• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2023 State Of The Union Address

The important issue here is that Trump's mind is in decline. If he cannot distinguish between a woman he raped and an ex-wife, he has no business running for any office again.
Or it's a decline in vision and hearing. Since he's the best there's no way he would admit to it and thus wouldn't do anything about it.

You're going to crash the stock market horribly and thus preclude investment.
People are not going to invest in the market because of a FICA tax on gains?
I agree Jimmy. Furthermore, tax on transactions would not significantly affect legitimate value 401k investors since they would rarely be trading anyway They would be in it for long term dividend income and growth rather than pure short term speculation.

Who said anything about increasing benefits?
If you increase FICA limit on contributions, you would automatically increase their benefits. Or am I misunderstanding how social security works, at least currently?
Yes, you are misunderstanding how SS works.
Oh? I think it’s a good quesion…

Currently, there’s a max FICA deduction, and there’s a max Social Security payout.
However, I would not expect them to be linked “automatically,” therefore Zipr would have a point that there is no requirement to raise the max payout. Nevertheless, I think it’s a good question to answer explicitly; do the current laws or do they not automatiically connect changes in collection to changes in payout?
Without getting into the minutia of social security, I thought Biden's finest moment was how he responded to Republican jeers. Which he obviously expected falling right into his agenda, declaring publicly in front of everyone Republican's would now take future cuts off the table. A pretty genius move IMO especially for someone who is semi senile. The future Republicans are going to wish they kept their stupid mouths shut!
Yeah, the funny thing is that many of us have dealt with senility before and it is hilarious that people like using words like this, without having a fucking clue what it actually means.

Biden hit a grand slam in the SOTU address. And people like you still want to make shit comments about Biden being senile. All the while supporting the guy who bragged about passing a basic competency test.
He is an 80 year old man who clearly acts semi-senile to anyone out there who is not a party hack like you are. Sometimes the truth is hard to accept but we are all mortal. Biden slurs his words just exactly like my dad did before he passed away as well.

se·nile
  • (of a condition) characteristic of or caused by old age.
    "senile decay"

The problem is that almost all the people who sling that word around don’t then apply it to members of their own political party, so one wonders how much they truly care about the mental state of Biden versus his political affiliation.

If you increase FICA limit on contributions, you would automatically increase their benefits. Or am I misunderstanding how social security works, at least currently?

Currently, there’s a max FICA deduction, and there’s a max Social Security payout.
However, I would not expect them to be linked “automatically,” therefore Zipr would have a point that there is no requirement to raise the max payout. Nevertheless, I think it’s a good question to answer explicitly; do the current laws or do they not automatiically connect changes in collection to changes in payout?
Without getting into the minutia of social security, I thought Biden's finest moment was how he responded to Republican jeers. Which he obviously expected falling right into his agenda, declaring publicly in front of everyone Republican's would now take future cuts off the table. A pretty genius move IMO especially for someone who is semi senile. The future Republicans are going to wish they kept their stupid mouths shut!
Yeah, the funny thing is that many of us have dealt with senility before and it is hilarious that people like using words like this, without having a fucking clue what it actually means.

Biden hit a grand slam in the SOTU address. And people like you still want to make shit comments about Biden being senile. All the while supporting the guy who bragged about passing a basic competency test.
He is an 80 year old man who clearly acts semi-senile to anyone out there who is not a party hack like you are. Sometimes the truth is hard to accept but we are all mortal. Biden slurs his words just exactly like my dad did before he passed away as well.

se·nile
    "senile decay"
Amigo! Are you not a great defender of Trump?? If you're going to attack someone as senile (I don't see the evidence that Biden is senile) you should at least apply the charge equally.

Last edited:

se·nile
    "senile decay"
I can slur words too, stutter, fail to come up with words. That is part of my speech impediment, not senility.

Me wrapping animals up in boxes and giving them as gifts would be a sign of my senility.

FICA benefits are based on what you paid in in your 35 highest years, but the relationship is nonlinear. Removing the FICA cap would increase what the rich paid in and would thus increase their SS checks.
Not if we did something as remotely simple as CAPPING THEIR CHECKS. Is this brain surgery for people? The bigger issue is that this only addresses income from working. So removing the cap helps, but it'll stop helping.
Thus converting it from a retirement program to a welfare program.
Not too many welfare programs were paid into by all the recipients. You can just say, "Yes, that would work." and then list any actual problems you see with the modification, other than trying to relabel it something it wouldn't be.

You're going to crash the stock market horribly and thus preclude investment.
People are not going to invest in the market because of a FICA tax on gains?
You said "trades", not "gains".
I apologize for using the terminology loosely. Taxing trades probably wouldn't be a bad idea too. 0.5 to 1.0% probably would bring in a good income. But my intent was a FICA like tax on the gains.
You're also going to render every pension fund out there horribly insolvent and you'll crash everyone's 401ks. Retirees will have little more than SS to live on because everything else will have crashed.
Well saying it over and over again doesn't provide evidence that people will flee the stock market because of a 6.2 or percent tax.
2) It's 15.3%. Normally the employer pays half but if you have no employer you pay the whole thing.
It's whatever we want it to be when applied to stock gains.

FICA benefits are based on what you paid in in your 35 highest years, but the relationship is nonlinear. Removing the FICA cap would increase what the rich paid in and would thus increase their SS checks.
Not if we did something as remotely simple as CAPPING THEIR CHECKS. Is this brain surgery for people? The bigger issue is that this only addresses income from working. So removing the cap helps, but it'll stop helping.
Thus converting it from a retirement program to a welfare program. Are you a stealth Republican trying to destroy SS?
The fuck are you talking about?

I mean, we are all talking here based on our own judgment.
Just because we disagree on appropriate levels and kinds of migration does not make me "xenophobic".

One could assume that one Pakistani is diversity, two is a potential problem, three is a colonization and any more constitutes an invasion.
Not quite, but a few million does constitute an invasion. Especially when they are not or only poorly vetted. We certainly do not need any more Islamic extremists, or violent criminals.
Take the case of Afghan mass migrant  Lawangeen Abdulrahimzai. He murdered two people while moving through Serbia on his way to Western Europe. Even though he was convicted in absentia, UK took him in instead of immediately deporting him. Then he murdered a British man.
Or take this case.
Suspect Arrested in Deadly Stabbing of 2 on Train in Germany
The perp is a Palestinian.

Ain't forced diversity great?

Whereas the vast majority of American citizens
ARE FUCKING IMMIGRANTS or their offspring.
oh, the horror.
Unless you are living in eastern Africa, your ancestors had to have come from somewhere else.
So what? That does not tell us anything about appropriateness of different immigration policies in present day America.
George Santos and the Canadian "Maxwell" and his silver hammer in the Pelosi home, and the British "Mrs. Warren" Maxwell and her jointly run international "massage" network are examples of glitches in the immigration system in the US. But on the whole, I don't understand some Americans' resistance to even legal immigration from the Christian countries of the Carribean and Latin America--which is the big right-wing fussing point in the US right now--the "undefended" Southern border and all that..

I don't understand some Americans' resistance to even legal immigration from the Christian countries of the Carribean and Latin America--which is the big right-wing fussing point in the US right now--the "undefended" Southern border and all that..
American racists are xenophobic as well as racist, generally speaking. “They don’t sound or look like me, so I wish they would go back where they came from” is the basic paradigm. There are lots of ”acceptable“ ways of saying it, but that’s the basic tenet whether it’s coming from Republican Congresscritters or an “I’m not a right winger” on this forum.

Biden isn't senile. He is in fact, very sharp, a lot sharper than many people who are half his age. I love how he got the Republicans to all stand in agreement that SS and M'care shouldn't be cut. He did a good job at responding to their stupid snipes. Of course, there are many Democrats who are concerned about his running mate, just in case, he should develop some health problems while he's president. Harris is less popular than Biden and there are concerns that she might not be up to the job of president, if needed. But, people of any age can have serious health problems. These claims about Biden are examples of ageism. Trump on the other hand, along with a few of the older members of the Senate do exhibit some symptoms of cognitive decline. That is concerning. There is also considerable evidence that Trump has committed crimes, that he is a racist etc. The man isn't fit to run and we should all hope that he will soon be tried for some of the crimes he's likely committed. I say likely because we do have this concepthat we are all innocent until proven guilty.

se·nile
    "senile decay"
Actually, that is NOT the definition. You left off the IMPORTANT COMPONENT, which JB does not show.

(of a person) having or showing the weaknesses or diseases of old age, especially a loss of mental faculties.

Looking at the GOP possible candidates for president in 2024, it is obviou most of them couldn't successfully run a taco truck. Biden's main problem is too many GOP congress critters and the paralysis caused by there incomptent obstructionism.

Thus converting it from a retirement program to a welfare program.
Not too many welfare programs were paid into by all the recipients. You can just say, "Yes, that would work." and then list any actual problems you see with the modification, other than trying to relabel it something it wouldn't be.
It's much easier to cut welfare programs than entitlements.

It is estimated SS will run out of resources in the future if the financing of SS is not fixed with new resources. Failure by the GOP to work with Democrats to do so is sabotage. Forcing future cuts by today's lack of action. Democrats should develop a plan to solve the issue and invite the GOP to jion that effort. Failur to do so should be labelled for what it is. A slow attampt to destroy SS by refusing to act now in a competent and honest manner.

Look at the number shot vs the time they took.
What are those numbers time? How do they all plot? Have you done the work?
How is it relevant to mitigating American gun mayhem? Laws against large congregations needed, to limit targets?

It is estimated SS will run out of resources in the future if the financing of SS is not fixed with new resources. Failure by the GOP to work with Democrats to do so is sabotage. Forcing future cuts by today's lack of action. Democrats should develop a plan to solve the issue and invite the GOP to jion that effort. Failur to do so should be labelled for what it is. A slow attampt to destroy SS by refusing to act now in a competent and honest manner.
Note that most of the SS "problem" is simply that the politicians were enjoying the phony help with balancing the budget caused by SS taking in more than it was spending. This was planned for to cover the surge in demand caused by the retirement of the baby boomers. Now they are retiring and the politicians don't want to make good their embezzlement. There is some actual shortfall as people are living longer and having fewer kids but that's not the main issue.

Back
Top Bottom