• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why do we care what people died of?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
We do care, that much is certain. When we hear of someone’s death, we can be full of compassion at their loss and also have a real urge to know why.

Why is that, I wonder?
I mean, from a genuine psychological or evolutionary perspective.

Is it to make some changes to our lives to avoid same? Is it to try to judge them for fault? Is it to better align ourselves to provide compassion and comfort to their survivors?

Wondering about this today.

When I was writing my Dad's obituary, a similar thought occurred to me. People always seem to lead with the disease. That bothered me. My Dad was going to die... I didn't want to give cancer a first billing in his Obituary, my Dad should have first billing. An obituary should be about the impact of his presence and his life, not some bullet point list about his passing. So I tucked in near the end, almost as an aside.

I think it is possible some people want others to know that the passing wasn't fair. For celebrities it is odd. It is more like gawking. Did they deserve it (Anna Nicole Smith)? Was it unfair (Chadwick Boseman)? Somewhere in between (Heath Ledger)? It is as if we feel the need to reserve our compassion only for the right cases.

I'd love to see a comic on this in Strange Planet.

We do care, that much is certain. When we hear of someone’s death, we can be full of compassion at their loss and also have a real urge to know why.

Why is that, I wonder?
I mean, from a genuine psychological or evolutionary perspective.

Is it to make some changes to our lives to avoid same? Is it to try to judge them for fault? Is it to better align ourselves to provide compassion and comfort to their survivors?

Wondering about this today.
I think all of this.

Sometimes, that information does help people know how to provide support and comfort to the bereaved. And let's you know what to avoid saying, to avoid triggering bad memories. A friend recently died of a brain tumor. My sister just survived removal of a different kind of brain tumor. Not something to mention at my friend's wake although it might have been a natural thing to mention as I caught up with some people I have not seen for a long time. I'm sure that's a poor example but I'm a bit sleep deprived.

Sometimes, knowing inspires people to make donations to specific causes that support research into curing/preventing/supporting patients with the same or similar disorder.

My father died of COPD a bit quicker than he might have done (but still years past the life expectancy he was given when he finally was forced to admit the COPD) if he had not also developed leukemia. My father's widow insisted on saying that he died of leukemia and no mention of COPD in his obit. She grew up on a tobacco farm....

Sometimes people don't want a specific cause of death mentioned--suicide seems to be the most common cause that people do not want mentioned. AIDS, even cancer sometimes. I suppose it is 'shame' or 'sin' attached. Older people than me sometimes thought on some level that people who died difficult, unpleasant deaths must have done something to deserve it. I don't think my father deserved COPD or leukemia, although COPD was reasonably predictable given his smoking habits and the fact that he didn't give up smoking until after he accepted the diagnosis. But no, he didn't deserve to die that way. People who die of AIDS do not deserve it, no matter what decisions they made about their sex lives or drug use or whatever was the cause of the infection.

This past summer a good friend passed away from a debilitating progressive neurodegenerative disorder. While most people knew, eventually, that my friend had some kind of neurodegenerative disorder, very few people were aware of what kind of disorder it was until they read his obit. I have never asked his family why this information was kept so quiet except the need and desire for privacy. Good friends provide support even if they do not know all the sordid details. No one else matters.

Another factor: Knowing what people died of is an indication of what poses a hazard.

I know I read about any local outdoor death, evaluating if there was a cause that wouldn't happen to me (for example, the guy that we never got details on but it appears he went up into exposed areas, got off the X when lightning threatened and got stranded in an area with no cell service. I had looked at the weather that day and noped it on account of lightning risk and if I had ended up in his position I have satellite transmitters), whether it was incidental (the guy who keeled over from a heart attack) or whether it's something I need to reevaluate my safety standards to address. (To date, no examples.)

I had a nineteen year old family member die behind the wheel, after midnight. That's all I know about that. I never inquired about the obvious. It wasn't like him and it didn't matter to me. What mattered was the days after the wreck.

His burned, mangled body remained technically alive for four days. I wish it hadn't. I don't know if any of him was still there suffering in those remaining days. I wish they hadn't let that happen. I don't know if anyone had a choice in the matter of terminating him rather than allowing that existence. I don't know what morphine does in such a situation. Those were anguishing days. I hope he was not at all aware of them.

I watched my mom's final days of morphine. That should not be. We should at least treat our family members as compassionately as we do our pets.

But no. Unless there is a lesson to be learned. Perhaps some new safety procedure or the like.

In some prehistoric cultures people were interested in knowing whether the death was 'natural', FWIW. Death of old age was fine, death of other causes considered tragic.

That might be a part of it. If a ten year old dies you probably wouldn't be as quick to ask.

But a twenty year old? Not so bad, back in the day.

But a twenty year old? Not so bad, back in the day.

I can't remember where I read it, but I believe people consider it the most tragic around the time of puberty. Already got their life started with maximum time / potential left. Too young and it's a tragedy but the parents haven't invested much yet.

Maybe we're just a curious species and we want to know why things happen. I've even asked why a dog died, so why wouldn't I want to know why a human died? Humans are always trying to figure out why things happen. Why are we here? What is our purpose? Why do things happen? What is the reason the house burned down, the car got in a crash, the child fell out of the window, the list goes on and on. To me it's pretty simple, we want to know the reason that things happen.

I think that sometimes, maybe most of the time, when someone dies unexpectedly, the first reaction is How???? As in: How is that possible? I just saw him. She was so young! Was anyone else hurt? Sick? And so on.

I was with my mother, holding her hand, actually, when she died. It was long anticipated, and yes, made easier by morphine, thankfully. Still, it took me a couple of moments to process that she had died, even though I called the nurses to her room. Even though I heard the nurse declare the death and note the time.

Even though her death was a relief to everyone who loved her. Even though it was a blessing.

I am grateful for the morphine that eased her suffering.

I think it is just because we are generally inquisitive and like to have reasons for what happens.

We also like drama.

Back
Top Bottom