• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why the GOP is obsessed with "woke" — but can't define it

If you would have asked me what "woke" meant I would have said it is the liberal values of progressive enlightenment. And that may not be the original vocabulary but at this point it seems to be what I believe the conservative right thinks it is.

Here's the thing though. Conservatives have provided a definition. In court. In a legislative context.

Ryan Newman, DeSantis’ General Counsel, echoed the part about systemic injustices, specifically regarding the criminal justice system. “To me it means someone who believes that there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law,” Newman said. Asked what “woke” means more generally, Newman said “it would be the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.”

Newman added that DeSantis doesn’t believe there are systemic injustices in the U.S. He also emphasized he believed Warren’s “wokeism” led him to sign the pledge not to prosecute abortion crimes, the primary factor that led to his suspension.

So conservatives can provide a definition in court if they need to. But what you said next I found most interesting.

Correct. DeSantis should not be allowed to pass certain legislation that affects the citizens of Florida.
Then I disagree with your opinion. As would any other person who has any respect for the US Constitution.
Dude, you are supposed to read the entire post first before replying. Otherwise, it makes people look foolish to respond to something was said in jest, as if it were serious.
I didn't even say it in jest. Like, the whole fucking point of our governmental organization and founding documents are formed to make exactly one huge point: there are such thing as illegal laws, created as such because they infringe rights that have no business being infringed on, and they will not be enforced against the people lest the people commit to a new revolution.

That was the whole fucking point of all of early American history.

If someone thinks that's against the constitution and the principles it contains, it represents a travesty and tragedy of education.

DeSantis should NOT be allowed to pass any law he wants, because that was the whole goddamn point, to end that variety of tyranny.

they infringe rights that have no business being infringed on, and they will not be enforced against the people lest the people commit to a new revolution.
Such laws are supposed to be purged by the courts. That keeps everybody safe. But now "the courts" are at the mercy of a corrupt SCOTUS.
So we're likely screwed.

they infringe rights that have no business being infringed on, and they will not be enforced against the people lest the people commit to a new revolution.
Such laws are supposed to be purged by the courts. That keeps everybody safe. But now "the courts" are at the mercy of a corrupt SCOTUS.
So we're likely screwed.
It's to the point where the federal government needs a lever to censure whole states.

Like, to put a hold on a state government after it has passed more than N laws that successfully fail in court, that for the next X years every law will have to pass a bipartisan constitutional review selected by the House of Congress or some shit.

It's to the point where the federal government needs a lever to censure whole states.
Yes, and they had that lever in hand after the “War of Northern Aggression”. But opted for a no penalty kumbaya approach to reconstruction. They should at least have reduced the representation in Congress of the rebel States.

Yes, and they had that lever in hand after the “War of Northern Aggression”. But opted for a no penalty kumbaya approach to reconstruction. They should at least have reduced the representation in Congress of the rebel States.
The problem is that there are ever too many evil and powerful people to ever accomplish something as large and eclectic as a government without having at least a few of them there to spoil the lot.

It could be done roughshod over their objections and still they would find a way to foment influence and corrupt the system to empower them over others.

Yup. Going up against cheaters is always an asymmetrical affair.

Dolly Parton song "Rainbowland" banned from school concert because antiwoke assholes might be offended by a song about inclusion.

“It’s really about if we could love one another a little better or be a little kinder, be a little sweeter, we could live in rainbow land,” Parton said of the song in 2017, while Cyrus separately noted that some of the lyrics nod to “different races and genders and religions.”

“(It would be great) if we all did come together to create and said, ‘Hey, we’re different, that’s awesome, let’s not change to be the same, let’s stay different but let’s come together anyway.’ Because a rainbow’s not a rainbow without all the different colors,” Cyrus told NME.

Antiwoke assholes.

Back
Top Bottom