• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Liz Cheney Run a Third Party Race to Stop Trump?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
She’s vowed to do whatever it takes to stop Trump. She’s not announced yet, but has explicitly refused to rule it out.

But would it work? Could she siphon off enough Republican votes to stop Trump? she might only need to get a handful in,ey swing states to turn them to Biden.

I personally think she should. I know many conservatives who would definitely vote for her. So many utterly abhor Trump, but feel that they can’t vote for Biden. With that alternative it would make a significant dent in Trump’s vote count. It would be great if she actually siphoned something like 10-20% of the Republican votes! Trump could not possibly claim fraud, he’d just blame her. Probably he’d say that he should get all of her votes!

Crazy to think a stalwart Republican like Cheney has almost no shot at winning any conservative votes in 2024 if she ran.

If she did it would up the ante on Orange Hitler and make the soap opera a lot more interesting. She would certainly take more votes away from Orange than from Joe. I'd love to see her do it. Quite a few Trumper heads would explode for sure.

We're not getting Joe out of there so it would be nice if she did just as an assurance. In the meantime, saying she might can only help sales of her book that came out a couple weeks back. So, a win either way for Liz.

US political history shows that successful third parties are formed by a schism in a mainline party. This means the organizational structure remains intact. Single issue or narrow focus third(fourth and fifth) parties have always been part of US politics, but none have ever accomplished more than to tilt an election to the more moderate candidate. I don't know anyone who is a registered Anti-Masonic Party voter.

She’s vowed to do whatever it takes to stop Trump. She’s not announced yet, but has explicitly refused to rule it out.
What I'd really like is for her to declare and get into the debates and rallies and such.
It's easy for Trumpistas to dismiss the opinions of wild eyed liberals like Biden. Cheney, not so much.
Tom

What I'd really like is for her to declare and get into the debates and rallies and such.
It's easy for Trumpistas to dismiss the opinions of wild eyed liberals like Biden. Cheney, not so much.
Tom
One would have thought that about Christie too. But they both have scarlet letters engraved on their foreheads.

I don't think she'd take much support from Trump.

Anyone who'd vote for her would simply not vote at all if the choice were Trump/Biden.

She would certainly take more votes away from Orange than from Joe.
What is your basis for this? Some credible people who do this for a living have said the opposite.
Isn't she in the John Bolton camp? Lots of people who used to suck a pair of orange balls have decided to suck otherwise. I haven't seen any polls. You could be right that it would hurt Biden more. If that's the case she needs different tactics to help make sure that Orange loses.

US political history shows that successful third parties are formed by a schism in a mainline party. This means the organizational structure remains intact. Single issue or narrow focus third(fourth and fifth) parties have always been part of US politics, but none have ever accomplished more than to tilt an election to the more moderate candidate. I don't know anyone who is a registered Anti-Masonic Party voter.

The point isn't for her win. She knows it's a losing proposition. The point is to siphon away enough votes in key states that Trump doesn't win.

I don't see many, if any, democrats voting for her. I think the argument that she would siphon more votes away from Biden is absurd on its face. One would have to be an utterly clueless Biden supporter to vote for her. She is undeniably a very conservative individual. It is conservatives who would support her, not Biden types.

Furthermore, hoping that the conservatives who despise Trump, simply won't show up is also a pipe dream. They'll show up. They'll vote. They'll hold their noses and vote for this dickweed because they don't see any other option other than Biden, and he's just a daggum liberal. I've heard it down here from many, many conservatives who lament that they don't have an alternative. Granted, she wouldn't switch Alabama. But she might help see that Pennsylvania's or Georgia's electoral votes don't go to Trump.

Nor can Cheney simply join the Republican party's primaries. That would definitely not work. She needs to mount a credible but independent challenge to Trump - maybe even garner enough support to get on the debate stage as Ross Perot did.

I think she's just waiting to see if Trump does get the nomination. I think that today's Supreme Court ruling though has sealed the deal for Trump's nomination to proceed forward. No way will there be a trial now. The Supreme Court has his back - the bastards. They'll eventually rule against him, but it will be June of 2025 before they do that, by which time it will be moot.

I don't see many, if any, democrats voting for her. I think the argument that she would siphon more votes away from Biden is absurd on its face. One would have to be an utterly clueless Biden supporter to vote for her. She is undeniably a very conservative individual. It is conservatives who would support her, not Biden types.

I think it’s that Liz would get the “never trumper” republicans who would have picked the lesser of two evils (Biden) but now can make a “statement vote” for Cheney.

Crazy to think a stalwart Republican like Cheney has almost no shot at winning any conservative votes in 2024 if she ran.
I suspect she'd get most of the conservative votes. They're just not a lot of conservative voters these days. Voting for Grown Up Joffrey is a literal lifestyle choice.

Back
Top Bottom