• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will the DNC cancel the debate?

I think Biden should want to do the debate, it will be a chance to start winning over Sanders's supporters, if he plays it right.

I think Biden should want to do the debate, it will be a chance to start winning over Sanders's supporters, if he plays it right.

It is. The real question is whether Biden will show whether he is ACTUALLY capable of compromise. Bernie is placing out some really low hanging fruit. If he can't reach out for this olive branch, he would be revealing that he isn't actually interested in compromise, merely capitulation to the republicans.

It is. The real question is whether Biden will show whether he is ACTUALLY capable of compromise. Bernie is placing out some really low hanging fruit. If he can't reach out for this olive branch, he would be revealing that he isn't actually interested in compromise, merely capitulation to the republicans.

You mean, like this stuff?

"Sanders, an independent, pushed for free public college and forgiveness for student loan debt. Today, Biden’s higher-education plan calls for tuition-free community college and a simplified, more generous income-based student loan repayment program. Sanders, along with Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), turned Social Security expansion into a mainstream issue. Now Biden, who proposed Social Security cutbacks as a senator, wants to increase benefits. Sanders has been the fiercest champion of Medicare-for-all. And while Biden most certainly does not support Medicare-for-all, he is pushing for a public option and more financial support for people purchasing insurance through the Affordable Care Act exchanges. The Democratic Party of 2020 is not the Democratic Party of 2016. It leans more to the left in many significant ways."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/12/bernie-sanders-has-won-more-than-you-think/

You mean, like this stuff?

"Sanders, an independent, pushed for free public college and forgiveness for student loan debt. Today, Biden’s higher-education plan calls for tuition-free community college and a simplified, more generous income-based student loan repayment program. Sanders, along with Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), turned Social Security expansion into a mainstream issue. Now Biden, who proposed Social Security cutbacks as a senator, wants to increase benefits. Sanders has been the fiercest champion of Medicare-for-all. And while Biden most certainly does not support Medicare-for-all, he is pushing for a public option and more financial support for people purchasing insurance through the Affordable Care Act exchanges. The Democratic Party of 2020 is not the Democratic Party of 2016. It leans more to the left in many significant ways."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/12/bernie-sanders-has-won-more-than-you-think/

This is the kind of thing that he has to address during the debate. He has to describe his policies and say why they are superior. It ought not be reduced to him threatening Bernie or calling him a lying pony faced dog whatever. Then later on he won't be able to back out of what he said easily...because that's what is really needed...

A center-left candidate with center-left policies who can be held there with some flexibility. Instead, what inevitably has happened is that the dem candidate has mimicked progressive policies in the primaries with slogans, platitudes and not quite being on the record enough and then they've moved rightward in the general election. We need to keep pressure on. Not just me, not just Bernie bros, YOU and other Democrats need to keep pressure on the candidate (Biden). Because Biden has a history of moving right with the times. He's called himself a conservative on occasion, not merely a moderate. Even when he called himself a liberal after the civil rights movement he fucked up majorly on busing.

I think if we want to make any progress at all, we should be more concerned about who controls Congress. Unless the Dems control Congress, nothing will change.

I think if we want to make any progress at all, we should be more concerned about who controls Congress. Unless the Dems control Congress, nothing will change.

The Supreme Court and other judgeships are very important too.

NEWS FLASH!
The debate has been cancelled and a Trump-Bashing scheduled in its place

He's closer on policy to what exit polls show people support. People literally are walking into polling places, and voting in the primary for the option that doesn't support their policy positions over the one who does. I can only assume this is because they don't actually know who supports what policies.

Some of them are saying "even though I like A more than B, I want Trump to lose and it looks like B has a better chance of that. Better to win with B than lose with A."

He's closer on policy to what exit polls show people support. People literally are walking into polling places, and voting in the primary for the option that doesn't support their policy positions over the one who does. I can only assume this is because they don't actually know who supports what policies.

Some of them are saying "even though I like A more than B, I want Trump to lose and it looks like B has a better chance of that. Better to win with B than lose with A."

Better a half-rotten head of cabbage than a malevolent kleptocrat.

Biden supporters online are shouting down others that Bernie needs to quit.

Senator Clyburn said the DNC should shut the primary down.

Biden seems to have a 50% chance of screwing up what he says, to include physically threatening people at worst and funny flubs at best.

So, will the DNC cancel the debate?

Now that the debate has taken place, can you point out the 50% of what Biden said last night that was screwed up?

Watched the entire debate. Was very impressed with the mods' questioning and the quality of the answers from both Biden and Sanders. They were both at the top of their game. I must say that I think Biden has the nomination in the bag. He really surprized me not getting all flustered like he usually does. He was totally on message. So was Bernie. Distinct differences were brought to the fore on each one's political philosophy. I think either of them could hold their own in a one on one against Trump, especially if it's still going to take place in front of a theater of emply seats as this one was. I think Trump needs the audience to feed his ego and to distract the moderators. They should really eliminate the audience from all future debates. Anyway, although I'm a Bernie guy and don't completely trust Biden, it could be the case that Biden has the best chance of beating Trump and even convincing some never-Trump Republicans to not simply decline to vote but to actually vote for Biden in order to restore some desperately needed sanity. Biden announcing his promise to pick a women for VP was pure brilliance, but who that is could make a big difference. From where I sit (out on a limb as usual) I think Tuesday's primaries will sink Sanders' chances. If that becomes obvious my hope is that he'll bow out quickly and voice strong support for Biden by reinforcing the idea that Trump must be defeated and it's the patriotic thing to do. That should get the Bernie bros on board as well as maybe bringing in some never-Trumpers. Although my heart bleeds for him I think it would be most honorable thing to do legacy-wise.

I agree that the audiences need to go. It’s not a sporting event. People watching need to be able to evaluate what the candidates say without a cheering section.

I think Biden also benefited from the lack of a free-for-all environment caused by the number of candidates.

Watched the entire debate. Was very impressed with the mods' questioning and the quality of the answers from both Biden and Sanders. They were both at the top of their game. I must say that I think Biden has the nomination in the bag. He really surprized me not getting all flustered like he usually does. He was totally on message. So was Bernie. Distinct differences were brought to the fore on each one's political philosophy. I think either of them could hold their own in a one on one against Trump, especially if it's still going to take place in front of a theater of emply seats as this one was. I think Trump needs the audience to feed his ego and to distract the moderators. They should really eliminate the audience from all future debates. Anyway, although I'm a Bernie guy and don't completely trust Biden, it could be the case that Biden has the best chance of beating Trump and even convincing some never-Trump Republicans to not simply decline to vote but to actually vote for Biden in order to restore some desperately needed sanity. Biden announcing his promise to pick a women for VP was pure brilliance, but who that is could make a big difference. From where I sit (out on a limb as usual) I think Tuesday's primaries will sink Sanders' chances. If that becomes obvious my hope is that he'll bow out quickly and voice strong support for Biden by reinforcing the idea that Trump must be defeated and it's the patriotic thing to do. That should get the Bernie bros on board as well as maybe bringing in some never-Trumpers. Although my heart bleeds for him I think it would be most honorable thing to do legacy-wise.

Honestly, I want to see Bernie stick with it for one important reason: we need to continue driving interest in the primaries, where downballot decisions are still meaningful.

Biden seems to have a 50% chance of screwing up what he says, to include physically threatening people at worst and funny flubs at best.

Now that the debate has taken place, can you point out the 50% of what Biden said last night that was screwed up?

Yea, I thought that Biden did a great job. I'm curious about the 50% also.

Yea, I thought that Biden did a great job. I'm curious about the 50% also.

Well, I'm still curious about Bernie's nine super PACs. When is Biden going finally answer?

I thought Bernie did terrible in that Sunday debate. He mixed up ebola with COVID-19, and he kept bringing up the past. He sounded like he was giving a stump speech instead of answering debate questions. In fact, to me it appeared as if he kept deflecting when he was asked questions.

Biden was sharp and appeared presidential. Of course, we're all going to interpret things from our own perspective. I'm not a fan of Sanders. I've thought the guy was kind of kooky for years. I've always liked Biden, and thought he did a good job as VP. But then, I'm a realist, not an idealist, and Biden is more realistic when it comes to knowing what progress is possible and what is wishful thinking. Those who support Bernie are likely to see it differently. I get it.

I do wish we had younger candidates with appropriate experience but we don't! I used to joke that it might take another old white guy to bring down Trump. Now it seems that may very well be the case.

I think Bernie kicked Biden's ass in the debate. He was probably thinking the debate would be a chance to come back. I wondered about that, too.

Now it seems Bernie should concede.

Back
Top Bottom