• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who are your favourite public intellectuals?

Deepak Chopra. The way he strings all those fancy words together into something deep and meaningful...it just sends chills up my spine!

What? No votes yet for Neil deGrasse Tyson? I'll put him up for my vote.

Tyson is among those facing accusations in the "me too" whirlwind. :(

Sam Harris has been dabbling with  scientific racism.

Peter Boghossian has decided that Nazis only count as Nazis if they are German and this is the 1930s. He said this in defense of the Nazis "alt right free speech advocates" in Charlottesville, and that's after using bad science to justify anti-transgender views.

I'm running low on people to admire.

Uhm, Stan Lee?

Tyson is among those facing accusations in the "me too" whirlwind. :(

Sam Harris has been dabbling with  scientific racism.

Peter Boghossian has decided that Nazis only count as Nazis if they are German and this is the 1930s. He said this in defense of the Nazis "alt right free speech advocates" in Charlottesville, and that's after using bad science to justify anti-transgender views.

I'm running low on people to admire.

Uhm, Stan Lee?

A while back I watched an interview with Tyson where he said something along the lines of 'I want to get a win for humanity before I die'.

The thing is, there is a certain kind of narcissism, self-deception, and grandiosity in truly believing that you are, or could be, some kind of savior for people. Evolutionary theory would say that it's often really about ego and physical fitness. The desire to be 'great' and 'wanted'.

And so ironically it's not uncommon for people to seek the spotlight for unsavory reasons, and for those who are public intellectuals ending up being a bit sociopathic.

Given it's a fine line between having a genuine interest in change and doing it for ulterior motives, and sometimes there is grey area between those two extremes.

Back
Top Bottom