• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A White teacher taught White students about White privilege. It cost him his job.

Personally...

I have concluded that white privilege is a fact, but I am not sure if the way everyone describes it is always something I want to agree with. So when I see the video I agree with some 85% or so of it. There are just certain ways some statements are framed that I think are more a form of hasty generalization. And so I don't personally have an opposing view to white privilege...just want to tweak the way it is stated.

Here (maybe????) is how I would make a first-pass at trying to frame it: white privilege is the thing that exists if you take me (a white guy) and a theoretical African American who is exactly me and subtract so filtering out the differences that are privileges that are there because I am white. So what kinds of things am I talking about? To me, they are extrinsic, defined by the interactions, perceptions, and opportunity potential assigned by society and culture. But those things lead to actualized, concrete examples statistically different among groups.

So, at any moment I may be aware that M% of people in the country perceive me as a good guy and theoretical African American (or non-white) me would be aware that only (M-n)% of people in the country perceive him as a good guy. I may know I have a N% chance of getting a job, but theoretical African American (non-white) me may have a (N-p)% chance of getting the same job and that has to do with different treatment by society.

When we look at an individual and examine their statuses in life (jobs, careers, losses, prison sentences, whatever), those things have multiple factors that have led to the outcomes. The external factors of perceptions and treatments by society lead to different built up internal factors (like say confidence or job resume), i.e. it is the nurture part of nature vs. nurture. These external factors are also stacked up over time: i.e., beginning even before birth--consider nutrition in gestational environment--not unlike how your financial savings works with compound interest. So the impact is huge. Now, those myriad of factors are not confined to a single dimension of racial privilege and include economic privilege, the very specific status of one's family and property, and offhand, I am not going to make a list of all the things, it's too vast and I'd rather look up some studies on the factors than take a stab in the dark.

There was a point in my life where I disagreed with the idea of white privilege, but I don't think the term was even being used as such. The reason was that I had grown up very poor as a young child and I felt a lot of stings in life. In high school, I was lucky enough to live with a relative other than my parents and had a much more stable and also middle class household. I had discussions with a fellow student--he was Hispanic--about the topic of discrimination and so forth and I had disagreed with him. Later on in life, I see some of the privileges I had but just didn't see the forest for the trees. So, for example, even when I was a poor kid, there were always people around me that had a perception that I had "potential" and that was a subset of the greater societal statistical reality of perception differences. When I made small successes, there was a lot of support and always there was some door open for growth. Later when I lived in a decent "white" neighborhood of a city in a middle class house, I saw racism in some of the white neighbors and my uncle, but this was also part of a trend of having these types of neighborhoods and thoughts of "don't let the blacks in, they'll ruin everything," and so various benefits of the neighborhood were indirectly conferred to me but those things have roots in historical racism. In school, too, the idea of potential and being ripe for success was an extrinsic property of teachers, school officials, and probably not only directly related to the color of my skin, but also the white culture I had greater opportunity to learn, such as language dialect, mannerisms. When I had failings, there was no significant subset of the population thinking I had those failings because of genetic inferiority. And I didn't have to deal with that as an issue of self-esteem due that culture or to be in a constant state of conflict and argument with that culture.

Like I have done above, I think it is okay to give anecdotes and discuss individuals. However, I think when we try to define white privilege, we should shy away from anecdotes and individuals in the definition, and stick to notions of what is extrinsic and interactions to the large populations and culture and aggregates. We want to avoid (informal) logical fallacies like hasty generalizations, anecdotal evidence, etc in the definition itself. (IMO). Still, white privilege is real.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I can't help but think most (if not all) white people who denounce white privilege 100% are just concerned about losing said privileges.

Edit: I think this because I have no idea why something so obvious is so hard to swallow. I mean, what in the hell would it do to you to recognize some differences in how America treats you?

I may be wrong, but I can't help but think most (if not all) white people who denounce white privilege 100% are just concerned about losing said privileges.

Edit: I think this because I have no idea why something so obvious is so hard to swallow. I mean, what in the hell would it do to you to recognize some differences in how America treats you?
I think it's the same thing that makes a hoarder house...

Somewhere deep inside of them there is a machine formed just-so from the dictates of DNA and gestational circumstance. This thing codes for a belief: things must not change, if things change SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN!!!111!1one

If they do that, also, they are right in that something "bad [feeling]" will indeed happen: they will have to reconnect with their own personal guilt and start accepting that they are capable of and responsible for their own evil acts. It means accepting having been less than the hero of the story that they irrevocably they wrote of themselves into other people's lives and even their own.

It's painful to watch James "Jimmy" "Saul Goodman" McGill in "Better Call Saul" exactly because while he sees himself as doing what it takes, he's consistently a bastard about it.

We all see it and when we do, it's a kick to the gut every time in that his selfishness is self sabotage as much as any other of the other, less deserved sabotage levelled at him.

It's like that for racism too; It's even worse because if someone does not practice mindfulness and acceptance of their guilt, to the extent that racism builds up, or unrecognized and unempathetic privilege; either way. It implies so little practice that they will in addition to being less used to the pain of acceptance, be particularly bad at it and so subjected to this foreign and new pain for an inordinate amount of time

Edit: in fact Jimmy's one redeeming quality was that he leveraged his privilege to help those who had NONE. It's the reason why people still hope he succeeds.

Last edited:

Well, there’s no empirical basis for it. It genesis was an article written by a rich White woman, who assumed all the privileges she perceived were due to her skin color and not to having been the child of wealthy parents.

The concept of White Privilege is insidious, very similar to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It’s blood libel. It charges that benefits/wealth that a White person enjoys is from this Privilege and not from their labor and effort. Conversely, it implies that if a non-White person lacks benefits/wealth, this miasma of White Privilege is the cause.

And it ignores that everyone has various privileges - height, weight, attractiveness, parental wealth, intelligence, and so forth. That’s what makes us all unique and individuals. These matter much more than skin tone. Otherwise you’d need some extraordinary mental gymnastics to conclude that a poor White guy in Appalachia has privilege while Lebron James is oppressed.

Any of the all five options wouldn't have been racist. :rolleyes:
Obviously. But that's not what I asked you.

And a typical Christian may be wrong, but she can't help but think most (if not all) atheists who denounce Christianity 100% are just mad at God.

When your go-to reaction to hearing an opposing argument is to make up an ad hominem to use against your interlocutor and tell yourself he actually secretly already agrees with you and is just being a dick about it so you'll have an excuse to never address his argument, that's a red flag that what you're peddling is a religion.

What in the hell would it do to you to recognize that you're being illogical? By all means, please point out where the devil you saw me dispute that black and white people get treated differently. I already agreed with you that the cops were racist, so why are you making believe that whether there's racism is the point in dispute?

You appear to be basing your entire approach to this conversation on two false assumptions: (1) that "white privilege" is a synonym for "racism", and (2) that every fluent English speaker agrees you're right about assumption (1).

Okay, your turn. Roll your eyes at me, tell me you don't see any legitimate counterargument, make a false claim about what I said, make a false personal claim about me, and still don't answer my question.

Well, there’s no empirical basis for it. It genesis was an article written by a rich White woman, who assumed all the privileges she perceived were due to her skin color and not to having been the child of wealthy parents.

Forgive me I have no idea what you meant here.

The concept of White Privilege is insidious, very similar to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It’s blood libel. It charges that benefits/wealth that a White person enjoys is from this Privilege and not from their labor and effort. Conversely, it implies that if a non-White person lacks benefits/wealth, this miasma of White Privilege is the cause.

I have no clue who/what the Elders of Zion is so can't comment on that. Wealth/Benefits, labor & efforts are identifiers that can be applied to everyone. Whether someone has privileged connections to said identifiers is what I'm talking about. Which segues into this;

And it ignores that everyone has various privileges - height, weight, attractiveness, parental wealth, intelligence, and so forth. That’s what makes us all unique and individuals. These matter much more than skin tone. Otherwise you’d need some extraordinary mental gymnastics to conclude that a poor White guy in Appalachia has privilege while Lebron James is oppressed.

Height, weight, attractiveness, parental wealth, intelligence, and whatnot have their distinct privliedges. I'm talking about whether that Height, weight, attractiveness, parental wealth, intelligence, and whatnot being embodied back a black person affects their ability to capitalize on those privileges. The case here is, some people have the privilege of not having to worry about this additional obstacle.

Obviously. But that's not what I asked you.

What did you expect? Me to say all of the above except D? Because that's what I said with the reason why I said it.

And a typical Christian may be wrong, but she can't help but think most (if not all) atheists who denounce Christianity 100% are just mad at God.

When your go-to reaction to hearing an opposing argument is to make up an ad hominem to use against your interlocutor and tell yourself he actually secretly already agrees with you and is just being a dick about it so you'll have an excuse to never address his argument, that's a red flag that what you're peddling is a religion.

Nice. What were we talking about again?

What in the hell would it do to you to recognize that you're being illogical? By all means, please point out where the devil you saw me dispute that black and white people get treated differently. I already agreed with you that the cops were racist, so why are you making believe that whether there's racism is the point in dispute?

You appear to be basing your entire approach to this conversation on two false assumptions: (1) that "white privilege" is a synonym for "racism", and (2) that every fluent English speaker agrees you're right about assumption (1).

Okay, your turn. Roll your eyes at me, tell me you don't see any legitimate counterargument, make a false claim about what I said, make a false personal claim about me, and still don't answer my question.

That comment wasn't directed to you. I would have quoted you and spoken directly to you if it was. But regardless, you made a good point here. I am being a dick,

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

As for the case of Lebron James. I'm certain (and yes this may be pure speculation to some folks) he along with millions of other black youths chose sports because of the easy access to possible success in their efforts to GTFO of the ghetto.

Edit: And by easy, I don't mean level of difficulty of the profession I'm talking about the level of access.

As for the case of Lebron James. I'm certain (and yes this may be pure speculation to some folks) he along with millions of other black youths chose sports because of the easy access to possible success in their efforts to GTFO of the ghetto.

Edit: And by easy, I don't mean level of difficulty of the profession I'm talking about the level of access.

But surely White Privilege should have stopped his rise in favor of a White dude with mediocre talent? If White Privilege can’t make the NBA majority White, what’s it good for?

As a reminder, while Akron has areas of poverty, it doesn't have a "ghetto".

- This message was paid for by the City of Akron

But surely White Privilege should have stopped his rise in favor of a White dude with mediocre talent? If White Privilege can’t make the NBA majority White, what’s it good for?
You mean majority white... again. It did take time to integrate the NBA. Also, ownership majority in the NBA is near exclusively white, hitting along the lines of the distinction Chris Rock makes between "rich" and "wealthy". Lebron James will be one of the few to come out of athletics "wealthy".

You mean majority white... again. It did take time to integrate the NBA. Also, ownership majority in the NBA is near exclusively white, hitting along the lines of the distinction Chris Rock makes between "rich" and "wealthy". Lebron James will be one of the few to come out of athletics "wealthy".

Are NBA players drafted based on their talent or skin color?

Depends on when Lebron tried to enter the NBA. But I understand the point you're trying to make. The NBA basing their decisions on the best talent for their teams NOWADAYS doesn't mean all industries are choosing based on the best talent for their teams nowadays. You need to also consider that the NBA is not just a bunch of niggas on a basketball court.

IF you didn't get where the short yellow bus is taking you. Just maybe if all industries had easy access like the basketball court does just maybe there would be more black people in powerful positions (like there are more black players than white ever since they let the REAL talent in).

Just sayiin,

More access to industries = fewer niggas choosing the streets (which I do not excuse btw). Not every nigga wants to be a damn basketball player or a fucking rapper. There are programs out there that are a major help & I appreciate those. I appreciate all the companies taking steps towards inclusion. But I have this gut feeling (based on historical data) that certain conference rooms won't see a black face unless it's on a white one.

What are white men afraid of losing by just shutting up and listening? Shut up and listen to POC. That's all. Why is this so hard? Is inserting your opinion into everything like it's your dick just programming that you have no control over? You don't have to agree with every word they say. Your agreement or disagreement is irrelevant to the need for you to shut up and listen. No harm will come to you if you shut up and listen to POC without your own mental opinion generator interfering. It's like asking you for a kidney or something to do this simple thing.

It provides for idiotic rebuttals against the notion of White privilege.

... easy access like the basketball court does ...

This reminds me of something I have documented a few times now over the years in the forum and it's very interesting. Nowadays, people talk about how it must be genetics that leads to so many African Americans in basketball. It's interesting because historically back in the day basketball was dominated by Jews. And back then decades ago...there were the same types of claims that it was due to genetics. Back then, the racist claim was that Jews were so good at basketball because as evil people, they knew how to be sneaky and dribble away from others and steal the ball. Unbelievable, right? Yet that is no longer a thing. And if you look at other countries it doesn't work this way where race has such a correlation necessarily. These are moments in time in specific locations brought about by something else. Yes, it's been determined that to have a basketball and hoop is extremely easy with no access problems...so back in the day this was an easy thing for Jews who lived in ghettos to get access to them. Like today access problems to a basketball court (or basketball in the street with a hoop on a telephone pole or other thing) are negligible, same with say football some of the time. Many Jews joined WW2 and received veteran benefits and were able to afford houses and so forth, moving up in status and concurrent with that American sympathies changed toward them post-WW2 because of the nature of the war. This is a common thing that has happened with white people over time to become integrated or more accepted, like Irish and Italian today...while African Americans are now let into basketball and other sports, but still treated the most differently.

Sports are just an extension of white patriarchy. It's what reinforces the hero paradigm and the us vs. them mental framework.

All athletes, black or white, are cooperating with that. No matter how rich or famous an athlete becomes, they are rarely influential on societal norms. And when they are, it's almost always just reinforcement of the patriarchy approved story. On the occasion that an athlete decides to "bring politics into sports" by challenging that status quo, they are going to have a really bad time if they are black, and maybe a slightly bad, contentious time if they are white.

Even if you think a famous athlete has any power to challenge a white patriarchal status quo without losing badly, you are out of your mind. Those who make a splash and inspire people to think differently or think at all about something that bucks white patriarchy, such as kneeling to protest police brutality, something that white patriarchy adores and glorifies, well, you've seen what happens to them.

Sports offer nothing to inspire people except within the white patriarchal Christian hero stories, nothing to challenge a white patriarchal status quo, and really nothing at all in general terms of lifting or changing humanity. Even when sports take over a town or state and changing the local culture in that way, it's a way that reinforces those stories and that irrational jingoism.

And as I said, within that storybook, black people are pegs on a board. Off the board, they're only treated without bigotry or violence by society when people recognize them and they smile and say, "Stay in school. Eat your vegetables. Obey your abusive father figure."

Back
Top Bottom