• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Spiderman 2: 7/10

This movie got some iffy reviews so I went in with lowered expectations and was pleasantly surprised by it. The action scenes were good and they captured the somewhat goofy and wisecracking nature of Spiderman quite well. The scenes with Peter and Gwen were really good and the actors had great chemistry together. The final scene with his fight with Rhino was just way too corny on too many levels, though, and the Hobgoblin was dumb after Harry Osburne having a really good role before putting on the suit and laming up the place. They could have left the part of the storyline dealing with the Sinister Six to the next movie where their storylines could have spent more time in the editing room.

One thing I did really like was the fact that Gwen died. In so many action movies, they have the tired old trope of the hero trying to distance himself from the woman he loves to prevent her from being harmed by his enemies and then she blathers on about how it's her choice to face the risk and then he saves her and they live happily ever after. In this one, they talk about the risk and all that but the first time a supervillian notices she's with him, she's dead two minutes later. The consequences of being a regular person linked to a superhero are played out in the fashion one would expect them to be and the rationale behind wearing the mask in the first place is validated.

Le nom des gens/The Names of Love

8/10

A quirky French comedy/romance; don't expect this one to adhere to the conventions of Hollywood rom-coms. Do watch it to see a very good performance from Sara Forestier, which garnered her a Cesar (French equivalent of an Oscar) for Best Actress. Forestier, who I've been following for several years now, is sort of a French cinema equivalent to Jennifer Lawrence: made a big splash while still a teenager, won the top acting award before she turned 25, etc. I am looking forward to enjoying her work for many years to come.

Wall Street Money Never Sleeps Oliver Stone has produced another blockbuster. Not often sequels are better than the original, but this one is an exception. Highly recommended for those who haven't yet seen it.
9.5/10

Under the Skin - 8/10

Very artsy sci-fi starring Scarlett Johansson. In fact, she's the only name in the movie. A very gutsy film choice for her, though I don't think it needed a big name for that role, it wasn't a very difficult task acting wise, but it was brave.

I gather it's been received as a polarizing love it or hate it film, as art films tend to be. It's not action packed, and very little dialogue and there's a grating score. I'm on the love it side though. I felt like I was watching something fresh. It's filmed in Scotland and uses locals in some roles (which I guess is a red flag for some of you :)). I've read that some of the scenes were filmed without the people knowing first. Some of their dialogue would benefit from subtitles. I don't want to give away much else since it's probably better not knowing what's in store.

She plays an alien who preys on humans by driving around town and picking them up and ]uring them back to her lair where she disposes of them in an unusual way. The locals are the men she picks up. I'll also mention there is a scene involving a baby in peril that may be disturbing.

Oh yeah, she does get full frontal nekkid in the movie, but I wouldn't go see it just for that since the scenes are dimly lit. You could find the screen grabs online if interested.

Labor Day 7/10

You've seen this story before. Can't really spoil this one but just in case:

Single mother meets man, are pulled apart, and eventually reunited to live happily ever after.
So he's an escaped con, escapes while at the hospital, kinda kidnaps and holes up at single mom's house, falls in love, plays dad, kid runs his mouth, police catch on, he goes back to prison, serves his time, gets out and hooks back up with mom.

Now he's just plain old Josh Brolin, but she's Kate Winslet glistening with perspiration, in a well worn summer dress. So it's worth four dollars and seven points.

The Last Tycoon [drama] 1976. A little long in the tooth now but this underrated film sees Robert De Niro at his best and also starring pretty boy Tony Curtis who gave us the delicious Jamie Lee Curtis. :innocent1:

8/10

Near Dark

8/10

With overtones of Westerns, film noir and "lovers on the run" movies, Kathryn Bigelow's first film as a solo director is an inventive take on vampire movies. Don't expect fancy spfx from this modestly-budgeted 1980s film, and definitely do not expect sweet-natured, sparkly vampires a la Meyer. Do expect a tightly-paced film with suspense and good character development, as well as good performances from a solid cast headed by Adrian Pasdar and Jenny Wright, joined by Lance Henrikson, Jenette Goldstein and especially Bill Paxton

2009 Film
The Box is a 2009 American psychological horror film based on the 1970 short story "Button, Button" by Richard Matheson, which was previously adapted into an episode of the 1980s iteration of The Twilight Zone.

Starring Cameron Diaz, [who esle] Frank Langela and a cast of talented little known stars who make this an excellent thriller in the Twilight Zone genre. Langela is at his brilliant best and Diaz at her beautiful best.
8/10

Released in France under the original title "La Môme", "la Vie En Rose" retraces the life of Edith Piaf. Marion Cotillard via her own uniqueness was able to capture Edith's uniqueness. There were moments when I could have thought it was Edith interpreting herself in her own role. Edith's biography is enhanced throughout the film by the thoughtful connection of specific songs she would interpret, to the dramatic episodes of her life. The crowning moment being the final scene of Edith's last hours, while she relives her performance of " Non, je ne regrette rien".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8xtj9gFE90

Some of you may be familiar with the song from the movie "Inception".

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

A watered-down version of a Tennessee Williams play (or so I read). Paul Newman plays Brick, a man who for some mysterious reason has no sexual interest in a devastatingly hot Elizabeth Taylor.

After much melodrama, we get to the reason, and it's not very satisfying. As I understand it, Williams' original play made more sense.

Once I accepted that this was presented as a play and not a movie, I found the style and pacing less irritating.

6.5/10 for the movie. 11/10 for Liz :)

The Big Easy

8/10

No prize for guessing that this romantic crime film is set in New Orleans, LA. The crime thriller/police corruption elements of this story are executed very competently but not distinctively. Much more impressive are the film's effective evocation of the unique culture of what is probably America's most cheerfully corrupt major city, and even more so the steaming chemistry between leads Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin. A nice supporting cast features good work from Ned Beatty, Lisa Jane Persky, and playwright/stage actor Charles Ludlam in one of his few film roles.

The Postman Always Rings Twice A sizzling hot movie about infidelity. Stars my all time fav actor Jack Nicholson and a once delicious Jessica Lange. Made in 1981, and so much better than the remake.

7.5/10

Bring Me the Head of ALfredo Garcia 7.5/10

Standard Sam Peckinpah fare, all slow-motion kills and unsympathetic characters, with the usual pessimistic ending. Warren Oates and Isela Vega gave very good performances as Bennie and Elita.

Godzilla, Mothra and Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS
6/10
This is a solid little movie
The acting is all kinda average (about par for a Godzilla movie) but there are no really bad performances so it doesn't really matter in the end
The action is all well done and it has alot of back and forth monster fights to satisfy the need for destruction and considering it's short run time I was surprised just how much time was devoted to giant monsters (And a robot) just destroying stuff
Now the biggest problem was the overall script, which comes in with a really good idea (Mothra will protect Tokyo in exchange for the humans destroying Mechagodzilla) but it isn't really followed up on and the human characters just sort of half heartedlyn pursue this plotline before the end just kinda gives up on it
So that kinda felt like wasted potential
But then again this movie has alot of giant monster fights, and with a short run time it doesn't overstay itself
So in the end just a solid installment in the Godzilla saga

Jackie Brown (1997)- unfortunately, only better than average, in spite of everything. It should've been a winner. Based on 'Rum Punch' by Elmore Leonard, directed by Quentin Taratino. Pam Grier as Jackie Brown is beautiful, Robert Forster got an Oscar nomination as the bail bondsman Max Cherry. Samuel L Jackson is the villian, and people like Robert DeNiro and Michael Keaton in supporting roles.

Good story, too, but it was supposed to be an homage to the old 'blacksploitation' flicks, and gets lost in the dialogue. Too much, 'Huh fool, whatchewtalkin' bout muthafucka', and shit like all that.

Still worth watching, has some fun moments.

Ha, Daioh.I can always tell when it's you reviewing from the title of the film in the post. You catch some out there titles dude.

Godzilla, Mothra and Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS
6/10
This is a solid little movie
The acting is all kinda average (about par for a Godzilla movie) but there are no really bad performances so it doesn't really matter in the end
The action is all well done and it has alot of back and forth monster fights to satisfy the need for destruction and considering it's short run time I was surprised just how much time was devoted to giant monsters (And a robot) just destroying stuff
Now the biggest problem was the overall script, which comes in with a really good idea (Mothra will protect Tokyo in exchange for the humans destroying Mechagodzilla) but it isn't really followed up on and the human characters just sort of half heartedlyn pursue this plotline before the end just kinda gives up on it
So that kinda felt like wasted potential
But then again this movie has alot of giant monster fights, and with a short run time it doesn't overstay itself
So in the end just a solid installment in the Godzilla saga

Watched The Intouchables last night. Very good French film about a disadvantaged criminal/beneficiary that ends up as a caregiver to a very wealthy quadriplegic in Paris. Some great moments, excellent humour and fantastic acting. Well worth a watch and based on a true story 8/10.

I watched an oldie action thriller from Clunk Eastwood last night. Tightrope Not one of his best in the same genre, but entertaining nevertheless. 6/10 Next week the same digital channel is showing Magnum Force the movie that made the saying........Go Ahead..Make My Day famous. :p

I watched an oldie action thriller from Clunk Eastwood last night. Tightrope Not one of his best in the same genre, but entertaining nevertheless. 6/10 Next week the same digital channel is showing Magnum Force the movie that made the saying........Go Ahead..Make My Day famous. :p

It's interesting how many people know the line but can't name the movie it came from.

Back
Top Bottom