• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will there be political violence after the election this fall?

I think there's reasonably likely to be continued civil unrest... but I think the magnitude depends on who wins. I think there's a much higher likelihood of widespread violence if Trump wins than if Biden wins.

I believe the opposite because Trump has firmly established a pattern of causing civil unrest to divide the nation and create confusion to obfuscate his self-interest driven actions, and also due to the demographic of Trump sycophants - i.e. those that would commit violence and have a perceived reason to be upset at the results.
What is the reason that you think it would go the other way?

There's already a fair bit of anti-fascist and specifically anti-trump unrest. There were protests and objections immediately after the last election that he won. Our current upheaval is predominantly focused around civil rights that are more closely associated with liberal views than with conservative ones. There's a lot of very extreme, vehement anti-trump sentiment overall. That's a lot of people who are already protesting, already unhappy about the status quo, and already verging on mayhem. If Trump were to win, I think that powderkeg might blow.

If Biden wins... well there are a lot of conservatives that don't really like Trump anyway. They'll grumble about "evil liberals" and whatnot, but I doubt they'd take any action. You'll get small pockets of white supremacist organizations trying to stir up shit.

Either way, I think we're going to see some political violence. I don't think there's any way around it. I just think that if Trump wins, it will be a much bigger explosion with a lot more violence.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the write-in campaign for the Dwayne Johnson / Oprah Winfrey ticket will win.

The "extreme left" is extreme because they raise their voices at peaceful protests.
The "extreme right" is extreme because they engage in mass intimidation and murder.

The violence, everywhere I see it, is almost entirely from the right.

There's already a fair bit of anti-fascist and specifically anti-trump unrest. There were protests and objections immediately after the last election that he won. Our current upheaval is predominantly focused around civil rights that are more closely associated with liberal views than with conservative ones. There's a lot of very extreme, vehement anti-trump sentiment overall. That's a lot of people who are already protesting, already unhappy about the status quo, and already verging on mayhem. If Trump were to win, I think that powderkeg might blow.

If Biden wins... well there are a lot of conservatives that don't really like Trump anyway. They'll grumble about "evil liberals" and whatnot, but I doubt they'd take any action. You'll get small pockets of white supremacist organizations trying to stir up shit.

Either way, I think we're going to see some political violence. I don't think there's any way around it. I just think that if Trump wins, it will be a much bigger explosion with a lot more violence.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the write-in campaign for the Dwayne Johnson / Oprah Winfrey ticket will win.

The "extreme left" is extreme because they raise their voices at peaceful protests.
The "extreme right" is extreme because they engage in mass intimidation and murder.

Correct. People protesting the soft shutdown were carrying guns.

People protesting Floyd's killing were marching. And then you'd have some goons looting. And some white supremos trying to burn things and instigate a riot.

So what is going on in Chicago?

The same thing that has been going on for decades... organized crime, gang violence, corruption in the police department. Opportunistic exploitation of the haves by the have-nots... Nothing to do with politics.

I understand its all Fox news has to kowtow to their dear leader... but just because they play the same videos of a group of gang members exploiting a situation, doesn;t mean it actually happening 24/7, or has anything to do with what their narrative is... They (GOP) is just further exploiting blacks by trying to leverage the same old shit as some kind of new shit.

Back
Top Bottom