• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alex Jones did WHAaaAAAaattT????

Riiiiiight...

In one sense he's probably right--whatever he does the judgments will exceed his actual net worth. Thus he has no reason to defend them, all his effort will be on hiding his money.

Alex Jones loses big in Connecticut court room. Owes $1 billion dollars to parents he defamed. Yes, billion with a B.

As others noted above, this will certainly be reduced as it far exceeds his net worth. But hopefully it will be a wake-up call to all the right-wing "media" personalities that they will eventually be held responsible for their actions.

Looking forward to outcomes of Dominion Votingand Smartmatic's lawsuits against Fox News, OAN, Giuliani, et al.

If I was one of these parents harrased by Lones, I would file a restraining order against him to demand he no longer claim, insinuate or in any way imply that these parents were actors, liars, or did not lose a child in this massacre. Alex Jones and any employees of his numerous companies, agents or known surrogates.

If I was one of these parents harrased by Lones, I would file a restraining order against him to demand he no longer claim, insinuate or in any way imply that these parents were actors, liars, or did not lose a child in this massacre. Alex Jones and any employees of his numerous companies, agents or known surrogates.
No one is going to get much money out of this blowhole but one can legally make his life miserable while collecting on whatever monetary worth he generates. Make the guy poor and keep him poor.

Thoughts and prayers, Alex.
Me too…. I won’t say what those thoughts are, or what I’m praying for. Community standards you understand 😈
To be fair, I will as much say that if you were not an atheist who specifically believes such are ineffective, I would have lost respect for you rather than gained it.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving fella.

I'm actually hoping the ruling scares other "entertainment news" platforms strait. But it wont.
Too soon to really know.
Looking forward to outcomes of Dominion Votingand Smartmatic's lawsuits against Fox News, OAN, Giuliani, et al.

This is the real test because there's big money to be lost. Jones was just a pimple to the disease that these guys are.

Jones is an extremist instigator, he just managed to get a number of people to harass the families of victims from one of the most notorious mass shootings in our nation's history, instead of merely wasting my damn time with YouTube videos and paper loops to disprove the Trade Towers could have collapsed. He is actually the gold standard for that CT garbage. ONN or Newsmax or Fox News, those are riling up the base, and their impact is much broader, though, not quite as insane, well... Fox News at least. ONN and Newsmax are bordering on conspiracy nonsense.

That document further asserts that the Sandy Hook plaintiffs failed “to offer any evidentiary standard by which the jury could calculate damages.” Therefore, the verdict was “a species of wild speculation unsupported by law” and was entered in violation of principles of due process, according to Jones’ attorneys.

In another document, Jones lawyers Norm Pattis and Kevin Smith say the judge’s handling of the case “resulted in a complete abdication of the trial court’s role in assuring a fair trial and that the amount of the compensatory damages award exceeds any rational relationship to the evidence officered at trial.”

“The defendants seek a new trial,” that document says. “The verdict in the instant case is both unjust and against the weight of the evidence.”

The four documents filed by the defense are a motion to set aside the verdict (which calls for a new trial), a motion for “remittitur” (which is a request to correct an allegedly unfair damages award, sometimes without a new trial, though one is requested here), and two separate memoranda of law in support of those two motions.

The memorandum in support of the remittitur request carries the arguments further. It asserts that the original default judgment against Jones — for what the judge concluded were repeated discovery violations — resulted in an incorrect picture for the jury to consider:
AJ wants a do-over.

Of course. The new modus operandi is if you lose then ask for a retrial and try a different defense. Like Steve Bannon is doing.

IA obviously NAL so this question must be stupid:

Can/should the judge say "Defendant is obviously a fraud risk, will probably try to hide his assets in another country, so I order that, while he exercises his appeals, $900 million of his assets be sequestered forthwith and placed under a master's control" ?

That document further asserts that the Sandy Hook plaintiffs failed “to offer any evidentiary standard by which the jury could calculate damages.” Therefore, the verdict was “a species of wild speculation unsupported by law” and was entered in violation of principles of due process, according to Jones’ attorneys.

In another document, Jones lawyers Norm Pattis and Kevin Smith say the judge’s handling of the case “resulted in a complete abdication of the trial court’s role in assuring a fair trial and that the amount of the compensatory damages award exceeds any rational relationship to the evidence officered at trial.”

“The defendants seek a new trial,” that document says. “The verdict in the instant case is both unjust and against the weight of the evidence.”

The four documents filed by the defense are a motion to set aside the verdict (which calls for a new trial), a motion for “remittitur” (which is a request to correct an allegedly unfair damages award, sometimes without a new trial, though one is requested here), and two separate memoranda of law in support of those two motions.

The memorandum in support of the remittitur request carries the arguments further. It asserts that the original default judgment against Jones — for what the judge concluded were repeated discovery violations — resulted in an incorrect picture for the jury to consider:
AJ wants a do-over.

I can't help but think about how great this is for the lawyers. Job security at a seven figure annual salary. For both sides, long before the parents get a dime the lawyers are gonna get rich(er).

Call me a cynic, but one thing I know is that the ridiculous award will benefit the legal teams, politicians, and pundits long before the parents. And everyone knows that Jones isn't going to pay anything like that.

Frankly, I think the lawyers for both sides got together and made plans to keep this going for years.

Very profitable years for them.

Ya know what you call a shipload of lawyers on the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom