• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will corporate power evvvveeeeerrrrrrr be reined in?

masterpeastheater

Basic Beliefs
agnostic leaning atheist
I ask from the American context but the question does have ramifications globally as well. So how and when will it get done short of the extinction of the human race or at least the transformation of the US to look like a whiter version of Haiti?

I ask from the American context but the question does have ramifications globally as well. So how and when will it get done short of the extinction of the human race or at least the transformation of the US to look like a whiter version of Haiti?

How are corporations causing the extinction of the human race? What rights would you take away from a corporation?

How are corporations causing the extinction of the human race? What rights would you take away from a corporation?

https://collapseofindustrialcivilization.com/

The company that I work for supports the environment. It loves the environment. Could it possibly be that companies take on the beliefs of their owners/workers?

The right to breath.

The right to live.

It's going to be harder to live in the world being created by corporate power with it's desire to consume resources as fast as possible and pollute to the greatest extent possible.

Corporate power is a power that no human presently can stop. It controls governments. It controls the US government. It controls the media and what messages appear in it.

Something the witless have no problem with.

No problem with unchecked human power. No, never been a problem.

The company that I work for supports the environment. It loves the environment. Could it possibly be that companies take on the beliefs of their owners/workers?

Is your company using electricity. Is it using cars and flying around? Is it using plastic containers?

It is polluting? Is it self-sustaining without adding to pollution?

If it claims it loves the environment usually that is just a sales pitch. A marketing niche, nothing more.

The right to breath.

The right to live.

It's going to be harder to live in the world being created by corporate power with it's desire to consume resources as fast as possible and pollute to the greatest extent possible.

Corporate power is a power that no human presently can stop. It controls governments. It controls the US government. It controls the media and what messages appear in it.

It was much much worse in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And due to that crap, the Government slowly got involved. Government (OSHA) has helped dramatically lower work place accidents and deaths. Oddly, it is the US Governments insistence to do otherwise that keeps employment attached to health care, not corporations themselves.

Yes, Wall Street destroyed the economy between the late 90's and late 00's. Yes, Wells Fargo betrayed the trust of their customers... and no one went to jail. There are power issues, indeed. Our entire retirement set up is at the whim of what a few thousand investors feel. But it was much much worse.

Money talks. To the extent that large corporations are predicated on monetary profit (quelle surprise) they do, I think, contribute massively to the problems. But which is causing more damage, the (comparatively small number of) people in corporations wielding much more power (per person) than the person in the street, or the (large numbers of) people in the street, collectively? I don't know the answer to that question, but even if there's a difference, it's sort of irrelevant, because the fact is it's both. It's nearly everyone (including me). And as you say, if and when the collective demand for change is strong enough societally, business and perhaps especially big business, will start to reflect that more and more, and there will be more companies like yours.

My guess is that when the shit starts to hit the fan, correction when everyone agrees that the shit is already hitting the fan, the hooman race will wake up and significant things will be done about it. Hopefully it won't be too late.

The right to breath.

The right to live.

It was much much worse in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And due to that crap, the Government slowly got involved. Government (OSHA) has helped dramatically lower work place accidents and deaths. Oddly, it is the US Governments insistence to do otherwise that keeps employment attached to health care, not corporations themselves.

Yes, Wall Street destroyed the economy between the late 90's and late 00's. Yes, Wells Fargo betrayed the trust of their customers... and no one went to jail. There are power issues, indeed. Our entire retirement set up is at the whim of what a few thousand investors feel. But it was much much worse.

Corporations in the past didn’t employ armies of lobbyists to control the outcome of every vote in Congress. That’s how the new deal got through Congress. That can’t happen today. Citizens united destroyed the last vestige of accountability we had over corporations. It’s far, far worse today than in the past. The Great Recession proved it. They got bailed out by Congress, even keeping their bonuses, whereas the rest of us got screwed. Corporate power is the biggest problem in the country today. But have no fear. An economic apocalypse is coming. The increase in income inequality is getting worse and worse and is unsustainable. When that happens, maybe, just maybe, we’ll have a chance to rein it in. Or elect another Trump.

SLD

One of the weaknesses (in this sense) of out and out capitalism is that it arguably does not cater enough (and has not in the past catered) for the long-term planning of priorities needed in this case. Nor does the current political process (and not just in the USA). Short term is king/queen, and has been ever since this problem was flagged up at least 50 years ago.

The right to breath.

The right to live.

It was much much worse in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Yes, because the system is a system of oppression. It creates an environment of oppression. Not everybody is oppressed but most are.

What saved us from capitalism were unions. They gave us safe working conditions and at least decent pay and benefits, nothing like the masters enjoy however.

Any good that exists within capitalism for most people exists because union members died fighting for it.

US masters were unusually violent compared to the civilized world.

The right to breath.

The right to live.

Corporations in the past didn’t employ armies of lobbyists to control the outcome of every vote in Congress. That’s how the new deal got through Congress. That can’t happen today. Citizens united destroyed the last vestige of accountability we had over corporations. It’s far, far worse today than in the past. The Great Recession proved it. They got bailed out by Congress, even keeping their bonuses, whereas the rest of us got screwed. Corporate power is the biggest problem in the country today. But have no fear. An economic apocalypse is coming. The increase in income inequality is getting worse and worse and is unsustainable. When that happens, maybe, just maybe, we’ll have a chance to rein it in. Or elect another Trump.

SLD

Some humans think a minority with unchecked power is a good thing.

We call them despots or suckers.

Money talks. To the extent that large corporations are predicated on monetary profit (quelle surprise) they do, I think, contribute massively to the problems. But which is causing more damage, the (comparatively small number of) people in corporations wielding much more power (per person) than the person in the street, or the (large numbers of) people in the street, collectively? I don't know the answer to that question, but even if there's a difference, it's sort of irrelevant, because the fact is it's both. It's nearly everyone (including me). And as you say, if and when the collective demand for change is strong enough societally, business and perhaps especially big business, will start to reflect that more and more, and there will be more companies like yours.

My guess is that when the shit starts to hit the fan, correction when everyone agrees that the shit is already hitting the fan, the hooman race will wake up and significant things will be done about it. Hopefully it won't be too late.

My problem with this thread is that it isn't corporations that are destroying our environment. Corporations are just the scapegoat. The problem is us. People are the problem. If you are concerned about the environment, don't blame scapegoats, do something about it. Plant trees. Vote against politicans who are anti environment. recycle. organize. Promote science education. pick up trash on the beach. Promote awareness. Vote. Get involved. The current political class that controls the US is the most anti environment government in our history. Do something about it. Vote. Make your vote count.

What was the US terrorist attack of Iraq in 2003?

A corporate war to feed the military industrial complex.

Corporations are not our friends.

The corporate mentality is not safe for humans.

...The problem is us. People are the problem....

The problem is a minority of very greedy people have too much power.

And the average person has none.

My vote is negated by some white supremacist or Christian fundamentalist or gun nut because of the corporate influence that allows something like the current two parties to exist.

Both parties are now controlled by corporate interests.

That was Bill Clinton's contribution to America.

He sold the principles of the Democratic party for self gain.

My problem with this thread is that it isn't corporations that are destroying our environment. Corporations are just the scapegoat. The problem is us. People are the problem. If you are concerned about the environment, don't blame scapegoats, do something about it. Plant trees. Vote against politicans who are anti environment. recycle. organize. Promote science education. pick up trash on the beach. Promote awareness. Vote. Get involved. The current political class that controls the US is the most anti environment government in our history. Do something about it. Vote. Make your vote count.

Sure. But I would still cite corporate power too. So they are not just the scapegoat. Imo.

What powers, exactly, are corporate power?

The oil and natural gas corporations, the huge banks, the military industrial complex, the weapons manufacturers and corporate mercenaries.

They control the game we all must play.

No money for a decent health insurance system?

Where did it go?

A terrorist attack and decade long occupation of the Iraqi people.

Endless war in Afghanistan and other parts of the world.

I'm tempted to assume that's not necessarily a serious question. Either that or you're 9 years old.

That's like a 4 year old's response.

That seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me. Asking people to clarifying their position is the sort of thing that happens on forums that have adult discussion instead of vague emotional ranting and juvenile name-calling.

eta: and incoherent babbling.

Back
Top Bottom