• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

C_Mucius_Scaevola

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
It's only a matter of time before this thread gets started here, so I might as well get the ball rolling ...

Anchorman 2
5/10

The first Anchorman was quite good, I thought, but this one's all pretty much the same only without the excuse of originality. A few good jokes, but the story didn't quite work for me.

What movie did you watch and how would you rate it?

Might as well resurrect this thread from the old place as well.

I finally got around to watching Falling Down. I don't remember which friend recommended it to me, but it was clearly overhyped. I found it rather mediocre. 4/10 stars sounds about right.

What really terrifies me is that a lot of people seemed to identify with the psychotic.

...and merged...

Also, A Good Day To Die Hard. 8/10, although these Movies (a podcast I like calls them Impossible White Man movies) deserve their own rating system.

Java Heat 5/10

Buddy copy movie sent in Indonesia with an American and a native as the mismatched pair. I liked the action scenes but the dialogue was annoyingly bad.

Irma La Douce 9.9/10

Great performances by Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. I honestly can't find anything wrong with this film.

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Well, it's a Marvel movie. It's a pretty good action flick with amusing scenes and sometimes surprisingly touching moments. I liked it more than the first movie. 9/10

Cars
4/10
So I finally saw this movie
And I have forgotten most of it already
I know people consider this movie to be a dark stain on the Pixar legacy
But truthfully it isn't really bad in any way
It is just a fully kids movie with nothing to appeal to anyone older (unlike pretty much every other Pixar movie)
So in the end it isn't bad but if you aren't a kid then just skip it because there is little here for you to watch

North by Northwest

10/10

Not Hitchcock's greatest artistic achievement, but a triumph of both popular entertainment and near-perfect execution when it comes to storytelling. We get some of Hitch's greatest set-pieces (crop-duster, art auction, Mount Rushmore), a fantastic cast (Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Martin Landau, etc.), and Bernard Herrmann's memorable score.

All the President's Men (1976)

An interesting film telling the story of the two journalists that uncovered the Watergate scandal - I was feeling a bit tired when I watched it which in hindsight was probably a mistake. It felt like the directors definitely did not do much to help spell out the story to the extent you would get these days and I probably needed to be in a more alert mood to follow 100%. Very interesting to see how the the mechanics of journalism at the time, spending a lot of time on interviews, techniques to encourage people to answer questions and give/confirm information. That said - it was not the most entertaining film I've seen in a while, it felt a bit too procedural. In addition neither Robert Redford nor Dustin Hoffman were particularly engrossing in their lead roles which was a bit disappointing.

7/10

All the President's Men (1976)

An interesting film telling the story of the two journalists that uncovered the Watergate scandal - I was feeling a bit tired when I watched it which in hindsight was probably a mistake. It felt like the directors definitely did not do much to help spell out the story to the extent you would get these days and I probably needed to be in a more alert mood to follow 100%. Very interesting to see how the the mechanics of journalism at the time, spending a lot of time on interviews, techniques to encourage people to answer questions and give/confirm information. That said - it was not the most entertaining film I've seen in a while, it felt a bit too procedural. In addition neither Robert Redford nor Dustin Hoffman were particularly engrossing in their lead roles which was a bit disappointing.

7/10

Yes. Those techniques are called "reporting," but modern journalists would get in trouble if they did things like that, because it would cost too much money.

Drive Angry

6.5/10

This supernatural action thriller isn't really outstanding, but I found it entertaining and energetic. Nicolas Cage getting top billing is often a warning sign, but this time out his typically monotone performance is surprisingly appropriate, once the viewer learns about the very unique prison his character has broken out of. The key performance, however, is Amber Heard, who functions as the audience surrogate--a waitress who proves to be pretty handy in a scrap. William Fichtner is terrific and Billy Burke is a spooky villain.

Dredd (2012)

7.5/10

Second viewing. I didn't really know what to expect going into this one when I first watched it and was very pleasantly surprised. This just works as an action film and as a hyper-violent take on the comic book genre that leaves Watchmen a bit out in the cold. Seeing it again makes me realise how well they did with the atmosphere, pacing and action in this film. Something else I really enjoyed was the fact it was not the whole world at stake or aliens/monsters attacking Mega (New York) City. It was just another day for the Judges and the city in the (very) dystopian world of the comic. For me this is the best comic book adaptation outside the Batman series and the Avengers - ironic considering the 1995 version is probably the worst

I wouldn't have thought of Karl Urban as the best choice for the lead but he does an excellent job - another review I read described his performance as 'ego-less' - he doesn't mind playing Dredd as per the comic and with half his face covered for the entire film. Despite being the titular lead he is not really the main character - that would be his psychic side-kick Anderson who does a great job a well.

Very entertaining film - though probably avoid if you don't like uber-violence.

Noah
6/10
Ok so I was kinda sceptical going into this movie but willing to at least give it a go
and while I wasn't blown away by it
It was entertaining
The story was a little slow and silly at times, but the actors all kept going and just worked with it so you can forgive the silly and sit through the slow easily enough
As for the characters I would put them into two camps, the good which includes Crowe, Watson, Winstone and Connelly, and the forgettable which is the three sons of noah who are all there but not really standing out
The effects are solid and the action well done
And so overall I would say that this was a genuine surpirse as I would not have thought this movie could work
and definitely a solid watch

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
7/10
Captain America is back
This movie does well with what it is trying to do
It moves the characters of Captain America, Black Widow and Nick Fury forward, it gives us some nice new additions in the form of Batroc, The Winter Soldier and Falcon as well as some tantalising cameos for Age of Ultron
I still thought that it would be nice to give Maria Hill more to do but that might just be me
Now the story is solidly done overall, not flawless but I will admit that it makes up for any shortcomings by being very entertaining
The actors all play their parts well and I liked all the new additions (and look forward to future cameos/appearances)
And the effects are all well done
So yeah if you like the Marvel movies then I would easily rank this one as one of their stronger movies

Tremors

8/10

A fun, fast-paced and unpretentious film with all the virtues of the best B-movie sci-films of the 1950s, it deserves its cult classic status. Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward are solid heroes, Finn Carter had her one big movie moment as the plucky geologist heroine, but the movie is stolen by Michael Gross as the slightly crazy, very heavily armed survivalist, Burt Gummer.

Noah (2014)

Aronofsky tried to flesh out a very thin story with his own mythology.

I thought it was a mess. Weak story and poor CG.

5/10

Body Heat

9/10

Lawrence Kasdan's directing debut is this, pardon the pun, sizzling contemporary noir. It doesn't really do anything new in the genre, but Kasdan basically seduces the viewer with a delicious take on a lot of the standard noir conventions, helped by terrific leads Kathleen Turner, as dangerous a femme fatale as you'll ever see onscreen, and William Hurt, who, like the best of film noir saps, thinks he's in control of events when he's actually being manipulated. Ted Danson is delightfully sarcastic in a supporting role.

Back
Top Bottom