• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why We're Moving Forward with Impeachment

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Why We’re Moving Forward With Impeachment
Our Constitution requires it. Our democracy depends on it.

While many people believe that beginning an impeachment investigation can begin only with a vote of the full House of Representatives, this is not true. Article I authorizes the House Judiciary Committee to begin this process.

As members of the House Judiciary Committee, we understand the gravity of this moment that we find ourselves in. We wake up every morning with the understanding of the oath that binds us as members of Congress, and the trust that our constituents placed in us to uphold that oath. We will move forward with the impeachment process. Our investigation will seriously examine all the evidence as we consider whether to bring articles of impeachment or other remedies under our Article I powers.

Americans need it. We need to see and hear all the evidence laid out systematically and in detail, and without talking heads and traitors muddying the waters.

While many people believe that beginning an impeachment investigation can begin only with a vote of the full House of Representatives, this is not true. Article I authorizes the House Judiciary Committee to begin this process.

As members of the House Judiciary Committee, we understand the gravity of this moment that we find ourselves in. We wake up every morning with the understanding of the oath that binds us as members of Congress, and the trust that our constituents placed in us to uphold that oath. We will move forward with the impeachment process. Our investigation will seriously examine all the evidence as we consider whether to bring articles of impeachment or other remedies under our Article I powers.

Americans need it. We need to see and hear all the evidence laid out systematically and in detail, and without talking heads and traitors muddying the waters.

Thanks for the OP, Floof. This is an area I'd like to see discussed in practical terms. The article tap-dances around the actual questions that have to be deliberated.
Obviously, a slavish obeisance to constitutional responsibility becomes a secondary concern when the very existence of the Nation is at risk from following that path. I do believe the Nation is at risk, should the Cheato regime cheat its way into another 4 years in power. So, while I do favor impeachment, I only see it as a worthy pursuit to the extent that it will enhance rather than diminish the chances of ousting the current corrupt bunch in the executive branch.
So, my question is basically one of timing. I feel like it's time - or maybe past time - to open an impeachment inquiry. Get the courts involved in the release of Grand Jury materials, subpoenaed White House materials, witness subpoenas etc. to the House committees, and hopefully get rulings around the end of 2019. Keep the court battles in the headlines. Assuming some wins in the courts, the resultant materials can stay in the news for weeks or months. The news cycle schedule should become more easily managed by the House committees rather than by Team Trump once they clear the courts. The idea would be to get actual impeachment hearings - the next step after an inquiry - going very close to the election (unless there is some statutory prohibition against that - ?) and keep it going, building to a fever pitch right up to the election. Then impeach the motherfucker while he's a lame duck, or, if he should win, a newly re-elected president. If that's the case, get the question to the Senate in Feb 2021. If Cheato loses the election (and doesn't try to instigate a military takeover) it's a moot point.

Impeaching the motherfucker in the House and allowing the Senate to produce yet another "complete exoneration" claim prior to the election, would be stupid.
I'd like to see the House vote to impeach on the day before the election, if it is voted on at all. But there's no reason not to make as much news/noise as possible about the myriad reasons to impeach, starting now and continuing until Cheato is just a bad memory.

I don't see why Democrats haven't gone forward with impeachment already. Trump is to Clinton what shabs are to sudafed. One is clearly worse than the other. So whilst impeachment won't happen, Trump will be very toxic to anyone currently associated with him once he leaves office.
Also don't forget, republicans have treated former republican presidents and presidential candidates rather poorly in the last two decades. George W was conspicuously absent in the 2008 and 2012 elections. Try and find a Republican say a nice thing about John McCain nowadays and Mittens was dog shit in 2016 (since then he has been promoted to just shit so yay?). The best long term play Democrats can do is make sure the GOP is forever stained with Trump like that fucking curry stain in my rumpus room. "Where were you when we tried to impeach Trump?" gives the Democrats the best free kick for the next 3-4 election cycles.
The only possible way this could backfire is if Trump remains squeaky clean for the rest of his presidency and there are no more sordid discoveries about his past. That's about as likely as me getting a blowjob from a unicorn.

Impeachment now is a bad idea. Suppose the house impeach Trump,He would be acquitted in the Senate.Republicans aren't going to vote to convict him. It need all the Democrats and about 20 rebublicans. Next year is the election Democrats should get a good nominee to defeat him. Finally why if Trump is somehow ousted from office you want Mike Pence. He just as bad as Trump but without the baggage.

Impeachment now is a bad idea. Suppose the house impeach Trump,He would be acquitted in the Senate.Republicans aren't going to vote to convict him. It need all the Democrats and about 20 rebublicans. Next year is the election Democrats should get a good nominee to defeat him. Finally why if Trump is somehow ousted from office you want Mike Pence. He just as bad as Trump but without the baggage.

I don't think the plan is to refer the case to Senate. The plan seems to be to go through the motions to inform the public, but never give Senate the opportunity to shit on it. After the next election (and a possible turnover of Senate), the results of the election can then determine if referral to Senate for a hearing can (or needs to be) done.

What evidence? The Trump Admin is in shutdown mode. No one is testifying anything other than banal details. They are currently defying subpoenas and that is working its way through the courts. Until that is sussed out, any talk of impeachment is hopeless and not going to help. The court cases have to be dealt with, confirming the info or testimony has to be provided, first before we even can suggest impeachment.

What evidence? The Trump Admin is in shutdown mode. No one is testifying anything other than banal details. They are currently defying subpoenas and that is working its way through the courts. Until that is sussed out, any talk of impeachment is hopeless and not going to help. The court cases have to be dealt with, confirming the info or testimony has to be provided, first before we even can suggest impeachment.

"Thank you Nancy, I suppose you're right..."
- The Caucus

I am given to understand (maybe wrongly?) that the courts have an obligation to accelerate their process under conditions of impeachment hearings...

I don't think the plan is to refer the case to Senate. The plan seems to be to go through the motions to inform the public, but never give Senate the opportunity to shit on it. After the next election (and a possible turnover of Senate), the results of the election can then determine if referral to Senate for a hearing can (or needs to be) done.

Instead of divisive process that will energize his supporters , why not just wait until the next election present your case.

Instead of divisive process that will energize his supporters , why not just wait until the next election present your case.

There is no better way to present the case that Bonespurs is a scumbag felon than having the impeachment hearings on Americans television screens daily. The old saying, "If it wasn't shown on TV, it never happened."

Not to mention, his supporters are a minority. Impeachment hearings would be to convince the fence sitters and those that would pay little attention otherwise..

There is no better way to present the case that Bonespurs is a scumbag felon than having the impeachment hearings on Americans television screens daily. The old saying, "If it wasn't shown on TV, it never happened."

Not to mention, his supporters are a minority. Impeachment hearings would be to convince the fence sitters and those that would pay little attention otherwise..

All that would do is reelect him to second term. the fence sitters will feel sorry for him. It will backfire on democratic house members elected from districts Trump won in 2016. Only 107 democrats call for impeachment lt not going to happen unless there wide bipartisan support.

All that would do is reelect him to second term. the fence sitters will feel sorry for him. It will backfire on democratic house members elected from districts Trump won in 2016. Only 107 democrats call for impeachment lt not going to happen unless there wide bipartisan support.

I can't imagine anyone other than a MAGAt feeling sorry for someone as slimy and self-serving as Bonespurs. Really, if you never heard of Trump before and then you heard of all the illegal, dastardly, selfish, cheating things he has done throughout his life, you would have an inkling to feel sorry for him? I don't see it.

All that would do is reelect him to second term. the fence sitters will feel sorry for him.
Well, that'll depend on what the hearings reveal, won't it?

I mean, who feels sorry for a guy whose family used a charity foundation as a piggy bank?

Maybe, if his tax returns show cheating, people might feel anti-irs sympathy, but if he's screwing his base, he's goingbto runa net deficit of sympathy.

It's becoming less likely that Trump will be defeated in 2020, therefore, calls for his impeachment becomes louder.

I can't imagine anyone other than a MAGAt feeling sorry for someone as slimy and self-serving as Bonespurs. Really, if you never heard of Trump before and then you heard of all the illegal, dastardly, selfish, cheating things he has done throughout his life, you would have an inkling to feel sorry for him? I don't see it.
All the scandals slides off his back. Only 100 democratic house members support impeachments not enough for majority . The democrats elected from Districts Trump won will not support it. The Iowa caucus is in five months democrats should focus on getting out by defeating in the election.

All that would do is reelect him to second term. the fence sitters will feel sorry for him.

I mean, who feels sorry for a guy whose family used a charity foundation as a piggy bank?

Maybe, if his tax returns show cheating, people might feel anti-irs sympathy, but if he's screwing his base, he's goingbto runa net deficit of sympathy.
Trump would lie and claim it fake news. We know Trump degrades the presidency. why not make our case in the next election and let the voters decide .

It's becoming less likely that Trump will be defeated in 2020, therefore, calls for his impeachment becomes louder.
why Trump has low approval ratings All the democrats running for office are ahead of him in the polls

why Trump has low approval ratings All the democrats running for office are ahead of him in the polls

Well, polls don't mean much anymore. Republicans don't need a plurality to win. I read a report that made the case that democrats need around a 7 or 8 percent higher vote in order to overtake the republican incredible geographic advantage (The EC). Democrats are far more divided. Republican turnout is much higher. There are many people who personally hate Trump but will vote for him for economic reasons. As the economy continues to go well and the democrats appear less likely to beat Trump, the calls for impeachment will get greater.

Trump would lie and claim it fake news.
Trump lies and claims everything is fake news. No matter what we do. So why do we let him decide what we do?
We know Trump degrades the presidency. why not make our case in the next election and let the voters decide .
Because this is not just about Trump sitting in the big chair. It's about all the other assholes that are supporting him. Holding impeachment hearings about the president not only shines a spotlight on his ass, but also draws the right out into the spotlight. So we can show voters in all the elections that they need to pick people who will hold Trump and the GOP accountable.
So even if Trump slides through the election, maybe we can get enough seats to actually hold him accountable.

But if the White House doesn't follow through with demands from subpoenas, what case is there to show?

Well, polls don't mean much anymore. Republicans don't need a plurality to win. I read a report that made the case that democrats need around a 7 or 8 percent higher vote in order to overtake the republican incredible geographic advantage (The EC). Democrats are far more divided. Republican turnout is much higher. There are many people who personally hate Trump but will vote for him for economic reasons. As the economy continues to go well and the democrats appear less likely to beat Trump, the calls for impeachment will get greater.
The potential defeat of Trump is entirely impossible to predict. He barely won three states that would seem much harder to win with strong Democrat turnout. The big unknown is that the 4+ million Johnson votes in 2016 go to. Trump won PA by 44k votes. Johnson received 146k. Is that a shield for Trump, or does Trump get obliterated by high Democrat turnout? We still don't even know what shape Trump will be in by '20.

Back
Top Bottom