• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alex Jones did WHAaaAAAaattT????

Doesn't the judge possess the power to enact measures such as asset seizure, property liens, and wage garnishment, in addition to mandating the turnover of valuable properties like cars, boats, and homes? Furthermore, couldn't the judge facilitate the collection of debts owed to Alex Jones by third parties as a form of compensation to the victims?

With all that (and more) I'm not sure what the problem is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I understand that the court isn't directly responsible for handling collections, but surely the victims' legal representation should be experienced in liaising with agencies that specialize in these kinds of recoveries, given their familiarity with such cases and their network of contacts. I mean, WTF? What firm did the victims use?

Edit: The law firm clearly has a significant stake in recovering those funds, given that their remuneration is tied to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I understand that the court isn't directly responsible for handling collections, but surely the victims' legal representation should be experienced in liaising with agencies that specialize in these kinds of recoveries, given their familiarity with such cases and their network of contacts. I mean, WTF? What firm did the victims use?

Edit: The law firm clearly has a significant stake in recovering those funds, given that their remuneration is tied to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Collection is also being confounded because AJ has started a bankruptcy action.

Willful and malicious injury judgments, aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy court. He's just delaying the inevitable.

So basically this is kind of like Brewster's Millions but in reverse. Someone could make a comedy about this if there weren't real victims.

If by 'in reverse' you're referring to the victims being compelled to deplete significant resources to the point they have nothing but the promise of a greater reward, then the situation isn't truly a reversal.

Last edited:
Willful and malicious injury judgments, aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy court. He's just delaying the inevitable.
Yup.
I'm not sure that's true.
AJ does have the master of "better living through bankruptcy" on his side. He could be shoveling money into places American courts can't reach.
Tom

What are you talking about? That would be considered fraudulent conveyance. The bankruptcy filing itself can be considered fraudulent conveyance if determined to be filed in bad faith.

As a matter of fact, by opting to file for bankruptcy, Alex may have inadvertently exacerbated his situation. Now, his entire financial infrastructure will be subjected to meticulous examination and analysis.

What are you talking about? That would be considered fraudulent conveyance. The bankruptcy filing itself can be considered fraudulent conveyance if determined to be filed in bad faith.
By who?
Judge Aileen Cannon?

AJ is in the rarified strata where laws and rules that apply to us little people become "suggestions" and Surmountable Obstructions.

Tom

If by 'in reverse' you're referring to the victims being compelled to deplete significant resources to the point they have nothing but the promise of a greater reward, then the situation isn't truly a reversal.

No, I meant he's trying to spend money rapidly in order to get to a milestone of claiming bankruptcy which is an opposite milestone of gaining a gazillion for high spending in a time limit. It's probably also true that post-bankruptcy he'll get some really sweet deals, maybe write a book, go on a conservative touring circuit, get a job at OAN, half hour show...where he can play up the whole white male victim card. So maybe there's more in common than I wrote.

A lawyer on another board I'm on said the court can make a monetary judgment but it's up to the plaintiff to collect. The court can't do that, which seems completely stupid to me.
The plaintiff has to identify assets and ask the court to seize them. The court will enforce it but they won't go looking.

Alex Jones is so very screwed.

NEW YORK (Reuters) -Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones cannot use his personal bankruptcy to escape paying at least $1.1 billion in defamation damages stemming from his repeated lies about the 2012 Sandy Hook elementary school massacre, a U.S. bankruptcy judge ruled Thursday.

Bankruptcy can be used to wipe out debts and legal judgments, but not if they result from "willful or malicious injury" caused by the debtor, according to a decision by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez in Houston, Texas.

Back
Top Bottom