full of very rich, friendly donors and political supporters. If I give any more details it begins to spoil the movie.

The filmmakers manage to mix in real life protest footage, speeches, and other events with the fictional work. At times there is some bad CGI that shows the fictional characters standing next to Dubbya. One of those fictional characters is an over the top sycophant and another is an over the top asshole police chief. But the rest of the actors do a really good job in the parts they've been cast. That's the strength of the film--the dialogue and acting.

The assassination scenario is a tad implausible, but not to the point where it distracts you too much. And when Cheney gets sworn in you just know the shit is about to go down.

But then it doesn't.

And that's the weakness of the film. They make an admiral effort to portray the event and its aftermath with as much realism as possible. At times that works, at times they adhere too strictly to it, to the point where it becomes mundane. And in the end it all just becomes kind of meh. But it's still worth watching because it's better than most other movies out there.

6/10

Black Sea

Jude Law stars as a Scottish sub captain who did that in the navy (apparently) before going on to captain subs for private enterprises. Then he gets released from his job because submarine captains aren't really necessary anymore. There is much to-do about how similarly situated private-industry submarine personnel have lost their jobs to technology.

Is that even a thing?

Who knows? But underwater Nazi gold is a thing, and so you must keep watching.

This talk of Nazi gold in a sunken submarine leads to A, B, and C and we find Jude Law, a sub captain with 30 years of experience hiring the dumbest, most aggressive, short-sighted, greedy fucks who have ever set foot onto an really old, rusted out, barely seaworthy Russian submarine. Half the crew is British. Half the crew is Russian.

Anyway, the Russians put some kid who's never been on a sub in charge of turning valves that can kill the guy working below if he makes a single error. That's what anyone would do. Of course. Believe it or not, the kid makes a mistake and a Russian dies. This explosion kills another guy too and sends the boat to the bottom of the sea.

Still, there's Nazi gold, so you have to keep watching.

In a series of highly implausible events, they find the Nazi sub, find the gold, and were in the process of moving it back to their sub, when The Stupid finally got too much to bear and I turned it off.

It was a great idea, executed so poorly, that the writers should be prevented from ever setting a scene within 100 miles of any body of water and the director should never be allowed to film a scene containing more than a jug of anything containing liquid or a surface made of metal.

2/10

Why not just send a robot sub to look for the Nazi gold? Jude Law is a national treasure and there's no need to risk him so unecessarily.

Back
Top Bottom