• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

You find yourself in the cretaceous

This is not even addressing the absurd notion that the configurations of matter/energy in the past exist somewhere so you can return to them.

The configurations of matter/energy in the past are gone. Gone forever.

They are not out there floating around in some other dimension.

That is too absurd to even imagine an adult could believe it.

Einstein would tend to disagree with your understanding of 'reality'.

Albert Einstein once wrote: People like us who believe in physics know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. Time, in other words, he said, is an illusion. ...

Past, present, and future all exist in uncle Al's block universe.

When Einstein gets here I'll discuss it with him.

Why do you think he would want to discuss it with you if he were still alive? I would think that he would prefer to discuss it with someone familiar with physics.

You can't add or subtract from the totality of matter/energy in the universe.

Taking an atom from today into the past is adding to the totality of matter/energy in the universe. Impossible.

Saying you can just get rid of the atom in the past is claiming to be able to subtract from the totality of matter/energy in the past. Also impossible.

Fantasy. Not science or any potential science.

Why not just 'get rid of' it by bringing it now?

Even if I were to accept your objection (which I don't despite the overwhelming evidence of both "nuh" AND "-uh" that you have presented), what stops your time machine from simply bringing back an equal quantity of mass/energy to the future, to balance the books?

I did not invent the idea that there is a totality of matter/energy in the universe that can't be added to or subtracted from by humans.

You assume the past is out there somewhere and there is some way to get there.

More total absurdities.

The past is just a different configuration of the matter/energy in the present.

It is not out there anywhere.

Everything that made up the past is still here. It isn't somewhere else also.

No. But it is someWHEN else, so your objection is just silly.

This is not even addressing the absurd notion that the configurations of matter/energy in the past exist somewhere so you can return to them.

The configurations of matter/energy in the past are gone. Gone forever.

They are not out there floating around in some other dimension.

That is too absurd to even imagine an adult could believe it.

Albert Einstein once wrote: People like us who believe in physics know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. Time, in other words, he said, is an illusion. ...

Science is more than conjecture.

Mere conjecture minus any data is not science at all.

You are claiming that all the configurations of matter/energy from the past are stored somehow.

The entire history of the universe is stored somehow and you can add matter/energy to the universe and enter this stored configuration.

Absurd nonsense with no evidence to support it.

Mere conjecture minus any evidence is not science in any way.

Why do you think he would want to discuss it with you if he were still alive? I would think that he would prefer to discuss it with someone familiar with physics.

You are like the child that learned something yesterday and thinks you are the only person that knows it.

The past is merely a different configuration of the matter/energy that makes up the present.

It isn't out there "somewhen".

It isn't stored like a movie so humans can return to it. Not only return to it but change it.

Absurd nonsense that Einstein could not support with any data.

Could you give an example of that?
You are claiming that all the configurations of matter/energy from the past are stored somehow.

The entire history of the universe is stored somehow and you can add matter/energy to the universe and enter this stored configuration.

Absurd nonsense with no evidence to support it.
Great, thanks!
Mere conjecture minus any evidence is not science in any way.

Well demonstrated. Thanks again.

You are like the child that learned something yesterday and thinks you are the only person that knows it.

The past is merely a different configuration of the matter/energy that makes up the present.

It isn't out there "somewhen".
Of course it is. When else could it be?
It isn't stored like a movie so humans can return to it.
Nor are locations in space. My house isn't stored anywhere while I am at work; It just stays put.

And I can return to it with ease.
Not only return to it but change it.
Yeah, I pretty much figure that it can't be changed. Past, present or future, all are immutable.
Absurd nonsense that Einstein could not support with any data.

Could you give an example of that?

The conjecture that time could run backwards. That it is not unidirectional.

Empty conjecture. Not science.

The conjecture the configurations of matter/energy in the past are stored somehow and can be returned to.

The conjecture that human bodies could somehow be transported in some way to a configuration of matter/energy in the past.

The conjecture that the totality of matter/energy in the past could be added to by putting a human into a past configuration of matter/energy.

No I am not claiming that at all. According to Einstein's block universe, nothing is stored, it exists. Your illusion is that you are just now. In the block universe, you are everything from conception to death. If you could step into a higher dimension and look at you, you would see something like a long snaky worm winding through spacetime... birth on one end and death on the other. Your view of a now is what Einstein described as a stubbornly persistent illusion.

People live with illusions of reality. I remember describing the Apollo moon landing a week after it happened to a rural Vietnamese farmer. His reaction was that I was talking nonsense because his 'reality' was that the moon was only a light in the sky, not something that people could stand on.

No I am not claiming that at all. According to Einstein's block universe, nothing is stored, it exists. Your illusion is that you are just now. In the block universe, you are everything from conception to death. If you could step into a higher dimension and look at you, you would see something like a long snaky worm winding through spacetime... birth on one end and death on the other. Your view of a now is what Einstein described as a stubbornly persistent illusion.

People live with illusions of reality. I remember describing the Apollo moon landing a week after it happened to a rural Vietnamese farmer. His reaction was that I was talking nonsense because his 'reality' was that the moon was only a light in the sky, not something that people could stand on.

If both the present configuration of matter exists and so do all the previous configurations of matter that means the other configurations are stored somehow. To exist would mean to be stored somehow. Like a movie on a tape.

This is empty conjecture without a shred of evidence to support it.

Something derived from a model, which is an idealized abstracted approximation of reality. Not something derived from reality itself.

No data = not science.

Something derived from a model, which is an idealized abstracted approximation of reality. Not something derived from reality itself.

No data = not science.
And this is blind denial based only on the illusion that you have an understanding.

(People really can stand on the Moon.)

No data = not science.
And this is blind denial based only on the illusion that you have an understanding.

Moving through space is something we do constantly.

But when I move from Cleveland to Houston I am not still in Cleveland.

And there is not a shred of evidence of a person moving into the past as if the past is still there somehow.

You have no understanding of time travel.

It is a funny joke you think you do.

And there is not a shred of evidence of a person moving into the past as if the past is still there somehow.

Well I should. I am visiting 'your now' from several decades away.

Well I should. I am visiting your 'now' from several decades away.

You mean you have memory therefore the past is out there waiting to be returned to?

You mean you have memory therefore the past is out there waiting to be returned to?
No. That is not what I mean. I wrote what I mean.

I always liked the saying, "reality is not only stranger than you imagine, it is stranger than you can imagine" since I first heard it. Science is continually proving that it is. You seem to have your inflexible, fixed belief about reality so deny anything that you don't understand which is anything you don't already believe. That belief being wrong in many cases.

I always liked the saying, "reality is not only stranger than you imagine, it is stranger than you can imagine" since I first heard it. Science is continually proving that it is. You seem to have your inflexible, fixed belief about reality so deny anything that you don't understand which is anything you don't already believe. That belief being wrong in many cases.

You saying gibberish is not interesting then.

You are not visiting my now.

You can never visit my now. I am there.

Dude, I don't think anyone here is talking about going on some Rambo-eque hunting trip to the Cretaceous to, as you say, "shoot all the tyrannosaurs" and engage in some "boyish primeval power trip". They are talking about bringing a weapon as a means of defense. There's also a lot of tongue in cheek commentary here that you may be taking a little too seriously. And yes, a time traveler could put the future at risk by changing the timeline. That's true of a time travel trip to the past to, say, sit around and talk about world peace with Budda or Jesus. I think we can all agree that time travel to the past is just a really, really bad idea were it even possible. Fun to think about though.

Yes, it seems that no matter what you say, a different version pops up. If a gun is taken on an expedition for self defense against dangerous predators, there is sure to be a mindless massacre of T Rex.

You brought up the trappers and colonizers, DBT. Tell me, where are all the wolves? The bison? The beaver?

I'm questioning the point of this thread. If "what gun should I bring" is the only question you can think of with respect to the Cretaceous Period, it says more about you than it does about the ancient landscape in question.

You don’t have to bring a gun! It’s cool! Just tell us what you would do to survive. That’s all.

You brought up the trappers and colonizers, DBT. Tell me, where are all the wolves? The bison? The beaver?

I'm questioning the point of this thread. If "what gun should I bring" is the only question you can think of with respect to the Cretaceous Period, it says more about you than it does about the ancient landscape in question.

You don’t have to bring a gun! It’s cool! Just tell us what you would do to survive. That’s all.

Hey, if you want to talk about that then start your own thread!

Oh, wait. Never mind.

You saying gibberish is not interesting then.

You are not visiting my now.

You can never visit my now. I am there.

I can't believe I came all the way from 1970 for this horseshit.

Back
Top Bottom