• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why isn't anyone called 'an elbow?'

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
I mean, plenty of people are dicks. If you say someone's an asshole, people know what you mean, by and large. Pussy, prick, cunt, ass, butthole... Seems like a lot of terms concentrate on a relatively small area of the body.

What are some other types of people that could be referred to as body parts?

I was thinking of elbows. I only really notice I have an elbow when it bumps into something, usually painfully. There are a few people like that in the department. I'm sure they have a function, and they must do their job....whatever it is, but I never make sure they're invited to meetings. I don't get told to run reports or questions past them. They've never sought me out to validate data on something they're doing.
The only time I even remember they're part of the division seems to be at retirement parties or potlucks, when they appear and take up a couple of seats between me and the venison chili....

They're 'Elbows.'

Any others?

My dad used to call people who were bad drivers, "jungle-headed jerk with ears on" You knew it was bad when he added, red-faced and spitting, "with ears on!"

In the same way you might refer to a place as "the armpit of the universe", you can tell somebody "you're the pits". This could be someone who washes infrequently and covers that fact up with perfume, and either has long, straggly hair or shaves it all off...

Retired people without work or hobbies could be called appendices, as they no longer perform a useful function.

That would fit with the overall pattern of fixating on body parts normally covered by minimally modest articles of clothing. I was kind of hoping to at least raise the bar to business casual.

I mean, plenty of people are dicks. If you say someone's an asshole, people know what you mean, by and large. Pussy, prick, cunt, ass, butthole... Seems like a lot of terms concentrate on a relatively small area of the body.

I was thinking of elbows. I only really notice I have an elbow when it bumps into something, usually painfully. There are a few people like that in the department. I'm sure they have a function, and they must do their job....whatever it is, but I never make sure they're invited to meetings. I don't get told to run reports or questions past them. They've never sought me out to validate data on something they're doing.
The only time I even remember they're part of the division seems to be at retirement parties or potlucks, when they appear and take up a couple of seats between me and the venison chili....

They're 'Elbows.'

Any others?

I could make a sarcastic comment; but I wouldn't want people to think me a knee.

Former world champion motorcycle Racer Ben Spies was called "Elbows" for obvious reasons.

156833d1252108621-ben-spies-re-signs-yamaha-motogp-2011-ben-spies.jpg

They're 'Elbows.'

Any others?

I don't think it's so much a small part of the body as body parts generally regarded as offensive at least in some contexts. That's mostly the sexual and waste elimination parts of the body.

Someone suggested "armpit" but I can't recall ever hearing that applied to a person, only to a place. Again, derogatory--armpits can stink.

"Heel" has also been suggested but it's use as a description of a person is not common. There's also the somewhat derogatory use--to have someone under your heel.

Places, but not people, can be described as "navel"--not derogatory, just meaning center.

They're 'Elbows.'

Any others?

Maybe these people quietly work hard at their jobs and mind their own business. What's that term for diligent hard work? Assholes and elbows? And not being invited to a meeting or two? Break my heart, please.

What's that term for diligent hard work? Assholes and elbows? And not being invited to a meeting or two?
'Asses and elbows' is a phrase indicating all you see of someone running in a direction that's not towards you. I've never understood it to be 'diligent' as much as 'sudden.' Positive or negative.

Everyone's lazing about in the break room until the boss walks in, then it's asses and elbows (as everyone runs off to be productive).

Or-
The great thing about submarine crews is no matter how many are asleep or watching a movie or eating chow, when something happens it's asses and elbows (as they head towards the casualty).

What about love handles? Is there anyone we can compare to love handles? They are unappealing and everyone wishes they didn't exist.

I've often pondered the etymological (
smileys-sunglasses-931411.gif
) origin of 'pussy' - anything less like a cat than a fanny I've yet to see!

If it helps, in Early Modern English (the 16th and 17th centuries) 'pussy' meant rabbit or hare, rather than cat.

'Cunt' also shares a root with 'coney', which is another word for rabbit.

So the analogy is to rabbits, not to cats.

I'm not sure how much that helps though.

I've often pondered the etymological (
smileys-sunglasses-931411.gif
) origin of 'pussy' - anything less like a cat than a fanny I've yet to see!

If it helps, in Early Modern English (the 16th and 17th centuries) 'pussy' meant rabbit or hare, rather than cat.

'Cunt' also shares a root with 'coney', which is another word for rabbit.

So the analogy is to rabbits, not to cats.

I'm not sure how much that helps though.

It doesn't help at all actually, because anything less like a rabbit than a fanny I've yet to see!
4chsmu1.gif

Back
Top Bottom