• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Morpheus is one of the main characters in the movie, and one of the most important established characters in the environment. He isn't some out of no where, magical character. He is one of the leaders.

The question to ask about the Oracle is whether the Matrix meant for her to be a magical negro or it was just random chance. In earlier iterations, did humans not react well enough if she were a magical white woman?
I don't know...This country has a lot of "white guilt" over slavery.
There is also the Mammy Stereotype...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammy_stereotype
But what about Mary Poppins? She ain't black, but she's very magical...:shrug:
Is that in regard to how rich kids of the Victorian era were "mothered" by nannies? Is there some guilt for that lack of involvement? (Similar to the Southern "Mammy"...)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ferrari
7/10
Adam Driver really looks like he really got into this film.
a good period piece movie.

Saw the movie...I understand your point. Gospel.

I'm still thinking about the magical nanny in Mary Poppins...She is white, very magical, not at all the "mammy" type, but very beautiful, and attractive...What is that about?

Ok, I just found this...https://www.arcstudiopro.com/blog/breaking-down-mary-poppins-according-to-dan-harmons-story-circle#:~:text=Mary%20Poppins%20is%20a%20story,It's%20a%20great%20character%20arc.
We could refer to this trope as the "Magical Cracker". Or in street slang, "Magical White Bitch". :cool: I recall a TV show as a kid called "Nanny and the Professor". The nanny seemed to have some implied supernatural abilities. Then, of course, there's "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie". I think you're on to something Thomas II.

Saw the movie...I understand your point. Gospel.

I'm still thinking about the magical nanny in Mary Poppins...She is white, very magical, not at all the "mammy" type, but very beautiful, and attractive...What is that about?

Ok, I just found this...https://www.arcstudiopro.com/blog/breaking-down-mary-poppins-according-to-dan-harmons-story-circle#:~:text=Mary%20Poppins%20is%20a%20story,It's%20a%20great%20character%20arc.
We could refer to this trope as the "Magical Cracker". Or in street slang, "Magical White Bitch". :cool: I recall a TV show as a kid called "Nanny and the Professor". The nanny seemed to have some implied supernatural abilities. Then, of course, there's "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie". I think you're on to something Thomas II.
I think so too...I'm on to it...

That article hints it could be Hestia...hmmm...Who else could it be?...Tell me... :unsure:

A witch...who flies...who comes and goes as the weather changes...

Another "magical" white guy is Cary Grant, playing an angel, in the "Bishop's Wife" with Loretta Young and David Niven.
(Available for free In Youtube)

Also the "magical" Asian guy in Kill Bill

pai_mei_teaching_bride_punch.png

Then Merlin...

And Jesus did magic too...

"Mary Poppins" is indeed a magical witch. This is a very interesting article on the subject https://www.arcjournals.org/pdfs/ijsell/v2-i6/5.pdf

"Abstract:
Pamela Lyndon Travers was born in Australia, pursued her writing career in England, and became world famous in children’s literature for her books about Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins was adapted for film in 1964, and later for the stage. In the character of Mary Poppins, Travers subverted the stereotype of the witch as evil. Unlike conventional portrayals of witches that were based on the Christian church’s demonization of powerful women in the Middle Ages, Mary Poppins is not a cannibalistic hag, but both nanny and teacher to her charges. That she is a caretaker of children does not lessen her magical power. This article explores the witch’s place in history and in fairy tales, and how Travers subverted the negative stereotype through Mary’s dual role as nanny and witch, taking into account Maureen Anderson’s ideas on the metaphor of the witch, Cristina Pérez Valverde’s discourse on the marginalization of women, and Sheldon Cashdan’s theory on the function of the witch in fairy tales. Mary’s magical powers give the Banks’ children a new perspective and philosophy of life; drawing on mythic figures from a pre-Christian era, Travers’s storytelling magic does the same for young readers. "
Keywords: witch, nanny, magic power

"1. INTRODUCTION
P. L. Travers (1899-1996) was an actress, a journalist, a drama critic, an essayist, and a lecturer, but she is best known as the creator of Mary Poppins. Travers wrote eight Mary Poppins books, beginning with Mary Poppins in 1934, and ending with Mary Poppins and the House Next Door in 1988.1What Stacy Russo calls ―Travers‘ lifelong spiritual journey‖ (2006, p. 60) is in evidence in her travel essays as well as her other writings; 2it also shines through in her treatment of Mary Poppins, who began life as a brief comic turn for a newspaper column. When Travers‘s friend and mentor the poet and theosophist George Russell suggested she write about a witch, Travers was inspired to turn her comic nanny into ―a shapeshifter.‖3 The children‘s book that resulted was popular with children, including the young Sylvia Plath, and even of interest to adults like T. S. Eliot. Walt Disney discovered Mary Poppins through his daughter‘s delight in the books; it would take him fifteen years to convince Travers to let him adapt her character to film. When the Disney version of Mary Poppins came out in 1964, making its author rich, Travers was so upset by what Caitlin Flanagan calls ―the strange kind of violence‖ the film had wreaked on her creation that she wept at the opening, even as the rest of the audience gave the film a standing ovation. The magical nanny had achieved worldwide fame, but at the cost of being, in a sense, de-witched. In the Disney version Mary Poppins is more like a fairy godmother than a witch, and her task is to restore the absentee Banks parents to their children, to create a conventionally happy family, one in which children are not raised by servants. The literary Mary Poppins was a different creature and her task more mysterious. Travers‘s Mary Poppins is not sweetly helpful or simply good; she was supposed to be a witch, with all the power that the term implies. How exactly did Travers make Mary Poppins into a witch? Travers studied world mythology andmysticism,4and brought a wealth of knowledge to the undertaking. She did not think of her witch in terms of the stereotype that has come down to us from the Middle Ages, the wicked witch in a pointy hat who eats children. Travers saw Mary Poppins as an even more ancient type of witch –a pre-Christian version of a powerful, magical woman, a priestess to older gods and goddesses, a medicine woman communing with the spirits of animals and plants, tuned into the magic of the natural world. Before we look at how Travers subverted the stereotype of the witch and the Christian prejudice against a strong, solitary, powerful female that accompanied it, we need to understand the stereotype itself, both its historical roots and its role in fairy tales."

"2. THE WITCH AS GODDESS AND SCAPEGOAT
In the pre-Christian era of polytheism, when goddesses were worshipped along with gods, stories about powerful, magical women abounded. Some of these women may have been revered initially as goddesses, priestesses, or healers, and later fallen under the more maleficent term ―witch‖. For example, the enchantress or witch Circe, who turned men into pigs in The Odyssey, also had wild wolves and lions on her island, ―fawning, swishing their long tails‖. Their presence and behavior links Circe the witch to an even older figure, the Mistress of Animals. Robert Tindall and Susana Bustos suggest that Circe was a folkloric remnant of this goddess, who appears in indigenous cultures worldwide as a reminder of the reciprocal connection between humans and animals(Tindall & Bustos, 2012, p.77, p.80).Other pre-Christian goddesses who may have been recast as ―witches‖ were the three who controlled birth, death, and fate through spinning the threads of an individual‘s life and cutting them at death. In Scandinavia these three goddesses were called the Norns, in Greece the Moeraeor the Fates, while ancient Saxons had a triple goddess called Wyrd. This goddess later became the Weird Sisters, portrayed by Shakespeare as the three witches stirring a witches‘ brew in a bubbling cauldron in Macbeth. The Celtic Ceridwen was also known for the magic brew in a cauldron she tended for a year and a day; the first three drops of the mixture conferred wisdom, the rest was a fatal poison. Scholars argue about whether, as Robert Graves suggests, Ceridwen was a dark aspect of the Threefold Goddess or simply a witch in a poem by the bard Taliesin in the late Middle Ages. In some cases, any powerful woman could be called a witch. In ancient Rome the term was applied to women who were financially independent and did not need to rely on men. In the Middle Ages, when the Christian church posited a male, monotheistic god, the situation of women worsened, and to be called a witch was to be in danger of losing one‘s life. Maureen Anderson states that any woman in the public eye was ―at risk of being called ‗witch‘‖ (2007, p.100), and any woman who did not seem virginal and/or maternal was presumed to be ―in league with the devil.‖ As well, ―any deviation from the accepted and enforced norm for femininity was suspected as witchcraft‖ (An gods, the Christian church began to portray women as the source of evil instead of the source of life. Through smearing the image of women and with witch-hunts in Europe and America, ―a patriarchy tried to control, to harness and almost succeeded to kill and silence one half of human population‖ (Anderson, 2007, p. 90). While there are stories of male witches, and men were certainly killed during the witch-hunts of the Middle Ages, most often the witch was identified as female, and as wicked. According to Anderson: The conception of the witch, compounded by the ever-restrictive roles of women, after the rise of Christianity, was directly connected to the idea of a Christian devil...[and] laced with the fear and suspicion of the feminine. Likewise, the power associated with witches and the feminine was consistently denounced by church officials and the political sphere. (2007, p.72)Herbalists, midwives, and indigenous healers who communed with nature spirits also were sometimes called witches, but the term ―witch‖ came to denote someone wholly evil. Thus, according to Barbara Walker, even ―healing became a crime punishable by death if it was practiced by a woman‖ (1983, p. 1089). She recounts the story of Alison Peirsoun of Byrehill, a woman who was ―so famous as a healing witch that the archbishop of St. Andrews sent for her when he was sick, and she cured him. Later he not only refused to pay her fee, but had her arrested, charged with witchcraft, and burned‖ (Walker, 1983, p. 1089).The historical treatment of someone suspected of witchcraft also can be linked to the treatment of the witch in classic fairy tales. The Malleus Maleficarum, or Hammer of Witches, a handbook that was used in the Middle Ages, tells how to identify witches since, ―for the sake of humanity, the church and the good of civilization, [they must] be caught, tortured and killed‖ (Anderson, 2007,p. 87). Many of the fairy tales from the Grimm brothers‘ collection were conceived when witch hunting was rife, and incorporated the details of actual witch hunts and punishments into theirplots.5 As we shall see, the portrayal of the witch in classic fairy tales reflects the attitude of those who carried out the witch hunts."
(Continues)

1 The other books are: Mary Poppins Comes Back (1935), Mary Poppins Opens the Door (1943), Mary Poppins in the Park (1952), Mary Poppins From A to Z (1962), Mary Poppins in the Kitchen (1975), and Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (1982).2 Travers contributed to the magazine Parabola: Myth and the Quest for Meaning, which featured such luminaries as Joseph Campbell, Ursula Le Guin, Pablo Neruda, and Italo Calvino, among others.3See .

How Priscilla, Queen of the Desert changed the world | Between A Frock & A Hard Place.

Truly beautiful. There is no rating that could reflect something this moving and culturally significant. I would also say surprising and hilarious and more human than anything I've seen lately or maybe ever. The documentary is on Youtube for free but you can rent the Priscilla movie on Youtube and probably other places as well. I don't think it matters which you see first as long as you see the documentary.

"Mary Poppins" is indeed a magical witch. This is a very interesting article on the subject https://www.arcjournals.org/pdfs/ijsell/v2-i6/5.pdf

"Abstract:
Pamela Lyndon Travers was born in Australia, pursued her writing career in England, and became world famous in children’s literature for her books about Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins was adapted for film in 1964, and later for the stage. In the character of Mary Poppins, Travers subverted the stereotype of the witch as evil. Unlike conventional portrayals of witches that were based on the Christian church’s demonization of powerful women in the Middle Ages, Mary Poppins is not a cannibalistic hag, but both nanny and teacher to her charges. That she is a caretaker of children does not lessen her magical power. This article explores the witch’s place in history and in fairy tales, and how Travers subverted the negative stereotype through Mary’s dual role as nanny and witch, taking into account Maureen Anderson’s ideas on the metaphor of the witch, Cristina Pérez Valverde’s discourse on the marginalization of women, and Sheldon Cashdan’s theory on the function of the witch in fairy tales. Mary’s magical powers give the Banks’ children a new perspective and philosophy of life; drawing on mythic figures from a pre-Christian era, Travers’s storytelling magic does the same for young readers. "
Keywords: witch, nanny, magic power

"1. INTRODUCTION
P. L. Travers (1899-1996) was an actress, a journalist, a drama critic, an essayist, and a lecturer, but she is best known as the creator of Mary Poppins. Travers wrote eight Mary Poppins books, beginning with Mary Poppins in 1934, and ending with Mary Poppins and the House Next Door in 1988.1What Stacy Russo calls ―Travers‘ lifelong spiritual journey‖ (2006, p. 60) is in evidence in her travel essays as well as her other writings; 2it also shines through in her treatment of Mary Poppins, who began life as a brief comic turn for a newspaper column. When Travers‘s friend and mentor the poet and theosophist George Russell suggested she write about a witch, Travers was inspired to turn her comic nanny into ―a shapeshifter.‖3 The children‘s book that resulted was popular with children, including the young Sylvia Plath, and even of interest to adults like T. S. Eliot. Walt Disney discovered Mary Poppins through his daughter‘s delight in the books; it would take him fifteen years to convince Travers to let him adapt her character to film. When the Disney version of Mary Poppins came out in 1964, making its author rich, Travers was so upset by what Caitlin Flanagan calls ―the strange kind of violence‖ the film had wreaked on her creation that she wept at the opening, even as the rest of the audience gave the film a standing ovation. The magical nanny had achieved worldwide fame, but at the cost of being, in a sense, de-witched. In the Disney version Mary Poppins is more like a fairy godmother than a witch, and her task is to restore the absentee Banks parents to their children, to create a conventionally happy family, one in which children are not raised by servants. The literary Mary Poppins was a different creature and her task more mysterious. Travers‘s Mary Poppins is not sweetly helpful or simply good; she was supposed to be a witch, with all the power that the term implies. How exactly did Travers make Mary Poppins into a witch? Travers studied world mythology andmysticism,4and brought a wealth of knowledge to the undertaking. She did not think of her witch in terms of the stereotype that has come down to us from the Middle Ages, the wicked witch in a pointy hat who eats children. Travers saw Mary Poppins as an even more ancient type of witch –a pre-Christian version of a powerful, magical woman, a priestess to older gods and goddesses, a medicine woman communing with the spirits of animals and plants, tuned into the magic of the natural world. Before we look at how Travers subverted the stereotype of the witch and the Christian prejudice against a strong, solitary, powerful female that accompanied it, we need to understand the stereotype itself, both its historical roots and its role in fairy tales."
After watching Mary Poppins and barely knowing anything about the source material, my reaction was much like that for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, WTF was that?! The color animation within the filming was great, but the movie was barely a movie at all. Yes, it was Disney, which does answer all of that. Disney is notorious for fucking with the coding.

I just watched The Adjustment Bureau, a Matt Damon film from 2011. I'd never heard of it, but it's on Netflix now. The genre is "science fiction romantic thriller." It gets 7.0 IMDB points, which might be a bit too high. I liked it despite its "silliness", perhaps because I'm a sucker for some romantic cornball.

I just watched The Adjustment Bureau, a Matt Damon film from 2011. I'd never heard of it, but it's on Netflix now. The genre is "science fiction romantic thriller." It gets 7.0 IMDB points, which might be a bit too high. I liked it despite its "silliness", perhaps because I'm a sucker for some romantic cornball.
Another Philip Dick adaptation.

Funny, I remember Mackie and Blunt being in it, but not Damon.

I just watched Dead Reckoning (1947) with Humphrey Bogart and Lizabeth Scott. It gets 7.1 IMDB points -- about right -- and ranks #37 on a ranked list of Bogart's 72 movies. The story-line is somewhat akin to that of Maltese Falcon, though that film is #3 on the list and gets 7.9 IMDB points.

If you're as much of a Bogart fan as I am, you'll want to watch it, though there are 36 better Bogie films!

I'd never heard of the film until a few days ago. I'd never heard of the co-star Lizabeth Scott either. Scott resembles Lauren Bacall a bit, and has been called "the most beautiful face of film noir during the 1940s and 1950s." But it takes me little effort, even just glancing at still photos of their two faces, to know which beauty was most magnificent. And Bacall's voice and demeanor are fantastic. Why didn't the girl who asked Bogart if he knew how to whistle star in this film? Maybe one movie per year was enough for her during the late 1940s. Or maybe -- Spoiler alert -- she did not want to play a villainess.

Back
Top Bottom