• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Working Mom Arrested for Letting Her 9-Year-Old Play Alone at Park

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Later on in the conversation, Skenazy boils it down to this. “There’s been this huge cultural shift. We now live in a society where most people believe a child can not be out of your sight for one second, where people think children need constant, total adult supervision. This shift is not rooted in fact. It’s not rooted in any true change. It’s imaginary. It’s rooted in irrational fear
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...g-a-9-year-old-play-at-the-park-alone/374436/

I don't have kids, but my friends do. I've seen this phenomenon first hand. Comparatively speaking, when I was a child I had total freedom. My girlfriend has two boys and they have to constantly text her their whereabouts and what they are doing.

There is a company called Kidsport GPS that makes a child tracking device. http://www.kidsportgps.com/ I can see the benefit of this, but I wonder how it will effect the psychological growth of kids. When these kids grow up are they going to have a psychological need for safety via government monitoring?

That's pretty lame. My eldest just turned nine and I've told him that now he can go over to the park that's a couple of blocks from our house by ourselves. It does astound me how it is that there are other parents in my townhouse complex who won't let their kids run around the property without being outside and keeping a close eye on them all the time. I believe the word for people who grow up in such a sheltered environment is "low-level employee".

A 9 year old is old enough to be responsible to be alone, but not old enough to fend off a kidnapper. Hence the caution.

A 9 year old is old enough to be responsible to be alone, but not old enough to fend off a kidnapper. Hence the caution.

But you need a reasonable level of caution. Across the entire country of Canada, there's about 25 kids kidnapped by strangers every year. The dangerous part is his getting hit by a car while biking the two blocks to the park, not someone trying to grab him while he's at the park.

Across the entire country of Canada, there's about 25 kids kidnapped by strangers every year.
According to the FBI, about 74,000 kids go missing in the US in a year. I'm not sure how many of those are 'by strangers.' The vast majority are by family members or family friends, although a growing number of abductions appear to be committed by Child Services trying to rescue kids from insufficiently paranoid parents...

Any kid is 100 times more likely to get hit by a car crossing the street while holding an adults hand, then they are to get kidnapped. So that is an absurd and irrational and destructive and harmful fear to the kids and to society in general. Attention all parents: Odds are astronomically small that anyone other than you will ever attempt to kidnap or have sex with your kid. Get a fucking grip and stop trying to institute a fascist state that legislates your pathetically irrational and narcissistic phobias.

Across the entire country of Canada, there's about 25 kids kidnapped by strangers every year.
According to the FBI, about 74,000 kids go missing in the US in a year. I'm not sure how many of those are 'by strangers.' The vast majority are by family members or family friends, although a growing number of abductions appear to be committed by Child Services trying to rescue kids from insufficiently paranoid parents...

Most of those are runaways or are young girls taken to Asia as sex slaves (it goes that way, too).

So the state would prefer the child staying at home vegging on TV? Many details are missing, but presumably the park was near the workplace so the child could go see the parent, instead of being stuck at home all day. Being outside isn't a bad thing, as long as the child isn't being forced to endure bad weather.

As the OP article link notes, putting the child in foster care is doing a ton more damage than what seemed to be a parent trying to let their child have an alternative way of spending the day and gave her a method for emergency contact. 9 years old isn't old, but it is certainly old enough to be on your own in a location where there are other children and be able to know better in certain situations. We are talking a third or fourth grader.

Unless other details come forth, the State messed up here.

But you need a reasonable level of caution. Across the entire country of Canada, there's about 25 kids kidnapped by strangers every year. The dangerous part is his getting hit by a car while biking the two blocks to the park, not someone trying to grab him while he's at the park.

Back in the day grandpa Tom or Uncle Fealy weren't considered threats, kids weren't taught to keep them from touching, and mom's weren't plastering counters with antibiotics. We used to fear Bears, wolves, crazy Charley, and those African Americans (yeah that's what they were called back in the day/not) in French Town. We were settled on pretty stable stereotypes in our communities (one stereotype for one community).

Sure my great great granddad ran away from the farm in South Carolina and joined up with Mormons in Nauvoo when and traveled to northern Utah when he was 16, but, that's the exception. Right? OK, maybe not.

But here we are afraid of a whole new bunch of things. We don't die when we're still able to do heavy labor or bear children any more. So, my youngest was killed by a drunk when he was 31. So what? My other kids have kids and my other kids are already older than 40 (about when the average person died in the 1880s). So we invented other reasons to fear God, dying, having our stuff taken from us, to fill the vacuum (back to the antibiotics on counters).

Hell, we lived through 50 years of DDT until we realized some of us would die from it by just eating peaches.

Fear attaches to things until it takes up all that space we've reserved, or, have been conditioned to reserve, for it. That makes it different from greed since that operates until there is noting left to desire.

Kids are just one of those things to which we've attached fear so we can feel less afraid of being killed by a lightning bolt.

added after seeing other posts.

Oh come one. There used to be white slavery all over the US and Europe and society wasn't all that concerned. Our unconscionable fear of such now is part enlightenment and part fear farting. Women have rights now so women are seen as having some value now. Enough said. The fear farting part is excessive fear by such as: those fundies who used to sell their daughters into slavery or have them taken out by wolves and who are not wringing hands to get others to come to church and sign up for mean spirited issues like keeping poor women from avoiding having unwanted children; or, those do gooders who wring their hands for every poor child thinking it is being abused.

Playing in park with a bunch of strangers is actually among the safest and healthiest places you could leave your kid.

I think an apple with a razor blade in it is better at Halloween than a regular apple. With the former, at least you know that you're purposely being a dick.

The number of true kidnappers is very low. Almost all kidnapping is custody issues, not strangers taking kids for bad purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

"Vast majority" = about 99.8%.

Playing in park with a bunch of strangers is actually among the safest and healthiest places you could leave your kid.

Yup. There will be plenty of parents there who would no doubt call it in if someone tried to snatch a kid there. It's probably a lot safer than being home alone.

There's no such thing as perfect safety, but your average nine year old can find his way home and manage not to get himself killed.
Teach your kid that the world is dangerous and that he needs supervision whenever he leaves the house and you'll get a frightened, paranoid adult who feels safe only in a police state.

Back
Top Bottom