• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

You find yourself in the cretaceous

@untermensche - does it ever bother you that the exact same reasoning you're demonstrating here can be used to support a flat earth, by just exchanging a few words?

How do you return to a past that does not exist?

You don't. The past exists as part of the space-time continuum. Or more precisely: there isn't even such a thing as the past. There are only points in spacetime. Which of those appear to be synchronous (and therefore part of a (not the) present is a matter of perspective. An event that appears to be in the past for an earth based observer may be in the present or future from the perspective of another observer.

Asking "how do you return to a past that doesn't exist" is like asking "how do you go to the bottom of the world and not fall off?"

If you think returning to the past is possible you MUST believe it can be stored somehow.

Not anymore than thinking that you can descend to the bottom of the world requires believing that they have a gravity-reversal apparatus in Australia. You objection only makes sense if we accept as fact that there is universal linear time, just like mine only makes sense if we accept that there is a universal "down".

If the past is not stored, and there is no evidence it is, then it is impossible for a human existing in the present to return to it.

To believe the past is stored in the absence of any evidence is a religious belief, a faith. A person can have faith the past still exists stored somehow, a religious belief, but not rational belief.

To believe that Australians have a gravity-reversal engine is not a rational belief. To believe that they'd need one in the first place in order not to fall of is symptomatic of an understanding of the surface of the Earth, and the concepts of "up" and "down", that's over 2000 years out of date. Similarly believing that a past is "stored somehow" may well be irrational, but claiming that this is a prerequisite for time travel is symptomatic of an understanding of the nature of space-time, of the past, present and future, that's over 100 years out of date.

A slightly different NOW for every observer. A slightly bumpy present.

Present, past and future are no more universal than up and down. In order to demonstrate that the earth is not flat, it is sufficient to show that Vienna's "Up" is off 4.3° from Munich's "Up". A "slightly bumpy" present is all that's needed to discard linear absolute time, just like a slightly off "Up" is all that's needed to discard the idea of a universal up and down.

So what?

Not evidence in any way a human stuck in their present can return to some past configuration of the universe or that past configurations are stored forever.

Yes, and the area of my backyard can be perfectly measured by pretending the earth is flat. That doesn't make the earth flat.

Two observers talking to each other may a have a slightly different present but it can't be very different

That's true, given our current technology. Until the telephone was invented, it was also true that two observers talking to each other necessarily had the same "Up", to within the measurement error. We can't shout loud enough to be heard on the other side of the globe, or even just a couple dozen miles away, and we can't travel fast enough for relativistic effects to become massive. That's on us though, not on the universe. Two observers standing at opposite ends of my backyard have pretty much the same "Up" and the same "Down" even today. That doesn't exactly prove the earth is flat. And neither does time looking very similar for any two human observers who communicate with each other using current technology while both sit on (and travel with) the earth, solar system, milky way on its path through the universe show that time is in fact linear and absolute.

and it is not evidence in any way that anything but a present exists that is slightly different for all observers.

It's evidence that "the" present doesn't exist.

A present that is not perfectly smooth is not evidence that all past configurations of the universe are stored.

Sure, and if I demonstrate you that the curvature of the Earth is measurable even between Vienna and Munich, you're going to tell me the surface is just bumby, that's not evidence that Australians have gravity-reversal technology?

Last edited:
"If we get to bring warm clothes, it'd be a breeze" is what you said and what I replied to. Dumping that claim now?

I also said that I'd likely die. I still think the exposure will be a bigger problem than food.

The Cretaceous was hot. Exposure wouldn't be a problem in most of the world. Average ocean surface temperatures were around 35°C (vs around 17°C today). You could probably add 10-15°C to modern land temperatures to get a rough guesstimate of likely weather. Heatstroke would be more of a threat than exposure.

I didn't realise just how warm it was. I looked it up. Thanks for the education. I have learned something new today.

I retract my statements about dying of exposure. Probably not a problem.

Thinking back on this thread. I would probably be better at surviving than I've let on. I've gone on survivalist courses. It was long ago now. But I suspect I'd actually do a better job if put in the situation. Physically I'm in excellent shape and used to physically pushing my body to it's limits. Which I suspect is a good thing to have. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be totally hopeless. Certainly not if I have a knife and a pot to cook things in.

I also suspect that large dinosaurs would be about as rare in the forests as any apex mammalian predator. So not a major problem with avoiding.

The Cretaceous was hot. Exposure wouldn't be a problem in most of the world. Average ocean surface temperatures were around 35°C (vs around 17°C today). You could probably add 10-15°C to modern land temperatures to get a rough guesstimate of likely weather. Heatstroke would be more of a threat than exposure.

I didn't realise just how warm it was. I looked it up. Thanks for the education. I have learned something new today.

I retract my statements about dying of exposure. Probably not a problem.

Thinking back on this thread. I would probably be better at surviving than I've let on. I've gone on survivalist courses. It was long ago now. But I suspect I'd actually do a better job if put in the situation. Physically I'm in excellent shape and used to physically pushing my body to it's limits. Which I suspect is a good thing to have. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be totally hopeless. Certainly not if I have a knife and a pot to cook things in.

I also suspect that large dinosaurs would be about as rare in the forests as any apex mammalian predator. So not a major problem with avoiding.

I still believe there's a double digit chance of poisoning myself if I munch on random fruits, nuts and greens I've never seen before in a tropical rainforest - even today. Even a psychotropic plant that isn't directly lethal can kill you if it makes you unable to watch out for predators, or gives you cravings to eat anything and everything (even things you haven't tested before, or which you've experienced to give you nausea, in large quantities) or drink visibly dirty water.

Large predators are rare everywhere, they're not going to be your biggest problem in any environment.

You are deeply and sadly mistaken. Your words are unsupported assertions. As usual.

You have no arguments as usual.

Religious faith is believing fantastic things without any evidence to believe them. Whether you understand that or not.

Nobody in this thread has suggested that it is. Or (apart from you) even that there is such an entity as a 'scientific fact'. Anything that has not been ruled out is possible. The only way to eliminate it as possible is to demonstrate its impossibility. Mere assertion is pointless, meaningless, and valueless.

The flying spaghetti monster has not been ruled out as a possibility.

According to your delusion we accept the flying spaghetti monster as a real possibility until proven otherwise.

Religious delusion.

Speculation is the lifeblood of science. Declaring something to be impossible, without observational evidence that it is impossible, is as unscientific as it gets.

To you the flying spaghetti monster is totally possible.

You are deluded.

@untermensche - does it ever bother you that the exact same reasoning you're demonstrating here can be used to support a flat earth, by just exchanging a few words?

Are you saying there is absolutely no evidence of a somewhat spherical Earth?

Really?

You don't. The past exists as part of the space-time continuum.

That is a wild claim that would require extraordinary and clear evidence for any rational person to believe.

Asking "how do you return to a past that doesn't exist" is like asking "how do you go to the bottom of the world and not fall off?"

No it is not.

There is not a shred of evidence the past exists somehow.

How long will the past exist?

A "slightly bumpy" present is all that's needed to discard linear absolute time, just like a slightly off "Up" is all that's needed to discard the idea of a universal up and down.

No. It just means the present that exists is slightly bumpy.

It does not mean that anything besides a bumpy present exists.

Time is directional even if observers are separate entities that have slightly different "nows". All observers move forward in time and there is not any evidence an observer could possibly move backwards in time.

It's evidence that "the" present doesn't exist.

ALL observers ONLY experience a present. NONE can move backwards in time.

The present is all that can possibly exist for an observer.

And claims to the contrary are extraordinary and would require very strong evidence to not be discarded as mere silly delusion.

It might be an urban myth, but I believe I've read somewhere that in medieval Europe (where, contrary to a common misconception, it was in fact well known that the world was round and "down" the direction of the centre), they had this popular idea that it would nonetheless be impossible to reach the southern hemisphere because they estimated that the oceans would be literally boiling in the tropics, thus the journey would not be survivable.

We are a bit like those educated medieval Europeans as far as time travel is concerned: We know that time is not linear, that the past is as real as the present. What we don't know and can only speculate about is whether looping through time is possible and/or survivable for macroscopic entities like ourselves.

untermensche is like the village idiot screaming that our discussion is void because the Earth is flat, he's seen it with his own eyes, and even if it weren't we'd fall off on the other side.

There is plenty of evidence of a somewhat spherical Earth.

There is also plenty of evidence of non-linear, non-absolute time.

Welcome to the 20th century.

No. It just means the present that exists is slightly bumpy..

A "slightly bumpy" present is impossible under the parameters you've lined out. You keep saying that the only thing that is is the present. If events that are in our past are nonetheless in the present for a contemporary Andromedan, then one of us has to be the victim of an illusion. If it weren't so, the same event can both be real/exist and not exist, which is a contradiction.

Every claim Einstein made was tested before it was believed.

One of those claims that was tested and found to be a better match to reality than our naive understanding of it is the claim that time is not linear and universal.

But Einstein is not an infallible god.

NONE of his claims are accepted on mere faith.

Einstein was famous for getting QM wrong.

He got a few things right.

His genius is not questioned but all human geniuses have limitations.

Time is only non-absolute when observers are involved.

You are over there and I am here.

We have a different position in space. So what?

We have a slightly different "now" because "now" is an experience of the universe. We are distinct separate entities. Distinct observers.

So what?

It does not prove in any way that any of my past "nows" exist or any of your past "nows" exist.

It is a fantastic claim to say an observer could possibly move backwards in time.

From what is this claim derived?

It is a fantastic claim to say an observer could possibly move backwards in time.

It's a fantastic claim to say that an observer could possibly move to the bottom of the world and not fall off.

(And how am I doing?)

We have a slightly different "now" because "now" is an experience of the universe. We are distinct separate entities. Distinct observers.

So what?

It does not prove in any way that any of my past "nows" exist or any of your past "nows" exist.

So you're making the positive claim that an absolute, universal timeline exists, that there is 3-dimensional slice of space-time that is objectively real that can be called the Now, that any points of space-time that fall outside that slice do not exist, and that any observation deviating therefrom is essentially the product of an optical illusion?

They tried and failed to make the world work with assumptions like these. They gave up around the year 1900. Are you saying that the last 130 years of physics are a scam, that some of the ideas (which ones?) that were floating around in the late 19th century and discarded because people just couldn't get the details right are actually correct, and that you know better than all of science what time and space are really like by just employing Common Sense (tm)? That your intuition trumps rigorous mathematical derivations and repeatable experiments?

How is this not an extraordinary claim?

It's a fantastic claim to say that an observer could possibly move to the bottom of the world and not fall off.

(And how am I doing?)

It is an easily testable claim to move to any part of the world and see what happens.

From where does the claim that an observer could possible move backwards in time come from?

It is like a claim an observer could possibly move their arms real fast and fly to Mars.

So what?

So you're making the positive claim that an absolute, universal timeline exists

No. That which can be examined and observed or detected in some way exists.

Every claim Einstein made was tested before it was believed.

One of those claims that was tested and found to be a better match to reality than our naive understanding of it is the claim that time is not linear and universal.

Sure, he was no God. One of the things he did get right though, as confirmed by repeated observation, is that absolute time is an illusion.

I'm going to tell you something you didn't know: Your genius has limitations too. Even more shocking: You are no God.

Sure, he was no God. One of the things he did get right though, as confirmed by repeated observation, is that absolute time is an illusion.

I'm going to tell you something you didn't know: Your genius has limitations too. Even more shocking: You are no God.

I am a mere skeptic and I see some who claim to be scientists making claims that have no evidence to believe them. Like it is possible for an observer to move backwards in time.

And you mean absolute time between observers is an illusion.

That does not mean in any way that the past of any observer still exists or it is possible for any observer to move into the past.

I am a mere skeptic and I see some who claim to be scientists making claims that have no evidence to believe them. Like it is possible for an observer to move backwards in time.

And you mean absolute time between observers is an illusion.

That does not mean in any way that the past of any observer still exists or it is possible for any observer to move into the past.
You,'re in North America, I'm in Europe, bilby's in Australia. We move along three slightly different vectors dur to the earth's rotation (though relative to the sun, the centre of the galaxy, or other galaxies, our movement is dominated by earth's orbit around the sun, the sun's orbit around the centre of the galaxy, and the Milky Way's movement in intergalactic space). This means that parts of your present are in bilby's past or in my future. That means in turn that if your present is real, so is my future and bilby's past. Denying this is tantamount to claiming ether exists, a theory that was discarded over a hundred years ago because it conflicts with observations. If you have made any new observations that would force us to discard the theory of relativity and instead suggest a modified version of ether theory, the 2025 Nobel prize in physics is yours. That's if you can be bothered to write them up. Being an arrogant asshole on a message board doesn't earn you any prizes.

(And how am I doing?)

It is an easily testable claim to move to any part of the world and see what happens.

I have been on intercontinental flights. At no point did the the plane dip down, and when I arrived, up was still up and down was still down. Therefore, the Earth is flat, Einstein was a scamster, and absolute time exists.

Or something.

This means that parts of your present are in bilby's past or in my future.

No part of my past is in any other observers past present or future.

My past is observation from a unique frame of reference that no other observer has access to.

If he can observe me then the experience of me is in his present.

The fact that each observer has a slightly different perspective in time is no more surprising than each observer having a different perspective in space.

But having a different perspective in space does not mean space as it existed in the past still exists.

That means in turn that if your present is real, so is my future and bilby's past.

We are all observing the same reality from a different perspective with different forces acting upon us.

But what is real is that which can be apprehended in the present by any observer.

My past is not real to you.

Denying this is tantamount to claiming ether exists

I deny you can experience my past. Or my past is part of your past present or future.

And I deny the possibility that any observer can move to some previous configuration of the universe.

All observers experience time as a vector pointing in one direction. We call that direction the future.

There is no evidence an observer can escape this vector motion.

It is not a scientific claim that an observer can move backward in time or escape the movement of time towards the future.

Back
Top Bottom