• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why I am a member here even though I am a Christian

Did you go by the same name in the old forum? I have always been Sarpedon.

Did you go by the same name in the old forum? I have always been Sarpedon.

Yep. Wasn't a real active poster, but I did participate from time to time. Did more reading than anything else though just like on this one :)

Ruth

Ruth, did you used to post on a more politically right-wing forum? I have very faded recall of your name from years ago when I had been, possibly at the Ann Coulter forum.

Regardless, it is nice to have you here. Even when we disagree, you still seem like a very kind and pleasant person, so thank you for your contributions.

Brian

Brian63: I think we discussed this before on the old forum IIRC. No, I have never done right-wing at all and most definitely not political stuff. But I think I remember you saying something about being on Rev. Joshua Villines old forum? I know SoHy (Southern Hybrid aka Kathy) was on his forums and I always enjoyed her posts.

Ruth

Edit: Yes, I remember now. You were on Rev. Joshua's forum and somehow the conversation got around to atheists sacrificing kittens :) You are the one who invited me to this forum! Boy, it is a real pain getting old and forgetting fun things like that.

Last edited:
Well, you still have a better memory of all this than I have, so I do envy you there. Welcome here, regardless.

Brian

Thanks! You probably don't remember because it wasn't any big deal to you. But it impressed me that an atheist would invite a Christian to their forum so it stuck with me - until I started overwriting brain tracks due to lack of free storage :D

Ruth

Thanks! You probably don't remember because it wasn't any big deal to you. But it impressed me that an atheist would invite a Christian to their forum so it stuck with me - until I started overwriting brain tracks due to lack of free storage :D

Ruth

Ruth
I am a little jealous
105 posts for rep power of 48. Very good going.

Tigers!: I don't even know what rep power is and how it relates to number of posts. I never paid much attention to that. But given what you said, I guess you just paid me a compliment so thanks :)

Ruth

I know that many of you question why someone would join this forum if they are really Christian.
What an odd premise for a thread.
I don't recall anyone challenging a Christain for posting on this forum, just for the sake of their being Christain.
I think we're all pretty open to the idea that there are topics which attract people who want to discuss them.

Now, on a case by case basis, i have seen individual posters questioned, because their stated goals seem to be at odds with the contents of their posts. Or they may seem to be challenging the atheists to disprove god, while playing a game of keep-away with their own beliefs, or the reasons for those beliefs. Then one might as THAT PERSON why they're a member.

But I don't think that being washed in the blood of the lamb would or should limit the kinds of forums you're allowed to post on.

On the other hand, I have seen MANY theists insist that the very fact atheists discuss religion somehow weakens their claim to be atheists. If i really didn't believe in gods, they feel, i'd completely ignore the topic. This position, of course, strikes me as a teensy bit moronic. I discuss Star Trek without even slightly thinking it's real, i discuss Star Wars, also without thinking it's real. I write bible fanfiction without thinking that any of the characters on the Ark were real. I can discuss membership in and the theology that drives the Flat Earth society without even slightly thinking, hey, maybe they have a point.

But, well, a belated welcome to the board, Ruth. For whatever your reasons are...

Star Wars is an interesting Saga. I discuss it without believing most of it is real. The force is of course very real, and we all know that. But yes, now that Disney has it, there will be no end. Star wars could have died, but the Saga continues. Largely because of critics, if you think about it.

I know that many of you question why someone would join this forum if they are really Christian.
What an odd premise for a thread.
I don't recall anyone challenging a Christain for posting on this forum, just for the sake of their being Christain.
I think we're all pretty open to the idea that there are topics which attract people who want to discuss them.

Now, on a case by case basis, i have seen individual posters questioned, because their stated goals seem to be at odds with the contents of their posts. Or they may seem to be challenging the atheists to disprove god, while playing a game of keep-away with their own beliefs, or the reasons for those beliefs. Then one might as THAT PERSON why they're a member.

But I don't think that being washed in the blood of the lamb would or should limit the kinds of forums you're allowed to post on.

On the other hand, I have seen MANY theists insist that the very fact atheists discuss religion somehow weakens their claim to be atheists. If i really didn't believe in gods, they feel, i'd completely ignore the topic. This position, of course, strikes me as a teensy bit moronic. I discuss Star Trek without even slightly thinking it's real, i discuss Star Wars, also without thinking it's real. I write bible fanfiction without thinking that any of the characters on the Ark were real. I can discuss membership in and the theology that drives the Flat Earth society without even slightly thinking, hey, maybe they have a point.

But, well, a belated welcome to the board, Ruth. For whatever your reasons are...

Thanks for the welcome, but I am not really new. I have been lurking here for over a decade now :)

And you are right about the thread title and initial opening. I was guilty of knowing what I was thinking and expecting everyone else to know by osmosis or something. A more accurate title and opening would be "Why would anyone who is a Christian want to be a member here?" and then expanding a little on my statement about having seen members question whether or not someone is really Christian because of their actions or accuse them of joining simply to denigrate atheists because of their attitude. I should have proofed that opening more thoroughly.

I don't think it is the least bit strange that atheists would enjoy discussing religion and theology. It is a fascinating topic with all of its differing views and permutations. And hey - I like Star Trek too! A small hint how much I like it would be the fact that my primary email address contains the word "starship" :)

You write bible fanfiction? Would you be willing to share? I am a voracious reader and love finding new reading material. And I am not offended by things that would be considered heretical by most mainstream denominations; it is just fiction, after all. I just enjoy a good story.

Ruth

Star Wars is an interesting Saga. I discuss it without believing most of it is real. The force is of course very real, and we all know that. But yes, now that Disney has it, there will be no end. Star wars could have died, but the Saga continues. Largely because of critics, if you think about it.

I did like the 3 original movies, but after that things kind of jumped the shark in my opinion. Lost any interest in following it after that.

But.....may the force be with you! :star:

Ruth

Ready to test your faith?

I am still not sure why you are asking this - why is it necessary for my faith to be tested in whatever manner you think is appropriate? You have to know that I would consider it a waste of time. I am not trying to be offensive here; I just want to know what benefit you think this will have for either of us.

Ruth

Ready to test your faith?

I am still not sure why you are asking this - why is it necessary for my faith to be tested in whatever manner you think is appropriate? You have to know that I would consider it a waste of time. I am not trying to be offensive here; I just want to know what benefit you think this will have for either of us.
There are many gods and religions. Most people did not choose the ones they have, these things were chosen for them while they were very young.

Think of something we absolutely choose on our own. This is how a religion - or no religion - should be acquired.

Thanks for the welcome, but I am not really new. I have been lurking here for over a decade now :)
Thus... 'belated.'
And you are right about the thread title and initial opening. I was guilty of knowing what I was thinking and expecting everyone else to know by osmosis or something. A more accurate title and opening would be "Why would anyone who is a Christian want to be a member here?" and then expanding a little on my statement about having seen members question whether or not someone is really Christian because of their actions or accuse them of joining simply to denigrate atheists because of their attitude.
Well, wouldn't it be proper to question someone's qualifications as a Christain if their actions are at odds with their stated theology?
I mean, you can't say that something is anathema to you if you participate in it, can you?

But in general, i still think that no one questions a Christain on the forum just because of their Christain status.
On an individual basis, sincerity is questioned, but we also do that with Syed, so it's not an 'atheists vs. Christain' thing.
I don't think it is the least bit strange that atheists would enjoy discussing religion and theology. It is a fascinating topic with all of its differing views and permutations. And hey - I like Star Trek too! A small hint how much I like it would be the fact that my primary email address contains the word "starship" :)
Primary? Not ALL?

Dilettante... :)D)
You write bible fanfiction?
Yes. I'm particularly proud of "Why are there no unicorns?" which got listed on Gawd-Awful-Fan-Fiction. Although some of the things the reviewer took exception to were not my fault... I mean, the character's name IS Ham. And i didn't even make a Ham sandwich joke...
http://books.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600093423

And "God dictates in mysterious ways"
http://books.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=544203648

ANd if you've ever seen 'Skippy’s List: The 213 things Skippy is no longer allowed to do in the U.S. Army'
http://skippyslist.com/list/

I have 'Things Rev Skippy can no longer do on the Pulpit'
http://books.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=544208231

I test my disbelief daily and weigh things. Always swings toward no, it is impossible to be conscious at this moment without a God (or whatever it is supposed to be called). I call it Jesus because that is the most reasonable thing for me to do culturally, and in the current state of understanding when it comes to other Religions - I really have no choice. I assume they're all the same. I go with my gut and say all God's draw from a similar energy. Possible all output by humans alone. Maybe not.

Satan and God are the only popular ones I'm familiar with. Satan is no longer controversial and the character/entity is no longer looked upon the same. Entertainment, fashion and advertising thrive on the notion of satan in their imagery and language. In my opinion that is part of a large and very powerfully motivated intention - with the purpose of bringing us all to Christ. So one and the same, as far as that goes (in the immaterial world). In the supposed "material word", it is all of course the product of a God of sorts, no matter what form I ultimately assume in "reality".

God is reality - and the ability to communicate with other unique souls among the static or plasma gel that we actually physically live in. We see such a fraction of what is actually here, we'd be fools to believe that what we are able to see is completely what it seems to be. The sacrifice of Christ always comes to me when I go to this place, because somebody gotta keep the mega plasma wifi working. The secret knowledge that we're not actually real may be the sin we were saved from. Now that we have crossed the threshold with our own insect-like technologies, only a galactic ejection of super photon light radiation ray beams could reset our grids and habits. A year without electricity is going to save modern humanity, if Christ is a no-show again this year. God I pray for that so often.

I'm so sorry for rambling and please continue for God's sake.

There are many gods and religions. Most people did not choose the ones they have, these things were chosen for them while they were very young.

Think of something we absolutely choose on our own. This is how a religion - or no religion - should be acquired.

Ah. If that is what he means, then I have already done that. I spent many years investigating a wide range of different faiths. That includes Wicca, Buddhism, Judaism (you might think this doesn't count since Christianity sprang from that one), and minor studies on several things such as polytheism, Zoroastrianism, and gnosticism. I even did a study on atheism. I started these studies when I was in my early teens. I did not attend church at that time on a regular basis. And I wound up a Christian; specifically, a Baptist after a study on differing Christian denominations. I have been a member of a Baptist church for about 20 years now. And if you try to add those 20 years to the age I was when I started my studies to come up with my age, you will be way off :)

Is that what you were after, none?

Ruth

Thus... 'belated.'
And you are right about the thread title and initial opening. I was guilty of knowing what I was thinking and expecting everyone else to know by osmosis or something. A more accurate title and opening would be "Why would anyone who is a Christian want to be a member here?" and then expanding a little on my statement about having seen members question whether or not someone is really Christian because of their actions or accuse them of joining simply to denigrate atheists because of their attitude.
Well, wouldn't it be proper to question someone's qualifications as a Christain if their actions are at odds with their stated theology?
I mean, you can't say that something is anathema to you if you participate in it, can you?

But in general, i still think that no one questions a Christain on the forum just because of their Christain status.
On an individual basis, sincerity is questioned, but we also do that with Syed, so it's not an 'atheists vs. Christain' thing.
Primary? Not ALL?

Dilettante... :)D)
You write bible fanfiction?
Yes. I'm particularly proud of "Why are there no unicorns?" which got listed on Gawd-Awful-Fan-Fiction. Although some of the things the reviewer took exception to were not my fault... I mean, the character's name IS Ham. And i didn't even make a Ham sandwich joke...
http://books.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600093423

And "God dictates in mysterious ways"
http://books.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=544203648

ANd if you've ever seen 'Skippy’s List: The 213 things Skippy is no longer allowed to do in the U.S. Army'
http://skippyslist.com/list/

I have 'Things Rev Skippy can no longer do on the Pulpit'
http://books.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=544208231

I love the Skippy's List! I read them when I need comic relief. Are you the author or did you just do a takeoff of it based on religion?

Cool. I now have new reading material. Thanks.

As for my email addresses - I do have to have one with a professional name for my job. Deponent sayeth not regarding all the rest...... :D

Ruth

Ah. If that is what he means, then I have already done that. I spent many years investigating a wide range of different faiths. That includes Wicca, Buddhism, Judaism (you might think this doesn't count since Christianity sprang from that one), and minor studies on several things such as polytheism, Zoroastrianism, and gnosticism. I even did a study on atheism. I started these studies when I was in my early teens. I did not attend church at that time on a regular basis. And I wound up a Christian; specifically, a Baptist after a study on differing Christian denominations. I have been a member of a Baptist church for about 20 years now. And if you try to add those 20 years to the age I was when I started my studies to come up with my age, you will be way off :)

Is that what you were after, none?

Ruth
Apparently, then, belief of this type must be part of your ontology, and so you can come to a choice. I was not such a proactive searcher, but rather just a curious observer, and remain a curious observer to this day. There are no religions that base themselves on being curious and making observations so I will likely remain nonreligious.

Are you baptized? Are you familiar with henotheism?

Back
Top Bottom