• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why is douchebag an ok insult, but not cunt?

I guess for the same reason you can quite reasonable say 'fudge', 'firetruck' instead of 'fuck'.

At school I sometimes say 'fornicate out of heaven' instead of the other. Especially if parents are around as it's not a good idea to swear around them.

It's more socially acceptable.

I think 'douchebag' is probably American. The use of the names of our sexual organs as swear-words says a great deal about our attitudes to ourselves, and the use of 'cunt' is almost inevitably sexist in a very nasty way, and I speak out of a culture where, for about a hundred years, to swear you had to blaspheme. Why not just say 'trump!' ? It is pretty shocking.

You can also say "Dick", "Cock", and "Asshole".... but "Cunt" is considered more rude. Makes no sense indeed.

You can also say "Dick", "Cock", and "Asshole".... but "Cunt" is considered more rude. Makes no sense indeed.
That there are words that are wrong is bizarre.

A: Yes, this word was invented, but we are not supposed to say it!
B: Why not?
A: The fuck that I know.

It varies by country. In Austrailia, men (women too?) frequently refer to each other a "cunts", and its no big deal. In England, "shag" is considered pretty offensive (the way "fuck" is here), but its a "meh", here in the US.

Words change all the time. When I was a kid, the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc were referred to as "oriental" and no one batted an eye. Today, you will probably get Twitter shamed and lose your job, house and kids if you use that word. Top Ramen has a flavor called Oriental, though, but the SJWs seem to have not picked up on that yet. I guess its OK to call soup Oriental, but not people.

I watched an old episode of Sanford and Son recently. Fred used the n-word in an episode. It got a pretty big reaction from the studio audience (mostly laughs because of the context), but there's no way that would fly today on NBC.

A vagina is where a baby comes from. A cunt is the massacre left behind. Women are self conscious about their cunts. Saying the word cunt reminds them how unnatural the world wants them to think their cunt is. The world wants women to think of their cunts as nasty sea slugs. That is probably more about men than women, but I don't really know. My guess is that men feel guilty for destroying their Mother's cunts. They also feel bad about the rape thoughts. Bad men created cunt. They channel a lot of energy into cunt, and the passion we feel about the word is because of the guilt men feel about the violent rape thoughts and destroying of their Mother's vagina.

The word cunt didn't start as a direct reference to a vagina, did it? I figured fishermen used it for bait slang and somehow it took on it's new meaning from there. The word did end up exactly where it belongs, but it could be other things. A cunt could be a small bat. When I think of the word cunt, I picture a gross bat flapping around eating bugs and leaving slime on things. A cunt bat. A smegma frog. What is the most profane animal name you can think of?

Cunt vs douche bag? Cunt has one syllable and it is a quick and sharply annunciated word. Douche bag has more color and it is more fun to pronounce. Douche bag is bubbly, and to look at it, you don't see much threat. Look at the word cunt. Cunt isn't a comical word. It isn't fun to say. Cunt looks and sounds like a word that could only be used to describe something negative or nasty. It doesn't sound positive at all.

A vagina is where a baby comes from. A cunt is the massacre left behind. Women are self conscious about their cunts. Saying the word cunt reminds them how unnatural the world wants them to think their cunt is. The world wants women to think of their cunts as nasty sea slugs. That is probably more about men than women, but I don't really know. My guess is that men feel guilty for destroying their Mother's cunts. They also feel bad about the rape thoughts. Bad men created cunt. They channel a lot of energy into cunt, and the passion we feel about the word is because of the guilt men feel about the violent rape thoughts and destroying of their Mother's vagina.

The word cunt didn't start as a direct reference to a vagina, did it? I figured fishermen used it for bait slang and somehow it took on it's new meaning from there. The word did end up exactly where it belongs, but it could be other things. A cunt could be a small bat. When I think of the word cunt, I picture a gross bat flapping around eating bugs and leaving slime on things. A cunt bat. A smegma frog. What is the most profane animal name you can think of?

Cunt vs douche bag? Cunt has one syllable and it is a quick and sharply annunciated word. Douche bag has more color and it is more fun to pronounce. Douche bag is bubbly, and to look at it, you don't see much threat. Look at the word cunt. Cunt isn't a comical word. It isn't fun to say. Cunt looks and sounds like a word that could only be used to describe something negative or nasty. It doesn't sound positive at all.
"the massacre left behind" ????

When a woman has a baby, it can be bloody and injurious. That is what I meant by massacre. Try "vagina after birth" in an image search.

When a woman has a baby, it can be bloody and injurious. That is what I meant by massacre. Try "vagina after birth" in an image search.
Actually, no. Chopping off a finger can be bloody and injurious. Giving birth naturally, may make one squeamish but is far from injurious. And it's not actually all that bloody - the placenta (you know the protein mass that feeds the baby during gestation) can be a little questionable. Regardless 'massacre" is far from the correct description.

I've been in the room during birth, thanx.
"Massacre" seems more than a little misogynistic. Like saying that after a birth, that pussy will never be attractive ever again...

Plus, total virgins can still be cunts, in the vernacular, as well as men without afterbirth concerns.

A "douchebag" is just a cleansing item that is not particularly appealing to most people, unless you have some weird fetish. The word "cunt" refers specifically to a part of woman's anatomy in a dehumanizing way, so it is much more personal.

An “OK” insult? Haha. Well, is it an ok insult if anyone feels insulted? Is it an insult at all if they don’t?

Wouldn’t it depend on who’s “insulting” who? I might call a friend a douchebag, possibly even a cunt, while making it plain I’m kidding and so give no offense (maybe). But can I call an unknown girl at the checkout a douchebag without her, rightly, feeling offended at least at my being too familiar with her? Even “babe” can be offensive in the wrong context.

Of course it’s not the words that are wrong. It’s primarily a matter of context, and that's likely so in whatever country. Again, even a very tame word can be offensive in the wrong context, used by the wrong person in the wrong way at the wrong time.

An “OK” insult? Haha. Well, is it an ok insult if anyone feels insulted?
THen it's okay AND it's funny.
Is it an insult at all if they don’t?
Yeah.
When my leading Petty Officer says 'All you faggots can go on liberty in an hour,' it's an insult. But it's okay because of context.
On the other hand, if someone takes the term personally, it's funny because he's got a thin skin... And it's kind of like chumming the waters.... We smell blood and start circling...

It varies by country. In Austrailia, men (women too?) frequently refer to each other a "cunts", and its no big deal. In England, "shag" is considered pretty offensive (the way "fuck" is here), but its a "meh", here in the US.

Words change all the time. When I was a kid, the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc were referred to as "oriental" and no one batted an eye. Today, you will probably get Twitter shamed and lose your job, house and kids if you use that word. Top Ramen has a flavor called Oriental, though, but the SJWs seem to have not picked up on that yet. I guess its OK to call soup Oriental, but not people.

I watched an old episode of Sanford and Son recently. Fred used the n-word in an episode. It got a pretty big reaction from the studio audience (mostly laughs because of the context), but there's no way that would fly today on NBC.
Shag is seen as (far) less offensive than fuck in England (& the rest of the UK).

Cunt is the worst of the worst but most people don't know what a douchebag is here so it's just a weird American insult . More like saying twat.

I'd say that - over here anyway - 'cunt' has been used almost exclusively by men (though who can tell what oddities the female Please driver may produce) and is always meant very offensively indeed. The offensiveness of particular words is always a bit baffling, and would make a fascinating PH. D. thesis. Why, for instance, do Americans piss and shit in bathrooms? It seems extraordinarily unhygienic! :)

Shag is seen as (far) less offensive than fuck in England (& the rest of the UK).

Cunt is the worst of the worst but most people don't know what a douchebag is here so it's just a weird American insult . More like saying twat.

Well, maybe things have changed since The Spy Who Shagged Me was released:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Powers:_The_Spy_Who_Shagged_Me

When the film was released, the title proved controversial in the United Kingdom, where the word shag is used to refer coarsely to sexual intercourse. Two sets of British TV adverts for the film existed, for showing before and after the watershed. The former was designed to air during daytime hours and only gave part of the title, (Austin Powers: The Spy Who—), before cutting off with one of a range of slightly suggestive scenes from the film, such as Austin squeezing out the contents of a massage oil bottle. The post watershed adverts, aired later in the evening, gave the full title. There were also two variations of the posters; one of them asterisked out the middle of the offending word. Other posters had named the film as Austin Powers 2.[5]

Back
Top Bottom