• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woman acts out Abraham's Sacrifice - but God doesn't say stop

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
Quite a few acts and actors in the Good Book that would be considered criminals or psychotics today.
Odd this never seems to come up in Sunday sermons.

As much as I'd like to make a post deriding religion here, this is no more the fault of religion than D&D is the fault of kids committing suicide or girls dressing sexy is the fault of guys shooting a bunch of people.

Some people are just crazy and they give their crazy a focus on whatever happens to be a major part of their life. This is a sad story about how mentally ill people can harm those closest to them, not a story about religion.

So....
'Gods don't kill people. People kill people,' sort of thing, that's what you're saying Tom?

As much as I'd like to make a post deriding religion here, this is no more the fault of religion than D&D is the fault of kids committing suicide or girls dressing sexy is the fault of guys shooting a bunch of people.

Some people are just crazy and they give their crazy a focus on whatever happens to be a major part of their life. This is a sad story about how mentally ill people can harm those closest to them, not a story about religion.

Unlike D&D, religion actually works hard to convince it's adherents to follow the precepts without questioning them. Some of them threaten you with shunning and excommunication if you don't believe "enough." The deliberately try to convince people that these deeds are Good and Holy and Flawless.
This is a huge honkin' difference. D&D does not do that at all.

But I suspect an atheist who's going crazy might might be inclined to consult a doctor rather than a priest.

I had rather read Job.
Where a tornado or a traffic accident could have killed her daughter, instead, just because God wanted to prove a point?

No, I think his point was that it would have been better if she'd burned down her neighbour's house and killed his family in order to give him the opportunity to keep his faith in spite of tragedy.

I have to agree with Tom's assessment. This poor woman was mentally ill. We don't know the entirety of circumstances involved, but looking into the church itself, it seems very liberal and far from the cult status some could be assigned. The suicide note is telling as well. Such a tragedy.

http://mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014...ng-2-year-old-while-re-enacting-bible-story#1

And sure enough she manages to kill a two year old girl. She says she was inspired by her pastors sermon on Abraham's sacrifice. The pastor's response was that no one could have foreseen the consequences of the sermon. I'm sure not. Guess there is no god. Either that or he is a sadistic fuck.

SLD

The Bible does warn that believers would be persecuted for their beliefs, as this woman surely is. I will pray that the evil government will come to God and stop tormenting this obviously pious woman. [/conservativechristian]

People who are mentally ill can latch onto anything to set them off. Such as thinking Beetles albums have secret messages for them.

However, some things help feed into the mental illness better than others. Anti-government conspiracy theories are a good example, giving justification for paranoia, and possibly leading acts of violence against the government. Religious text can do a lot of the same thing, but it depends on what they are actually teaching. Like I think Mormon beliefs on being able to communicate directly with god can be bad for those who think they hear voices. Snake handling speaks for itself.

I doubt this woman's church taught anything along the lines of what she did. Other than the general belief in superstitious nonsense, I wouldn't blame the church sermons, unless some specific teachings in them would support this.

http://mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014...ng-2-year-old-while-re-enacting-bible-story#1

And sure enough she manages to kill a two year old girl. She says she was inspired by her pastors sermon on Abraham's sacrifice. The pastor's response was that no one could have foreseen the consequences of the sermon. I'm sure not. Guess there is no god. Either that or he is a sadistic fuck.

SLD
Except God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Issac. Abraham didn't just do it out of the blue and God told him to stop.

What an utter gut wrenchingly needless tragedy! You need to be very sick to drown a toddler. The suicide note makes absolutely no sense. And why was this women raising children who weren't hers in the first place?!

I agree. And the pastor is right. No one could have predicted that. Millions, if not billions, of people hear sermons on that very same Bible story without trying to re-enact it.

Sure, she was mentally ill, but it doesn't excuse these churches from peddling their barbarism like it's something good, which is exactly what they do.

Except God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Issac. Abraham didn't just do it out of the blue and God told him to stop.

What an utter gut wrenchingly needless tragedy! You need to be very sick to drown a toddler. The suicide note makes absolutely no sense. And why was this women raising children who weren't hers in the first place?!

But who's to say "God" didn't command this woman to sacrifice her children, too? Only she can know that.

As long as churches are teaching that Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son confers "righteousness" on him, there will be the possibility of emulation among their followers, particularly the mentally ill.

But who's to say "God" didn't command this woman to sacrifice her children, too? Only she can know that.

As long as churches are teaching that Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son confers "righteousness" on him, there will be the possibility of emulation among their followers, particularly the mentally ill.
Honestly, I have no idea why this story would be preached in the first place. It is the ultimate test of obedience and blind devotion. It is also an absurd test for an omnipotent god to perform. It tells us nothing about how we should behave, as god doesn't ask people to do things any more.

If Abraham was willing to do this then Abraham was just as retarded as this woman, and any decent person would recognize that Abraham is not to be envied and emulated. If you're a preacher that doesn't recognize that and you preach it as something good then you deserve to be hung by your nuts - or whatever - when someone goes out and does exactly what you told them is a good thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom