• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

30 people shot in mass shooting

It's almost certainly a gang shooting. Bangers are not usually known for their marksmanship.

AR15s are very rarely used in crime anyway. So of course it is unlikely to be one.

P.S.: Hell in a handbag is a new one. Is it Gucci?

30 people shot in mass shooting at south Baltimore block party, 2 dead

Only 2 dead?
This country is going to hell in a handbag. Even our shooters are incompetent. Betting it was NOT an AR15.
I read about that early this morning. It happened at a block party. It may be that somebody got angry and started mindlessly shooting. Still, the 2nd amendment was the worst thing the founders did and though it may not have been only related to slavery, I've read numerous articles, besides Carol Anderson's views, that Southern slave owners influenced it for two reasons. One was out of fear that their slaves might try to attack them, and two, so they could shoot their slaves if they tried to escape. Basically, the guns were used as a way to keep their slaves under control. Naturally conservatives don't want to accept that any of this is true, but there is at least some emerging evidence that it is at least partly true.

30 people shot in mass shooting at south Baltimore block party, 2 dead

Only 2 dead?
This country is going to hell in a handbag. Even our shooters are incompetent. Betting it was NOT an AR15.
I read about that early this morning. It happened at a block party. It may be that somebody got angry and started mindlessly shooting. Still, the 2nd amendment was the worst thing the founders did and though it may not have been only related to slavery, I've read numerous articles, besides Carol Anderson's views, that Southern slave owners influenced it for two reasons. One was out of fear that their slaves might try to attack them, and two, so they could shoot their slaves if they tried to escape. Basically, the guns were used as a way to keep their slaves under control. Naturally conservatives don't want to accept that any of this is true, but there is at least some emerging evidence that it is at least partly true.

We don't have anything resembling a 2nd amendment here in Canada - but I suspect that's because we assembled and trained a militia (the RCMP) to "clear" the land of it's inhabitants - as opposed to the US where the settlers were allowed to open fire on indigenous peoples.

That doesn't absolve Canada of atrocities, we just had someone else do the dirty work for us.

Now you guys are stuck with the 2nd amendment. The US could technically get rid of it, but it has no desire to. Guns are just as ingrained in US culture as Christianity is.

The US could technically get rid of it, but it has no desire to.
Well, there is some desire to get rid of it and some desire to change it, but not enough to overcome the extremely high barrier required to amend the constitution.
The poll does, however, show surprisingly robust support for Second Amendment repeal (39 percent) among Democrats (by contrast, 8 percent of Republicans would support a full repeal). Black Americans (30 percent) and Northeasterners (28 percent) also showed relatively high levels of support.

[...]

Forty-six percent said they favored modifying the Second Amendment to allow for stricter regulations, compared with 39 percent who were opposed. More than three-quarters of Democrats said they supported modifying the Second Amendment, as did more than one-quarter of Republicans.

Last edited:
there is some desire to get rid of it and some desire to change it, but not enough to overcome the extremely high barrier required to amend the constitution.
No Amendment is required. Just a plain reading of the Constitution. Including the words “well regulated militia”.

there is some desire to get rid of it and some desire to change it, but not enough to overcome the extremely high barrier required to amend the constitution.
No Amendment is required. Just a plain reading of the Constitution. Including the words “well regulated militia”.
That would be true except the fucking SCOTUS decided to interpret that differently. I think it was during the Obama administration. Correct me if I'm wrong. From what I've been reading lately, the 2nd amendment was never really about any fucking well regulated militia. Our fucking country was founded by a bunch of white, racist men who wanted guns to protect themselves from those who were different from themselves, including slaves, and indigenous people. Let's not forget that these so called founders were all or mostly all slave holders. Women and anyone who wasn't a white male weren't give equal rights until over a century later. OMG! Don't get me started!

Gun culture has gotten much worse since my childhood. I know we keep reading that the murder rate was higher in the 90s, but it sure looks like were going to exceed that if something doesn't give. And, I sure don't remember all these fucking mass shootings 20 or 30 years ago. We didn't worry about being shot in school during the 50s, 60s, or 70s. It was much harder to get a gun when you and I were growing up. Even in Southern states, one needed a back ground check and to be finger printed to obtain a concealed carry permit. Gun dealers had to do background checks before they could sell a gun. These days, it seems as if anyone who is at least 18 and has been committed with a felony can legally own a gun and in states like mine, it's recently been made that anyone can carry concealed legally without having to get a permit. When it comes to guns, we're headed in the wrong direction. Too many idiots and people who can't control their tempers have guns. Most gun owners want stricter gun laws, but due to the insanity of the R party, it ain't gonna happen, as far as I can see.

Oh and if you haven't noticed, some Republicans want to raise the voting age to 25, but I haven't heard a peep from them wanting to raise the age for gun ownership. :mad:

Our fucking country was founded by a bunch of white, racist men who wanted guns to protect themselves from those who were different from themselves, including slaves, and indigenous people.
Sure, yeah, all that but way more polite than your portrayal. That’s why they couched all their racist elitism in a cloak of egalitarian lip service. I’m just suggesting they be taken at their disingenuous word.

I read about that early this morning. It happened at a block party. It may be that somebody got angry and started mindlessly shooting.
I still think it has hallmarks of a gang shooting. But we shall see. Apparently BPD is still searching for the suspects. Apparently, there is a video of a suspect floating around, but I could not find it.
Still, the 2nd amendment was the worst thing the founders did and though it may not have been only related to slavery, I've read numerous articles, besides Carol Anderson's views, that Southern slave owners influenced it for two reasons.
Carol Anderson is a race huckster. Besides, a similar argument is made about police - left wing police defunders and abolitionists keep claiming that the origin of US policing is slave catchers. Complete bollocks, of course, in addition to being genetic fallacy.

Now you guys are stuck with the 2nd amendment. The US could technically get rid of it, but it has no desire to. Guns are just as ingrained in US culture as Christianity is.
It's not just the lack of desire, although vast majority is against repealing the 2nd.
It's also that in the US, it is very difficult to amend the Constitution. You need 2/3 of both chambers of Congress and 3/4 of all states must ratify it.
I do not know what the Canuck constitution amendment process is like.

Well, there is some desire to get rid of it and some desire to change it, but not enough to overcome the extremely high barrier required to amend the constitution.
One in five is a small minority. So to say that "there is some desire to get rid of it" is misleading at best. A larger fraction wants to change it, but, alas, still a minority.
So, the "extremely high barrier" is not really the issue here. Although, the Constitution should be more stable than mere laws and thus a much higher barrier to amend it is justified.

Christoher Ingraham @ WaPo said:
The poll does, however, show surprisingly robust support for Second Amendment repeal (39 percent) among Democrats (by contrast, 8 percent of Republicans would support a full repeal). Black Americans (30 percent) and Northeasterners (28 percent) also showed relatively high levels of support.
So just a little over a third of Democrats supports a repeal, and less than a third of blacks and Northeasterners do.

Forty-six percent said they favored modifying the Second Amendment to allow for stricter regulations,
That's of course, still less than 50%.

And there's originalism.
"Originalism is the idea that the Constitution has a fixed meaning; it doesn't change. It means what people would have understood it to mean at the time it was written." -Samuel Alito, 11/9/2021
Of course, to the Constitution's drafters, arms meant single shot muskets, which required upwards of 30, 40 seconds to reload and prime every. single. round.
But rest assured, the Convention of 1781 would've been fine with over 10 million modern combat weapons being sold like ham sandwiches in the republic.

That would be true except the fucking SCOTUS decided to interpret that differently. I think it was during the Obama administration. Correct me if I'm wrong.
DC v. Heller, in 2008, so it was the last year of GW Bush actually. 5-4, along ideological lines.
From what I've been reading lately, the 2nd amendment was never really about any fucking well regulated militia.
Well the wording is a bit
Our fucking country was founded by a bunch of white, racist men who wanted guns to protect themselves from those who were different from themselves, including slaves, and indigenous people.
It's pretty amazing that in a thread about a black-on-black mass shooting you still find a way to blame whitey.
Let's not forget that these so called founders were all or mostly all slave holders. Women and anyone who wasn't a white male weren't give equal rights until over a century later. OMG! Don't get me started!
And what does that have to do with the subject of this thread?
Gun culture has gotten much worse since my childhood. I know we keep reading that the murder rate was higher in the 90s, but it sure looks like were going to exceed that if something doesn't give. And, I sure don't remember all these fucking mass shootings 20 or 30 years ago.
It's a lot easier to find out about them. A gang shooting like this one would probably not be on the news in Atlanta 30 years ago, but with the Internet it's a lot easier to disseminate local news stories quickly and widely.
Too many idiots and people who can't control their tempers have guns. Most gun owners want stricter gun laws, but due to the insanity of the R party, it ain't gonna happen, as far as I can see.
I don't agree with relaxation of gun laws in Georgia, but I doubt the persons who shot up this block party were legal gun owners. Maryland has very strict gun laws, but that does not prevent gangbangers to have more than enough.
Oh and if you haven't noticed, some Republicans want to raise the voting age to 25, but I haven't heard a peep from them wanting to raise the age for gun ownership. :mad:
And some Dems want to lower voting age to 16. Both do it because they think it will help them electorally.

Of course, to the Constitution's drafters, arms meant single shot muskets, which required upwards of 30, 40 seconds to reload and prime every. single. round.
And to the Constitution drafters "press" meant manually set lead type. A literal press.
1024px-Printing_press.jpg

Technology marches on. It would be silly to argue that the 1st amendment only applies to communication technologies that were invented by 1791.

Btw, the technology behind semiauto firearms is over a century old itself.
But rest assured, the Convention of 1781 would've been fine with over 10 million modern combat weapons being sold like ham sandwiches in the republic.
Not this shit again. Combat weapons are strictly regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934.
You can't just buy an M16.

So to say that "there is some desire to get rid of it" is misleading at best.
My statement was 100% accurate. "some desire" is more than "no desire". What do you think "some" means? It does not mean "most", "a lot", or "all". "Some" can be a small amount. I even provided polling data, so the notion that I was being misleading is absurd.

I read about that early this morning. It happened at a block party. It may be that somebody got angry and started mindlessly shooting.
I still think it has hallmarks of a gang shooting. But we shall see. Apparently BPD is still searching for the suspects. Apparently, there is a video of a suspect floating around, but I could not find it.
Still, the 2nd amendment was the worst thing the founders did and though it may not have been only related to slavery, I've read numerous articles, besides Carol Anderson's views, that Southern slave owners influenced it for two reasons.
Carol Anderson is a race huckster. Besides, a similar argument is made about police - left wing police defunders and abolitionists keep claiming that the origin of US policing is slave catchers. Complete bollocks, of course, in addition to being genetic fallacy.
I said, other than Carol Anderson. And, the more I read, the more likely it is, that the Southern slave holders had some influence on the 2nd Amendment. Don't tell us that our country wasn't started by a bunch of white racist males. Sure, those times were different and they may have done a few good things, but they were also European elitists who believed white males were better than everyone else. For fuck's sake, they didn't even consider black people to be fully human and they killed off huge numbers of Indigenous people. WTF!

I've only read one of Carol Anderson's books btw, and she never mentioned the 2nd Amendment but she did do a lot of research to support her claims. It was an eye opener. It's more than past time for those of us who have benefitted from our white privilege to stop pretending otherwise. But, based on many of your previous posts, I doubt you will ever admit or even do the research to see how one color skin has always dominated others. We've made progress, but we're sadly sliding back to the past.

As far as the Baltimore shooting goes, it may have been gang shooters. Right now, we really don't know for sure. I just finished reading that 3 different guns were used and they haven't found the shooter, but witnesses said there were very young people walking around with guns and nobody reported that. Another problem is that the big block party happened without a permit, but when the police found out about it, they did nothing. It's common for there to be some police protection at large public parties like that one. It was a fuck up all around and it's very sad that so many of the victims were young teenagers. Hopefully the rest will survive. A few are still in critical condition. And, as far as gangs go. A lot of those who recruit gang members are hardened criminals who take advantage of young boys who need to have a sense of belonging. Maybe if we did a better job of helping all young children, especially young boys, there would be fewer gang members.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom