• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why the GOP is obsessed with "woke" — but can't define it

Why is it "fuck your feelings" on the out, but if someone protests them... oh my... their feelings matter now?

Also... she's at university. The one place where we're allowed to have crazy beliefs. The place is litterally a creative workshop for beliefs. By design. Where we get to experiment and try out new (often crazy) ideas to see how they fit in our brains.

Not anymore, not at campuses in the USA anyway;

Stanford University has apologized to a Trump-appointed judge who faced an embarrassing protest by a woke student mob - joined by the school's dean of 'equity' - after he was invited to speak at the college's Law School. Judge Kyle Duncan, from the fifth circuit of appeals, was ambushed by associate dean of equity, diversity and inclusion Tirien Steinbach during a discussion Thursday night. Steinbach - a former ACLU lawyer who previously defended free speech - initially claimed Duncan had a right to express his views. But she then launched into an impassioned six minute speech - which she had written down - condemning his life's work.

Daily Mail

All too common these days.
Who'd have thought a Trump-appointed judge was such a delicate snowflake would could not stand some criticism?

Who'd have thought a Trump-appointed judge was such a delicate snowflake would could not stand some criticism?
Who said the judge was having the problem?

Wasn't it Ms. Steinbach who behaved so badly that her employer apologized?
Tom

Who said the judge was having the problem?
The snowflake judge
He also said he felt attacked by Tirien Steinbach, the law school's associate dean for diversity, equity and inclusion. Steinbach addressed Duncan and students during the event, echoing the concerns protesters raised about his advocacy and judicial opinions while also clarifying his right to speak at the school.
(source Stanford apologizes after law students disrupt judge's speech )

According to these accounts - Chaos and Rudeness at Stanford and
Trump Judge Kyle Duncan's tantrum at Stanford Law was part of a bigger plan - there was a whole lot of rudeness on all sides. Not to mention snowflakeness.

TomC said:
Wasn't it Ms. Steinbach who behaved so badly that her employer apologized?
No, the apology was for the behavior of the protesters.

"Woke" is currently the favorite word of the right. Republican politicians can't go more that 5 or 6 words without peppering "woke" into their sentences. Turning on Fox News, you'll hear the word "woke" repeated ad nauseam, like a record skipping, but for hours at a time: "woke woke woke woke woke." Everything is "woke": Banks. Children's books. The military. Disney. M&Ms. Super Bowl performances. To be a Republican in the year 2023 is to spend every waking moment outraged and terrified by "woke," certain its wokey tendrils will snake their wokeness into your brain and woke-ify you into wokeitude.

But the funny thing about "woke" is that, while all Republicans hate it, they don't seem to have any idea how to define it. That was hilariously demonstrated in a viral video clip of conservative author Bethany Mandel falling completely apart when asked in an interview to define "woke," a concept she wrote an entire book denouncing. Mandel couldn't do it.

"So, I mean, woke is sort of the idea that, um..." she stammered before admitting it "is something that's very hard to define," and then failing utterly to get close.

Mind you, Mandel was not being cornered by some progressive journalist. She was on a reactionary show with two sympathetic hosts who bent over backward to give Mandel room to explain what "woke" meant, coaxing her gently with, "take your time." Yet she still couldn't define "woke."
If you would have asked me what "woke" meant I would have said it is the liberal values of progressive enlightenment. And that may not be the original vocabulary but at this point it seems to be what I believe the conservative right thinks it is. But the point is that "woke" covers a HUGE amount of ground. For example, to the feminist woke means female empowerment but to minority "woke" could mean affirmative action or de-funding the police. "Woke" means something entirely different to the transexual.

So it is no wonder most conservatives would probably not give you your slogan to word narative you are looking for. Because the "woke" term is just too nuanced to be able to do so accurately and quickly on que.

If you would have asked me what "woke" meant I would have said it is the liberal values of progressive enlightenment. And that may not be the original vocabulary but at this point it seems to be what I believe the conservative right thinks it is.

Here's the thing though. Conservatives have provided a definition. In court. In a legislative context.

Ryan Newman, DeSantis’ General Counsel, echoed the part about systemic injustices, specifically regarding the criminal justice system. “To me it means someone who believes that there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law,” Newman said. Asked what “woke” means more generally, Newman said “it would be the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.”

Newman added that DeSantis doesn’t believe there are systemic injustices in the U.S. He also emphasized he believed Warren’s “wokeism” led him to sign the pledge not to prosecute abortion crimes, the primary factor that led to his suspension.

So conservatives can provide a definition in court if they need to. But what you said next I found most interesting.

But the point is that "woke" covers a HUGE amount of ground. For example, to the feminist woke means female empowerment but to minority "woke" could mean affirmative action or de-funding the police. "Woke" means something entirely different to the transexual.

So it is no wonder most conservatives would probably not give you your slogan to word narative you are looking for. Because the "woke" term is just too nuanced to be able to do so accurately and quickly on que.

Each of your examples can fit the definition DeSantis' team provided in court.

So my question to you is this; You have actual politicians with real world power forming legislation on wokeness - something you describe as "too nuanced to be able to do so accurately and quickly on que(sic)". Why do you support this type of suppression of free speech? Because if you are legislating something that you can define retroactively afterwards that's exactly what you are doing.

Rep. Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “‘The Life of Rosa Parks’ is too woke for Republicans.”

On the House floor, she showed some books that Republicans objected to as "woke". Then saying that 40% of books banned as "woke" had addressed LGBT issues.

Also Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Republicans say they oppose government overreach. But, they're the ones passing bills that ban books in our libraries. Even the 'Life of Rosa Parks' is too woke for Republicans. (vid link)" / Twitter - she says that some parents oppose these supposed "parents' rights" bills, and that she supports "freedom over fascism".

Last edited:
If you would have asked me what "woke" meant I would have said it is the liberal values of progressive enlightenment. And that may not be the original vocabulary but at this point it seems to be what I believe the conservative right thinks it is.

Here's the thing though. Conservatives have provided a definition. In court. In a legislative context.

Ryan Newman, DeSantis’ General Counsel, echoed the part about systemic injustices, specifically regarding the criminal justice system. “To me it means someone who believes that there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law,” Newman said. Asked what “woke” means more generally, Newman said “it would be the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.”

Newman added that DeSantis doesn’t believe there are systemic injustices in the U.S. He also emphasized he believed Warren’s “wokeism” led him to sign the pledge not to prosecute abortion crimes, the primary factor that led to his suspension.

So conservatives can provide a definition in court if they need to. But what you said next I found most interesting.

But the point is that "woke" covers a HUGE amount of ground. For example, to the feminist woke means female empowerment but to minority "woke" could mean affirmative action or de-funding the police. "Woke" means something entirely different to the transexual.

So my question to you is this; You have actual politicians with real world power forming legislation on wokeness - something you describe as "too nuanced to be able to do so accurately and quickly on que(sic)". Why do you support this type of suppression of free speech? Because if you are legislating something that you can define retroactively afterwards that's exactly what you are doing.
I don't understand your question and what you are asking. That DeSantis lawyer is not specific enough about what "woke" means? Or is it that you feel DeSantis (duly elected governor of Florida) should not be allowed to pass legislation that affects Floridan's?

I don't understand your question and what you are asking. That DeSantis lawyer is not specific enough about what "woke" means? Or is it that you feel DeSantis (duly elected governor of Florida) should not be allowed to pass legislation that affects Floridan's?
Correct. DeSantis should not be allowed to pass certain legislation that affects the citizens of Florida.

The nature of which legislation is considered such legislation as he is not allowed to pass, is legislation which violates the rights of the folks who have a constitutional right according to the state of Florida and the United States.

It's not all or nothing. He gets some, and ought not get others. There is a structure of laws which is described as being intended to prevent the passage or continuation of unconstitutional legislation, and there is furthermore a set of philosophical principles built on the foundation of the constitutional principle that all are to be treated equally which prescribes how that law ought be shaped.

To pose it as all or nothing is to pose a False Dichotomy.

I'm certainly confused on how you managed to get from Point A to B there.

Correct. DeSantis should not be allowed to pass certain legislation that affects the citizens of Florida.
Then I disagree with your opinion. As would any other person who has any respect for the US Constitution.

The US was originally chartered (especially before Lincoln) for states to enjoy individual sovereignty separate from the federal government. Even if you oppose what DeSantis wants, you should see wisdom that US states pass legislation individually tailored for the local citizens they represent (in this case Florida). Citizens deserving individual representation.... but also allowing good (or bad) legislation to stand for whether it sucks. Because there is no better test demonstrating what really works or not than to actually put it into practice.

The left claims to like democracy but what they pine for is centralized control over everything (they would like Xi Ping to run our country too).

Then I disagree with your opinion. As would any other person who has any respect for the US Constitution.

The US was originally chartered (especially before Lincoln) for states to enjoy individual sovereignty separate from the federal government. Even if you oppose what DeSantis wants, you should see wisdom that US states pass legislation individually tailored for the local citizens they represent (in this case Florida). Citizens deserving individual representation.... but also allowing good (or bad) legislation to stand for whether it sucks. Because there is no better test demonstrating what really works or not than to actually put it into practice.
The US Constitution elucidates rights that individual states cannot violate. So there are laws that state legislatures should not pass and that governors should not sign.

RVonse said:
The left claims to like democracy but what they pine for is centralized control over everything (they would like Xi Ping to run our country too).
Your preferred Presidential candidate ((Mr Trump) is s as an admirer of authoritarian ( which means central control) leaders.

Last edited:

Dude, you are supposed to read the entire post first before replying. Otherwise, it makes people look foolish to respond to something was said in jest, as if it were serious.

1)You believe woke can mean anything conservatives want. "If you would have asked me what "woke" meant I would have said it is the liberal values of progressive enlightenment. And that may not be the original vocabulary but at this point it seems to be what I believe the conservative right thinks it is." Your words.

2)DeSantis is forming legislation that specifically stops woke ideology.

Someone could very easy to come to the conclusion that you support supressing freedom of speech if it is done in the name of stopping wokeness. Especially seeing as going by your definition wokeness can be defined retroactively.

Incidentally, DeSantis is just one example. There are a plethora of Trump supporting politicians who are doing exactly the same thing. So even if you do believe that you support free speech, there really is no doubt how fucking dangerous it is that right wingers have weaponised "wokeness" and are legislating against it despite changing the definition on a case by case basis. Strangely, you call that nuanced, but then accuse the left of authoritarianism. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom