• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Your metaphysical beliefs are a defense against existential anxiety - thought experiment

It was a few moments before I saw the metaphysical humour of your post bilby - I think Kant would have giggled over the idea of the noumenon disguising itself as the phenomenon -- or should that be the other way around?
I hope all my errors prove as fruitful.

migrant.

PS Would you settle for second best?

It was a few moments before I saw the metaphysical humour of your post bilby - I think Kant would have giggled over the idea of the noumenon disguising itself as the phenomenon -- or should that be the other way around?
I hope all my errors prove as fruitful.

migrant.

PS Would you settle for second best?

Bloody oath mate. It's Australia Day, and I've been on the piss since lunchtime. So I'm in a magnanimous frame of mind.

No Kant is going to upset me at this point in time.

I'll drink to that mate.

To sidle back onto the topic --
"Metaphysical beliefs" is an oxymoron.
Since the Metaphysical is beyond our physical senses, what's the sense in belief ?
Plenty of scope for blind faith though -- if you're really anxious, it seems a popular choice.

I haven't had enough opium to make your question clear fromderinside -- would you expect the metaphysical to make sense to the physical?
My own idea of belief is that it immunises me against subsequent data if it conflicts.
And requires a total understanding of the subject.
So I avoid it wherever possible. Ever tried to debate with a believer?
I'm a big fan of doubt, procrastination and general dithering.
It got me where I am today -- up the creek without a paddle.
And it's a very nice creek.

I haven't had enough opium to make your question clear fromderinside -- would you expect the metaphysical to make sense to the physical?
My own idea of belief is that it immunises me against subsequent data if it conflicts.
And requires a total understanding of the subject.
So I avoid it wherever possible. Ever tried to debate with a believer?
I'm a big fan of doubt, procrastination and general dithering.
It got me where I am today -- up the creek without a paddle.
And it's a very nice creek.

And the water ain't bad either...

Back
Top Bottom