• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why "Chinese Virus" is racist

ETW0HLoXkAEiy2l

There's something that I find VERY significant here. Those who claim that "Chinese virus" is not a racist or bigoted term do not seem to be the least bit bothered about scapegoating of Chinese people and refusal to eat at Chinese restaurants and the like.

There's something that I find VERY significant here. Those who claim that "Chinese virus" is not a racist or bigoted term do not seem to be the least bit bothered about scapegoating of Chinese people and refusal to eat at Chinese restaurants and the like.

You realize that most people who go to Chinese restaurants are Chinese?

Evidence: {}

If you'd get over your infatuation with AOC and get out of the house once and awhile, what is obvious to everyone could be obvious to you.

Are people required to eat at restaurants in a non-discriminatory manner?

At this moment it's important to remember that "Chinese Virus" is racist but "White Privilege" isn't.

LOL, I was recently studying web crap including JSON

Most of the customers at Chinese restaurants in the US are definitely not Chinese. There are Chinese restaurants in just about every city in the country, and they don't even always employ Chinese staff. At one restaurant in Columbus I went to a few years ago, I had to ask for chopsticks. The waitress went to look in the back to see if they had any. Needless to say, not the best Chinese food I had ever had.

Look, this issue about using ethnic or country references has already been addressed. In 2015, WHO issued the following "best practices" standard for naming new diseases: WHO issues best practices for naming new human infectious diseases

8 MAY 2015 | GENEVA - WHO today called on scientists, national authorities and the media to follow best practices in naming new human infectious diseases to minimize unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people.

“In recent years, several new human infectious diseases have emerged. The use of names such as ‘swine flu’ and ‘Middle East Respiratory Syndrome’ has had unintended negative impacts by stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors,” says Dr Keiji Fukuda, Assistant Director-General for Health Security, WHO. “This may seem like a trivial issue to some, but disease names really do matter to the people who are directly affected. We’ve seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals. This can have serious consequences for peoples’ lives and livelihoods.”

Diseases are often given common names by people outside of the scientific community. Once disease names are established in common usage through the Internet and social media, they are difficult to change, even if an inappropriate name is being used. Therefore, it is important that whoever first reports on a newly identified human disease uses an appropriate name that is scientifically sound and socially acceptable...

It depends on who's using the term. It could be a neutral descriptor, but I mostly see it used by those who do have a bigoted intent.

View attachment 26636

I don't mind "Wuhan Flu" or "Wuhan Virus" because without having a proper name it's going to get referred to by it's origin. However, "Chinese Virus" came later after it had an official name. The intent is almost certainly derogatory.

Good info here. Next time my friends and I go out for dinner, instead of saying,"Hey, let's go for some Chinese food!", we'll be sure to say "Hey, let's go for some food-from-that country-that-shall-not-be-named" so we can pat ourselves on the back for how super "not racist" we are.

How do you know they are Chinese?
Why would Chinese people eat at an American Chinese Restaurant? They don't exactly serve ethnic Chinese Food.

That'd be like saying mostly Italians only eat at Olive Garden.

Or Mexicans are the primary customers at Taco Bell.

No, they are Japanese.
Prove me wrong.

Most of the customers at Chinese restaurants in the US are definitely not Chinese. There are Chinese restaurants in just about every city in the country, and they don't even always employ Chinese staff. At one restaurant in Columbus I went to a few years ago, I had to ask for chopsticks. The waitress went to look in the back to see if they had any. Needless to say, not the best Chinese food I had ever had.

Look, this issue about using ethnic or country references has already been addressed. In 2015, WHO issued the following "best practices" standard for naming new diseases: WHO issues best practices for naming new human infectious diseases

8 MAY 2015 | GENEVA - WHO today called on scientists, national authorities and the media to follow best practices in naming new human infectious diseases to minimize unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people.

“In recent years, several new human infectious diseases have emerged. The use of names such as ‘swine flu’ and ‘Middle East Respiratory Syndrome’ has had unintended negative impacts by stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors,” says Dr Keiji Fukuda, Assistant Director-General for Health Security, WHO. “This may seem like a trivial issue to some, but disease names really do matter to the people who are directly affected. We’ve seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals. This can have serious consequences for peoples’ lives and livelihoods.”

Diseases are often given common names by people outside of the scientific community. Once disease names are established in common usage through the Internet and social media, they are difficult to change, even if an inappropriate name is being used. Therefore, it is important that whoever first reports on a newly identified human disease uses an appropriate name that is scientifically sound and socially acceptable...

Plus this all misses the fact that Trump is intentionally calling it the “Chinese Flu” as a deliberate slight to China. It’s “racist” by intent, not inadvertently or indirectly.

Plus this all misses the fact that Trump is intentionally calling it the “Chinese Flu” as a deliberate slight to China. It’s “racist” by intent, not inadvertently or indirectly.

China is pushing a narrstive that the virus came from the US military. Trump even referenced this when asked why he called it the Chinese virus. Yes, this is Trump’s counterpunch.

China is pushing a narrstive that the virus came from the US military. Trump even referenced this when asked why he called it the Chinese virus. Yes, this is Trump’s counterpunch.

Nice try. Unfortunately for you, China “pushed” that narrative AFTER Trump blamed China, so, no, it could not be Trump’s “counterpunch.” If anything, it would be China doing the counterpunching.

Back
Top Bottom