• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who's excited about the start of football season??!!

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Yahoo. I love the Oregon Ducks! Very excited. We plan to travel to Texas to watch their opening game vs Auburn. College football is number one for me. But also love the NFL (49ers). Who do you like and follow?

If you mean hockey season then yes, but this year I might make more of an effort to watch the NFL too, finally. The past few seasons I watched a few playoff games outside of the Superbowl, and really enjoyed the sport without the hype of the 'big game'.

So what should I be watching out for? New England winning it all again?

Ravens fan here. The transition to Lamar Jackson is complete, and he now looks like an NFL QB instead of just a runner. But he’s still a video game cheat code when he takes off.

I’ve stopped watching the Super Bowl if New England is in it. I don’t intend to change that. The Chiefs have a good chance to make it, if they can improve their defense. And the Browns, of all teams, are being mentioned. But there are some massive egos there, and a head coach promoted way past his experience level.

If you mean hockey season then yes, but this year I might make more of an effort to watch the NFL too, finally. The past few seasons I watched a few playoff games outside of the Superbowl, and really enjoyed the sport without the hype of the 'big game'.

I'm more of a college football guy. Oregon Ducks, Nike University, is my team. We're going to go on the road in a couple weeks to watch the Ducks play Auburn. Love the ducks. Yes, New England looks very good in the NFL...

I'm more of a college football guy. Oregon Ducks, Nike University, is my team. We're going to go on the road in a couple weeks to watch the Ducks play Auburn. Love the ducks. Yes, New England looks very good in the NFL...

Prepare for Texas to still be really hot when you get here.

Arizona Cardinals fan here, and no I'm not excited. Already can't wait for the season to be over in the NFL. I enjoy college football even though I have no favorites.

Yeah, love the NFL. That whole playoff teams are determined objectively thing helps a lot. Now if only the Football BS division did the same.

I root for two teams—Clemson and whoever plays against FSU. When they play, I’ll usually watch or at least catch a glimpse or two or three.

I root for two teams—Clemson and whoever plays against FSU. When they play, I’ll usually watch or at least catch a glimpse or two or three.

Clemson is awesome. The king of CB today. Does Willie Taggert still coach FSU? He bugged me. His main quote was "do something". What the heck does that mean? Do what? If I play video games all day in my PJs; am I not doing something??! He's an incredible recruiter. But a cheap suit IMO. I think that Oregon got lucky when he ditched us for FSU.

Patriot's fan checking in. I remember the glory of their first Super Bowl, a rousing upset over the superior St. Louis Rams. The first three Super Bowl victories would come at a time when there were "better" teams in the AFC. Yet, the Dynasty Patriots managed to beat them, repeatedly when it mattered (though the Colts would often dismiss themselves against lower opponents). It'd be in '07 when the Patriots would no longer be considered the upstarts.

Now days, the rest of the nation typically watches in bemused disappointment. The comeback in Super Bowl LI had a substantial schadenfreude to it, as not only did the Pats manage a, at least not on paper, ridiculous comeback, but the joy of the Patriot haters and the utter disappointment and rage they felt when the game went to OT and then the Pats just marched down the field to win it all, was glorious.

This season, against with Brady at the helm, has me as a 'it'll be whatever it is' mindset. They win, it'd be great, but really, the Patriots record in the Super Bowl alone in this run is what a HOF QB could have as a record in the playoffs. So, I'm hardly hurting for another title. But be wary, Josh Gordon might just stay sober long enough this year.

Kansas City looks real good and looks to be the Patriot's main rival. The NFC appears to have a few good teams as well. 49'ers and to a smaller extent, the Browns, are the biggest question marks this season. Honestly, the Browns have an absurd set of games between Weeks 3 and 9 (including the Patriots and Rams), and I just don't see how they can survive it, even if the team is legit despite their inexperienced coaching staff and lack of depth on the squad that the press seems to be overlooking.

Regarding the public tax fraud scam that is college football... fuck it!

I'm not much of a College Football fan, though I might watch a couple of bowl games during the holidays.

As far as the NFL, I am a recovering Rams fan (fuck Stan Kroenke!), and am warming up to becoming a Chiefs fan. First step is to stop calling them the "Chefs". Mahones had an impressive first year, and I am looking forward to what he can do as he gets more experience in the NFL. The rush is where KC may struggle this year, but if Williams can get healthy and stay that way, or someone like Carlos Hyde steps up to take his place, they have great potential.

Even though I am no longer a Rams fan, I still can't stand the Patriots Cheatriots, so I hope they crash and burn before they even make the playoffs.

Cowboys fan here. Every season starts with a great big "perhaps," as in "I don't think Dak has enough moxie to be a Super Bowl QB, but perhaps he'll have a breakout year," etc. down the list by position.

Cowboys fan here. Every season starts with a great big "perhaps," as in "I don't think Dak has enough moxie to be a Super Bowl QB, but perhaps he'll have a breakout year," etc. down the list by position.

I've read that Dak is looking for a $40 million/year contract. I didn't know weed was legal in Texas. After they pay that expensive O-line, they can't afford both him and Zeke.

A contact sport ... baseball does not cut it. Given all the political nonsense, I am relieved at the start of the season.

I've read that Dak is looking for a $40 million/year contract. I didn't know weed was legal in Texas. After they pay that expensive O-line, they can't afford both him and Zeke.

Dak is okay, Zeke is great. But agreed, if they sign for what they want, the 0-line can't be retained. Then Dak and Zeke will be exposed. Football is the best sport IMO because it is so reliant on the whole team playing together. Individual stars can excel in baseball and basketball. But it takes a village to succeed in football.

Dak is okay, Zeke is great. But agreed, if they sign for what they want, the 0-line can't be retained. Then Dak and Zeke will be exposed. Football is the best sport IMO because it is so reliant on the whole team playing together. Individual stars can excel in baseball and basketball. But it takes a village to succeed in football.
...and a network of spy moles with mics attached to them, burrowing beneath the Patriots' opponents sideline. :D

I have the misfortune of being a NY Jets fan. I was born in NY. Saw them win the SB - on TV - in '69 when I was five - diehard fan ever since, and continually disappointed for 50 years.

When my mom was having heart surgery, the doc was explaining the risks, and she said, "Don't worry, I promised myself I can't die until the Jets win the Super Bowl again."

The doc said, "Well, then you'll be alive for a long time yet."

I have the misfortune of being a NY Jets fan. I was born in NY. Saw them win the SB - on TV - in '69 when I was five - diehard fan ever since, and continually disappointed for 50 years.

When my mom was having heart surgery, the doc was explaining the risks, and she said, "Don't worry, I promised myself I can't die until the Jets win the Super Bowl again."

Immortality.

Reactions: WAB

Immortality.
I don't know... to become immortal, but have to be a Jets fan? That is a rather high price.

[West Side Story]When you're a Jet, you know you won't make the playoffs![/West Side Story]

Back
Top Bottom