• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

WTF? Trump "hopes" Russian Intelligence to find and release HRC's missing emails.

What does "espionage" have to do with Hillary's deleted emails?

You're worried the Russians are going to steal her best yoga routines?

This can't be correct. Just four years ago the Dems were ridiculing Romney for saying that Russia was our greatest geopolitical threat. The Dems torn him a new one for that silliness, they did.

Russia is at least a rival and at worst a threat. In any case, encouraging them to spy on us is not something that should be said - even in jest - by a candidate for the Presidency. Trump once again has demonstrated that he can't be taken seriously on matters of national security.

I mentioned Watergate above, and it bears repeating. Maybe Russia did hack into Hillary's emails. Maybe not. We know for certain that Wikileaks hacked the DNC and deliberately timed the release in an attempt to undermine the US Presidential election. Shades of Watergate abound. That time it was a domestic plot, and there had to be a physical break in, but the intended result was the same: To undermine the US Presidential election. The actual result was a sitting President resigning in disgrace and the entire nation losing confidence in their government for a generation if not more.

This is serious stuff we're talking about here, but to you, and dismal, and Donald Trump it is all a big fucking joke.

:mad:

This can't be correct. Just four years ago the Dems were ridiculing Romney for saying that Russia was our greatest geopolitical threat. The Dems tore him a new one for that silliness, they did.

That's a good point. I don't know if Russia is our greatest geopolitical threat - but they are very close. No doubt about it. However, I listened to Trump's speech twice: I didn't detect any sarcasm or humor. He invited them to find the e-mails and then send them to our press.

OK, just to catch you up on a few things. Hillary says she provided all the work related emails. The ones she deleted were personal. About her yoga routines and stuff. She not only deleted them, she wiped the server. The FBI never got them.

So:

1) If the Russians can find them it's because they already had them. From back before Hillary deleted them.

2) If they contain confidential US government information, it's because Hillary is a lying sack of shit who probably belongs in prison.

Throwing a big tizzy fit about Trump's comment seems to suggest you believe one or both of the following.

What does "espionage" have to do with Hillary's deleted emails?

You're worried the Russians are going to steal her best yoga routines?

This can't be correct. Just four years ago the Dems were ridiculing Romney for saying that Russia was our greatest geopolitical threat. The Dems tore him a new one for that silliness, they did.

I think maybe Russia has done something in the last four years that has upped their threat level. Perhaps you didn't notice, but you might want to google the keywords "Crimea", and/or "Ukraine".

That's a good point. I don't know if Russia is our greatest geopolitical threat - but they are very close. No doubt about it. However, I listened to Trump's speech twice: I didn't detect any sarcasm or humor. He invited them to find the e-mails and then send them to our press.

OK, just to catch you up on a few things. Hillary says she provided all the work related emails. The ones she deleted were personal. About her yoga routines and stuff. She not only deleted them, she wiped the server. The FBI never got them.

So:

1) If the Russians can find them it's because they already had them. From back before Hillary deleted them.

2) If they contain confidential US government information, it's because Hillary is a lying sack of shit who probably belongs in prison.

Throwing a big tizzy fit about Trump's comment seems to suggest you believe one or both of the following.

But that's not what Trump said. Trump invited them to hack into her email account.

Clearly Russia is a threat to it's neighbors. It always has been. Goes with being a superpower, granted Russia is substantially diminished.

What's not so clear is if crowding Russia by forming alliances with it's possible victims is wise.

They're vulnerable to it at this point, but how much of a commitment do we want to make. Seems like good blowback potential, especially as any aid we might give would probably be too late.

Also I wonder how much of this diplomacy is a cover for arms sales. Eg buy our missile defense system, and we'll form an alliance with you.

Clearly Russia is a threat to it's neighbors. It always has been. Goes with being a superpower, granted Russia is substantially diminished.

What's not so clear is if crowding Russia by forming alliances with it's possible victims is wise.

They're vulnerable to it at this point, but how much of a commitment do we want to make. Seems like good blowback potential, especially as any aid we might give would probably be too late.

Also I wonder how much of this diplomacy is a cover for arms sales. Eg buy our missile defense system, and we'll form an alliance with you.

It's a balancing act. I agree that we don't want to scare the Russians by arming their border countries too much. However, we know that Russia is expansionist. We need to discourage this a little by beefing up the border states defensive capabilities.

So:

But that's not what Trump said. Trump invited them to hack into her email account.

This is what Trump said:

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing”

Can you explain to me how they would do that?

Not to mention, how Trump saying this would induce them to do it?

This can't be correct. Just four years ago the Dems were ridiculing Romney for saying that Russia was our greatest geopolitical threat. The Dems torn him a new one for that silliness, they did.

Russia is at least a rival and at worst a threat. In any case, encouraging them to spy on us is not something that should be said - even in jest - by a candidate for the Presidency. Trump once again has demonstrated that he can't be taken seriously on matters of national security.

I mentioned Watergate above, and it bears repeating. Maybe Russia did hack into Hillary's emails. Maybe not. We know for certain that Wikileaks hacked the DNC and deliberately timed the release in an attempt to undermine the US Presidential election. Shades of Watergate abound. That time it was a domestic plot, and there had to be a physical break in, but the intended result was the same: To undermine the US Presidential election. The actual result was a sitting President resigning in disgrace and the entire nation losing confidence in their government for a generation if not more.

This is serious stuff we're talking about here, but to you, and dismal, and Donald Trump it is all a big fucking joke.

:mad:

Surely you're not saying that failing to adhere to procedures meant to prevent emails from being hacked raises a national security issue. No, no. That's crazy talk.

The problem is that Trump's comments are so inane and his maturity so low that we can't tell when he's kidding. Everyone understands this, even those defending him. Also, like a child, he says "Just kidding!" after making a stupid, passive-aggressive remark likely to get him into trouble. Personally, I don't think he was joking. Trump's behavior has put him way past the point where I will give him any charity in his remarks.

I think maybe Russia has done something in the last four years that has upped their threat level. Perhaps you didn't notice, but you might want to google the keywords "Crimea", and/or "Ukraine".

Right on. And wouldn't it have been neat if we had a President with the foresight to see risks like that before they happened? Nah.

The problem is that Trump's comments are so inane and his maturity so low that we can't tell when he's kidding. Everyone understands this, even those defending him. Also, like a child, he says "Just kidding!" after making a stupid, passive-aggressive remark likely to get him into trouble. Personally, I don't think he was joking. Trump's behavior has put him way paste the point where I will give him any charity in his remarks.

This is so hilarious. It's DNC convention week and we're all discussing a few lines Trump said in a presser. Fucking A.

Right on. And wouldn't it have been neat if we had a President with the foresight to see risks like that before they happened? Nah.

And what could he have done differently?

You can have the bridge for $1,000. It's a real deal.

It's scary the the left has lost its sense of humor. The label "regressive" left really seems apt. The Soviets had trouble discerning a joke, too.
So was Trump joking that he doesn't know Putin after saying he did know Putin earlier?

Regarding a sense of humor, the right-wing has long shown they don't seem to have a handle on good comedy. Dennis Miller would be a great example.

I used to think that Trump was just in this for the attention, or as a favour to Hillary, but had no intention of actually doing the job as president..... no wait.... I still think that. If he wins he isn't actually going to do anything other than sit on a golden throne and let his minions make all of the actual decisions for him. He did after all offer Kasich direction over foreign and domestic policy.... which only excludes outer space. Maybe trump wants to colonize Mars?

That's a good point. I don't know if Russia is our greatest geopolitical threat - but they are very close. No doubt about it.

No, Russia is not anywhere near our greatest geopolitical threat.

It's scary the the left has lost its sense of humor. The label "regressive" left really seems apt. The Soviets had trouble discerning a joke, too.
So was Trump joking that he doesn't know Putin after saying he did know Putin earlier?

Regarding a sense of humor, the right-wing has long shown they don't seem to have a handle on good comedy. Dennis Miller would be a great example.

Well, criticize the right-wing's lack of humor all you want. But why does the left want to be humorless like them?

Back
Top Bottom