• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A little something something for defenders of democracy

Yes, but if they don't rule until after the election, then their ruling would apply to whoever is President then. Maybe their extreme zealotry is worse than we thought and they're trying to wait to give Trump immunity if he wins in November and Biden won't enjoy the immunity. But we all know that Joe Biden wouldn't execute his enemies or some shit.

One of my lawyer podcasts is suggesting that the SC might have taken up the immunity case in order to be the last and final word on something so very important to our democracy. And this SC has shown their theocratic zealotry in some of their rulings, but they are also not stupid about how law works and absolutely they know that a ruling in favor of immunity would get them a dictator, if not this president then the next one, who can and will diminish the power of the SC itself.

So this suggestion does make sense given all that we know so far and I admit kind of pulled me from the pit of despair over this. lol

BUT who knows how much control the dark money and billionaires and right wing religious zealotry has over them. We shall see, I guess. But I feel a touch more positive today.

One of my lawyer podcasts is suggesting that the SC might have taken up the immunity case in order to be the last and final word on something so very important to our democracy. And this SC has shown their theocratic zealotry in some of their rulings, but they are also not stupid about how law works and absolutely they know that a ruling in favor of immunity would get them a dictator, if not this president then the next one, who can and will diminish the power of the SC itself.

So this suggestion does make sense given all that we know so far and I admit kind of pulled me from the pit of despair over this. lol

BUT who knows how much control the dark money and billionaires and right wing religious zealotry has over them. We shall see, I guess. But I feel a touch more positive today.
They could have done the same by just letting the Appellate court ruling stand.

It'd seem odd for them to take it seeing that the issue is nothing but whether Trump has immunity. Really, the only reason to take this is to say, yes, he has immunity during the Presidency (or to delay it, but I'm not jaded enough to think the partisans are that partisan).

It'd seem odd for them to take it seeing that the issue is nothing but whether Trump has immunity. Really, the only reason to take this is to say, yes, he has immunity during the Presidency (or to delay it, but I'm not jaded enough to think the partisans are that partisan).
You poor innocent child.

If Scotus has any integrity left whatever, they will refuse to take this one on appeal. It would do them a world of good to let it stand. We'll see what integrity (and good common sense) is left over there.
Well, you got your answer. The remaining question is "does the integrity scale extend to negative number?"

Maybe their extreme zealotry is worse than we thought and they're trying to wait to give Trump immunity if he wins in November

They better not rule on it until late January after Cheato "takes" office. If they rule Trump immune after the election and before inauguration, Joe can have him drawn and quartered before he can ascend to the throne.

I have never felt more cynical about the US judiciary and the government in general. And I hear nothing forceful out of old Joe... despite a whole universe of damning things about Trump and the Trump Party he could be keeping front and center. Hopefully he's just keeping his powder dry, cuz lord knows he's got tons and tons of powder. If he's just trying to set an example of how to be polite in the face of abuse, we're 100% fucked.

I'm leaning toward they want to stamp an extra layer of NO on to it for posterity. Maybe I should just say hoping instead of leaning.

Back
Top Bottom