• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why would a reasonable person believe in God?

What does it mean to be a reasonable person? Someone who agrees with your personal sensibilities?

For some individuals choosing religion can be a reasoned rational choice.

We associate intelligence with those who can make good arguments. Our faculty of reason evolved not to help us solve problems but to help us advance socially. Lots of rationale people are fundamentalist Christians. Some creationists have a Ph.D. in a scientific field from a credible institution. Even non Christians can be irrational, too. Linus Pauling won two Nobel Prizes, one in Chemistry and the other in Peace. Yet he believed that large amounts of Vitamin C prevented cancer, despite all evidence to the contrary. He even died of cancer, claiming to the end that he would’ve gotten it earlier had he not ingested so much Vitamin C. Why does anyone fail to recognize their own irrational thinking? We just can’t.

My counter point is always that us humans are decdesly not rational. We tend to act against our own interests.

Instead of quoting scripture or philosophy today people quote fictional lines from movies and actors. Actors are elvated to sources of wisdom, as are musicians and entertainers.

My counter point is always that us humans are decdesly not rational. We tend to act against our own interests.

Instead of quoting scripture or philosophy today people quote fictional lines from movies and actors. Actors are elvated to sources of wisdom, as are musicians and entertainers.
I say we blast off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

We associate intelligence with those who can make good arguments. Our faculty of reason evolved not to help us solve problems but to help us advance socially. Lots of rationale people are fundamentalist Christians. Some creationists have a Ph.D. in a scientific field from a credible institution. Even non Christians can be irrational, too. Linus Pauling won two Nobel Prizes, one in Chemistry and the other in Peace. Yet he believed that large amounts of Vitamin C prevented cancer, despite all evidence to the contrary. He even died of cancer, claiming to the end that he would’ve gotten it earlier had he not ingested so much Vitamin C. Why does anyone fail to recognize their own irrational thinking? We just can’t.

This is the pure Enlightenment and the cry of the atheist secularists and scientistic. The kind of people who led us to the French revolution, communism, fascism and the holocaust. It ignores basic truths about human thinking.

Our rational mind isn't in charge. Your feelings are. We use our thoughts to rationalise what we feel is right. Feelings aren't fundamentally irrational or illogical. They have a perfectly fine logic to them. It's just different than what would benefit us long term. Everybody is at heart a scared little child in constant need of reassurance. We're constantly overwhelmed (to a lesser or greater extent) by the crushing realities of life and impending doom of everything we hold dear. This is what Nietzsche was talking about when he said "when you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back".

Unless we find a way to manage our emotions we're not going to be able to use our rational faculties for anything useful. And we won't be listened to.

In order to function at all we need to manage our emotions. Intelligent people are aware of this. Intelligent people are also aware of cognitive biases and human limitations. Intelligent people pay attention to the emotional states of the pople they are talking with and adapt how and what they're saying to their audience. You've completely extracted this from your defintion of intelligence.

Humans are a social species. It's deeply hardwired into us and if we try to ignore it then nobody cares what we have to say.

What religions do correctly is that they talk to us, not as if we are perfectly rational beings, but as scared little children in need of stability and reassurance. That's why religions aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLD
I say we blast off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure
If you've got the kind of money and connections that would qualify you as "we", in that sentence, I'll be your friend.
Tom

I think religion and the belief of God comes from two things...

Mostly the fear of death. What happens if anything after death? Many people fear death even if they deny it. I fear death. I cant imagine myself not existing after existing. All religions provide an answer to what happens after physical death, to either be reincarnated as something else, to going to Heaven (or Hell) or into another state of consciousness. It provides some measure of comfort to those old or terminally ill. This is not the end, I am going somewhere else to start a new life. It is very difficult to grasp the concept of non-existance.

Second, just a belief that there is a Supreme Being who created everything and we humans here need to please the Supreme Being. Harkens to the first paragraph of life after death and going somewhere.

I believe in that something created everything. I dont believe it happened by chance or accident. I keep my views to myself because they are my personal beliefs on the subject and everyone has an opinion. This is why under my name I chose "agnostic" which means to me not believing in a God from faith, but not closing the door on the fact that a being or a host of beings exist or existed who made everything.
I think what keeps the idea of God alive is that we intuitively know that there is some basis for reality because there is a reality. Where we get into trouble is when we personify that basis and mold it into something that wants to save us from our troubles.

This is the pure Enlightenment and the cry of the atheist secularists and scientistic.
It's great, isn't it?
The kind of people who led us to the French revolution, communism, fascism ...
They also led us to major scientific and technological advances including computers and the internet. You forgot that fact. You wouldn't have been able to post that if it weren't for those atheists.
...and the holocaust.
Actually hatred for Jews has its roots in belief in the Christian God.
It ignores basic truths about human thinking.
Well some human thinking evidently involves fear mongering against anybody who openly doubts some pet dogma.

We are feces flinging screeching chimps with nuclear weapons.

We are feces flinging screeching chimps with nuclear weapons.

I say we blast off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I made a bit of a snarky comment in response. Partly to cover up what I really meant.
Which was "Nuke humans before we metastasize like cancer and spread across the galaxy, or beyond, with our horribly destructive tendencies. We cannot deal with them, obviously. Inflicting ourselves on the rest of the universe should be prevented.
Tom

This is the pure Enlightenment and the cry of the atheist secularists and scientistic.
It's great, isn't it?

Yes, it's a powerful tool. Powerful tools can be used for good and evil. I'm not saying religious people are brimming with wisdom and know what they're doing, while secularists aren't. I think religions are a product of memetic evolution. They exist because, over time, religious societies are more stable and do less crazy shit. And that's why our societies tend to drift towards religiousity.

The kind of people who led us to the French revolution, communism, fascism ...
They also led us to major scientific and technological advances including computers and the internet. You forgot that fact. You wouldn't have been able to post that if it weren't for those atheists.

Why do we need to chose? Why can't we have both? The conflict between religion and science was invented by religious people. If you dismiss the wisdom of religion, then why do you think that this assertion makes sense?

Just to be clear. I reject Stephen Jay Gould's, non-overlapping magisteria. Gould is a secularists and formulated the religious project in scientific terms. As if it's possible to conduct experiments to figure out what God wants.

I don't think religion is a science. I don't think religious beliefs are about epistemology or understanding what is true. The magisteria of religion is complete fantasy. But that doesn't make it worthless. Religious "beliefs" exists to create tribes. They are shared narratives. It's good if they are paradoxical and make no rational sense. Because their point isn't to explain the world. The only thing they explain is human psychology and how to satisfy basic and shared human psychological brain farts. And since humans are primarily emotionally driven creatures, that makes religion important.

...and the holocaust.
Actually hatred for Jews has its roots in belief in the Christian God.

That doesn't give science and scientism a free pass. I think the fundamental divide between religion and science is this, religions state that the greatest mysteries of life are unknowable, while science says they're knowable. I know that followers of either team behave in the exact opposite way.

I think Dan Harmon formulated it best. "Religions are about our relationship with the unknown". It's a way to manage not knowing what will happen in the future or why anything we do matters. Humans are fundamentrally control freaks. We are pattern seeking and are desperate to know. Religions put a lid on that impulse. They create various myths and stories, which essentially tells the faithful that someone or something else is on top of this, so you can stop worrying.

Secularism on the other hand leads to us continually thinking we have it all figured out. It makes us arrogant and ignore catastrophical results, because that just can't happen. It pushes society towards the extreme.

And just to be very very clear here, religion is dead today. In the west it died at the end of the 19'th century as secular education spread. Today even religious people think about God is scientific terms. Hence Gould's statement. Evangelical Christianity is the apex of this perverse blend of religion coupled with scientific assureadness. Today religion is like a dodgy break on an extremely fancy new car.

Yes, science and secularism has made us rich. The world is materially better off than it's ever been. But it's also materialistic. The religion of our age is consumerism. Almost the entire market today is about trading things nobody needs. Capitalism has created a high information super stressed society and we buy stuff to manage the stress.

One of the smartest people I know has thrown all chairs out of his home, so he has to sit on the floor. He's also self-made rich btw. He does yoga everyday. He has enough money to never have to work again. Why does he do this? It's to remind himself that he doesn't need all the shit he keeps buying. He's on purpose removed some comforts from his home, simply as this reminder. That's religion to me. It's a set of psychological tools to remind us to sometimes stop obsessing about that thing we really really desire, and accept that things don't always work out the way you thought it would.

It ignores basic truths about human thinking.
Well some human thinking evidently involves fear mongering against anybody who openly doubts some pet dogma.

The question is whether religion makes this impulse better or worse. I'm going with better.

I also want to make it clear that I think Christianity (and Islam) are the worst religions we've ever devised. They do the job. But I think we can do a lot better than that. Let's avoid falling into the trap of black-and-white dichotomies. I see this as shades of grey. I see zero conflict between science and religion.

“I believe in God, I just spell it n-a-t-u-r-e.” Frank Lloyd Wright. There are rationale ways to believe in a universal creator. In truth, I do think we all worship the same god, we just have different spellings and rituals. Who cares who’s right, and who can possibly know?

My ritual is to study the laws and history of the creator, and to explore that creation as much as I can. I don’t think that’s irrational in the slightest.

“I believe in God, I just spell it n-a-t-u-r-e.” Frank Lloyd Wright. There are rationale ways to believe in a universal creator. In truth, I do think we all worship the same god, we just have different spellings and rituals. Who cares who’s right, and who can possibly know?

My ritual is to study the laws and history of the creator, and to explore that creation as much as I can. I don’t think that’s irrational in the slightest.
Totally this.

I believe in God as "The Ground of Being", the "Original Creator". What makes me different from most theists is that I don't attribute human characteristics to It. Not even sentience, much less a prurient interest in my sex life.

Most religious folks around me have a God image resembling a human king with superpowers. My image of God is more resembling gravity. Gravity makes things inexplicably happen, but doesn't know or care about any of it. And I see science as human's best efforts to know and understand God. The real God, the God that matters, rather than the character type from old fiction.
Tom

We're constantly overwhelmed (to a lesser or greater extent) by the crushing realities of life and impending doom of everything we hold dear. This is what Nietzsche was talking about when he said "when you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back".
And what was the state of scientific knowledge when he said that? I think we can understand and forgive his fear of the "abyss" based on his scientific ignorance relative to ours.

Last edited:
We're constantly overwhelmed (to a lesser or greater extent) by the crushing realities of life and impending doom of everything we hold dear. This is what Nietzsche was talking about when he said "when you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back".
And what was the state of scientific knowledge when he said that? I think we can understand and forgive his fear of the "abyss" based on his ignorance relative to ours.
Nietzsche: "He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

This aphorism is about how you might lose your hero status in fighting off monsters, if you take on the monstrous qualities yourself.

The sentence about an abyss is basically saying that you might lose your sense of meaning while struggling with the question of meaning.

Science can't resolve it. There'll always be ignorance, and people fighting "monsters", and various sorts of "abysses" we're trying to avoid.

The sentence about an abyss is basically saying that you might lose your sense of meaning while struggling with the question of meaning.

Science can't resolve it. There'll always be ignorance, and people fighting "monsters", and various sorts of "abysses" we're trying to avoid.
We are the abyss and the abyss is us, at least scientifically speaking. That's getting pretty artistic. Maybe if Nietzsche were living today with today's scientific discoveries he would have an entirely different take on his own words.

Maybe not, but it is a massive blasphemous insult to all the religions that believe in gods that are above and separate from nature, and it would have gotten Mr Lloyd Wright burned as a heretic for most of history.

It's just passive aggressive atheism - what you say when you think believers in a real God are idiots, but don't want to directly say so.

Back
Top Bottom