• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Certain Prey Starring Mark Harmon and Taitiana Mastany. [never heard of her before] A cop matches wits with a hit woman and a corrupt lawyer. [aren't they all?]

As a crime drama it's worth a look. I believe it was made for TV. 6.5/10

Do you mean Tatiana Maslany? If so, she's currently kicking ass in the BBC America program Orphan Black.

The Thing (1982)
9/10
So I got to see the classic version of this movie
And I liked it
I thought the movie was well paced, the special effects all hold up pretty well, and all the parts are well acted throughout
I also liked how the characters acted throughout, and I thought the reactions were all genuine given the situation (No-one doing something stupid just for the sake of being stupid)
So I see why people still love this movie
And I very much agree with this movie being a classic

Planet Of The Apes the original with Charleston Heston. Another case of the original outshining any sequels by a long way. Although the sequel Return To The Planet Of Apes was just as good, especially the ending where the hero [Heston] realises he is on earth after discovering the remains of the Statue Of Liberty in a cave. Both films rated 8.5/10

How to Train a your Dragon 2 - 4/10

Very silly movie.

It would, however, be an awesome non-cartoon about two tribes of Vikings having themselves a dragon war. Keep the dragon war parts, have that blonde chick naked a bit more and lose the sappy Disney parts and you've got a young leader defending his tribe against an expansionist killer ... on the backs of warring dragons.

There's nothing that's not amazing about that.

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya - 10/10
Just gorgeous and emotional.
Long and slow, but it goes so well with the drawing style and the tone of the story, that I just didn't notice it, and even my kids didn't seem bored.
Now, don't expect nice, clear line, Ghibli drawing, that's not Miyazaki. I know some people were turned off by the seemingly loose art style. But for me, it worked great.
Also, don't go expect a silly uplifting Ghibli movie, that's Takahata we're talking about here (Grave of the Fireflies). Not as dark as the aforementioned Grave of the Fireflies, my kids didn't seem traumatized, but excuse me for having something in my eyes...

ETA: seen the subtitled version with the Japanese voices, and that was a good choice. The atmosphere wouldn't be the same with dubbed voices, and the movie relies so much on the immersion into its style, I really think a dub version wouldn't have worked so well. Really look around for a subtitled version.

Per qualche dollaro in più/For a Few Dollars More

8/10

The middle film in Leone's "Man With No Name" trilogy, with Clint Eastwood returning as the laconic protagonist, Lee Van Cleef beefing up the cast, and a cameo from Klaus Kinski. Leone's savage vision of the American West is not for all tastes, but it's amazing how influential it has become. There are a lot of recent films which could best be described as modern spaghetti Westerns.

Mystic River Another of Clint Eastwood directed films that excels in every way. Starring Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon. A trio of childhood friends are reunited by tragedy. As a drama it merits 9/10

Certain Prey Starring Mark Harmon and Taitiana Mastany. [never heard of her before] A cop matches wits with a hit woman and a corrupt lawyer. [aren't they all?]

"a corrupt lawyer" ... it's like saying "a white snowflake" or "a blue blueberry".

I hated the ending of what was otherwise a really good movie.

*You did it! *

*Eh... shrugs*

Credits Roll

WTF?!!?

The Thing (1982)
9/10
So I got to see the classic version of this movie
And I liked it
I thought the movie was well paced, the special effects all hold up pretty well, and all the parts are well acted throughout
I also liked how the characters acted throughout, and I thought the reactions were all genuine given the situation (No-one doing something stupid just for the sake of being stupid)
So I see why people still love this movie
And I very much agree with this movie being a classic

:)

Yes, it was a TV movie adapted from one of John Sandford's "Prey" novels.

My latest:

Byzantium

7.5/10

Although vampire movies almost inevitably get classified as "horror" films, this one is more of a character-driven psychological thriller. The story is not as compelling as it could be, but director Neil Jordan supplies a very effective, brooding atmosphere, while lead actresses Gemma Arterton and Saoirse Ronan are both very good.

You And Me And Dupree Newly weds can't get rid of their pesky best man after they offer him a place to stay. I'm no fan of Owen Wilson but I'm a leg man from way back. This flick [for me at least] is worth a peek just to behold Kate Hudson's beautiful pins. :eek: Besides I like Matt Dillon as well. Had not Hudson been in it I would rate this 4/10 at best, but Kate is worth another couple of points........6/10

X-men First Class. Yeah, I'm behind the times, so sue me.

A curious mix of impressed and not so impressed. Impressed at the set design, the quality of the acting, and to an extent, the script, which managed some genuinely poignant scenes without getting too cheesy. Kudos for getting some good 70s-style costumes and furnishings in there, as well as some 70s style attitudes without derailing the scenes.

On the other hand, the movie was a poorly planned mish-mash of scenes some committee thought would be kewl. So we have the ladies in the underwear scene, which fits the hellfire club, but has a main character stripping off for reasons that don't really make sense. We have the psychic sex scene, which is a staple of Emma Frost's character, but which she does in the movie apparently just to pass the time. We have the slow crash of the submarine, which bears a remarkable resemblance to the same slow crash scene in every science fiction film in the past decade. We have the stopping bullets in mid-air scene which looked good in the Matrix, but a bit silly for an entire artillery barrage (apparently battleship guns fire rockets that look like giant fireworks, rather than, you know, shells), we have the standard teen bullying scene, which again is a staple of the original story but doesn't really make sense in the middle of a CIA secure facility, and loses some of the impact when it's done by men in suits that we've never seen before, and never see again. We have Banshee learning to fly, which is interesting and fun, but involves a process that he patently isn't using later on in the film. And we have Darwin, the likeable black guy who is the first to die, a trope I thought we'd ditched with old war films. And so on.

The result is a fun film, but feel more like a clip show than a story. The plot is the personal development between the two main characters, the rest of the film is there for symbolism or window dressing, and unfortunately it shows. The events don't hang together, the characters don't really make sense, and a lot of the decisions feel arbitrary. 6.5/10

Edge of Tomorrow: 7.5/10

really just an all-around great movie - good near-future setting, reasonable and believable near-future tech, a moderately hokey yet completely-within-reason-for-a-sci-fi-action-movie premise, and a really pretty decent screenplay.
it's basically groundhog's day and starship troopers put in a blender with a sprinkling of warhammer 40k references, in every way in which that statement can be made awesomely.

it gets a bit weak towards the end of the 3rd act and has an unfortunately cruise/spielberg style ending, but as a bit of a neurotic film critic with a particular weakness for shitty screenplays, i was quite pleased with this movie and its near total lack of bullshit.
if not for the tepid 3rd act and tacked-on happy ending, i'd give it a solid 9.

Crash Of The Moons
5/10
So this is actually 3 episodes of the T.V show Rocky Jones, Space Ranger cut together into a movie length feature
And it is alright
Given that it is a T.V Show (so more limited budget and time then an actual movie) and that I have absolutely no previous experience with the show
It does well enough
The effects are actually quite good, the acting is all suitably over the top and the story moves along at a decent enough pace
But IMO it does show it's age a bit, and the cheapness can get to you a little
So it depends how much you can take of the 1950's era sci-fi

The Monster From Green Death
2/10
So an old sci-fi movie that just doesn't really deliver
it's slow, mostly dull and overall just kinda uninteresting
But it does get points for some well done monster effects
Ultimately I would just give this a miss

The Howling
5/10
Really it is the end that saves this movie
This is a werewolf movie, and the first 2/3 are largely uninteresting and devoid of pretty much any werewolf
But in the last act when everything comes together you get some good action scenes, great uses of practical effects (The werewolf transformations are pretty cool) and a good idea of what a werewolf movie could be
So a mixed bag, if you can get past the start then this isn't too bad but be prepared to be kinda bored a bit

The Shining
7/10
So this is the Kubrick film that I have quoted alot but have now actully seen
And yeah it was pretty cool
I thought he built up everything quite well, and Jack Nicolson going crazy was just awesome to watch
And overall I thought it was another movie that lives up to the hype

But a question: What was up with the photo at the end? I not sure what to make of it

I mean the picture with Nicolson in it dated back in 1921

Let Me In (2010)

It's hard to rate this movie, given that I'd seen Let the Right One In and consider it one of my favorite movies.

While this movie seemed to follow the same plot points and tried to hit the same emotional notes as the earlier movie, it felt rushed and almost upbeat by comparison. The original made me feel the despair that drove the characters.

Still a good movie, and maybe one that I would rate higher if I'd not seen the earlier version.

7.5/10

Raiders of the Lost Ark

9.5/10

Probably the greatest popcorn movie of all, with all the ingredients. You have a pair of leads you can care about--Harrison Ford as Indy, a classic action hero, and Karen Allen in her one moment of movie glory as the feisty, Hawksian heroine--as well as the deliciously decadent bad guys, Spielberg's thrill-a-minute pacing, John Williams' rousing score, etc.

That movie reminds me of Romancing The Stone with the then delicious Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas plus Danny DeVito as a bad guy.

A great adventure comedy romp. A little long in the tooth but still a lot better than many of the movies been released today.
9/10

Raiders of the Lost Ark

9.5/10

Probably the greatest popcorn movie of all, with all the ingredients. You have a pair of leads you can care about--Harrison Ford as Indy, a classic action hero, and Karen Allen in her one moment of movie glory as the feisty, Hawksian heroine--as well as the deliciously decadent bad guys, Spielberg's thrill-a-minute pacing, John Williams' rousing score, etc.

From Big Bang Theory:
“Indiana Jones plays no role in the outcome of the story. If he weren’t in the film, it would turn out exactly the same… If he weren’t in the movie, the Nazis would still have found the Arks, taken it to the island, opened it up, and all died, just like they did.”

Back
Top Bottom