• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why "Chinese Virus" is racist

China is pushing a narrstive that the virus came from the US military. Trump even referenced this when asked why he called it the Chinese virus. Yes, this is Trump’s counterpunch.

Nice try. Unfortunately for you, China “pushed” that narrative AFTER Trump blamed China, so, no, it could not be Trump’s “counterpunch.” If anything, it would be China doing the counterpunching.

Um, unless you’re carrying water for the Chi-Coms, it is China’s fault. They tried to bury the outbreak and punished doctors who spoke out. But Trump didn’t start calling it the “Chinese” virus until after China tried to malign the US.

ETW0HLoXkAEiy2l

If one continues to read the story one can see it is a US study, not a Chinese one.

The argument is essentially a rerun of the debate over whether to allow lab research that increases the virulence, ease of spread or host range of dangerous pathogens — what is known as ‘gain-of-function’ research. In October 2014, the US government imposed a moratorium on federal funding of such research on the viruses that cause SARS, influenza and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome, a deadly disease caused by a virus that sporadically jumps from camels to people).

The latest study was already under way before the US moratorium began, and the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) allowed it to proceed while it was under review by the agency, says Ralph Baric, an infectious-disease researcher at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a co-author of the study. The NIH eventually concluded that the work was not so risky as to fall under the moratorium, he says.
https://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wunc/files/styles/x_large/public/202003/ralph-baric-UNC.jpg

Study co-author mentioned is Ralph Baric:
ralph-baric-UNC.jpg

And it's weird that Tinfoil Trausti didn't just link to the study, because the page says this now,

Editors’ note, March 2020: We are aware that this story is being used as the basis for unverified theories that the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 was engineered. There is no evidence that this is true; scientists believe that an animal is the most likely source of the coronavirus.

Engineered bat virus stirs debate over risky research : Nature News & Comment

Also see COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic has a natural origin -- ScienceDaily

Good info here. Next time my friends and I go out for dinner, instead of saying,"Hey, let's go for some Chinese food!", we'll be sure to say "Hey, let's go for some food-from-that country-that-shall-not-be-named" so we can pat ourselves on the back for how super "not racist" we are.

That would be comparable if you like to eat the coranavirus or everyone hated Chinese food. By the way, do you work for OANN?

Reporter asks Trump if 'Chinese food' is racist and accuses 'left-wing' media of siding with Beijing

And it's weird that Tinfoil Trausti didn't just link to the study, because the page says this now,

Editors’ note, March 2020: We are aware that this story is being used as the basis for unverified theories that the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 was engineered. There is no evidence that this is true; scientists believe that an animal is the most likely source of the coronavirus.

Engineered bat virus stirs debate over risky research : Nature News & Comment

Also see COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic has a natural origin -- ScienceDaily

Well, I don’t doubt this came from a bat. In China. Which is why I posted the 2007 study. This other one just has an unintentional dark humor to it.

Yeah it came from a bat, not a lab. But it wasn't directly from a bat, there was likely an intermediate host.

China is pushing a narrstive that the virus came from the US military. Trump even referenced this when asked why he called it the Chinese virus. Yes, this is Trump’s counterpunch.

Nice try. Unfortunately for you, China “pushed” that narrative AFTER Trump blamed China, so, no, it could not be Trump’s “counterpunch.” If anything, it would be China doing the counterpunching.

Um, unless you’re carrying water for the Chi-Coms, it is China’s fault. They tried to bury the outbreak and punished doctors who spoke out. But Trump didn’t start calling it the “Chinese” virus until after China tried to malign the US.

So blame the government of China for their stupid behavior. We know that you aren't going to blame our government for their own stupid behavior. None of this has anything to do with the reason why "Chinese flu" or "Wuhan flu" are racist labels. That is spelled out clearly in the 2015 WHO memo that ended the practice of using country names for novel contagious infections. The practice tends to promote resentment and harassment of the PEOPLE who come from there, not just their government. It leads to racial and ethnic bigotry.

So blame the government of China for their stupid behavior. We know that you aren't going to blame our government for their own stupid behavior. None of this has anything to do with the reason why "Chinese flu" or "Wuhan flu" are racist labels. That is spelled out clearly in the 2015 WHO memo that ended the practice of using country names for novel contagious infections. The practice tends to promote resentment and harassment of the PEOPLE who come from there, not just their government. It leads to racial and ethnic bigotry.

You mean blame the CHINESE government? Wow, you just lost like a thousand Wokemon points.

Evidence: {}

If you'd get over your infatuation with AOC and get out of the house once and awhile, what is obvious to everyone could be obvious to you.

As someone who has eaten at a decent number of Chinese restaurants I question the "most" of your claim. In small restaurants it's generally true, but once you have a larger restaurant not in a Chinatown I would say the majority of diners are white.

They tried to squash it at first until they realized what he was reporting was pretty much true. (He reported it as SARS rather than realizing it was something new, but a frontline doctor isn't exactly in a position to figure out the difference based on a few cases.) However, since then they have behaved far better about it than we have.

Evidence: {}

If you'd get over your infatuation with AOC and get out of the house once and awhile, what is obvious to everyone could be obvious to you.

As someone who has eaten at a decent number of Chinese restaurants I question the "most" of your claim. In small restaurants it's generally true, but once you have a larger restaurant not in a Chinatown I would say the majority of diners are white.

Yes, I mean exactly that. Stop using a racist label that is intended to spread anger and resentment at the Chinese. If you are going to hate anyone for the mess we are in, blame the Trump administration for waiting too long before taking it seriously. Blame a president who still won't use his emergency powers to force industry to produce medical necessities that are needed to combat the virus. China, at least, is willing to send us supplies that they no longer need in order to help us with the shortages that were caused by our poor planning.

Yeah, this right-wing crap is just beyond the realm of belief. They'll be gasping their last breaths, cursing the liberal media as their swollen lungs fail in getting oxygen into their blood system. Chinese food isn't ethnic Chinese food. Much like how Pizza Hut isn't ethnic Italian or Cracker Barrel isn't food fit for human consumption. Why is this even an argument?

I feel like we are talking to the Tribe fan in Major League, who upon seeing a pitch smacked out of the park remark "too high" and handwaves that it'll be a homerun.
Good info here. Next time my friends and I go out for dinner, instead of saying,"Hey, let's go for some Chinese food!", we'll be sure to say "Hey, let's go for some food-from-that country-that-shall-not-be-named" so we can pat ourselves on the back for how super "not racist" we are.

That would be comparable if you like to eat the coranavirus or everyone hated Chinese food. By the way, do you work for OANN?

Reporter asks Trump if 'Chinese food' is racist and accuses 'left-wing' media of siding with Beijing

Some folks are using more responsible names for it. I am going to refer to it as the Trump Virus henceforth.

Some folks are using more responsible names for it. I am going to refer to it as the Trump Virus henceforth.

Well, you’re a racist.

You're right and I admit it: I HATE orange people. Good thing there's only one of them - and I hope they die soon.

Yeah. These days everyone is racist because everything is racist. The term has lost any meaningful definition. Elixir is racist and proud.

You're right and I admit it: I HATE orange people. Good thing there's only one of them - and I hope they die soon.

Yeah. These days everyone is racist because everything is racist. The term has lost any meaningful definition. Elixir is racist and proud.

You're racist for picking on me for being racist. Fucking racist!

How is it racist? Remember when people said that calling Chinese people "slanted eyes" was racist even though it's a fact they have slanted eyes?

Yet the Chinese have used "round eye" as an insult for White Americans for the longest time and no one screams at the Chinese to stop their racism.

Why is it only white people that can be racist?

White people are also a minority race worldwide at 850 million people for 11.5% of the population. And leftists usually say that minority races can stick together and fight for survival....so.......

How is it racist? Remember when people said that calling Chinese people "slanted eyes" was racist even though it's a fact they have slanted eyes?

Yet the Chinese have used "round eye" as an insult for White Americans for the longest time and no one screams at the Chinese to stop their racism.

Why is it only white people that can be racist?

White people are also a minority race worldwide at 850 million people for 11.5% of the population. And leftists usually say that minority races can stick together and fight for survival....so.......

The "racist" angle is just propaganda from the Chinese Communists that the useful idiots in the West are happy to bandy about.

Back
Top Bottom