• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) (2-D version)

Even though Cruise starts out as smarmy bastard (he's really good at that), and the idea of a Groundhog Day-style movie sounds interesting, I was less than thrilled with the final result.

I passed my time eating a giant tub of popcorn and didn't feel harmed in any way for having seen it. OK, not great.

6/10

Away From Her 9/10

I had watched this about five years back and remembered I liked it very much. For a three dollar download, figured I'd watch it again. It's a well written story, a bit soap opera like but tastefully done. I guess I'm getting old. The action flicks are too much looking the same, kinda like Disney movies if you take my meaning. So I tend to gravitate toward anything that looks like it might be an interesting story and this definitely fits the bill. So it's kind of a chick flick and a tear-jerker but I'm secure enough in my manhood to look past that. And they play Neil Young's Harvest Moon. Love that song.
Time for baseball and beer. It's all about balance.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

9.5/10

Probably the greatest popcorn movie of all, with all the ingredients. You have a pair of leads you can care about--Harrison Ford as Indy, a classic action hero, and Karen Allen in her one moment of movie glory as the feisty, Hawksian heroine--as well as the deliciously decadent bad guys, Spielberg's thrill-a-minute pacing, John Williams' rousing score, etc.

From Big Bang Theory:
“Indiana Jones plays no role in the outcome of the story. If he weren’t in the film, it would turn out exactly the same… If he weren’t in the movie, the Nazis would still have found the Arks, taken it to the island, opened it up, and all died, just like they did.”

Except that when the Nazis initially came to get the medallion from Marion, it's entirely possible that they would have killed her, given the clear enthusiasm of Major Toht (sadistic German with the wire-rimmed glasses) for unnecessary torture and infliction of pain.

Död Snö 8/10

Norwegian splatter movie. Nothing about this film is especially original. Still good fun. I see the whole film as a tribute to Bad Taste. It's tacky, grotesque, silly but oh, so fun.

Nazi zombies. What's not to like

Död Snö 8/10

Norwegian splatter movie. Nothing about this film is especially original. Still good fun. I see the whole film as a tribute to Bad Taste. It's tacky, grotesque, silly but oh, so fun.

Aaargh. I started to watch that. Dubbing was pretty good actually. About the time someone starting using

someone else's guts for a rope,

I stopped.

Snowpiercer 7/10

a failed global-warming solution has killed off most life as it created a Snowball Earth. The final survivors are aboard the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine. The passenger/survivors on the train have been set into castes, with the haves-havenots. When cryptic messages incite the low caste passengers to revolt, the denizens move full-throttle towards disaster.

It is a joint Korean-American production of a French graphic novel. Interestingly a main character speaks Korean throughout most of the movie. The acting is excellent and poignant, the setting has a cyber-punk Brazil-like feel of pathos, brutality and absurdity. You never know what will happen or what they hope to accomplish. Very interesting movie.

Lake Mungo

A girl dies and then her ghost begins to appear around her family's house as seen in video and photos. Or does it? What I liked about this movie is that it had a good creepiness factor and it never went over the top It's shot like a documentary and has a realistic feel to it. Like all movies about things supernatural it asks the audience to take a leap once in a while but never so much that it completely ruins the film.

7/10

Now You See Me

Why oh why do I watch movies I know I'm not going to like? This is a heist film with an interesting angle in that four illusionists are the thieves. But the movie is farcical yet takes itself very seriously. It's just a horrible piece of shit. If you have the choice of scrubbing the kitchen floor on your hands and knees or seeing this movie, then get to work. You'll be much happier.

2/10

The Iron Horse

8/10 for historical importance
6/10 for how well it holds up today

This silent Western about the building of the transcontinental railroad really put John Ford on the map as a director. While the story comes across as clunky and cliched today, this film established a lot of the storytelling conventions of the Western and also shows many of the trademarks of Ford's films in particular.

I watched the first half hour of The Tree of Life and I'm not so sure I'm in for the other two hours.

Normally I'm a big fan of slow moving, beautifully shot yet pretentious films, but I don't know if I can make it through this one. Sean Penn is Brad Pitt's son? What?

LUCY by Luc Besson...Haven't seen the movie yet (not out yet) but the trailer looks good...
Well, we need a new superhero and it might as well be Scarlett Johansson. Hope she does a sequel in Cleveland. We seem to be getting a lot of this comic book stuff here. Some day I'll watch one of them.

In a world that is run by the mob, street gangs, drug addicts, and corrupt cops, Lucy (Scarlett Johansson) is a woman living in Taipei, Taiwan who is forced to work as a drug mule for the mob. The drug implanted in her body inadvertently leaks into her system, changing her into a superhuman, due to accessing much more than the normal 10% of her brain capacity.[6] She can absorb knowledge instantaneously, is able to move objects with her mind, and chooses not to feel pain or other discomforts.

If the world is run by the bad guys, why do you need to sew drugs up inside of someone? I know, I know, watch the movie.

The Cheap Detective - Oh my, so umm... who isn't in this film. A screwball whodunnit by Neil Simon that targets all of the detective films of the good ole days. Think of it as Murder by Death mixed with Airplane, schick-wise. It really is a very strong comedy. 3.5 of 4.0

LUCY by Luc Besson...Haven't seen the movie yet (not out yet) but the trailer looks good...

Yeah and no. Besson hasn't done much good recently. The best is having input in The Transporter. And Besson really has to try something more than the uber-female lead (La Femme Nikta, The Fifth Element, Lucy).

The Shining
7/10
So this is the Kubrick film that I have quoted alot but have now actully seen
And yeah it was pretty cool
I thought he built up everything quite well, and Jack Nicolson going crazy was just awesome to watch
And overall I thought it was another movie that lives up to the hype

But a question: What was up with the photo at the end? I not sure what to make of it

I mean the picture with Nicolson in it dated back in 1921

Here's my theory on that.

The hotel itself was an entity with memories. And it wanted to collect and retain more memories, by arranging some visitor's deaths. It could guide susceptible people to do what it wanted them to do using memories of people like Lloyd and Grady, and Jack was susceptible either due to his alcoholic past, a somewhat seedy character and/or perhaps he has some "shine" to him. The Hotel talked to Jack via Grady to make sure Jack was in line with what the Overlook Hotel wanted. The main thing it wanted was Danny, due to his psychic abilities. If Jack would just kill his family, the hotel would get to keep them and Danny's "shine".

But in the end it only absorbed Jack into its memories. As evidenced in the photo.

You just described every modern super hero movie made. The story rarely makes any sense. Mostly incoherrent. But cool one-liners. And cool scenes. Very cool scenes. They're all about the action scenes.

To enjoy any if these you got to check your brain at the door. I only watch them hung-over. Otherwise they hurt my brain. Badly written dialogue and scripts with loose end annoy me like forks on plates.

Död Snö 8/10

Aaargh. I started to watch that. Dubbing was pretty good actually. About the time someone starting using

someone else's guts for a rope,

I stopped.

ha ha... well they do that a lot later on in the film. The last twenty minutes is beyond absurd. It stops even trying to be believable or make sense. Just gore for gore's sake.

Lucy at least is doing its part to keep the 10% myth going.

When was the last time a good super hero movie made? Not lately.
You mean other than The Avengers?
or captain america 2, which was surprisingly decent.
or guardians of the galaxy, which technically isn't out yet but there is absolutely no way it's not going to be completely awesome.

Back
Top Bottom