• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

I just couldn't resist watching Sharkanado again to see if it's as bad as it was when I first watched it. Second time round is even worst, trust me. The actors including the bimbo Tara Reid are just going through the motions. Surely they can act slightly better than that. A shark appears in the bimbo's lounge and eats her daughters boyfriend. enough said!
1.5/10 :rolleyes:

Plus, what was the bit at the end when he cut the girl out of the shark that had fallen from the sky and she was OK? Even given every single nonsensical and illogical scene in the hour-and-a-half before that, that just made me say "Now, that's a bit unbelievable".

Plus, what was the bit at the end when he cut the girl out of the shark that had fallen from the sky and she was OK? Even given every single nonsensical and illogical scene in the hour-and-a-half before that, that just made me say "Now, that's a bit unbelievable".
When you have a movie that makes comic book films absolutely believable, you know there are issues with the integrity of the plot.

Pitch Perfect - Fun movie if you like acapella pop music. Some clever music montages.

About Time - From the makers of Love, Actually, this is another quirky British romantic comedy that's got me crushing pretty hard on Rachel McAdams.

Stoker:
first 80 minutes: 7/10
last 19 minutes: 1/10
overall: 4/10

very atmospheric and somber, a lot of cool and interesting cinematography, bit on the artsy-for-its-own-sake side and for a lot of it i was like "da fuq am i watching?"
but it was very pretty to look at so i didn't mind.
then the first act happened and it was like the makers of the movie went "shit, we've been faffing off with cool imagery for 80 minutes, we need to wrap this up... uh... quick, what's the most fucking cliched 'twist' plot you can think to chuck at this?" and then just filmed that.
rather totally ruined the film, overall.

this actually a very prominent running theme in movies directed by Chan-wook Park, so maybe that's just his signature move... make an interesting and enthralling movie which you turn to complete shit with an utterly retarded final 10-20 minutes.

The House Bunny What a bunny of a film. Changed channels after 15 mins. The plot, [what plot] A former Playboy bunny moves into a sorority house. As an admirer of the female form I thought there would be plenty in this flick to make me happy.

But even a voyeur should steer clear from this excuse for a film. 1.5/10

Tremors II: Aftershocks

7.5/10

A true rarity--a direct-to-video sequel to a feature film that's actually fairly watchable. The modest budget (about one-third that of the first film) shows at times, but this one is energetic and entertaining. Fred Ward returns from the first film as a solid protagonist, Helen Shaver is the good-looking geologist this time around, but the movie-stealer is, again, Michael Gross as survivalist Burt Gummer, more heavily-armed than ever before.

God is not dead. 10/10 Had me teary eyed. It was not what I expected. I may have to read the book.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962 version)

9.5/10

One of the best political thrillers ever. The story of an American soldier captured in the Korean War and brainwashed to be an assassin still holds up very well today. Frank Sinatra and Laurence Harvey headline the cast, but the performance you'll remember is Angela Lansbury, giving probably her best film performance as one of the creepiest villains ever.

The Great Escape Steve McQueen and James Garner plus Richard Attenborough at their best. They don't make movies like this today. A truly great film.

9.5/10

Mud (2012)

I tried to imagine what it would be like to be a 14-year old boy who found a boat hanging in a tree and a mysterious stranger hiding in the woods.

From that perspective, I found the first half of this overly-long movie to be fairly entertaining.

But slowly the story became less and less plausible, until I finally had to stop.

4/10 for the 80 minutes of this 130 minute movie. They did a fine job of creating atmosphere, and even with Matthew McCounaghey as the lead, the actors were not too pretty or healthy looking for this story set in the working class rural south. It's just the story that fell apart.

Last edited:
Mr. Nobody

Not quite sure what rating to give it as I'm not quite sure if it is a deep, beautiful look into the possibilities of life, or just pretty, pretentious crap.

Jared Leto is Nemo Nobody, the last mortal man in the world. On his deathbed, he recalls his life, but he's remembering more than just one. There's the life he had if he'd stayed with his mother when his parents split. The one where he stayed with his father. There's 3 women he falls in love with, but the situations change depending on which life he chose. He is, alternately, a rich executive, a middle class average guy, a poor pool cleaner, an astronaut, a science show host, and a writer. He also dies in several of his lives.

It is a beautiful film with beautiful people that jumps around the different timelines very deftly, but is also a bit heavy-handed at times.

I'll have to watch it again.

Gran Torino Leading role, Directed and produced by Clunk Eastwood. Far superior to other similarly themed vengeance flicks, and all done with a cast of unknowns. This movie showcases Clint Eastwood's many talents.

9.5/10

Mr. Nobody

Not quite sure what rating to give it as I'm not quite sure if it is a deep, beautiful look into the possibilities of life, or just pretty, pretentious crap.

Jared Leto is Nemo Nobody, the last mortal man in the world. On his deathbed, he recalls his life, but he's remembering more than just one. There's the life he had if he'd stayed with his mother when his parents split. The one where he stayed with his father. There's 3 women he falls in love with, but the situations change depending on which life he chose. He is, alternately, a rich executive, a middle class average guy, a poor pool cleaner, an astronaut, a science show host, and a writer. He also dies in several of his lives.

It is a beautiful film with beautiful people that jumps around the different timelines very deftly, but is also a bit heavy-handed at times.

I'll have to watch it again.

Sometimes I like slow and weird pacing. In fact, it's one of the few things I like about M. Night Shyamalan movies. However, for some reason the slow and weird pacing of Mr. Nobody bugged me so much that I had to stop watching it. No idea why. Anyway, the plot seems to be structured around the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics: all possible paths are taken. If the quantum mechanics metaphor holds up, then somewhere at the end of the movie a "measurement" is taken, and his life would snap into only one of the possibilities (analogous to the wave function collapse in quantum theory).

Back
Top Bottom