• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2020 Election Results

Annie Karni, in Washington DC
The Trump campaign hints that no one should be expecting a Trump concession. “This election is not over,” a campaign attorney said in a statement.

I heard that you're supposed to call a doctor if your election lasts this long.

Rashida Tlaib on Twitter: "I love doorknocking. It's the most real you can get with the people you represent and fight for. It is always shortchanged or dismissed in exchange for TV ads, lawnsigns and billboards. It doesn't work if you aren't centering your campaign in direct voter contact." / Twitter
noting
Abe Peña III on Twitter: "@AOC @IlhanMN @RashidaTlaib I love it when our local reps knock on the door. I typically have the whole family talk to them for a few minutes and thank them for making time." / Twitter

NYT:
Michael Gold, in New York
More than 4,000 votes are left to be counted in Georgia, as well as an unknown number of overseas and military ballots that are still arriving, an elections official said.
Also more results from Maricopa Cty, AZ - where Phoenix is. About 2% more votes counted, 90% to 92%, and Biden's lead dropped from 1.6% to 1.4%. This suggests a final margin of Biden 1.0%.

PA is still at Biden 0.1% and GA is now at Biden 0.03%. Overseas and military ballots are still arriving.

Arizona keeps finding ballots. There are 142,000 left. Biden's lead has shrunk to 44k-ish, but with 142k left, Trump needs 66% of it to win. His current rate is slowly decreasing and it is currently 57%.

Fox and AP called it early, but it appears AZ is going to Biden by 10k to 20k votes. Or what the GOP would consider "a landslide" if Trump won it.
https://twitter.com/LeGrove/status/1324347994720919554

that's one of my faves so far just cuz i'm a soccer nerd.
Indeed, good stuff, especially the Ben Garrison reference at the end. :D

These remaining states I'd guess that several will be so close that laws may require a recount. Does anyone know whether recounts have ever actually cause a significant shift for the winner?

These remaining states I'd guess that several will be so close that laws may require a recount. Does anyone know whether recounts have ever actually cause a significant shift for the winner?

I heard a political historian on NPR say that recounts typically won't change the count by more than a few hundred at most. If Biden is up by at least 2k votes in whatever state I think he's pretty safe.

I heard a political historian on NPR say that recounts typically won't change the count by more than a few hundred at most. If Biden is up by at least 2k votes in whatever state I think he's pretty safe.
Exactly. Florida was decided by 0.00095% of the vote. Georgia is a whomping 0.03% or about 30 times a larger margin.

And Florida also had unique circumstances with those antiquated punch cards. And even then, it was only around a 1200 vote change.

The ruling class is highly motivated to prevent things from reaching that point, as their authority is dependent on public trust in the electoral college. Gore v. Bush (2000) was a famous example of a recount potentially changing the outcome. Since that victory in part hinged on the Supreme Court stopping a recount that was already in process, the President is probably imagining that the same would work for him somehow, hence all the references to "stop the count" and allusions about the Court even though he is presumptively behind and thus would not be helped by such an action. The

1877 Compromise was a similar situation where court/legal actions avoided the potential embarassment of a recount, begrudgingly conceding to Hayes a White House that may have rightly been Tilden's had things been settled by recount rather than the back room. As in 2000, the electoral loser had a small lead in the national vote and accusations of fraud were rampant on both sides. Compromise was seen as a way to re-establish a unified role for the government.

Georgia is going to do a recount

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11...georgia_elections_official_says_there_will_be

Georgia elections official says there will be a recount after Biden takes narrow lead — 10:59 a.m.

By Christina Prignano, Globe staff

Georgia’s top elections official on Friday said there would be a recount in its razor-thin election, hours after former vice president Joe Biden narrowly overtook President Trump’s lead in the state.

As of late Friday morning, Biden held a lead of just over 1,000 votes over Trump, though ballot counting continued.

“With a margin that small, there will be a recount in Georgia,” Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said in a Friday press conference. “Interest in our election obviously goes far beyond Georgia’s borders. The final tally in Georgia at this point has huge implications for the entire country.”

I tell ya, with Georgia heading to Biden, I'd like to say again how much it is wonderful how a third party candidate can finally fuck things up for the other party.

Now we wait for some damn returns out of PA, so that state can be called! Biden talking tonight.

From former republican gov Scott Walker

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/1324002777597677569?s=20[/TWEET]

From the WaPo,

Trump economic advisor Larry "Kudlow says there will be ‘a peaceful transfer of power’" Except if one counts Trump being dragged kicking and screaming from the White House.

"Georgia secretary of state says there will be a recount of the presidential race"
Not surprised, and Biden's lead is so small that it may not survive the recount.
Also, foreign and military ballots must be counted.

In PA, Biden is now up 9,027 votes or 0.14%.

In NV, with counted fraction going from 88% to 91%, Biden's lead has gone from 0.9% to 1.7%. Most of the uncounted vote is in Clark Cty, with Las Vegas in it, and that's heavily Democratic. At this rate, Biden is likely to hold on to NV.

FUCK!!!

NY Times Election Tracking Site said:
Philadelphia officials said they’d release another update of votes from the city today, between 2,000 and 3,000 votes. The remaining 40,000 votes could take a few more days.

FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!

FUCK!!!

NY Times Election Tracking Site said:
Philadelphia officials said they’d release another update of votes from the city today, between 2,000 and 3,000 votes. The remaining 40,000 votes could take a few more days.

FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!FUCK!!!

Agreed. This one is a lot harder to take than Bush vs Gore.

Very unpresidential by the new norms.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1324142362331910144?s=20[/TWEET]

Back
Top Bottom