• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

Curious, Lumpen, have you never talked to a Christian who is convinced that their theology claims some other "so called" christian is actually going to hell?

Ever?

Are you aware that they exist - in droves? Legions? Each saying the other does not "actually" have salvation?

There really isn't much of this. (Though I'm not sure how important this is.)

Give us a Christian website which says other Christian believers are actually going to Hell. You'll have difficulty finding them.

OK, I can think of 2 possible types you might mean:

1) Some traditionalists who condemn the "modernist" types as not true believers, and

2) Some who want to impose guilt feelings onto others they think are misbehaving.

These examples are a bit petty. Not to be taken too seriously.
Its not hard at all to find them, in fact I pointed out 2 Christian-bashing-other-Christians sites already back on page 16:
Man, you need to get out more.
Or find the thread about protesters at the Oklahoma Satanist Prayer event.
And all the Christains there to protest Satanism that ended up pointing fingers at other Christains who were all going to Hell for their heresies.
I'll make you a wager: Have someone take a survey at that church, asking them randomnly as they file out on Sunday morning, and I'll bet you $100 that most of them say they don't know.
I appear to have spoken to more Baptists that you over the years.
That church doesn't exist, but Baptists do.
I chose Southern Baptists because they tend to be quite certain about the Catholics and the Mormons being members of faiths that are all going to Hell.
Yep!!!! Lumpy has obviously not spent much time around even a few evangelicals/fundamentalists. I personally spent about 6 years within an independent Baptist Church, that though was not part of the SBC, certainly considered that most of those lukewarm “Christians” (like those within the UMC and the ELCA) to be disgustingly lukewarm, and their God would spit them out. The funny part is that this conservative church is the one that finally got me to think for myself, and figure out the BS.

A noted pre-Vatican II traditionalist RC father:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/SCRIPTUR/EXTRAECC.TXT
NO SALVATION OUTSIDE THE CHURCH

by Fr. William Most

It is a defined doctrine that there is no salvation outside the Church. Yet, as the Holy Office pointed out in condemning L. Feeney (DS 3866) we must understand this the way the Church means it, not by private interpretation.

Can you guess which horrendous sect, this hardcore evangelical is getting ready to identify ROTFLMAO....
http://www.reachingcatholics.org/cult-cult.html
For decades evangelicals have diligently and faithfully attempted to identify, analyze and warn the church against cults. Included in the standard list are Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Unity School of Christianity, Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church, etc. Yet the most seductive, dangerous and largest cult (many times larger than all of the rest combined) is not included in the list! Most cult experts refuse to identify this horrendous cult as such! Instead, they accept it as "Christian."
But they probably only make up something along the lines of 10-15% of the Christian world. Yet, at the same time, a larger minority doesn't even believe in your Sky Beast's torture chamber.

From this PDF link, only 73% of Christians even believe in any form of hell:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WdCubGe55Yr1w0A&bvm=bv.84607526,d.cGU&cad=rja.

Never mind that most Christians don't even think your demigod is the only path:
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/colu...istians-really-believe-what-weve-preached.ece
Other polls confirm it. In a religion survey conducted by Baylor University, only 27 percent of Protestants said their faith was the only path to salvation.

Wish, Wash, Rinse, Repeat…

Again? Really?

There's more. The epistles of Paul attest to the resurrection miracle. The epistle to the Hebrews makes a clear indirect reference to the miracles of Jesus (2:3-4).

Also Josephus and Tacitus confirm the historicity of Jesus, Tacitus confirming the crucifixion by order of Pontius Pilate.
You know repeating BS doesn’t make it any truer….

Josephus confirms what followers of the new cult were saying at best, even assuming Christian liars didn’t forge the entries.
Josephus was born roughly 5 years after Jesus purported death. So by the time he was an adult, Jesus had been dead for 2 decades. Never mind that the lengthier citation regarding Jesus blatantly reads as if it were written by someone smitten with the Jesus-god mythos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus
Scholarly opinion on the total or partial authenticity of the reference in Book 18, Chapter 3, 3 of the Antiquities, a passage that states that Jesus the Messiah was a wise teacher who was crucified by Pilate, usually called the Testimonium Flavianum, varies.[4][5][1] The general scholarly view is that while the Testimonium Flavianum is most likely not authentic in its entirety, it is broadly agreed upon that it originally consisted of an authentic nucleus, which was then subject to Christian expansion/alteration.

In post 211 you wrongly introduce Tacitus and Suetonius as witnesses to Jesus healing, and Tacitus witness his prosecution and his execution. Tacitus wasn’t born until 56AD, 2 decades after the events. His citation is from 116AD. Suetonius wasn’t born until 69AD, over 3 decades after the events. These 2 men are witnesses to the existence of Christians and Christian stories, not Jesus. This does help the notion that something akin to the modern day Gospels were in circulation at the start of the 2nd century.

And although the Q document is not known, we know about what it contained and that it existed early, probably in the 50s AD, and it mentions the miracles of Jesus.
You admit that this “Q” is not known, and then proceed to state you know what was in Q….wow, now that is a circle jerk if I ever saw one.

So there's more than just the 4 standard gospel accounts.
Wish, Wash, Rinse, Repeat…

Cultists repeating what they had been told to believe is confirmation of what?

If there was more than one Christian in the year 70 or 80 who knew how to write, wouldn't writing what they believed, what would be expected? Didn't the folks of the other religions do the same?

Apollonius, Peregrinus, and Alexander are three rather interesting religious founders about whom we know even more than we do of Jesus. The first, Apollonius of Tyana, is often called the "pagan Christ," since he also lived during the first century, and performed a similar ministry of miracle-working, preaching his own brand of ascetic Pythagoreanism--he was also viewed as the son of a god, resurrected the dead, ascended to heaven, performed various miracles, and criticized the authorities with pithy wisdom much like Jesus did.

Naturally, his story is one that no doubt grew into more and more fantastic legends over time, until he becomes an even more impressive miracle-worker than Jesus in the largest surviving work on him, The Life of Apollonius of Tyana, written by Philostratus around 220 A.D. This work is available today in two volumes as part of the Loeb Classical Library, published by Harvard University Press, a set that also includes the surviving fragments of Apollonius' own writings (if only Jesus had bothered to write something!) as well as the Treatise against him by the Christian historian Eusebius. There were other books written about him immediately after his death, but none survive.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/kooks.html

There's more. The epistles of Paul attest to the resurrection miracle. The epistle to the Hebrews makes a clear indirect reference to the miracles of Jesus (2:3-4).

Also Josephus and Tacitus confirm the historicity of Jesus, Tacitus confirming the crucifixion by order of Pontius Pilate.

And Ignatius of Antioch, writing around 100 AD, shows that the gospel of Matthew was then in circulation, because he makes reference to the otherwise unknown symbols of the virgin birth and the Star of Bethlehem. So the accounts we have were circulating by that time.

And although the Q document is not known, we know about what it contained and that it existed early, probably in the 50s AD, and it mentions the miracles of Jesus.

So there's more than just the 4 standard gospel accounts.

Sherlock Holmes otoh had four novels and 56 short stories. And he has plausibility on his side and an actual physical address. You would do better believing in Sherlock Holmes

Is his actual existence confirmed by any historian?

The reference to Christ in Tacitus cannot be mistaken as having any reference to a fictional or mythological character, because it cannot be said that a fictional character was ordered to be crucified by a Roman official.

First, let me thank you for a few things I observed in this post:

• It was brief. All of us really appreciate that.
  • The points you made were made very directly, which made it brief. But I appreciate it when folks make direct points rather than vague ones where it's difficult to know what they're on about.
  • You are attempting to support your assertions. I really appreciate that.

Having said that I disagree with pretty much every point you made. Here's why:

• It has already been conceded that the authentic Pauline epistles reference the death and resurrection of Jesus. That's a far cry from claiming that Jesus was a miracle worker. Or would you say that the story of Lazarus raising from the dead means Lazarus was a miracle worker?
  • The epistle to the Hebrews chapter 2:3-4 do not make reference to any miracles (or any other actions) of Jesus. It only makes mention of Jesus "speaking." The signs, wonders, miracles and gifts of the Holy Ghost were attributed to "them that heard him."
    Hebrews 2

:2 For if the word spoken by angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward;
    :3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
    :4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
  • The epistle to the Hebrews could have been written much later, but it's unlikely that it was written before A.D. 64, placing it well after the beginnings of the first of the Pauline epistles and well into the inevitable period of mythologization that would take place, and no less than 3 decades after the end of the claimed ministry of Jesus. So even if it told of many direct miracles performed by Jesus (which it doesn't) it is no more impressive a witness than GMark, as it too is completely anonymous, and evidence only of the fact that people were interested in this religious movement.
  • The epistle to the Hebrews seems to imply that there was still question as to whether or not Jesus was ever on Earth. Hebrews talks of Jesus "saying" things and people "hearing" him. Those people are the ones who do and who perform miracles. Hebrews doesn't appear to have been written at a time when people had begun to believe Jesus was an actual historical person who had recently lived on the Earth.
    Hebrews 8:4 For if he were on earth, he would not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
  • As has already been pointed out Josephus and Tacitus are not contemporaries of Jesus, and there aren't even many conservative scholars who would dare argue that the Testimonium Flavium is authentic.
  • The Q document is a theoretical one. Many good scholars persuasively argue that it is not necessary to explain the synoptic puzzle. It is only one of many possible scenarios. And even if it preceded GMark by 10 years, and even if it could be demonstrated that it contained anecdotes of miracles performed by Jesus (which is a lot of if's) it would still be almost 3 decades removed from the time frame of the allegations. It is a wretched thing to try to use as evidence.

[*] The epistle to the Hebrews could have been written much later, but it's unlikely that it was written before A.D. 64, placing it well after the beginnings of the first of the Pauline epistles and well into the inevitable period of mythologization that would take place, and no less than 3 decades after the end of the claimed ministry of Jesus. So even if it told of many direct miracles performed by Jesus (which it doesn't) it is no more impressive a witness than GMark, as it too is completely anonymous, and evidence only of the fact that people were interested in this religious movement.

I thought I would point out what the Oxford Annotated Bible (NRSV an Ecumenical Study Bible) has to say in the introduction to Hebrews, as this is hardly just us heathen correcting such blather:
“this New Testament writing can best be understood as an anonymous sermon written to encourage an early Christian community to continued faith and hope in the face of hardship. <snip> Modern interpreters have suggested other authors, including Apollos and Priscilla. There is not sufficient historical evidence, however, to prove that any person named in the New Testament was the author of Hebrews.
<snip>
The probable date of the work therefore falls somewhere in the range of 60 to 100 CE.
Ergo, most mainstream Christian theologians wouldn’t claim Paul wrote Hebrews.

Sherlock Holmes otoh had four novels and 56 short stories. And he has plausibility on his side and an actual physical address. You would do better believing in Sherlock Holmes

Is his actual existence confirmed by any historian?

The reference to Christ in Tacitus cannot be mistaken as having any reference to a fictional or mythological character, because it cannot be said that a fictional character was ordered to be crucified by a Roman official.

Just can't resist responding to this portion of the quoted post.

Just like Jesus, Sherlock Holmes' actual existence is not (to my knowledge) confirmed by any historian.

The reference to Jesus in Tacitus could very well have been a reference to a fictional character. Tacitus wasn't born until around 30 years after alleged crucifixion of Jesus, so he most certainly cannot be used as a primary source. By the time Tacitus wrote "Annals" (~110 A.D.) it is generally conceded that at a minimum GMark was in circulation, and as GMark originated in Rome where Tacitus lived it is quite plausible that Tacitus would be familiar with the claim that "Chreestus" had been sentenced to crucifixion by Pilate. This is a reasonable claim and there is no reason to believe Tacitus went to any trouble to verify whether it was true. Tacitus, therefore is evidence that there were people who believed this sentencing had taken place. But his reference is in no sense of the word evidence that it actually happened.

To put it into perspective, let's say that today I wrote a family history, and in it I included the tidbit that "In 1936 John D. Rockefeller gave my grandfather $500 after my grandfather told him a joke that made him laugh." Let's say this is something I'd heard my uncles talk about for years. Nobody wrote about it when it happened and I personally haven't met or talked to anyone who actually saw it. One of my cousins had written it down in her diary about 10 years ago, but she didn't see it for herself, nor did she talk to anyone who saw it either.

The claim seems like something that could have happened. Rockefeller was still around in 1936. He was known for giving away money capriciously in his later life. True, most of it was in the form of dimes and nickles, but perhaps every once in awhile he'd do something like this. My grandfather was certainly known for his wit and humor. On the other hand I have no evidence that my grandfather ever actually met Rockefeller, let alone received what at that time would have been such a substantial windfall.

At best my statement is only evidence that some people believe Rockefeller gave my grandfather the money. It is not evidence that the transaction actually took place. A dated receipt or an itemized line in a tax write-off would be evidence. My statement, 80 years removed from the incident in question, would not ever be considered evidence of anything other than what some people believed.

We know that by 110 A.D. some people believed that Jesus had been sentenced to crucifixion by Pilate. We'd know that without Tacitus writing it in his annals. Tacitus, writing 80 years removed from the events in question is no better evidence than the hypothetical encounter between my grandfather and Rockefeller. He writes about what is believed, not what is in evidence.

At best my statement is only evidence that some people believe Rockefeller gave my grandfather the money. It is not evidence that the transaction actually took place.
Similarly, my great grandmother grew up on a reservation and decided it would be cool to have Indian blood. She told people this her entire life. We just accept it and when reciting our ancestry, said: German, English, Scottish, more Germans, Cherokee.
It wasn't until someone tried to research the family tree that we found out there was no evidence for that claim.

Lumpy builds up nice chains of supposition to show how his desired claims COULD be true.
But it's the evidence that matters, and he isn't showing any.

More about Hebrews

In the interest of fairness I'd like to admit that I was wrong about one point I made regarding the book of Hebrews:

Atheos said:
Hebrews doesn't appear to have been written at a time when people had begun to believe Jesus was an actual historical person who had recently lived on the Earth.

This is not entirely correct. I went to the trouble of reading the entire book, openmindedly letting it speak to me about what the writer wished to convey about Jesus.

It would appear that by the time this book was written there was, indeed, the developing belief that Jesus had lived as an historical person.

Heb 2:14-18 says that just as "the children" are partakers of flesh and blood Jesus took flesh and blood upon himself. It also says that he "took upon him the seed of Abraham" and that he was tempted.

Heb 4:15 claims that Jesus was "tempted in all points like as we are, yet without sin."

As far as I can tell this is the extent of the book's implications that Jesus was an actual person who lived on earth. And to be honest the quote from Heb 4 doesn't require Jesus to have lived on earth in order to experience the temptations. It would be theoretically possible for Jesus to experience the temptations by proxy through some sort of Vulcan mind meld. Suggesting that Jesus absolutely had to be on earth to experience temptation in "all points as we" is to open up a whole can of worms as to whether or not he had to be tempted with the very specific circumstances of people who are gay, people who are female, etc. All means all, and that encompasses a lot that couldn't be covered in a single lifetime living as a male peasant in the 1st century.

So, having confessed the error in my statement earlier I am now better prepared to defend what remains. What remains is a book that never mentions anything Jesus did, never mentions anything he said to anyone and never reports a single miracle he supposedly performed. It talks of what was done to him (being tempted, being killed, being raised from the dead, being exalted). It talks of what he didn't do (namely yield to temptation). But the things it describes that appear to be activities he performed are all written metaphorically, as him performing the duty of a high priest by offering blood for the sins of the people.

Hebrews 11 would be an absolutely perfect place for the author of Hebrews to extol the virtues of at least one extraordinary thing Jesus did and compare it to the other examples brought up. Through faith Abel offered a more excellent sacrifice, Enoch was translated, Noah built the ark and Abraham offered up Isaac. Through faith Isaac blessed Jacob, Jacob blessed his sons and Joseph made some weird burial arrangements. Through faith Moses did all the crap he did. Joshua did the trumpet thing. Rahab the harlot played her role. On and on he goes, glossing over Gideon, Samuel, David, Solomon, etc. What a perfect time to say "And by faith Jesus healed countless people of their illnesses, walked on water, calmed storms, turned water into wine, raised people from death and fed thousands of people with only enough food for a few people."

I know that absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence. But the deafening silence on the part of the Hebrew writer at this juncture in the lesson speaks volumes. Jesus could have been the perfect capstone to this cavalcade of faith had the legends developed by the time Hebrews was written so that these anecdotes could be referenced. Yes the writer says "Time would fail me to talk of Gideon, Barak, Samson, etc." But c'mon. He could have left out that naughty bit about Rahab the Harlot and filled that space directing everyone's attention to the impressive manner in which Jesus trumped all of the rest. He could have, but he didn't. This would be quite expected were all these details about Jesus's life unknown at the point of the writing. If they were known their absence in this context is blindingly difficult to rationalize.

Senator Bentsen to Asclepius: "YOU'RE NO JESUS CHRIST!"

Just come across a thought provoking reason!
Throughout nearly all of antiquity, the legendary Greek physician, Asclepius, son of Apollo and Coronis, was not only the primary representative of divine healing, but also so influential in the religious life of later centuries that, as Emma J. Edelstein and Ludwig Edelstein point out, "in the final stages of paganism, of all genuinely Greek gods, [he] was judged the foremost antagonist of Christ."

It took probably more than 1000 years for the Asclepius legend to evolve. This probably began with a real historical figure far back in antiquity, who probably did some normal healing, and he had some success and gained a favorable reputation. Mythologizing began to take place, probably generations later, and over the centuries a healing god cult resulted.

The key to this hero legend getting started and succeeding is that the original historical figure had a good reputation as a normal healer, and some thought he was very special. This is how real legends begin -- you must have something real to start with. You can't just make up some fictional character and expect anyone to believe in him, like some imagine Paul invented Jesus and somehow got people to worship him.

Worshipers believed in Asclepius, initially as a good healer, a normal human with talent, and over generations of his reputation expanding, long after he had passed, they began to make him into a super-human, prayed to him, temples were built, after those centuries in which the legend had time to evolve. As with all healing legends, stories were recorded when the praying was followed by a recovery from an affliction -- the hits -- and when no healing occurred, nothing was recorded. Only the hits are recorded and not the misses.

But before the worshipers could believe in this god and pray at his temple and claim to be healed, that god had to have a widespread reputation, which required those centuries of mythologizing to happen first. No one worshiped a healing god which did not first have a wide reputation as a healing god.

Still no one has explained how Jesus could have gained such a reputation, having had a public career of less than 3 years, and then being mythologized into a healing god in only 20 or 30 years. There is no other example of this. The fact that you can only come up with examples like Asclepius proves that the case of Jesus, who could not be a product of mythologizing, is unique and stands far apart from the mythical healing gods which can be explained as a result of mythologizing.

Providing an overview of all facets of the Asclepius phenomenon, this book, first published in two volumes in 1945, comprises a unique collection of the literary references and inscriptions in ancient texts—given in both the original and translation—to the deity, his life, his deeds, his cult, and his temples, as well as an extended analysis of them.

All those texts are inscriptions not written until many centuries after the historical figure existed (if he existed) and which accumulated over centuries of worshiping this deity, who became firmly established in the culture with the long tradition of legends stretching back more than 1000 years. It is ludicrous to compare this to the case of Jesus, who was an historical figure for whom there are written accounts of his healing miracles within only a few decades from his life.

It is easy to explain how such a hero figure is mythologized as Asclepius was even though no real miracle healings actually took place. But the 1st-century Jesus healer cannot be explained this way.

Mythologizing began to take place, probably generations later, and over the centuries a healing god cult resulted.
Now, just come up with some evidence that it took generations for mythologizing?
I mean, it's possible that the mythologizing took place in ten years and that's the story that was transmitted over time, right?

It's crucial to your claims that mythologizing CANNOT take place in ten, twenty, thirty years. Show this to be a fact.
You seem to feel that the amount of time it takes to write something down is proportional to the lies/fiction/myths added to the account. Just observing modern humanity shows us this is not a requirement.
Why would humans have been different in the Before Time?

It is ludicrous to compare this to the case of Jesus, who was an historical figure for whom there are written accounts of his healing miracles within only a few decades from his life.
It's ludicrous to presuppose Jesus was historical while trying to establish his historicity. Real historians try not to do that, Lumpy.
That's why your methodology sucks.

Worshipers believed in Asclepius, initially as a good healer, a normal human with talent, and over generations of his reputation expanding, long after he had passed, they began to make him into a super-human, prayed to him, temples were built, after those centuries in which the legend had time to evolve. .
Prove this.
Provide the date when Asclepius lived and provide evidence that initial 'worshipers ' only saw him as a human with talent.
Show the timeline, with quotations from believers, that establish it was that slow, lingering, multi-generational process. That the lies and exaggerations followed this development path.
Further, show evidence to establish that all mythologies follow this pattern, that there's an upper limit to the human ability to aggrandize a story over a given amount of time.

Without that evidence, this is merely a story you want to tell. And thus, your objections to anyone who thinks the tales of Jesus are fictional is merely flapping your yap.

Lumpenproletariat's most recent post is filled with the word "probably" to an embarrassing extent. He has provided absolutely no evidence for his assertions, only bluster.

But for sake of argument let's say it did take 1000 years for Asclepius to go from a human being who gained a reputation as a successful physician to a god-man who could miraculously cure all manner of diseases and even raise dead people back to life.

The point is that by the time Jesus-come-lately had arrived that was the standard by which a healing god-man would be judged. People wanting to sell Jesus as a great healer would never be able to settle for him being second-rate to a healing god people had known about for centuries. Jesus would immediately get everything Asclepius had. Anything less would be like Apple announcing tomorrow that they were going to put a new personal computer on the market that had 64K of RAM, not one but two floppy drives capable of storing over 180,000 bytes of data on a single 5.25" disk and 16 color graphics at 320x200 resolution.

Even Krishna had his witnesses as recorded by the Mahabarata:

The Mahabharata also narrates the story of a hunter who becomes an instrument for Krishna's departure from the world. The hunter Jara, mistook Krishna's partly visible left foot for that of a deer, and shot an arrow, wounding him mortally. After he realised the mistake, While still bleeding, Krishna told Jara, "O Jara, you were Bali in your previous birth, killed by myself as Rama in Tretayuga. Here you had a chance to even it and since all acts in this world are done as desired by me, you need not worry for this". Then Krishna, with his physical body[82] ascended back to his eternal abode, Goloka vrindavan and this event marks departure of Krishna from the earth.[83][84][85] The news was conveyed to Hastinapur and Dwaraka by eyewitnesses to this event.[82]
From Wikipedia's article on Krishna. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna#Later_life

The key to this hero legend getting started and succeeding is that the original historical figure had a good reputation as a normal healer, and some thought he was very special. This is how real legends begin -- you must have something real to start with. You can't just make up some fictional character and expect anyone to believe in him, like some imagine Paul invented Jesus and somehow got people to worship him.

That's nice to know. Evidently  J. Z. Knight, who between 1975 and the early 1980's fabricated a character named "Ramtha" with absolutely no basis in history was not able to convince millions of people that she was "channeling" Ramtha. Obviously she was unable to make millions of dollars through books, DVD's, personal appearances, an appearance in the movie "What the Bleep Do We Know?" and her "Ramtha's School of Enlightenment." It's nice to know that she wasn't able to do this, because you just can't make up some fictional character and expect anyone to believe in him.

That's nice to know. Evidently  J. Z. Knight, who between 1975 and the early 1980's fabricated a character named "Ramtha" with absolutely no basis in history was not able to convince millions of people that she was "channeling" Ramtha. Obviously she was unable to make millions of dollars through books, DVD's, personal appearances, an appearance in the movie "What the Bleep Do We Know?" and her "Ramtha's School of Enlightenment." It's nice to know that she wasn't able to do this, because you just can't make up some fictional character and expect anyone to believe in him.

Here's another:

The Carlos Hoax

"Carlos" was the name of a 2,000-year-old spirit allegedly channeled by José Alvarez when he toured Australia in 1988. Channeling was all the rage in Australia and an Australian television program contacted James Randi about finding someone who might show Australians that channeling was something doubtful. Randi approached Alvarez, a performance artist and friend who had long toyed with the idea of creating such a character. The rest, as they say, is history.

My favorite part:

Even after it [the hoax] was all revealed on the Australian Sixty Minutes TV show, a week after the Opera House appearance, many continued to believe in "Carlos" and his uninspired messages.

You know, some time ago, a poster said
The Bible is a source of information about the real world. One can reasonably believe in Christ, using the Bible/N.T. as a source, regardless whether this source is 100% accurate. To disprove Christian faith you must prove that there is no reliable contact to the Christ figure of 2000 years ago, i.e., that the N.T. is unreliable to provide to us any reliable knowledge of him.

Then Lumpy runs in and says things like:

Did the actual historical person Jesus speak these words? This text makes sense as a rebuke by some believers against others many decades later, no sooner than 50 AD, when there were many followers and believers who identified with Christ... Most or even all the "Sermon on the Mount" sayings can be understood best as words put into the mouth of Jesus decades later.
it seems to me that Lumpy has taken up the first posters' challenge. Every time he finds some part of the Gospels that, to him, seem to be unreliable as far as divining Jesus true actions and quotes, it seems to make the rest of the gospels unreliable.
Lumpy is hard at work providing the evidence that "that there is no reliable contact to the Christ figure of 2000 years ago, i.e., that the N.T. is unreliable to provide to us any reliable knowledge of him."
Note, the first poster didn't ask that we can prove it's not even possibly a quote from Jesus....just that it's not a 'reliable' quote. And as Lumpy shows, the fact is, sadly, that we don't know who wrote the gospels, or when, or what parts are original to eyewitnesses or later interpolators.

That makes the whole work unreliable...
Thus Lumpy disproves Christainity.

You know, some time ago, a poster said

Then Lumpy runs in and says things like:

Did the actual historical person Jesus speak these words? This text makes sense as a rebuke by some believers against others many decades later, no sooner than 50 AD, when there were many followers and believers who identified with Christ... Most or even all the "Sermon on the Mount" sayings can be understood best as words put into the mouth of Jesus decades later.
it seems to me that Lumpy has taken up the first posters' challenge. Every time he finds some part of the Gospels that, to him, seem to be unreliable as far as divining Jesus true actions and quotes, it seems to make the rest of the gospels unreliable.
What the Zeus? Gads, another bizarre redaction of the NT. Now most of the intent of the Sermon of the Mount can also be found distributed within Luke as well. So Lumpy seems to be redacting the NT to GMark (minus the forged ending of course), Acts, and Paul’s letters (even the pseudonym ones so it seems, like with Hebrews). Never mind his dumping of much of the grand miracles of the Tanakh. The funny thing is that his theology seems to be not too far from what we understand of Marcion.

Lumpy is hard at work providing the evidence that "that there is no reliable contact to the Christ figure of 2000 years ago, i.e., that the N.T. is unreliable to provide to us any reliable knowledge of him."
Note, the first poster didn't ask that we can prove it's not even possibly a quote from Jesus....just that it's not a 'reliable' quote. And as Lumpy shows, the fact is, sadly, that we don't know who wrote the gospels, or when, or what parts are original to eyewitnesses or later interpolators.

That makes the whole work unreliable...
Thus Lumpy disproves Christainity.
Yup...but each one is sure they are right ;)

Why aren't the gospel accounts reliable as evidence for the reported events?

Some Bible miracle stories don't meet the proper rigid standard. Partly for lack of eye witnesses, and some other reasons too. But the Jesus healing stories meet a high standard.

Really? Then you will have no problem in pointing us to solid evidence from a source other than the Bible.
Really? Then you will have no problem in pointing us to solid evidence from a source other than the Bible.

The fact that these sources were assembled into one collection 200 years later does not change the fact that they are multiple sources. There are multiple authors/writers coming from different backgrounds and each having a different interpretation.

Since it's appropriate to rely on one source only for normal events, why isn't it appropriate in the case of "miracle" stories to rely on 2 or 3 or 4 sources?

You are clearly incapable of determining what is or is not a source, and what is or is not independent. If there were 2, 3 or 4 INDEPENDENT stories of Jesus's miracles, then they might be worth further investigation . . .

Though they are collections of earlier accounts of the events, that does not change the fact that they are separate "independent" accounts. The fact that there is overlapping of the sources they use does not mean these collections are not independent.

Of course. That something builds on the same information doesn't mean that they are dependent...

Yeah right...

But then, in this sense, "independent" is not good. What is important is if the accounts are credible, or truthful. But an "independent" account, in the extreme sense you're now demanding, would be one where the author fabricates his own account without any regard for the truth. Whereas an author who is trying to report to us what really happened would rely on earlier accounts as much as possible. I.e., he would be "dependent" on earlier sources.

So in the extreme sense of an "independent" source where the author fabricates his own story "independent" of the truth or the recorded or remembered facts that happened earlier -- in that sense you're right, the "gospel" accounts are not "independent" -- nor should we demand such independence. . . .

Some "dependence" on earlier sources is beneficial in terms of credibility. This reliance means that the compilers are basing their document mainly on earlier accounts from those who were closer to the actual events. This increases the document's reliability.

However, these collections, the "gospel" accounts, are independent from each other in the proper less extreme sense. Some use of Mark by Mt and Lk does not change the fact that each compiler or redactor produced his own total account independently of the others, in that there was no collaboration between them, and each one was free to introduce something further if it was important.

What kind of "independence" do you demand from these writers, or from these "gospel" accounts, that would make them more credible than they are in this form that we have them?

'Now' demanding? Hilarious.

Yes, demanding that we rely on sources or writers who refused to use any earlier sources for their own report. Why are you finding fault with any source that uses earlier sources, i.e., "demanding" that we use sources that reject any previous source? Why are you insisting that a report is invalid or illegitimate or unreliable if it relies partly on earlier sources? The gospel accounts are legitimate sources for information about what happened, just as other sources are legitimate. And that they relied on earlier sources does not undermine their reliability.

How does it undermine their reliability? So Matthew and Luke relied on the Q document -- so how does that undermine their reliability? You can say this makes them less "independent," but how is this dependence a bad thing? How does it undermine their reliability?

Why should we require sources that are independent of any earlier sources? Why can't these 2 gospel sources be just as reliable even though they have this reliance on an earlier report? How does this reliance or "dependence" make them less reliable or less credible?

You're trying to use parts of The Books in order to establish the historical accuracy of The Books.

By "The Books" you mean the Bible? Don't you understand that in the 1st century (and 2nd century) there was no such thing as "the Bible" or "The Books," but that the books in question, the gospel accounts, were separate documents? The 4 gospels were not the same book, or part of the same book, but were separate documents. These were separate sources, not all the same source. They were put together later into the one collection (the "Bible" or "New Testament"), but when they were first written they were separate documents, and thus separate sources.

That we have these 4 sources makes the overall account of the Jesus person more credible than if we had only one. This should not be difficult to figure out.

To be an "independent" source, it would be something where a known author was a contemporary of the events in question.

You're free to define "independent" that way if you wish. But there is nothing wrong with a source that is some generations separated from the events. We routinely rely on such sources, even on a source that is the one and only source for the events, and we accept this one source and believe the events reported, even though it's the only source and is 100 years or more separated from the events.

And a source doesn't have to be from a "known author" in order to be reliable or credible. There are varying degrees of credibility based on many factors, and whether an author is "known" is subjective, because often very little is really known other than maybe the name and approximately when or where he lived. You can't claim to "know" someone simply from knowing so little about him.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are reliable "independent" sources generally, and yet hardly anything is "known" about their authors. We don't have to know much or anything at all about the author in order to use the document as a guide to determine what happened.

Where it could be established that his source of Jesus stories was not an existing collection of Jesus stories.

What's wrong with relying on existing "stories"? Any historian who writes about something that happened 100 years earlier has to rely on existing "stories," doesn't he? What is he relying on if not earlier accounts or earlier records? or earlier oral reports, which are existing stories?

Don't we believe the Philostratus account of the life of Apollonius of Tyana? What was this based on if not existing "stories" or accounts from someone earlier? Much of the Tacitus accounts of Augustus and Tiberius comes only from Tacitus who wrote it nearly a century later and came from "existing stories" that Tacitus had access to. Why isn't it just as legitimate for the gospel writers to use "existing stories" for their information about Jesus as it was for Tacitus to rely on "existing stories" for his information about Tiberius?

Most of the historians we rely on did not witness the events they reported to us but got them from "existing stories" during their time.

And with the knowledge of who wrote the account and why he wrote it.

What's an example of an account that is rejected because we don't know the author's name or "why he wrote it"? Maybe it helps a little to have such information -- maybe -- but this is very subjective. This is not a basis for rejecting any document as unreliable. You might claim that having this information makes the document slightly more reliable.

Again, what document is rejected as totally unreliable because we don't know this about the author? Do we have to reject the Dead Sea Scrolls as totally unreliable because we don't have the author's name or know his motivation? And do we really know the motivations of every author we accept for historical information?

Whereas an author who is trying to report to us what really happened would rely on earlier accounts as much as possible. I.e., he would be "dependent" on earlier sources.

Yes. Which is why we ask for someone NOT working from earlier sources.

We ask for ALL sources, not ONLY "someone not working from earlier sources." We ask for all the sources we can get. We don't reject ANY sources. It would be irresponsible to toss out a source simply because it relied on an earlier source.

. . . why we ask for someone . . . NOT dependent on those earlier sources.

No, not exclusively. We want ALL the sources there are. If there is a source directly from the event in question, that's fine, and maybe preferable. But we welcome ALL the sources and use them for whatever we can get from them.

AND, sometimes a later source might be more reliable in some ways because that later author had more information than the earlier author who had direct contact with the event, because the later one sees a larger picture of the event, whereas the author who was right there sees the event from very close up and so sees a very limited part of it. So it's not true that the author right there at the event sees it more accurately in every respect. Rather, we have to take into account the difference and give more credibility to the close-up author for some details, but also give credibility to a later author who has a wider perspective on the event.

Pilate's reports to the Senate, or a traveling merchant's journal, or something else FROM THE TIME, not cobbled together later.

It's laughable to think that all such reports as these would be preserved. We are lucky to have what little we have. We should accept ALL the documents that we are lucky to have come down to us and not reject any, and we should glean every bit of information out of them that is possible, never tossing any of them out because they were "cobbled together" by a later writer who says something contrary to our theory about what he should have said.

The honest or credible writer would use the earlier accounts rather than disregard them.
No.... No one's asking for an independent account from 200 AD.

We want independent accounts from 30 AD.

Then you'll have to throw out 95% or more of what's in the history books. Start a bonfire and burn them all. 99%. 99.99%.

Some "dependence" on earlier sources is beneficial in terms of credibility.

So, all the US History books that repeated the story of George Washington and the Cherry Tree make the story more credible?

Yes, that made the story more credible even though the story could still be fictitious based on other evidence. But the extra sources supporting the story, in themselves, make it more credible than if there had been only one source reporting the story. With many sources reporting it, one should believe the story unless there is further evidence disproving it.

Even though it appears to have been invented shortly after GW's death?

Additional information like this might disprove the story despite the many sources reporting it. However, with many sources reporting it, the additional information has to be stronger -- in order to refute the story -- than if only one source had reported it.

You don't understand "history" or "credible" or "independent."

Then enlighten me -- give an example where extra sources reporting the same event do not add extra credibility to the event than if there is only one source reporting it. Or if your example is an event which is thoroughly refuted by strong evidence, show how all those extra sources reporting the event did not make it more difficult for the event to be refuted than it would have been if there had been only one source.

This reliance means that the compilers are basing their document mainly on earlier accounts from those who were closer to the actual events.

No, it means they were basing their documents on earlier accounts. It does NOT mean the early accounts were closer to actual events. It does not mean there WERE actual events.

But this could also be said of accounts that are reported directly from the alleged actual events. You could say that Caesar's Gallic War did not report actual events. Just because the alleged author is allegedly reporting alleged events he allegedly experienced himself does not mean there WERE actual events being experienced.

Basically your logic here is that just because an account exists is no proof that any actual event really ever took place. Even 100 accounts from alleged direct witnesses is no proof that any actual event really happened.

With this logic we could reject all reports of any past events.

This increases the document's reliability.

Wrong again.

Based on your premise that no accounts or reports of past events ever have any reliability, because all of them can be rejected as evidence that anything ever really happened.

But if we reject that premise and give some credibility to documents from the past that tell of past events, that they really happened, then we can also believe a document that reports a previous document. That previous document is itself a past event, and if it was reliable at that time as an indicator of past events, then it is also reliable to us, coming to us INdirectly through a later document that tells us about the earlier document.

The extra sources attesting to the same event, or even to the same earlier document, add some extra credibility to that earlier event, or that earlier document, than if there is only one source.

Last edited:
But if we reject that premise and give some credibility to documents from the past that tell of past events, that they really happened,
Why should we give credibility to a document just because it exists? Since immense volumes of superman comics exists should we give some credidibility to them?

The extra sources attesting to the same event, or even to the same earlier document, add some extra credibility to that earlier event, or that earlier document, than if there is only one source.
Only if they are INDEPENDENT! A document that cites another document is just a copy of the first.

You are hilarious! Do you really believe that 99.99% of what are in te historybooks are as unsecure as the life of jesus? You are a hoot man!

Back
Top Bottom