• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are "refugees" still having children?

Violence by migrants not only in Idomeni but also at Lesbos.
Migrant crisis: Lesbos camp clashes as Greek minister visits
If these mirgants were really "refugees" fleeing violence, why are they so ready to embrace violence to try to get their way (free passage to Germany, they all want to go to Germany).
I'm not sure why being refugees fleeing violent and more powerful enemies would indicate they're not willing to do violence when they perceive someone less able or willing to kill them is behaving against their interests, especially in a way they consider unjust (and chances are they consider any behavior intended to prevent them from going to Germany is unjust).

But that aside, I would like to ask you a question. Given that you don't believe that they're refugees, what do you think they are, and why do you think they want to go to Germany? Why not France, Belgium, Spain or the UK?

Last edited:
Here are some statistics...

Syria has life expectancy about 54 years, but averages are a bit of a silly way to look at this. It's more like a distribution. Poverty in Syria is about 80%. In any case, the life expectancy in Germany is 81 years and poverty is from 4% to 15% depending on the state. Meanwhile, the life expectancy in Sweden is almost 82 years and poverty is 3.7%.

Violence by migrants not only in Idomeni but also at Lesbos.
Migrant crisis: Lesbos camp clashes as Greek minister visits
If these mirgants were really "refugees" fleeing violence, why are they so ready to embrace violence to try to get their way (free passage to Germany, they all want to go to Germany).

Lesban violence is hawt.

I tried to find out more about the refugee camp violence, but for some reason there are millions of irrelevant hits when your Google search includes the word 'Lesbians'. Go figure.

You keep saying that sort of thing, over and over. I think at this point your readers all realize you think the end justifies the means.
It does from a practical standpoint, which is what we've been discussing: the actual UTILITY of such actions in the context of their goals.

And looking back, we find that the choice was often made for the purpose of perpetuating the family and extending the shared legacies of parents onto their offspring, regardless of prevailing social/economic conditions. The choice they made, in essence, was to raise families and pursue whatever happiness and success might have been available, rather than wait for someone or some thing to come along and offer them a better deal.

Families that did this succeeded in their goal of continuing to exist. Families that did not came to an end.

Could be you're more interested in the individual case-by-case context in which those decisions were made; that isn't even POSSIBLE in this discussion since we don't actually know the individual case-by-case circumstances of every one of those choices. But as I just finished explaining to Angra, moral judgement is a matter of evaluating intentions, not probabilities.

To the extent that procreation can be considered morally acceptable AT ALL, then maximizing the odds of successful offspring can be accomplished either by heaping benefits on the individuals or by simply producing enough offspring to beat the odds.

Either one will accomplish that same goal... so now it's just a question of whether or not that goal makes any sense in the first place.
How does that follow? What's your reasoning? How do you get from the premise that "procreation can be considered morally acceptable AT ALL" to the conclusion that it makes no moral difference whether you do it by being an r-strategist or a K-strategist?
I didn't. I said:

To the extent that procreation can be considered morally acceptable, then either strategy may very well accomplish that goal.

So it therefore depends on to what extent procreation is morally acceptable in the first place. If it isn't, then neither strategy is valid. But if the deliberate perpetuation of one's own family, community and species is a goal to be praised, then a strategy that accomplishes this is also a goal to be praised.

That still doesn't eliminate the need to evaluate individual actions within the context of that strategy. Attempting to get people to exercise more frequently is a morally beneficent strategy for public health; breaking into people's houses with a chainsaw and chasing them halfway across town is a questionable application of that strategy.

I, for one, am happy to have been born, so from my point of view the decisions of my ancestors was a net benefit to me. If they had not made those decisions I would not have been born, which is an outcome I would not have preferred. Your mileage may vary.
If your great24 grandfather hadn't made the decision to rape your great24 grandmother you would not have been born
Irrelevant; in that case his goal was to commit a rape, not to perpetuate his family. One does not evaluate the moral implications of accidents. But I note that you are again implying that the decision to have a child is somehow morally equivalent to some other serious crime because Reasons.

And again, we're speaking of the choice to create children and raise families under circumstances that are not ideal for either. People have ALWAYS done this in the past, and those families have usually survived -- and sometimes thrived -- despite the conditions. There are all kinds of reasons why rape can be considered immoral; as I explained to Angra, "the probability of harm coming to the victim" is not one of them, which is the same reason why "the probability of benefit coming to the victim" would not make that action justifiable.

Pretty much every bit of happiness in my life has happened because my wife and I met each other and hit it off. As I trace the chain of cause and effect, it seems a near certainty to me that we would never have met each other if Klaus Fuchs hadn't stolen the plans for the atomic bomb and given them to Stalin...
Did Klaus Fuchs think that doing so would give his family a better chance of happiness in the future? Did he specifically act with the intention of creating a better life for himself and for his future descendants? If so, then he acted directly for your benefit, and he accomplished that goal. His actions could be considered morally virtuous in the context of that goal... again, to the extent that perpetuating the existence of your family is virtuous at all.

I would assume that he knew that giving Stalin the atomic bomb was going to trigger a war that would eventually kill millions of people (he would have been wrong, but that's what everybody "knew" back then). If he knew this and did so anyway, then his actions CANNOT be considered morally virtuous even if he accomplished that goal.

Is there anything about procreation that you consider to be inherently immoral? If not, why do you keep comparing reproduction to crimes as if they are the same thing? Not once have I seen you compare having a baby to, say, opening a restaurant or teaching slaves how to read.

So does that mean you think choosing to drive while you're drunk is moral provided you don't intend to crash into anyone, and you have a good reason to want to be at the place you're trying to drive to?
It's a very reckless action, but not necessarily an immoral one (that again depends on the circumstances and depends on what the drunk driver knows).

Why would that make it neutral? As you say, moral responsibility is about choices. Why would choosing to give someone no pleasure and no suffering not be a more moral choice than choosing to give him both when you know it's probably going to be a lot more suffering than pleasure?
Because the "probably" in that statement cannot and does not factor into the decision: you can't evaluate a moral judgement based on "probably."

You can be morally responsible only for your own choices and not for the choices of others. To use your previous example, a drunk driver is, statistically speaking, NOT particularly likely to cause an accident that one time, only at heightened risk of doing so. So the moral judgement is how he chooses to deal with the risk and weigh them against the potential benefit he hopes to pursue. If he's driving drunk to talk his nephew out of committing suicide, this is probably more strongly encouraged than driving drunk to catch the next episode of Game of Thrones.

Do you assume the parents of poor children do not CARE what happens to their children? Do you assume they will not take any action to maximize their happiness and just say "You're the statisticians' problem now." You don't evaluate morality on statistics because statistics are not choices.

tl;dr: having a child who has a high probability of being unhappy is not immoral. Causing the child to be unhappy is immoral.

So is it your contention that a Huntington's couple who choose to have eight children, knowing that most likely six of them are going to have short miserable lives and horrible deaths, are doing the right thing by making two healthy kids to maintain the family, as long as they're nice to their six sick children while they all wait for nature to take its course?

Depends on what they know and what they believe, but quite possibly, yes.

You keep saying that sort of thing, over and over. I think at this point your readers all realize you think the end justifies the means.
It does from a practical standpoint, which is what we've been discussing: the actual UTILITY of such actions in the context of their goals.

And looking back, we find that the choice was often made for the purpose of perpetuating the family...
"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice: What I tell you three times is true."

To the extent that procreation can be considered morally acceptable AT ALL, then maximizing the odds of successful offspring can be accomplished either by heaping benefits on the individuals or by simply producing enough offspring to beat the odds.

Either one will accomplish that same goal... so now it's just a question of whether or not that goal makes any sense in the first place.
How does that follow? What's your reasoning? How do you get from the premise that "procreation can be considered morally acceptable AT ALL" to the conclusion that it makes no moral difference whether you do it by being an r-strategist or a K-strategist?
I didn't. I said:

To the extent that procreation can be considered morally acceptable, then either strategy may very well accomplish that goal.

So it therefore depends on to what extent procreation is morally acceptable in the first place. If it isn't, then neither strategy is valid. But if the deliberate perpetuation of one's own family, community and species is a goal to be praised, then a strategy that accomplishes this is also a goal to be praised.
But that's the inference I said you made. No. From the premise that the deliberate perpetuation of one's own family, community and species is a goal to be praised, it does not logically follow that a strategy that accomplishes this is also a goal to be praised. There are any number of non-praiseworthy strategies that accomplish praiseworthy goals. You gave an example yourself.

That still doesn't eliminate the need to evaluate individual actions within the context of that strategy. Attempting to get people to exercise more frequently is a morally beneficent strategy for public health; breaking into people's houses with a chainsaw and chasing them halfway across town is a questionable application of that strategy.
And attempting to preserve your family is a goal to be praised; making a baby who'll probably have a miserable life is a questionable application of that strategy.

I, for one, am happy to have been born, so from my point of view the decisions of my ancestors was a net benefit to me. If they had not made those decisions I would not have been born, which is an outcome I would not have preferred. Your mileage may vary.
If your great24 grandfather hadn't made the decision to rape your great24 grandmother you would not have been born
Irrelevant; in that case his goal was to commit a rape, not to perpetuate his family. One does not evaluate the moral implications of accidents.
So if the reason some man commits rape is not because he wants to get his rocks off but because he's physically unappealing and only whores will have sex with him and all of the whores insist he use a condom, but he really really wants to father a child and raise a family, then, since his only choices are rape or dying childless, does that mean you think strategic rape is a praiseworthy goal in his case?

But I note that you are again implying that the decision to have a child is somehow morally equivalent to some other serious crime because Reasons.
No. We've been through this already. A counterexample to an inference rule is not an implication of equivalence. Deal with it.

And again, we're speaking of the choice to create children and raise families under circumstances that are not ideal for either.
And again, "not ideal" is a red herring. There's a continuum between ideal and terrible; to say you should not reproduce under terrible circumstances does not imply you should only reproduce when conditions are ideal.

There are all kinds of reasons why rape can be considered immoral; as I explained to Angra, "the probability of harm coming to the victim" is not one of them, which is the same reason why "the probability of benefit coming to the victim" would not make that action justifiable.
Of course the probability of harm coming to the victim is one of them. It's because there are additional reasons it's immoral, such as respect for autonomy, that a probably beneficial rape is not enough to make it justifiable. Probability of harm coming to a victim is all it takes to make drunk driving immoral; we can tell because if you take that feature away and have a guy drive on a controlled track where we make sure in advance that there isn't going to be anybody there for him to hurt, then driving drunk stops being immoral.

Pretty much every bit of happiness in my life has happened because my wife and I met each other and hit it off. As I trace the chain of cause and effect, it seems a near certainty to me that we would never have met each other if Klaus Fuchs hadn't stolen the plans for the atomic bomb and given them to Stalin...
Did Klaus Fuchs think that doing so would give his family a better chance of happiness in the future? Did he specifically act with the intention of creating a better life for himself and for his future descendants? If so, then he acted directly for your benefit, and he accomplished that goal. His actions could be considered morally virtuous in the context of that goal... again, to the extent that perpetuating the existence of your family is virtuous at all.
I think I gave you the wrong idea. My wife isn't related to Fuchs; our connection is that her life trajectory was set by my father-in-law spending his career in a cold-war weapons lab. No Soviet bomb, no jobs for people to defend us from it.

Is there anything about procreation that you consider to be inherently immoral? If not, why do you keep comparing reproduction to crimes as if they are the same thing? Not once have I seen you compare having a baby to, say, opening a restaurant or teaching slaves how to read.
I'm not comparing reproduction to crimes; I'm comparing your argument for reproduction to hypothetical arguments for crimes, in order to display the respective arguments' identical structure. The point is to show that that argument structure is invalid. I use crimes because if I showed your argument has the same structure as an argument for opening a restaurant it wouldn't make the invalidity of the argument obvious. "It's okay to open a restaurant." isn't an obviously incorrect deduction.

So does that mean you think choosing to drive while you're drunk is moral provided you don't intend to crash into anyone, and you have a good reason to want to be at the place you're trying to drive to?
It's a very reckless action, but not necessarily an immoral one (that again depends on the circumstances and depends on what the drunk driver knows).
Well, if he knows he's on a controlled track potential victims are kept off of, then sure; but then it's not a reckless action either except with respect to his own life, which he gets to risk if he pleases.

Why would that make it neutral? As you say, moral responsibility is about choices. Why would choosing to give someone no pleasure and no suffering not be a more moral choice than choosing to give him both when you know it's probably going to be a lot more suffering than pleasure?
Because the "probably" in that statement cannot and does not factor into the decision: you can't evaluate a moral judgement based on "probably."
Sure I can. So can credoconsolans et al. So can most people. Why can't you?

If he's driving drunk to talk his nephew out of committing suicide, this is probably more strongly encouraged than driving drunk to catch the next episode of Game of Thrones.
That just means we have to weigh the probability of an up side against the probability of a down side and estimate the probable net harm; it doesn't mean probability doesn't matter. If he's driving drunk to talk his nephew out of committing suicide and he has no idea where his nephew is so he picked an address to drive to at random in the hope that that's where his nephew is, that's probably not enough of an up side to outweigh the probability of hurting somebody on the road.

Do you assume the parents of poor children do not CARE what happens to their children?
No; but caring isn't all it takes to mean you're being responsible. And it's not an issue of "poor". There's a world of difference between poor and refugee.

So is it your contention that a Huntington's couple who choose to have eight children, knowing that most likely six of them are going to have short miserable lives and horrible deaths, are doing the right thing by making two healthy kids to maintain the family, as long as they're nice to their six sick children while they all wait for nature to take its course?

Depends on what they know and what they believe, but quite possibly, yes.
Wow. In the end it all comes down to wildly opposed moral intuitions. Probably time we agree to disagree.

Bomb#20 said:
There's a continuum between ideal and terrible; to say you should not reproduce under terrible circumstances does not imply you should only reproduce when conditions are ideal.

The situation at the refugee camp is certainly non-ideal. You could also call it terrible if you wish, but is it really? It's better than having babies in Syria. Now one could say that Syria is terrible and I wouldn't disagree. There are statistics to back that up that I've posted such as life expectancy of 54 years and poverty level of 80%. The statistics of Sweden and Germany are far better as I've posted. BUT where the heck is the refugee camp in the continuum from Syria to Germany? Is it in the middle? There aren't any posted statistics and we aren't there to observe whereas someone on the ground living there MIGHT know better how ideal-to-terrible it is. That risk MIGHT be something they can evaluate better.

Speaking of localized observations of risk, even though I've posted national statistics previously of Syria, Sweden, and Germany, measures vary locally. In Germany poverty varies according to the state, but even more locally you could be working at a specific place that closes shop and then people might not hire you for whatever reason. As far as Syria, the war rages on to different degrees in different parts of Syria, moving here and there according to whatever is going on that people there will be informed about by watching their news or whatever. So a bombing killing people at a hospital to the north is good reason to reassess your plans if you are living in that city. If, however, you live in a different part of Syria, relatively untouched by the war, your plans may be different. We don't actually know for sure the specifics of what risks were weighed by the woman in the op, but if she's left we can assume that she left for a reason where something there was "terrible" or nearly terrible enough for her and her husband to consider changing plans. We might be able to estimate certain things, but they'd remain estimates and being judgmental might not be appropriate.

[I will add, why is it judged okay to move to the barracks for better life but it's not judged okay to move to the Germany or Sweden or even to the camp, which is probably better than Syria?]

Likewise, happiness-to-unhappiness is another thing that comes in degrees and the frequency of such feeling is another dimension of measurement. I did post pictures of the children in the camp having a good time smiling. So clearly they are not 100% unhappy all the time. They are not "permanently unhappy" to use your words. So how happy are they and how unhappy and how often? How are you quantifying it? Does Derec (or you) know better how happy/unhappy the children are as opposed to their mother? Wouldn't you say that things get normalized in one's life? So if the children are used to bombings anywhere in Syria and constant worry, then it's become normalized for them. So getting to a camp where it's less worry and there is hope to go on to a better future, might very well be a source of happiness. How do you know it isn't?

I will add that for all we know, the stay at the camp is temporary. If the refugees are not given access to Sweden and Germany, then after the war is over, they might be sent back to a better Syria. People there may know that situation better. But in any case, why would any of this such as being born in this refugee camp lead to a permanently unhappy life?

I'm not sure why being refugees fleeing violent and more powerful enemies would indicate they're not willing to do violence when they perceive someone less able or willing to kill them is behaving against their interests, especially in a way they consider unjust (and chances are they consider any behavior intended to prevent them from going to Germany is unjust).
They have shown themselves to be violent. If they are violent in Lesbos there is no reason to think they would not be violent in Germany. Sufficient reason to send them back and not give into their entitled demands to go to Germany. If they want to fight, they should fight in Syria, not in Europe.

But that aside, I would like to ask you a question. Given that you don't believe that they're refugees, what do you think they are,
On the Aegean route (unlike Mediterranean route from the other thread) many did indeed start out as refugees. But when they leave their safe camps in Turkey or Lebanon and demand to go to Germany they become more economic migrants than bona fide refugees, even if they started out as such. And then there are people who have never been refugees by any stretch of the imagination. I have seen a clip of an interview with a man camping at Idomeni who sounded just like Apu from the Simpsons. So he was either from India or Pakistan. There is no war on there. There are also reports that some people on the Aegean route come as far away as Burma. There is no war there either.

and why do you think they want to go to Germany? Why not France, Belgium, Spain or the UK?
Combination of economic opportunity, generous welfare (Germany is rather prosperous), and Merkel's idiotic decision in 2015 to admit over a million Muslim migrants (more than 1% of German population), which merely encouraged many millions more to attempt the same.

On the Aegean route (unlike Mediterranean route from the other thread) many did indeed start out as refugees. But when they leave their safe camps in Turkey or Lebanon and demand to go to Germany they become more economic migrants than bona fide refugees, even if they started out as such. And then there are people who have never been refugees by any stretch of the imagination. I have seen a clip of an interview with a man camping at Idomeni who sounded just like Apu from the Simpsons. So he was either from India or Pakistan. There is no war on there. There are also reports that some people on the Aegean route come as far away as Burma. There is no war there either.

I see a number of holes here. I bet Angra will comment on them.

They have shown themselves to be violent. If they are violent in Lesbos there is no reason to think they would not be violent in Germany. Sufficient reason to send them back and not give into their entitled demands to go to Germany. If they want to fight, they should fight in Syria, not in Europe.

By the same logic, the US troops who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan should be de-barred from returning to the USA.

They have shown themselves to be violent, and there is just as much reason to expect them to be violent in the US as there is to expect these refugees to be violent in Germany. Because violence is a personal trait that someone either has or does not have, and it is not a result of circumstances at all.

Stop the violence in our cities - Never bring the troops home!

Derec said:
But that's not relevant to my reply, which was a reply to what appeared to be a suggestion on your part that their willingness to do violence indicated they weren't actual refugees fleeing violence. People who flee violence may well be also prone to do violence.

Derec said:
On the Aegean route (unlike Mediterranean route from the other thread) many did indeed start out as refugees. But when they leave their safe camps in Turkey or Lebanon and demand to go to Germany they become more economic migrants than bona fide refugees, even if they started out as such.
Right; that's what part I've been saying you believed.
Do you think most of the people are the camp are economic migrants, or those "many" + the ones from Pakistan, etc., don't make up most of them?
Also, do you believe a significant percentage (if so, how significant?) are not only Muslims, but Islamists who travel to Europe in order to spread Islam?

Derec said:
And then there are people who have never been refugees by any stretch of the imagination. I have seen a clip of an interview with a man camping at Idomeni who sounded just like Apu from the Simpsons. So he was either from India or Pakistan. There is no war on there. There are also reports that some people on the Aegean route come as far away as Burma. There is no war there either.
Just to get this straight: your take is that those are also (at least mostly) economic migrants - as I also said you thought -, not something else, right?
Derec said:
Combination of economic opportunity, generous welfare (Germany is rather prosperous), and Merkel's idiotic decision in 2015 to admit over a million Muslim migrants (more than 1% of German population), which merely encouraged many millions more to attempt the same.
Thanks for confirming part of what I've been saying for that you believe.
Maybe you should try to more explicitly say that you believe they're economic migrants when you imply they're not refugees, lest other people not insist that you believe they're something else.
I also think we should further clarify (see Don2's reply) whether you believe mots are economic migrants, or in any case, whether you think many (or a significant proportion) are going to Europe not for better economic conditions, but in order to spread Islam or Islamism.

It seems to me that you place subjective value on humans and species propagation, but expect other persons to not put subjective value on their own genes and their propagation.

So what objective value system are you using to say that humans are needed in the ecosystem at all? How do you know it is objective? And how do you know it's not actually at the right amount, what criteria are you using?

I already said what the difference is. Having 5+ children in a overcrowded situation is very different than having any children when most of humanity has been wiped out.

Make no mistake about it, Islamists want to make Europe islamic. Having Europe import millions of Muslims, who then have 5 children per woman or so, is a way to islamicize Europe. And the fifth columnists are not just letting it happen, they are helping speed it up!

Are you saying now that the danger is economic migration?

And also, if Europe takes in millions more of these people (in addition to millions it already took in) after a generation there will be 5x as many of them. And it's not like Europe doesn't already have huge problems with Islamists. Not only terrorism but also demands that Europe change their ways of life to appease all these Muslims (like no pork, dressing more modestly etc.)

Can you give an example of these people in their new countries forcing Europeans to not eat pork?

Muslims themselves know what their objective is. It is their useful idiots on the left who are denying the objectives to islamicize Europe.

Just to be clear, economic migrants are deliberately trying to islamicize Europe?

Written to Derec:
I also think we should further clarify (see Don2's reply) whether you believe mots are economic migrants, or in any case, whether you think many (or a significant proportion) are going to Europe not for better economic conditions, but in order to spread Islam or Islamism.

Here was Derec very early in the thread:
Derec said:
Muslims themselves know what their objective is. It is their useful idiots on the left who are denying the objectives to islamicize Europe.

Angra, could you clarify if you think economic migration is mutually exclusive with having an objective of islamicizing Europe?

Here are some signs posted by Derec:
Derec said:
I already said what the difference is. Having 5+ children in a overcrowded situation is very different than having any children when most of humanity has been wiped out.

Make no mistake about it, Islamists want to make Europe islamic. Having Europe import millions of Muslims, who then have 5 children per woman or so, is a way to islamicize Europe. And the fifth columnists are not just letting it happen, they are helping speed it up!
islam_europe.jpg

93428b80f012b5c92140cc219e8a019d.jpg

protest_1503869c.jpg

your-children-will-pray-to-allah-or-die-400x231.jpg

muslimdemographics9.jpg

Angra, is there anyone in the op having 5 children in an overcrowded situation that in context was being compared to the Maggie and Glenn Zombie Apocalypse situation? Is there something here that isn't clear to you about what Derec is saying?

Don2 (Don1 Revised) said:
Angra, could you clarify if you think economic migration is mutually exclusive with having an objective of islamicizing Europe?
Obviously it's not logically mutually exclusive, but in the context of Derec's posts, he didn't seem to be attributing both, but rather, attributing different goals in different posts; I analized that problem in greater detail in this post.

Don2 (Don1 Revised) said:
Angra, is there anyone in the op having 5 children in an overcrowded situation that in context was being compared to the Maggie and Glenn Zombie Apocalypse situation? Is there something here that isn't clear to you about what Derec is saying?
Of course there is plenty that isn't clear to me, which is why I'm asking him.
In most posts he seem to be talking about one thing, in some about another.
See this post of mine for more details.

Maybe he will answer, and I will know what he meant.

Obviously it's not logically mutually exclusive, but in the context of Derec's posts, he didn't seem to be attributing both, but rather, attributing different goals in different posts; I analized that problem in greater detail in this post.

Perhaps it would have been better to analyse the problem.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom