• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will there be political violence after the election this fall?

One prediction I've heard is that Bonespurs will challenge in the courts all mail in ballots in key states.

While it may be plain for all to see that the supreme court would reject such a challenge, I still remember Bush v. Gore.

Bush v. Gore was resolved on December 12th, prior to the end of the president's term in January.
If Trump v. Biden is not resolved by the end of the term, then it will be Acting President Pelosi that takes control of the military.
Furthermore, it will be the NEW SENATE that is elected in November that would be engaging in Congressional actions relating to this, so it may very well be a Democrat house and senate dealing with Trump's tantrum.

What if the Supreme Court rules mail-in ballots to be invalid on December 12th?

That would mean that all elections held in WA, OR, HI, UT, and CO have been invalid for years.

One prediction I've heard is that Bonespurs will challenge in the courts all mail in ballots in key states.

While it may be plain for all to see that the supreme court would reject such a challenge, I still remember Bush v. Gore.

Bush v. Gore was resolved on December 12th, prior to the end of the president's term in January.
If Trump v. Biden is not resolved by the end of the term, then it will be Acting President Pelosi that takes control of the military.
Furthermore, it will be the NEW SENATE that is elected in November that would be engaging in Congressional actions relating to this, so it may very well be a Democrat house and senate dealing with Trump's tantrum.

which mail-in ballots? the entire states of Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, and Utah that have had exclusively held vote-by-mail for years... some for decades.. and not one single significant case of fraud? Which State's supreme court? because our federal system has no authority on voting.. it constitutionally is in the hands of each individual state.
Executive orders to fuck everything up only apply to the executive branch, and only at the federal level. There is no legal federal action that can be made regarding voting. Which totally makes sense, doesn't it?
Trump's blovating is strictly to create confusion and doubt in the minds of the unintelligent / uninformed.. for the ratings.

which mail-in ballots? the entire states of Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, and Utah that have had exclusively held vote-by-mail for years... some for decades.. and not one single significant case of fraud? Which State's supreme court? because our federal system has no authority on voting.. it constitutionally is in the hands of each individual state.
Executive orders to fuck everything up only apply to the executive branch, and only at the federal level. There is no legal federal action that can be made regarding voting. Which totally makes sense, doesn't it?
Trump's blovating is strictly to create confusion and doubt in the minds of the unintelligent / uninformed.. for the ratings.

That's what people thought until Bush v. Gore.

I think there's reasonably likely to be continued civil unrest... but I think the magnitude depends on who wins. I think there's a much higher likelihood of widespread violence if Trump wins than if Biden wins.

People are now equivocating between mail-in ballots and absentee ballots.

No choice. Many people in Washington DC vote absentee, including Mr. Trump; they have to find some way to pretend it isn't hypocritical to deny to the average citizen a right which they themselves regularly utilize.

No choice. Many people in Washington DC vote absentee, including Mr. Trump; they have to find some way to pretend it isn't hypocritical to deny to the average citizen a right which they themselves regularly utilize.

It isn't the same thing.

It isn't the same thing.
How is a mail in absentee ballot different from a mail in ballot that is not an absentee ballot?

Perhaps Mr. Trump knows from his personal mail in voting experience about ballot fraud.

Yes, I think there will be violence. Trump will most likely lose, although he will say he's been cheated. Unlike some, I don't believe he will try to refuse to leave office. He's a coward, and the minute two people move forward to remove him he'll run his fat ass out of the Oval Office. Nevertheless, he will continue to play the victim, and his fans, who are already eager to do violence, especially considering some have already attempted it, will go over the line.

I think we'll see some "demonstrations" that get out of line, and I think we'll be deluged by "Karens" and "Chads" (sorry for using those terms, I don't really like them) that will quickly lose their temper with minorities. Finally, I think we'll see more lone wolf violence, a la Cesar Sayoc Jr. We could even see Bundy type stuff, armed thugs taking over government facilities and so on, that will have to be handled with the greatest of gentle gloves, because these people are so fragile. We may also see some law enforcement officers quitting in protest and so on.

I don't envy Biden. He's very mediocre and going to have a HUGE job considering the economy, coronavirus, and this bullshit.

I think there's reasonably likely to be continued civil unrest... but I think the magnitude depends on who wins. I think there's a much higher likelihood of widespread violence if Trump wins than if Biden wins.

Especially if Trump wins by subterfuge. Voter suppression, lawsuits, and outright fraud. That will indeed result in violence.

Don't even think of going to Charlottesville if T loses. Talk about dog whistle -- he's given them their marching orders and their chant.
Yo! Semites!!
Just sayin.

I can't even say if there will be:

1) an election
2) a fair outcome that is conceded to

Violence? Who the heck knows. Trump is doing his best to say mail-in voting will lead to massive fraud. He is laying the groundwork for a lawsuit already. He is threatening to sue Nevada for passing a bill allowing mail-in voting for ALL registered voters. I have no idea how either side will react to whatever happens.

Especially if Trump wins by subterfuge. Voter suppression, lawsuits, and outright fraud. That will indeed result in violence.

Sure. I'm currently inclined to think that even if he wins in a forthright manner, it will be assumed that it was by subterfuge.

My opinion, of course, but I'm inclined to think that conservatives will grumble and bitch, and might rally, but any violence as a result of a Biden win is going to be localized in small pockets of extremist nazi cohorts, not a widespread thing. Unless he starts fucking with gun rights... That's a whole different problem. On the other hand, I think that a lot of younger people, and people overall dissatisfied with everything in the US, will be inclined to be violent if Trump wins. I'm thinking the current protests amped up, with the small coalition of violent rioters becoming quite a bit larger.

Sure. I'm currently inclined to think that even if he wins in a forthright manner, it will be assumed that it was by subterfuge.
He is currently suing Nevada because of mail-in ballots. He has been out there saying the election will be rigged. This isn't an us v them thing... this is Trump saying it all the fucking time. And now has officially begun contesting the 2020 results... before we even get to November.

My opinion, of course, but I'm inclined to think that conservatives will grumble and bitch, and might rally, but any violence as a result of a Biden win is going to be localized in small pockets of extremist nazi cohorts, not a widespread thing. Unless he starts fucking with gun rights... That's a whole different problem. On the other hand, I think that a lot of younger people, and people overall dissatisfied with everything in the US, will be inclined to be violent if Trump wins. I'm thinking the current protests amped up, with the small coalition of violent rioters becoming quite a bit larger.
It all depends on the details. It'll be based on what we know, how quickly we know it, and how badly Trump wants to dispute it. Liberals won't riot to overthrow an election result. But if Trump does things that impact the result, who knows.

It isn't the same thing.
How is a mail in absentee ballot different from a mail in ballot that is not an absentee ballot?

The ballots are the same but how a voter receives the ballot is different. Absentee ballots are requested and mail-in ballots are automatically delivered.
According to an election official, once a ballot is received, the exact same process is followed to register the vote regardless if the ballot was asked for or just given to all registered voters.

Factually, as a person that has been mail-in voting for a couple of years now, the mail-in ballot is MUCH more secure than in-person voting. With the mail-in, you get a tracking slip that you keep and can use to track the status of your vote. with in-person, you pull a lever and just have to have faith in your county that it is counted.

It is plainly obvious to any American voter that routinely utilizes mail-in voting in any of the states that already have had this in place that this is the best way to handle elections.. assuming the goal is to have all eligible voices heard, of course.

I believe the opposite because Trump has firmly established a pattern of causing civil unrest to divide the nation and create confusion to obfuscate his self-interest driven actions, and also due to the demographic of Trump sycophants - i.e. those that would commit violence and have a perceived reason to be upset at the results.
What is the reason that you think it would go the other way?

I believe the opposite because Trump has firmly established a pattern of causing civil unrest to divide the nation and create confusion to obfuscate his self-interest driven actions, and also due to the demographic of Trump sycophants - i.e. those that would commit violence and have a perceived reason to be upset at the results.

There's already a fair bit of anti-fascist and specifically anti-trump unrest. There were protests and objections immediately after the last election that he won. Our current upheaval is predominantly focused around civil rights that are more closely associated with liberal views than with conservative ones. There's a lot of very extreme, vehement anti-trump sentiment overall. That's a lot of people who are already protesting, already unhappy about the status quo, and already verging on mayhem. If Trump were to win, I think that powderkeg might blow.

If Biden wins... well there are a lot of conservatives that don't really like Trump anyway. They'll grumble about "evil liberals" and whatnot, but I doubt they'd take any action. You'll get small pockets of white supremacist organizations trying to stir up shit.

Either way, I think we're going to see some political violence. I don't think there's any way around it. I just think that if Trump wins, it will be a much bigger explosion with a lot more violence.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the write-in campaign for the Dwayne Johnson / Oprah Winfrey ticket will win.

There's already a fair bit of anti-fascist and specifically anti-trump unrest. There were protests and objections immediately after the last election that he won. Our current upheaval is predominantly focused around civil rights that are more closely associated with liberal views than with conservative ones. There's a lot of very extreme, vehement anti-trump sentiment overall. That's a lot of people who are already protesting, already unhappy about the status quo, and already verging on mayhem. If Trump were to win, I think that powderkeg might blow.

If Biden wins... well there are a lot of conservatives that don't really like Trump anyway. They'll grumble about "evil liberals" and whatnot, but I doubt they'd take any action. You'll get small pockets of white supremacist organizations trying to stir up shit.

Either way, I think we're going to see some political violence. I don't think there's any way around it. I just think that if Trump wins, it will be a much bigger explosion with a lot more violence.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the write-in campaign for the Dwayne Johnson / Oprah Winfrey ticket will win.

If the evidence of HOW he won (cheating) is as blatantly obvious as, or more so than last time, I think you're right.

There's already a fair bit of anti-fascist and specifically anti-trump unrest. There were protests and objections immediately after the last election that he won.
Well, in Trump's first six months, he starts it all off with his bogus Inauguration attendance assessment, which he wouldn't let drop. He fired the acting Attorney General after privately raising an issue with the NSA's (Flynn) statement. He named a very inexperienced group of people to his Cabinet, who'd he would generally then speak poorly of when they left the Admin. He tried to give Russia back their spy HQ in Maryland which required action from the Senate to block, this after his son-in-law tried to get a direct line to Moscow... through the Russian embassy. He fired the head of the FBI who didn't drop the Flynn investigation, and before then was seeking for that guy to pledge allegiance to him. In August he'd have difficulties speaking against anti-Semites. Lots of golf, lots of Tweets, lots of legislation naming post offices.

There wasn't much good right out of the box, and he was acting like a person that was guilty of stuff.

Biden wins... well there are a lot of conservatives that don't really like Trump anyway. They'll grumble about "evil liberals" and whatnot, but I doubt they'd take any action. You'll get small pockets of white supremacist organizations trying to stir up shit.
Sure. Trump is already taking this election to court (Nevada). And his red hat wearing sheep followers will march straight to hell, taking us with them. So ultimately, it'll come down to how Trump himself handles the loss.

Back
Top Bottom