• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Anyone disagree with me that outside of Dune; this is the worst crop of summer movies coming out in my lifetime. Not a single movie out now or coming in the near future interests me in the least. Thank god the Ms are good this year!

Anyone disagree with me that outside of Dune; this is the worst crop of summer movies coming out in my lifetime. Not a single movie out now or coming in the near future interests me in the least. Thank god the Ms are good this year!
Yeah movies have been trash owing to the writer's strike's delayed impact, I think.

Are there any movies coming out period? I'm usually not in the know on cinema, but I generally have a slight clue, and it just feels like there are barely any movies coming out this year. I've been looking forward to Deadpool 3 for a long while. No other Marvel films at the moment.

The American Society of Magical Negroes. I give it a 1/10 because it makes white people uncomfortable.
I’d really like your honest opinion on this movie . The concept is great.

This is my personal experience watching the movie. As a Black person working in an office where I am the only Black employee (in the office that is), I found it hilarious. I identified with the mission of the "Magical Negro" characters catering to white people to save the lives of Black people (in my case my career) in a humorous way because, to me, reality is the best source for jokes. Sure, the movie has corny elements and some poor acting (what comedy doesn't?), but I couldn't stop laughing at seeing my reality presented in this film.

I've read reviews, and in my opinion, the negative ones seem to stem from people comparing it to the film American Fiction, not liking the actors, or expecting some genius-level epiphany that adds to the concept as if there exists an obligation.

I think the comparison to American Fiction is unfair because the only commonality, in my opinion, is presenting the Black experience in a way some audience members haven't seen before. Both are brilliant films that serve their purpose, at least to me, and it's counterproductive to pit them against each other rather than just enjoy them as we have done with many comedies in the past. It's not like other comedies haven't shared the same formula and pushed the same tropes for years. Why is it suddenly different for this one?

10\10 For the laughs. To me It served its purpose. However I do understand that not all forms of comedy is for everyone. Never has been.

It's available for rental on Amazon, but I wouldn't recommend spending money on it. It's a niche comedy that only a few people might find funny. I mean it can be enlighten to some but that's not really the purpose of a comedy.

It's available for rental on Amazon, but I wouldn't recommend spending money on it. It's a niche comedy that only a few people might find funny. I mean it can be enlighten to some but that's not really the purpose of a comedy.
I saw the reviews. The vast majority were one star but I attributed that to butt heart white people.

I saw the reviews. The vast majority were one star but I attributed that to butt heart white people.
Or maybe they just ran out of white guilt:

Dune:
I hated the book. Disliked the old movie. Skipped this one.
Call me weird. I love the book and loved the movie.
I loved the book and liked the miniseries. Call me weirder.

I loved the book (though not the sequels). Most of my friends then were sci-fi fans and almost all loved the book.

I wasn't too fond of the 1984 movie but preferred it over the recent remake. Especially annoying about the recent remake was that Dune was actually Dune Part 1 -- False advertising! Dune Part 2 also ended on a "cliff-hanger" -- Chani leaves Paul. Is that how the novel ended??

I didn't know about the miniseries. Should I download and watch?

- - - - - - - - - - -

Off-topic rant: I Googled just now to confirm the 1984 date of Dune, the movie. I am presented with pictures of the actors including the star. But that is NOT the Kyle MacLachlan who starred in Dune (1984)! That's Kyle MacLachlan forty years OLDER.

Raise your hand if you agree that actor's pictures should date to the approximate date of the acting being depicted. (Otherwise to be consistent, should Bette Davis' picture be the most recent photo of her cadaver? :cool: )

Godzilla Minus One
6/10

There's a lot that's really good about this movie. It touches on some subjects that no other Godzilla movie has and it's not a bloated attempt to overload the audience with CGI special effects in order to distract everyone from how bad the actual movie is. No doubt there's CGI used, but the filmmakers were restrained as much as they could be with it.

The bad part is that it's really melodramatic and the dialogue/exposition gets so bad at times, I almost turned it off. I justified not turning it off by briefly convincing myself that it was a nod to the original Godzilla movies, but most of those were schlocky and stupid, so why put it in an otherwise good film? The answer to that is that it wasn't a nod, it was just melodramatic all on its own.

Anyway, I'll give it a light recommend because outside of the melodrama and exposition, it's a good and interesting movie. It's kind of like biting into a cookie that you thought was chocolate chip, but turns out that it's one of those evil raisin cookies, but you keep eating it because the rest of the cookie is good.

I didn't know about the miniseries. Should I download and watch?
I'm not sure how to rate the Dune Miniseries and the Children of Dune Miniseries. They certainly don't deserve to be rated together though.

I'd say the Dune miniseries is worth an "only if you're bored" rating whilst Children of Dune is "Yeah, not bad but you must manage your expectations" kind of thing. Both are pretty faithful so if you've read the first book then go straight into Children of Dune, you are not missing out on anything.

FYI the Children of Dune miniseries is the books Dune Messiah and Children of Dune with some foreshadowing that never played out as the lead actor found better money playing a different psychic mutant.

There have been entire decades in my life when I watched zero movies! Now I seem to be making up for lost time: When all the attractive possibilities on Netflix are exhausted, instead of cleaning up my room or doing something constructive, I pick one of the less attractive Netflix choices and watch it.

I just watched The Guilty with Jake Gyllenhaal. It gets 6.3 IMDB points, but I'd give it 3.6 at most. I'd rank it even lower but then some of you might waste your eyeballs to see how a movie could rank so low.

The camera is on Jake's character throughout the film and he hardly moves except to visit bathroom and vomit near the end. It's a minor spoiler to say that the plot revolves around Who is mentally ill? In fact it is Jake's character that is so deranged one wonders why he isn't taken away in hand-cuffs.

ETA: Give me some credit for sanity. I did watch much of the movie at 1.5X speed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom