• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Year 11 boys ordered to stand up and labelled 'oppressors' if they are white, Christian, and male.

First, white boys were not part of white people. Now they are. This is just so confusing.

Shame is something a person feels.

Nobody can be forced to feel shame.

And certainly not snickering teenagers.

Young people under the authority of their school superiors were singled out and shamed. Of course, you don't feel any sympathy towards them because white boys are outside your sphere of moral concern.

First, white boys were not part of white people. Now they are. This is just so confusing.

I'm afraid you are confused, but that does not mean it is confusing.

Boys were selected to be shamed as boys.

White boys were selected to be shamed as white boys.

"White people" were not shamed as a whole; a specific subset of them was. That subset was white boys.

These guys just like using the term "white boy", sort of a revenge for calling black men "boy".

Shame is something a person feels.

Nobody can be forced to feel shame.

And certainly not snickering teenagers.

Young people under the authority of their school superiors were singled out and shamed. Of course, you don't feel any sympathy towards them because white boys are outside your sphere of moral concern.

Were they shamed? 17 year old males?

Why would any of them feel shame?

I don't believe it. 17 year old boys are not so easily shamed.

Or were they merely used in a demonstration?

Were they shamed? 17 year old males?

First, year 11 boys are either 15 or 16. They would not be 17 in April of the school year unless they had repeated a grade.

Second, yes. They were shamed. To be told to stand so that people can accuse you of crimes is to shame somebody. The emotions they felt have no bearing on the fact they were shamed by an adult authority figure.

Why would any of them feel shame?

I don't believe it. 17 year old boys are not so easily shamed.

Or were they merely used in a demonstration?

They were certainly used, as a captive audience, by an adult authority figure.

It speaks ill of you that you can't even condemn the shaming. The mistreatment of white boys does not bother you. We get it. You don't need to keep advertising that you don't care.

You might think I've reported on this incident before, but no: this is another episode of a captive audience of boys being publically shamed like the Brauer College incident. This time around, however, the boys were only publically shamed as oppressors, but were not required to confess their sins.

The original article is paywalled but a discussion with the original education reporter is here, and summarised below:

Herald Sun Education Reporter Suzan Delibasic says a Kingston City Council youth worker has told Year 11 boys to stand up and labelled them “oppressors” if they were Christian, white and male. Ms Delibasic said the kids at Parkdale Secondary College were left “shocked” by the situation. “They were completely shocked and just so disheartened,” she said. “Parents are disgusted, the community in Kingston is reeling, it’s just caused a lot of anger amongst everybody in the school community.” Ms Delibasic said the school did not know the situation was going to take place. “They have already, as I understand it, lodged a formal complaint with the council, and they’re asking for it to be investigated,” she said. “Last night I spoke to a female student, she’s 16, and she said they were terrified to stand up and say anything. “At the start, they thought it was a joke and they thought this can’t be serious, this is so messed up. “They were too afraid to stand up because they didn’t want to be labelled as homophobic and they didn’t want to be labelled as anything else.”
hmm...
https://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle...s/news-story/656296b94b0f09afad0d6783e6657874
School principal David Russell issued a statement to parents on Sunday apologising for the incident.

“As part of this presentation led by the guest speaker, many Year 11 boys were asked to stand and told they were historically the oppressors,” Mr Russell said.

In that case, the exercise sounds inappropriate, but probably not damaging.
Depends on what you mean by "damaging".

That's an impressionable age. How many of those kids left thinking "White Privilege is b.s. It's just a way for assholes to bully me. I've never done anything to hurt anybody. Eff those idiots!" Would you consider that damage?

I ask this as the child of staunch Catholics. At around the age of those kids, I went through Confirmation. I went in a skeptic and left a hard atheist. RCC teachings were b.s. But I was the dependent child of Catholics, so I didn't say that to anybody.

I didn't revisit that decision for decades afterwards.

I wonder how many of the kids who left that event felt the way about White Privilege that I felt about the RCC?
Tom

That's an impressionable age. How many of those kids left thinking "White Privilege is b.s. It's just a way for assholes to bully me. I've never done anything to hurt anybody. Eff those idiots!" Would you consider that damage?

I ask this as the child of staunch Catholics. At around the age of those kids, I went through Confirmation. I went in a skeptic and left a hard atheist. RCC teachings were b.s. But I was the dependent child of Catholics, so I didn't say that to anybody.

I wonder how many of the kids who left that event felt the way about White Privilege that I felt about the RCC?
Tom

That damage is already done, if it is. The school can't erase what's taught in the home. If it's doing it's job, it's pointing out that learning about race privilege for the first time at age fifteen is itself a privilege afforded only to white kids.

Tom

That damage is already done, if it is. The school can't erase what's taught in the home. If it's doing it's job, it's pointing out that learning about race privilege for the first time at age fifteen is itself a privilege afforded only to white kids.

WTF

Tom

Nonsense.
I'm talking about what happened at school.

Home might be better, it might be worse. But I'm talking about what happened at the event itself.
Tom

Nonsense.

Home might be better, it might be worse. But I'm talking about what happened at the event itself.
Tom

Kids don't learn white nationalist rhetoric on their own...

Nonsense.

Tom

Telling young people that they should feel shame for their skin color is a kinda Nazi, though.

Nonsense.

Tom

That's not what we're talking about here.
Tom

Tom

Concluding that "white privilege is bunk" on the sole basis that you once experienced racism, is not a conclusion a rational person would come to unless they were already being spoonfed that crap.

Do you consider it proof that blacks are never privileged by the system, every single time a black kid gets called a pejorative?

Telling young people that they should feel shame for their skin color is a kinda Nazi, though.

You must have a really bizarre notion of how Nazism worked. You really think it involved telling fifteen year olds that they oppress their neighbors? Just that?

You must have a really bizarre notion of how Nazism worked. You really think it involved telling fifteen year olds that they oppress their neighbors? Just that?

Ah, Nazism was anti-individual and hyper-focused on race. Just like the Woke neo-racists of today.

Tom

Concluding that "white privilege is bunk" on the sole basis that you once experienced racism, is not a conclusion a rational person would come to unless they were already being spoonfed that crap.

We aren't talking about rational people. We're talking about impressionable youngsters being singled out and shamed at a public event they cannot leave. Told things that aren't literally true, about them as individuals.

Those kids didn't create the ugly history of racism. Singling them out and publicly shaming them probably caused more damage than education.

I wasn't there, I don't know. Based on my experience with human nature I'd guess that this event had more education for the children's parents. "This school invites people to bully my kid for being himself". Looks like yet more damage from the Woke.
Tom

We aren't talking about rational people. We're talking about impressionable youngsters being singled out and shamed at a public event they cannot leave. Told things that aren't literally true, about them as individuals.

Those kids didn't create the ugly history of racism. Singling them out and publicly shaming them probably caused more damage than education.

I wasn't there, I don't know. Based on my experience with human nature I'd guess that this event had more education for the children's parents. "This school invites people to bully my kid for being himself". Looks like yet more damage from the Woke.
Tom
What does done was wrong. Having been a teenage boy myself and having raised 3 sons past teenage, I doubt there was much of a long-lasting impression on most (if any) of them other than "this was just more HS shite".

Back
Top Bottom