• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why YEC can seem plausible

The indisputable creator of the universe... the personal god... but there is no sign of it (real signs)... you can't ask anything of it... when it mattered the most, when we were tearing the Earth apart in WWII, we heard, saw nothing... and if you have a problem with that, you are the one being unreasonable.

You (plural) ask these things of a theists but you don't take note of the theology...

God loves us, just doesn't care to help us.

If you think of a god as a very popular superstition it all makes sense. And then all the wacky stuff like YEC makes sense too, not that it's defensible, only that people find an attachment to it.

One lousy try and God gave up, eh? He was like, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!" or something like that.

It gets sorted out in the end...

Would you want to live with God in His Kingdom? Some people wouldn't like the idea if it were true. That's what its all about.

What god. What's s/he/it like?
What Kingdom. What's it like?
Bonus question: how do you know what it's like?

I know what you mean, been there myself, however things have progressed a little. The End of Days (please humour me) doesn't begin untill all four corners of the earth has been preached to. It looks like just a few nations left perhaps. ..

Which ones are the earth corner nations?

I forgot, in the NT it says go out and convert others.

Which is so weird, because it seems to say, "without any evidence." Turning into a perfect recipe for false beliefs. Errors in conviction, errors in transmission, errors in understanding. And an eternal punishment if you get it wrong.

It's all so implausible that a god would do that.
Er, implausible that a benevolent god would do that.

One lousy try and God gave up, eh? He was like, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!" or something like that.

It gets sorted out in the end...

Would you want to live with God in His Kingdom? Some people wouldn't like the idea if it were true. That's what its all about.

What god. What's s/he/it like?
What Kingdom. What's it like?
Bonus question: how do you know what it's like?

God is as according to scripture, or personal experiences for some.

Kingndom is the new Earth. I assume lots of green grass and blue mountains and everyone is healthy.

As according to the scriptures.

Would YOU want to live there, if it were true?

I know what you mean, been there myself, however things have progressed a little. The End of Days (please humour me) doesn't begin untill all four corners of the earth has been preached to. It looks like just a few nations left perhaps. ..

The furthest reach I assume.

.......The End of Days (please humour me) doesn't begin untill all four corners of the earth has been preached to.....
That is yet another verse that implies the earth is flat... see post #12 and #13

As far as I know, there are no verses that are against a flat earth interpretation.

Every map I have seen has the Pacific Ocean in all four corners... .the thing is, we learned long ago that the Earth is not flat. It's a cube. So there are actually 8 corners, not 4.

Every map I have seen has the Pacific Ocean in all four corners... .the thing is, we learned long ago that the Earth is not flat. It's a cube. So there are actually 8 corners, not 4.
Indeed. "The wisest man on earth," Gene Ray (he will be missed), tried for years to explain this to the world and he was only mocked. But, thankfully, his site, timecube.com lives on in a new iteration:
https://timecube.2enp.com/

Why does a three dimensional object need have corners? Seems to me that to have corners two dimensions need be recognized as antecedent to three dimensional existence. We can down scale three to two for processing because we have two eyes and two ears but we reconstruct two to three in the brain for precept of existence within which we navigate.

I forgot, in the NT it says go out and convert others.

Which is so weird, because it seems to say, "without any evidence." Turning into a perfect recipe for false beliefs. Errors in conviction, errors in transmission, errors in understanding. And an eternal punishment if you get it wrong.

It's all so implausible that a god would do that.
Er, implausible that a benevolent god would do that.

It might just be a matter of observation. In my experience it seems that some people are naturally gifted with good observational skills. A person with an affinity for woo, however, is going to observe what their presumptions and comfort zone want to see, not what is there. They're not observing evidence and then coming to a conclusion about what they see. Rather, they are finding reinforcement for their biases because they are unable to put observation before conclusion. It's as good as their brain will ever get on the issue, purely a case of natural selection.

In my experience it seems that some people are naturally gifted with good observational skills. A person with an affinity for woo, however, is going to observe what their presumptions and comfort zone want to see, not what is there.
A hot redhead drove me across Charleston to a party one day. We talked the entire way, and i distinctly remembered enjoying the red lights we stopped at, because that meant more time alone with her. I wasn't formally counting the reds, but we hit quite a few. Small yay.
At the party, she started talking to a friend just inside the door. They were both practicing Positive Visualisation, and my ride was reporting great success.
Seems she had visualized hitting all green lights on the drive over, the ride we had just taken, "And we hit almost exclusively green lights! Maybe two red!"

Uh......huh.....

In my experience it seems that some people are naturally gifted with good observational skills. A person with an affinity for woo, however, is going to observe what their presumptions and comfort zone want to see, not what is there.
A hot redhead drove me across Charleston to a party one day. We talked the entire way, and i distinctly remembered enjoying the red lights we stopped at, because that meant more time alone with her. I wasn't formally counting the reds, but we hit quite a few. Small yay.
At the party, she started talking to a friend just inside the door. They were both practicing Positive Visualisation, and my ride was reporting great success.
Seems she had visualized hitting all green lights on the drive over, the ride we had just taken, "And we hit almost exclusively green lights! Maybe two red!"

Uh......huh.....

We've pretty much all dated and taken a few rides with Amy G. Dala. For the most part I enjoyed the hell out of mine and never let her get me into too much trouble. But the experiences were most pleasant.

For those who lack scince it can seem very logical.

Man creates things so who made the Earth? A logical question.

For those who lack scince it can seem very logical.
Here they're talking about "science" even if it is misguided...

https://answersingenesis.org/search/?refinement=&language=en&q=science
".....There are two different kinds of science: observational and historical. Historical science deals with the past and is not directly testable or observable, so it must be interpreted according to your worldview...."

Man creates things so who made the Earth? A logical question.
Well if you trust the Bible then it says God did....

Lacking logical-sense can eroneously produce all sorts of theoretical science beliefs.
can you name three examples? Where a hypothesis made it all the way to theory, and you can show the LOGIC errors that indicate it's in error?

Because i do not think you can. Rather, i suspect that you know of later scientific discoveries that disprove earlier scientific understanding, making some of those beliefs look foolish now, from our perspective, from our understanding.
I doubt you can show how a contemporary could have used logic at the time, rather than future science.

Lacking logical-sense can eroneously produce all sorts of theoretical science beliefs.
can you name three examples? Where a hypothesis made it all the way to theory, and you can show the LOGIC errors that indicate it's in error?

Because i do not think you can. Rather, i suspect that you know of later scientific discoveries that disprove earlier scientific understanding, making some of those beliefs look foolish now, from our perspective, from our understanding.
I doubt you can show how a contemporary could have used logic at the time, rather than future science.

I was talking about people who take the mere theory ...a current one (among 10 similar alternative variations) for example, and pretend that it disproves the possibility of there being God. The discussions regarding this ...exists on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom