• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alec Baldwin Fatally Shoots Crew Member With Prop Firearm, Authorities Say

Unbelievable. Just plain crazy. Who didn't know that blanks can kill, after that 20-something actor killed himself on the set of Cover Up, in the 80s??? Also, how did this result in a death AND a wounding? There's something here I can't picture. Obviously a lot more will come out.

One report says there was a live round in the gun and the shot was a straight shoot down the barrel and into the camera. The cinematographer probably had her eye directly into the eyepiece of the camera so took a straight shot to the face. The director was probably very close and took shrapnel from the camera exploding. All conjecture so far.

I can firmly say this was a mistake by the armourer and the safety officer.

I've also heard there are photos of Baldwin crying.

One report says there was a live round in the gun and the shot was a straight shoot down the barrel and into the camera. The cinematographer probably had her eye directly into the eyepiece of the camera so took a straight shot to the face. The director was probably very close and took shrapnel from the camera exploding. All conjecture so far.

I don't care for Alec Baldwin as a person, but that said, this is a terrible burden he has to carry now and I feel bad for him (as well as the victims, of course). I heard about the live round. How the fuck does a live round even make it on to a movie set in the first place? I'm begining to think there is something nefarious going on.

l8xbvv5wnzu71.jpg

So sorry for the victim and her family and for Alec and his family...

If it was a live round, that makes more sense than what I pictured at first. Isn't this the way Brandon Lee died? You'd think this just couldn't happen again. There needs to be some good, inclusive rethinking of safety protocols.

I wonder if the actor is also responsible for checking the gun or one trained individual does it for them. Should be both.
Could be a live round from a ‘shooting at bottles scene’ or some such. Just watched this in Old Henry. Pretty good flick by the way.

If it was a live round, that makes more sense than what I pictured at first. Isn't this the way Brandon Lee died? You'd think this just couldn't happen again. There needs to be some good, inclusive rethinking of safety protocols.

Brandon Lee died because of incompetence on a criminal level. Someone working on the set tried to "make a blank" from a live cartridge. He attempted to pull the bullet from the shell, but only cut the bullet in half. The damaged cartridge was then fired. Since the seal had been damaged, there was not enough pressure to fire the bullet fragment the full length of the barrel and it jammed in the barrel. When the shooting scene was filmed, a true blank cartridge drove the bullet fragment out and fatally injured Lee.

It was a case of every possible safety procedure being neglected or ignored.

Unbelievable. Just plain crazy. Who didn't know that blanks can kill, after that 20-something actor killed himself on the set of Cover Up, in the 80s??? Also, how did this result in a death AND a wounding? There's something here I can't picture. Obviously a lot more will come out.

Jon-Erik Hexum :(
Brandon Lee :(

I wonder if the actor is also responsible for checking the gun or one trained individual does it for them. Should be both.
Could be a live round from a ‘shooting at bottles scene’ or some such. Just watched this in Old Henry. Pretty good flick by the way.

One report I saw said that AB said "I've never been given a live gun on a movie set in my life."

Why the fuck are prop guns still a thing? With CGI having come as far as it has? I am not a fan of CGI in general but it sure beats dead crew members.

The Los Angeles Times and Deadline Hollywood cited several members of the crew and others close to the production as saying six or seven camera operators had walked off the "Rust" set hours before the tragedy.

Both outlets also reported that there had been at least one previous misfire with the prop gun.

"We cited everything from lack of payment for three weeks, taking our hotels away despite asking for them in our deals, lack of Covid safety, and on top of that, poor gun safety! Poor on-set safety period!" one camera crew member wrote on a private Facebook page, according to Deadline.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-baldwin-fired-prop-gun-that-killed-crew-member-movie-set-authorities-2021-10-22/

The Los Angeles Times and Deadline Hollywood cited several members of the crew and others close to the production as saying six or seven camera operators had walked off the "Rust" set hours before the tragedy.

Both outlets also reported that there had been at least one previous misfire with the prop gun.

"We cited everything from lack of payment for three weeks, taking our hotels away despite asking for them in our deals, lack of Covid safety, and on top of that, poor gun safety! Poor on-set safety period!" one camera crew member wrote on a private Facebook page, according to Deadline.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alec-baldwin-fired-prop-gun-that-killed-crew-member-movie-set-authorities-2021-10-22/

As I understand it, the actual union crew including the union armourer were out on strike. The crew used were scabs.

This could have been a script for Columbo.

There actually was an episode (Fade in to Murder) where the murderer is an actor (William Shatner) and he uses a borrowed prop gun to kill a studio employee, but not in the course of filming.

Oh, one more thing. Mr. Chekov from Star Trek is also in this episode.

I don't care for Alec Baldwin as a person, but that said, this is a terrible burden he has to carry now and I feel bad for him (as well as the victims, of course). I heard about the live round. How the fuck does a live round even make it on to a movie set in the first place? I'm begining to think there is something nefarious going on.

Pretty much the same here.

It is only the most gross incompetence that would ever allow a live round on set. Ever.

I was raised very very very much that you NEVER point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot/kill. No matter how empty you know it to be. Ever.

How horrible for the director to lose her life, as well as the other person and their families and loved ones and how traumatic for everyone on set. And for Baldwin? I can’t even imagine.

Pretty much the same here.

It is only the most gross incompetence that would ever allow a live round on set. Ever.

I was raised very very very much that you NEVER point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot/kill. No matter how empty you know it to be. Ever.

How horrible for the director to lose her life, as well as the other person and their families and loved ones and how traumatic for everyone on set. And for Baldwin? I can’t even imagine.

I was raised with the same attitude towards firearms. My father even sent me to a hunter's safety course where we were all taught to never, ever, ever point a firearm even in the general direction of anywhere a human being might be. And yeah, how in the hell did a live round get into a gun on a movie set? That weapon should have been checked, re-checked, and then set aside where only the prop master/armorer was allowed to touch it, then checked again before it was handed over to anyone.

I don't even want to imagine what Baldwin is going through right now. He killed a co-worker and (I'm presuming) friend with a firearm he'd been told was "cold." And on top of that, right wingers and gun nuts are practically celebrating what happened.

After reading the thread and news reports and thinking about it can someone answer the question - what possible reason is there for a prop gun to ever have a live round?

After reading the thread and news reports and thinking about it can someone answer the question - what possible reason is there for a prop gun to ever have a live round?

Ya. Never. And CGI can create a gun. The acting can be done with water pistols and Nurf guns.

Back
Top Bottom