• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woke is white arrogance

Then you should probably stop using it, as you are the only white person in this thread I have seen bring the term up.

Dang that's racist. Applying different rules to people based on race.

Latinx isn't particularly common, but it's linguistically useful. It's a gender neutral word to refer to a group that includes both men and women. Hispanic languages aren't good at that.

It's rather like English speakers using the plural "they" to refer to a single person, because the person's gender is unknown and/or unimportant. "They" is gender neutral, even though the plural pronoun isn't accurate.
Tom

I did not apply any rules to the situation, they are TSwizzle's rules, I just advised him to abide by his own rules.

What rules did Twizzle apply to the use of the word Latinx?
Tom

How many films by black directors have you seen that isn't about racism? Films from black directions about ANY other topic? Or do you truly believe that the ONLY thing black directors think about all day, every day, is racism?

I'll start with Spike Lee.

David Byrne's American Utopia
Inside Man
Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
Da 5 Bloods
Old Boy
Red Hook Summer
Miracle At St Anna
25th Hour
Summer Of Sam
Girl 6
Clockers

You really need to get out more.

Well.. it's fake caring.

How did you determine it's fake?

Because the lack of any grand plan to succeed. There's no vision of where we want to get to. There's no acknowledgement that there's any price to pay. Because of the hallmark of PC/woke, tokenism. Blacks, gays and minorities are only allowed up on the stage as long as they repeat the woke message. If they have anything else to say, they are not welcome. While blacks might front these organizations, on social media it's whites having a go at one another. Ie, it's an internal ideological war within the priviliged class, who have no intention of letting go of their privilege. No priviliged group ever does.

Again, you really need to get out more. Your blinders make you express stupid ideas.

I did not apply any rules to the situation, they are TSwizzle's rules, I just advised him to abide by his own rules.

What rules did Twizzle apply to the use of the word Latinx?
Tom

The following rule:

Nevertheless, despite the dubious wiki, it’s arrogant white wokesters that use it exclusively use it.

The rule seems to be that only arrogant white wokesters use the term. Once again, I did not come up with it, I just noted he might want to stop using the term, lest he run afoul of his own rule.

In the science fiction or horror genre movie or TV industry today we see none of this. It's a straight white boys club, often making woke stories, writing us on the nose about how important it is to be feminist, gay friendly and not racist.
make it an absolute in the English language.

Do you not think it's still a straight white boys club? Are you truly arguing for that racism isn't a problem in Hollywood anymore?

How many films by black directors have you seen that isn't about racism? Films from black directions about ANY other topic? Or do you truly believe that the ONLY thing black directors think about all day, every day, is racism?

Inside Man
Da 5 Bloods
Old Boy
Red Hook Summer
Miracle At St Anna
25th Hour
Summer Of Sam
Girl 6
Clockers

I love Spike Lee and I love his movies. But he is woke. He was the example in my head when I was thinking about how blacks are only allowed to direct if they play the woke game. He is extremely woke. Everything I have seen by and about him screams woke.

BTW, Oldboy is a Korean, not woke, film which Lee made an awful American remake of, making it woke, and thereby stupid.

This style of mocking and holier-than-thou antipathy towards the idea of being “woke” to the needs, concerns and pain of others is interesting to behold. It is a repeated poke-poke-poke to agitate and keep agitated to make sure that those who care about justice and the well being of others know that they are mocked and disdained by a few dominance-fetishers who think care is a weakness. It’s the equivalent of the schoolyard bully who constantly bumps and pushes those they deem “weaker” and calls them “fag” or “pussy.”

It manifests here on TFT as this constant barrage of posts by a very small number of posters repeating the same shallow insults over and over. “Wokester.” “Virtue Signaling.” It used to include “PC” as an insult. See how I disdain your care for others. See how weak I think you are. See how I can knock your schoolbooks out of your hand onto the hallway floor and you won’t do it back to me? That means I’m powerful. That means I’m alpha. In my head, anyway.

When a discussion in one of these threads directs towards why compassion is valuable, and why being aware and supportive of the lived experiences of others is not something people are ashamed of, the schoolyard-style bullies keep name-calling for a while, then drop it, and go start another thread with their current mocking words; they run to another student and knock over their books and stand around with their chest out thinking everyone admires their “strength” and dominance.

So - yeah yeah yeah. Wokester. Virtue Signalling. PC run amok.

I am **GLAD** to be awake to the realities of others. I was insulated for so long not realizing what my world was like for others.
I am **GLAD** to signal to others what virtues I find important; among them care, concern, justice
I am **GLAD** to know what language hurts, and avoid it in favor of lannguage that doesn’t hurt. Hooray for Politically Correct norms.

And I’ll keep thinking this next week, when I watch the bullies again posture and preen with their displays of mocking and disdain, their acts of dominance-seeking where they try to knock others down so they can feel strong and worthwhile. And I’ll keep thinking, “how sad is that. They have to work so hard to feel worthwhile. They never feel content and loved. Gotta shove people to the ground so they can feel tall. No one taught them how to build to feel big, they only learned how to destroy others. And they don’t even realize that no one looks at that display and thinks they are powerful. Or - maybe they do know that, but they only know one way to feel powerful and they just have to keep using it, even while they know it doesn’t work.”

I know this and other posts will continue to sprout up. Mock the caring, disdain cooperative aspirations. Try to sell dominance as the only virtue. Beat the chest. Howl the monkey howls.

The dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.

... wokeism ... wokesters ... wokesters ... wokesters ... wokesters ... wokesters ...

Urban Dictionary said:
Wokester: An insult used to describe a person who gets easily outraged and professes a moral high ground over social justice issues.

I think the word "Wokester" is used almost exclusively as a pejorative by people who hate "Wokeism." It is not fair to say "it is just a descriptor." (Is "Nigger a valid deszcriptor for "people with nigra skin color"?)

Surely there are good synonyms available for "wokesters." Perhaps "compassionate people" or "people aware of CRT." :)

I think the word "Wokester" is used almost exclusively as a pejorative by people who hate "Wokeism." It is not fair to say "it is just a descriptor." (Is "Nigger a valid deszcriptor for "people with nigra skin color"?)

Surely there are good synonyms available for "wokesters." Perhaps "compassionate people" or "people aware of CRT." :)

A couple of years ago I went on a date with a British girl who on her Tinder profile said she only dated men who were "woke". I don't think it's only used as a pejorative. If it is, this has changed recently.

A couple of years ago I went on a date with a British girl who on her Tinder profile said she only dated men who were "woke". I don't think it's only used as a pejorative. If it is, this has changed recently.

To see if two words are the same word, you can try this from the Unix command-line:
% echo woke | diff - /dev/tty
wokester
^D
1c1
< woke
---
> wokester​

Nope, different words.

Inside Man
Da 5 Bloods
Old Boy
Red Hook Summer
Miracle At St Anna
25th Hour
Summer Of Sam
Girl 6
Clockers

I love Spike Lee and I love his movies. But he is woke. He was the example in my head when I was thinking about how blacks are only allowed to direct if they play the woke game. He is extremely woke. Everything I have seen by and about him screams woke.

BTW, Oldboy is a Korean, not woke, film which Lee made an awful American remake of, making it woke, and thereby stupid.

So making an American version of a foreign film is woke?

You sure about that? Seems like it might be cultural appropriation to me, which doesn't seem very woke if I try to view things from an anti-woke perspective. Not that I go in for the whole "cultural appropriation" thing, I'm just trying to feel out what is woke and what isn't, and how the anti-wokesters make that determination.

You sure about that? Seems like it might be cultural appropriation to me, which doesn't seem very woke if I try to view things from an anti-woke perspective. Not that I go in for the whole "cultural appropriation" thing, I'm just trying to feel out what is woke and what isn't, and how the anti-wokesters make that determination.

Lol. No

Well.. it's fake caring.

How did you determine it's fake?

Because the lack of any grand plan to succeed. There's no vision of where we want to get to. There's no acknowledgement that there's any price to pay. Because of the hallmark of PC/woke, tokenism. Blacks, gays and minorities are only allowed up on the stage as long as they repeat the woke message. If they have anything else to say, they are not welcome. While blacks might front these organizations, on social media it's whites having a go at one another. Ie, it's an internal ideological war within the priviliged class, who have no intention of letting go of their privilege. No priviliged group ever does.

So what is your grand plan to succeed?

Oh please, "woke" to Dr. Z is whatever the heck he wants it to be.

Inside Man
Da 5 Bloods
Old Boy
Red Hook Summer
Miracle At St Anna
25th Hour
Summer Of Sam
Girl 6
Clockers

Setting some confusion on my end aside (having to do with you calling Spike Lee's works both PC (Politically correct) and Woke. Where do you get the idea that Spike Lee is only doing woke movies because he is not allowed to do anything else? How I see it is, the issue Black people have gone (and are going) through in America is personally important to him, and he uses his platform to draw attention to issues and generate conversations.

The only way I can see Spike Lee being at all inhibited from doing non-woke productions is solely due to his personal beliefs colliding with the current/past climate in America towards Black people. In other words, if there were no racial issues Spike Lee probably would be doing non-race-related movies (or as you may put it, non-woke movies).

Again, where is your proof that Spike or any Black director for that matter is "only allowed to direct if they play the woke game" or to phrase the question on my terms, where is your proof that Spike or Any Black director is doing woke movies they aren't personally invested in? And by personally invested I specifically mean the movie is the director's personal expression.

Setting some confusion on my end aside (having to do with you calling Spike Lee's works both PC (Politically correct) and Woke. Where do you get the idea that Spike Lee is only doing woke movies because he is not allowed to do anything else? How I see it is, the issue Black people have gone (and are going) through in America is personally important to him, and he uses his platform to draw attention to issues and generate conversations.

The only way I can see Spike Lee being at all inhibited from doing non-woke productions is solely due to his personal beliefs colliding with the current/past climate in America towards Black people. In other words, if there were no racial issues Spike Lee probably would be doing non-race-related movies (or as you may put it, non-woke movies).

Again, where is your proof that Spike or any Black director for that matter is "only allowed to direct if they play the woke game" or to phrase the question on my terms, where is your proof that Spike or Any Black director is doing woke movies they aren't personally invested in? And by personally invested I specifically mean the movie is the director's personal expression.

I notice when DrZ goes into details of his argument it falls apart completely.

Lol. No

In that case, would you like to retract the following statement:
"Lee made an awful American remake of, making it woke"

Or, maybe it was the film being awful that made it woke. I find that difficult to accept, as there are a ton of awful movies out there that are definitely not woke by anyone's standards.

So what is your grand plan to succeed?

A start is to acknowledge that it might be complicated, not straight forward, involve other dynamics than just racism and that postmodernism might not be correct.

Woke is monolithic in its explanation models. Postmodernism/CRT is convoluted and perhaps unnecessarily complicated. It doesn't allow for any other way to fight racism. That makes it stupid

The war on drugs failed because a bunch of people thought they'd figured it all out how addiction works. No they hadn't.

Wokes are unjustifiably confident in that their methods will work. I don't think it will. I think the entire project is a sham.

I may not have a solution. But I still think we should stop doing things that definitely aren't a solution.

Or, maybe it was the film being awful that made it woke. I find that difficult to accept, as there are a ton of awful movies out there that are definitely not woke by anyone's standards.

I'm not retracting the statement. Lee's movies are both good and woke. Usually. Oldboy was awful. But it wasn't awful because it was woke. It was awful for other reasons. But he did manage to crowbar woke into Oldboy for no reason. It was superfluous. But it was such a stinker that it didn't really matter.

A movie can be woke AND good. There's no conflict. Which is why I love Spike Lee.

I have a friend who is a militant feminist and a lesbian. She loves Disney movies. She does not agree with the messages of those films. She still loves them.

I think you have a preposterously single (simple?) minded view of how tastes in films should work. Human beings are complex. We can hold conflicting ideas in our heads. It's normal.

I'm not retracting the statement. Lee's movies are both good and woke. Usually. Oldboy was awful. But it wasn't awful because it was woke. It was awful for other reasons. But he did manage to crowbar woke into Oldboy for no reason. It was superfluous. But it was such a stinker that it didn't really matter.
My favorite parts of these posts is Dr. Z's defense of his judgments via the same judgments. The movies are woke because they are woke.

A movie can be woke AND good. There's no conflict. Which is why I love Spike Lee.

I have a friend who is a militant feminist and a lesbian. She loves Disney movies. She does not agree with the messages of those films. She still loves them.
Disney movies have messages? I mean other than "Fuck the original content?"

I think you have a preposterously single (simple?) minded view of how tastes in films should work. Human beings are complex.
That is so woke.

Back
Top Bottom