• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

'Mini AOC' Doxxed And Threatened, Family Shuts Down All Her Social Accounts

The "tolerant" left in action again. Isn't it great to do this to an 8 year old girl?
Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo. I don't think that she deserves that.
'Mini AOC' Deletes All Social Media After Controversial Tweet
A recent controversial tweet from the account sought to parody a photo set of Ocasio-Cortez that was recently rediscovered. In the original photos, Ocasio-Cortez is seen looking sullen and heartbroken outside of a child-housing complex for undocumented immigrants in Tornillo, Texas.

The Mini AOC tweet that spurred so much ire chose to poke fun at the suffering of the children being held at such complexes. The account recreated Ocasio-Cortez’s photos under the premise that Mini AOC was upset the park she wanted to go to was closed.
That provoked a lot of outrage.

Blame her parents for using her like that.

Joyce Alene on Twitter: "This is an interesting point & reminder that @AOC's generation doesn't remember a more moderate Republican party that people my age remember. Because her views aren't clouded by memories of a party that no longer exists, they may be more accurate. https://t.co/VhULTfQhpI" / Twitter noting Haunted by the Reagan era - The Washington Post - a nice article that explains why AOC is much more pugnacious than the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer.

Matt Pearce 🦅 on Twitter: ""Ocasio-Cortez told me that she treats Republicans like buffoons because that’s how they’ve behaved for as long as she can remember." https://t.co/4db1X2LWgh" / Twitter

John «Yorktown Airport» O'Connor on Twitter: "@mattdpearce She is being much too polite and civil. It's about time we have politicians who don't devote 90% of their time and energy figuring out how to preemptively surrender." / Twitter

Bennett Stryker on Twitter: "@mattdpearce “Even before I was of voting age, I saw Republicans accuse the Obamas of doing a ‘terrorist fist bump,’ so they’ve been clowns since I was a teen,” she said. You gotta love her." / Twitter

Stacey E. Singleton on Twitter: "@mattdpearce @prisonculture Yeah the degree to which we are witnessing a significant inter-generational struggle is underplayed. I constantly come back to this AOC interview in Rolling Stone https://t.co/FFEXeGow98" / Twitter - she described how her generation has been shaped by an entirely different set of events than previous generations. No cold war, instead the Iraq War, 9/11, hypercapitalism-has-never-worked-for-us, Great Recession. Also about treating millennials like children.

David J. Majors on Twitter: "@mattdpearce For my generation, AOC and younger, our memories on Republicans go as far back as Newt Gingrich and his contract on America. And a maniacal, irrational, cartoonish hatred for the Clintons. And that's not even getting to Dubya." / Twitter - a bit early for her, but I am old enough to remember their totally bizarre hatred. They never considered him some earnest do-gooder that they politely disagree with. They considered him the Antichrist, the Great Satan of American politics.

Gamesman1.0 on Twitter: "@mattdpearce I remember "Tricky Dick" as a cartoonishly racist paranoid. He started the "war on drugs" to keep hippies and blacks from voting. And Reagan was so far gone into dementia he thought he was playing a role in a movie. My mom commented before the Alzheimer's truth came out about it." / Twitter

Dark Elf on the Shelf on Twitter: "@mattdpearce As one of the older Milennials, can corroborate: we've never known a time when they WEREN'T hypocritical monsters. All that's changed is how open they are about it." / Twitter

VenetianHoliday on Twitter: "@JoyceWhiteVance @StillJohnCA @AOC I find buffoons far more benign than the GOP; some of whom are far more shrewd, conniving, malicious, lawless and amoral than your average buffoon. But what would an octogenarian know? Joyce I learn so much fr your parsing of the law. AOC I greatly admire your intelligence & guts" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Bleeps happen 😂 https://t.co/Fo4IwZuwrS" / Twitter noting Ryan Grim on Twitter: "Love that @AOC got bleeped out in the Post. We call them “grown up words” in our house. [url]https://t.co/v9McdW3noG https://t.co/JYQvSdo8fL" / Twitter[/url]
That WaPo article noted Democrats' efforts to appease the Republican Party, continuing with
None of it calmed Republicans, as younger lawmakers see it, so why not try something else? “The older members really cling to the idea that things are going to go ‘back to normal’ ” after Trump, Ocasio-Cortez told me. “For us, it’s never been normal, and before that the bipartisanship was s—ty anyway and gave us the War on Drugs, DOMA” — the Defense of Marriage Act, which barred federal recognition or benefits for same-sex couples — “and stripping the leg[islative] branch of everything.”
Donna Dishman on Twitter: "@ryangrim @AOC The Profanity President: Trump’s Four-Letter Vocabulary https://t.co/7SWMET3Vvw" / Twitter

John Creighton on Twitter: "@ryangrim @AOC I’m in my 50s but still this is so on point! I’ve noticed it independently. The major initiatives Democrats have “compromised” & “worked across the aisle on” in the last 30 years - mandatory minimum sentencing, Wall Street deregulation, the Iraq War - have all ended in disaster." / Twitter
Robby Stern on Twitter: "@jwcreighton3 @ryangrim @AOC The GOP never returns the favor. Mandatory mimimums, welfare reform, and Wall Street deregulation didn’t stop the GOP from impeaching Clinton nor did voting for Iraq stop prevent Democrat losses in the 2002 midterms." / Twitter

Dave Horn on Twitter: "@ryangrim @AOC In our house, we just call them, "words," and explain how they are just arbitrarily determined to be "bad" or "grown up words." If something is "shitty," there's nothing whatever wrong with saying it's "shitty."" / Twitter
SP on Twitter: "@ryangrim @AOC I think this is the first time I've seen/heard AOC curse. I kinda thought she was one of those people who never curse. 😆" / Twitter

ian2 on Twitter: "@ryangrim @AOC Republicans, in '90's: We need to fight tooth & nail! Dems: We need to work with the GOP R's, '08: Fight & obstruct Obama! D's: We need to work with the GOP R's, '16: We're winning! D's: We need to work with the GOP Young D's: We need to take the fight to the GOP! D's: Oh crap..." / Twitter

Ryan Grim on Twitter: "Love that @AOC got bleeped out in the Post. We call them “grown up words” in our house. [url]https://t.co/v9McdW3noG https://t.co/JYQvSdo8fL" / Twitter[/url] showing a screenshot of the context of "grab them by the pussy" -- not very pretty.

H. Eric Loewe on Twitter: "@AOC RT @nowthisnews ‘You know I’m totally off-script right now?’ — Trump gave an absurd, profanity-laced, 2-hour speech at CPAC https://t.co/YSI5DRH9kD" / Twitter - only a bit of profanity included in that snippet.

Haunted by the Reagan era - The Washington Post - "Past defeats still scare older Democratic leaders — but not the younger generation"
Newly elected Democrats in the House of Representatives spent June 27 with the sinking feeling that it was happening again: Their party was going to cave to President Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on a viscerally emotional issue. Just after a searing photo circulated of a father and his young daughter who had drowned in each other’s arms while fleeing for the sanctuary of U.S. shores, Democrats in Congress let a GOP-drafted spending bill go through that did nothing to address conditions for detained immigrant children — abandoning a House version that would have ordered improvements. House leaders blamed Senate Democrats for capitulating; Senate Democrats attacked the House for poor negotiating.
AOC, Rashida Tlaib, and Ilhan Omar were outraged.
Frustration with the refusal to stand up for principle is boiling over among younger Democrats. On issue after issue — impeachment, Medicare-for-all, a $15 minimum wage, free public college, a Green New Deal — the answer from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) and other Democratic leaders is consistent: Now is not the time; the country isn’t ready. Push too fast or too far, and there’ll be a backlash.
The article then discussed the 1980 elections, where Ronald Reagan won in 44 states and 12 Democratic Senators were replaced by Republicans, including some very prominent ones. Before that, in 1972, George McGovern, the Left's favorite, lost miserably to Richard Nixon. Part of that was divisions in the Democratic Party, between labor unions and the New Left, an old Democratic constituency and a new one. The New Left considered the labor-union side to be Cold-Warrior backward-looking fuddy-duddy fossils, and the labor-union side returned the dislike. AFL-CIO head George Meany noted about the 1972 NY delegation that "They've got six open fags and only three AFL-CIO representatives!" There was even a hard-hat riot against some left-wingers.

Then all the post-1980 Democratic wimpiness and meekness, like being unwiling to object to the Iraq War and not willing to take the moral high ground on healthcare. Like Obama not willing to take the moral high ground on universal coverage, preferring technocratic arguments like how it will reduce budget deficits.
For people under a certain age, this slinking in the corner is deeply strange behavior. Young people in the 1990s watched Bill Clinton work with Republicans — to overhaul welfare, try to cut Social Security, deregulate Wall Street — only to see them turn around and impeach him. In the 2000s, they watched Democrats halfheartedly support a war they opposed. Then Obama tried to compromise with Republicans on the size of a post-crash stimulus and the nature of the Affordable Care Act.

For the newcomers, this is completely foreign. To them, Republicans shouldn’t be feared, they should be beaten. Ocasio-Cortez told me that she treats Republicans like buffoons because that’s how they’ve behaved for as long as she can remember. “Even before I was of voting age, I saw Republicans accuse the Obamas of doing a ‘terrorist fist bump,’ so they’ve been clowns since I was a teen,” she said.
Of the 2020 Dem Pres candidates, only Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are unapologetically progressive, and they are outside the Democratic establishment.

AOC phone-banked for Barack Obama's first campaign, and she took a Chinatown bus back to NYC to cast her vote for him.
“A lot of us were politicized under Obama,” Varshini Prakash, a co-founder of the Sunrise Movement, which focuses on climate change, told me. “We were like, ‘We don’t need to take control of the government, because . . . there’s this benevolent figure in the government who likes us and cares about the issues we care about, or at least says he does, and all we need to do is convince him of the right course of action.’ And that proved to be untrue.”
Obama was far from the right wing's portrayal of him as a left-wing ogre. Not jailing any Wall Street executive for fraud, being inadequate on health-care reform, not prosecuting any predecessor-admin official for torture, being the Deporter in Chief of illegal immigrants, downplaying "climate change" in favor of "clean energy", ... The latter made possible such greenwashing as "clean coal".
Ocasio-Cortez said she has seen how fear shapes senior members of her caucus and their approach to politics. “When it comes to defending why we don’t . . . push visionary legislation, I hear the line so frequently from senior members, ‘I want to win,’ ” she said. “But what they mean by that is, ‘I only want to introduce bills that have a 100 percent chance of passing almost unanimously.’ But for new members, what’s important isn’t just winning but fighting. I don’t care about losing in the short term, because we know we’re fighting for the long term.”
Then about her joining a protest at Nancy Pelosi's office for a green-jobs guarantee. She would join them, but the others would have to demand more.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "That public “whatever” is called public sentiment.
And wielding the power to shift it is how we actually achieve meaningful change in this country. https://t.co/u6JtgwwRsk" / Twitter
noting
Josh Jamerson on Twitter: "Speaker Pelosi says ⁦⁦@AOC⁩, ⁦@IlhanMN⁩, ⁦@AyannaPressley⁩ and ⁦⁦@RashidaTlaib “have their public whatever and their Twitter world. But they didn’t have any following. They’re four people and that’s how many votes they got.” https://t.co/PJk8nS63OG" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I find it strange when members act as though social media isn’t important.
They set millions of 💵 on 🔥 to run TV ads so people can see their message.
I haven’t dialed for dollars *once* this year, & have more time to do my actual job. Yet we’d rather campaign like it’s 2008." / Twitter

I would not want to be so complacent about a social-media-only strategy. Nevertheless, I think that reducing the cost of campaigning would be a good way of getting $$$ out of politics.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I don’t believe it was a good idea for Dems to blindly trust the Trump admin when so many kids have died in their custody. It’s a huge mistake.
This admin also refuses to hand over docs to Congress on the whereabouts of families. People’s lives are getting bargained, & for what? https://t.co/h7gP8Wous1" / Twitter
noting
Matt Stoller on Twitter: "This is a bet by Pelosi that @aoc is wrong and that the Trump administration will do the right thing on the border with the money Congress just appropriated. Not a bet I'd make but ok. https://t.co/QRb6Ye28h4" / Twitter

I have zero interest in professional sports, but I must note this:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "At this point we shouldn’t even be asking for #EqualPay for the #USWMNT - we should demand they be paid at least twice as much 😉 https://t.co/VXITg24UB3" / Twitter noting
Nancy Armour on Twitter: "US fans now chanting "Equal pay! Equal pay!" A reminder that the entire #USWNT is suing US Soccer, and Pinoe lit FIFA up yesty for its abysmal treatment of the women's game." / Twitter
That's the US Women's National Soccer Team. US: soccer = everywhere else: football

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "“I know that, like every woman of the people, I have more strength than I appear to have.”
- Evita Perón https://t.co/IH7y7C54ip" / Twitter
noting
New York Post on Twitter: "Trump compared AOC to Evita, according to new book [url]https://t.co/miVzHdLlrH https://t.co/SWaNERsaa9" / Twitter[/url]

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "“I had watched for many years and seen how a few rich families held much of Argentina's wealth and power in their hands. So the government brought in an eight hour working day, sickness pay and fair wages to give poor workers a fair go.”
- Evita Perón" / Twitter

She was the wife of Juan Perón, a rather demagogic populist leader of Argentina in the mid 20th cy. Like Eleanor Roosevelt and Hillary Clinton, she was an activist in her own right.

Trump compared AOC to Evita, according to new book notes Trump calls Ocasio-Cortez 'Evita' in new book American Carnage | US news | The Guardian
Donald Trump has compared Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to Eva Perón, saying that though he first saw the New York congresswoman “ranting and raving like a lunatic on a street corner” and thinks “she knows nothing”, she has “a certain talent”.

“That’s Evita,” he said.

... Perón, known popularly as Evita, was an actor married to Argentinian president Juan Perón who rose to fame as a champion of working-class and female voters before dying of cancer in 1952, aged 33. Revered by many in her own country, she has been played in the West End and on Broadway by Elaine Paige and Patti LuPone and on film by Madonna.

Trump has not previously made the comparison. But he did write in a 2004 book that his “favorite Broadway show is Evita by Andrew Lloyd Webber, starring Patti LuPone. I saw it six times, mostly with [his first wife] Ivana.”
Then about Donald Trump himself comparing himself to Evita, someone who went from show business to politics.

She was the wife of Juan Perón, a rather demagogic populist leader of Argentina in the mid 20th cy. Like Eleanor Roosevelt and Hillary Clinton, she was an activist in her own right.
Like Stalin, but less of a mustache. :)

Not unlike AOC herself.

In American Carnage, Trump says he first saw Ocasio-Cortez during her primary against Crowley, while watching TV with political advisers.

“I see a young woman,” he says, “ranting and raving like a lunatic on a street corner, and I said: ‘That’s interesting, go back.’”

Alberta then says the Trump “became enamored” and “starstruck” by Ocasio-Cortez.

“I called her Eva Perón,” Trump says. “I said, ‘That’s Eva Perón. That’s Evita.”

Alberta writes that Trump, whom he interviewed for the book in late 2018, “places a comically exotic emphasis on the nickname: Ah-vit-tah.” He also reports that Trump treated Ocasio-Cortez’s victory over Crowley as a chance to remind his advisers he is “good at talent. I spotted talent. She’s got a certain talent.”

Trump does row back on his praise, telling Alberta: “She’s got talent. Now, that’s the good news. The bad news: she doesn’t know anything. She’s got a good sense, an ‘it’ factor, which is pretty good, but she knows nothing. But with time, she has real potential.”
This is from the book American Carnage: On the Front Lines of the Republican Civil War and the Rise of President Trump (Hardcover) | Politics and Prose Bookstore by Tim Alberta, due to come out on July 16.
The 2016 election was a watershed for the United States. But, as Tim Alberta explains in American Carnage, to understand Trump’s victory is to view him not as the creator of this era of polarization and bruising partisanship, but rather as its most manifest consequence.
The end of George Bush II's presidency left the Republican Party in disarray, and they helplessly watched as Barack Obama got elected and as they noticed demographic trends turning against them -- at first. The Republicans counterattacked, though they were divided into factions, absolutists like Jim Jordan and Ted Cruz, and pragmatists like John Boehner and Mitch McConnell. Then along came Donald Trump, an outsider, someone in neither faction.

She wasn't attacked, but that GoFundMe was just in case she was. As to feeling threatened, what were they afraid of?
BTW, that's 163 cm - about average for American women.
She is an outspoken woman. They hated Hilary Clinton, and Ocasio-Cortez is even younger, and if she doesn't burn out (or corrupt out), could be around for quite a while. So they want to put her "in her place". Misogyny, simply just misogyny.

And these are the same people who crapped their pants over the "deplorables" comment. It truly is a depressing time to be an American.

Even worse, she's a *Hispanic* woman. It's no coincidence that the other people they're screaming about are reps. Omar and Tlaib.

Are they actually concerned with antisemitism? They elected Dolt 45 president, so obviously not. If you elect a guy who, among other things, tweeted a picture of Hillary Clinton next to a Star of David over a pile of money, and who openly stated that Jewish people have dual loyalties, you can't claim to stand against antisemitism, at all. But there's a very long streak of white supremacism and misogyny in the current GOP - the voter suppression attempts, the birtherism, the white-genocide peddling, the increasing legal restricrtions on women, and so forth. And once you realize that, you have your answer.

What a sorority pillow fight.

Nancy Pelosi Goes After Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib and They Swing Back
“All these people have their public whatever and their Twitter world,” Pelosi told Times columnist Maureen Dowd. “But they didn’t have any following. They’re four people and that’s how many votes they got.”
AOC responded that "That public ‘whatever’ is called public sentiment" and noted that that's how to make change. Martha Raddatz of ABC interviewed Rashida Tlaib:
“You know people like us, people like me and Ayanna, Ilhan and Alexandria, we’re reflective of our nation in many ways. But many of us didn’t run to be first of anything, but more people like us have been missing in the halls of Congress. More people like us, people of color have been missing in the chamber because most of us—and Ayanna Pressley says it more beautifully—people that are closest to the pain needs to be at the table making these decisions,” Tlaib replied, Mediaite reports.
Then how such people know what it's like to be treated as subhuman. As to what she would say to NP:
“Honor the fact we are there, that 650,000 people are represented by each and every single one of us, that there is some sort of, I think in many ways, something special about having a refugee, having a woman that, you know, has experienced alone what incarceration has done to her family, right,” said Tlaib, Mediaite reports. “All of us have these experiences that I think have been missing in the halls of Congress.
Pelosi quip riles Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib
Pelosi said "our bill" was the best Democrats could do. She criticized the four liberal freshman – whom Dowd referred to as "the Squad" – for being the only members of their party to vote against the original version of the legislation passed by the Democratic-led House, which included some protections for migrant children.

"All these people have their public whatever and their Twitter world," Pelosi said, according to Dowd. "But they didn’t have any following. They’re four people and that’s how many votes they got."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter:
"“A glass of water could’ve [beat a 20-yr incumbt]”
“The Green Dream or whatever”
“Their public whatever”
Those aren’t quotes from me; they‘re from the Speaker. Having respect for ourselves doesn’t mean we lack respect for her. It means we won’t let everyday people be dismissed. https://t.co/VMRkcd8xlL" / Twitter

noting
Andrea Ruth on Twitter: "From @JayCaruso in @Independent today —>> @AOC shouldn't insult @SpeakerPelosi. She should learn from her https://t.co/7iiwcc9x04" / Twitter
About that first one, NP was right about the main election, I think. But if it's about the primary, then she is dead wrong. Nobody expected Joe Crowley to be unseated by a newcomer.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Unprecedented flooding is quickly becoming a new normal.
Despite that, Republicans are tripling down on fossil fuels w/no plan to transition off them, or make the critical infra investments we need to prep for the climate crisis.
Each day of inaction puts more of us in danger. https://t.co/J8yqzguN5O" / Twitter
noting
Floods - Washington Area Floods
Flooding in Washington, D.C.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Climate change intensifies flooding, wildfires, & extreme weather. It’s more than 1 day or 1 storm; it’s all of them. Places are flooding where they haven’t before; there are 90-degree days in Alaska in June. The GOP will mock & sow confusion until it’s their home swept away." / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Climate change intensifies flooding, wildfires, & extreme weather. It’s more than 1 day or 1 storm; it’s all of them. Places are flooding where they haven’t before; there are 90-degree days in Alaska in June. The GOP will mock & sow confusion until it’s their home swept away." / Twitter
Like this: Trump axed a rule that would help protect coastal properties like Mar-a-Lago from flooding - Vox - very close to sea level and very close to the ocean.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "The severity of today’s flash flood “has climatologically <1% chance of occurring in a given year.”
Floods that were once rare (“100-year floods”) are now expected to happen more regularly.
I learned in FSC hearings that certain key flood maps haven’t updated in *decades.* 🌎 https://t.co/uM2yHJ2HRl" / Twitter
noting
(1) Alex Lamers on Twitter: "Flash Flood Emergency for the District and northern Virginia suburbs. #DCA measured 3.3” in an hour; that has climatologically less than a 1% chance of occurring in a given year. https://t.co/ymzn8SVheC" / Twitter noting
NWS DC/Baltimore on Twitter: "If you are in this FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY area, travel will be EXTRAORDINARILY dangerous, including washouts, #flooding over roads. Stay out of low areas, if in a low area that may flood, seek higher ground. Stay off the roads if at all possible. This is not the "usual" flooding. https://t.co/RwvkQDdfUl" / Twitter
FSC = US House Committee on Financial Services

(1) Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "When Hurricane Sandy hit NYC in 2012, FEMA’s flood maps - which impact the National Flood Insurance Program (!!) - hadn’t been updated since *1983,* before the government even acknowledged climate change was real and connected to fossil fuels. https://t.co/3z4ig50XF5" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Frontline communities are already impacted by the climate crisis & environmental injustice. That’s why they’re named in the #GreenNewDeal. Fixing the pipes in Flint, cleaning the air in the Bronx & transitioning away from pipelines on reservations sets an example for our future. https://t.co/GmwZEHYJ87" / Twitter noting
Public Citizen on Twitter: ".@AOC: You want to tell people that the climate crisis is an elitist issue? Tell that to the kids in the South Bronx who are suffering from the highest rates of asthma in the country. Tell that to the families in Flint whose kids have rising blood lead levels and brain damage. https://t.co/WKUU0FUFG4" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Today I am joining @repblumenauer and @SenSanders in pushing Congress to acknowledge the climate emergency. The US isn’t leading on climate, and we must. Let’s join the four leading nations & 740 local governments that have declared a climate emergency. https://t.co/c8FFju2dMr" / Twitter noting
Sanders and Ocasio-Cortez move to declare climate crisis official emergency | Environment | The Guardian
Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon - in the picture are BS and AOC with Rep. Pramila Jayapal and Rep. Ilhan Omar.
A Sanders spokesperson said: “President Trump has routinely declared phoney national emergencies to advance his deeply unpopular agenda, like selling Saudi Arabia bombs that Congress had blocked.

“On the existential threat of climate change, Trump insists on calling it a hoax. Senator Sanders is proud to partner with his House colleagues to challenge this absurdity and have Congress declare what we all know: we are facing a climate emergency that requires a massive and immediate federal mobilization.”

... Blumenauer’s office said he decided to draft the resolution after Donald Trump declared an emergency at the US border with Mexico so he could pursue building a wall between the two countries.

... The resolution says: “The global warming caused by human activities, which increase emissions of greenhouse gases, has resulted in a climate emergency” that “severely and urgently impacts the economic and social well-being, health and safety, and national security of the United States”.
FINAL Climate Emergency Resolution | Global Warming | Greenhouse Gas
Disappointed by the lack of explicit mention of renewable energy.

H. Eric Loewe on Twitter: "@AOC @repblumenauer @SenSanders MT @_SJPeace_ "Historically we mobilized our entire economy around WAR, but I thought to myself, it doesn't have to be that way...to revamp our economy..we will have to mobilize our entire economy around saving ourselves & taking care of this planet"- @AOC https://t.co/9vap7qOLet" / Twitter

Oversight Committee on Twitter: "ICYMI: @JohnKerry praises Rep @AOC efforts to combat #climatechange as opposed to #PresidentTrump who refuses to lead on this issue. “Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez has in fact offered more leadership in one day or in one week than #PresidentTrump has in his lifetime on this. " https://t.co/iQEtLpHZWA" / Twitter

Ocasio-Cortez, Sanders lead push to declare climate emergency | TheHill
“This is a political crisis of inaction. It’s going to take political will, political courage in order for us to treat this issue with the urgency that the next generation needs,” Ocasio-Cortez said on a call with reporters to discuss the resolution.

Blumenauer said he got the idea from President Trump after he declared a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border earlier this year in order to transfer funds to build a border wall.

AOC's green thumb:
"Growing your own food is very satisfying.
We like to pop outside, pluck some greens, &throw them on the pan after a rinse.
It’s WAY better for the environment, too. Gardens can sequester more carbon than lawns.
Plus: no mowing (&no gasoline)! Let’s bring back victory gardens🌱
https://t.co/GjgocVMYnI" / Twitter
noting
NowThis on Twitter: "Americans use roughly 7 billion gallons of water a day to irrigate lawns. What if instead of well-kept grass, we used our time and resources to fill our lawns with fruits and vegetables? https://t.co/whcAQY0RrR" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "One of the most devastating aspects of throwing people in jail is that they can lose jobs, miss rent, & lose their home, triggering a cycle of poverty w/ generational consequences.
Many don’t even learn about special jail exemptions until they’re given to the rich & connected ⬇️ https://t.co/1GybilBiFI" / Twitter

Daniel Dale on Twitter: "Epstein's jail time: 13 months; private section of a county jail; permitted to leave to work from an office for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. https://t.co/7AV78xk8YF" / Twitter
Secretary Acosta on Twitter: "With the evidence available more than a decade ago, federal prosecutors insisted that Epstein go to jail, register as a sex offender and put the world on notice that he was a sexual predator." / Twitter
Secretary Acosta on Twitter: "Now that new evidence and additional testimony is available, the NY prosecution offers an important opportunity to more fully bring him to justice." / Twitter
Seems like Jeff Epstein is getting a very cushy jail as he awaits his trial.

I'd called it a sorority pillow fight because it seems like such a silly squabble. A male version might be a pissing contest.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "“Catfight” is the sexist term Republicans use when two adult women happen to disagree with each other.
The reason they find it so novel &exciting is bc the GOP haven’t elected enough women themselves to see that it can, in fact, be a normal occurrence in a functioning democracy. https://t.co/s6eMMmvzrd" / Twitter
noting
New York Post on Twitter: "Kellyanne Conway mocks 'huge catfight' between Pelosi and AOC [url]https://t.co/c0F18MNnj1 https://t.co/LOI3txHRvf" / Twitter[/url] noting Kellyanne Conway mocks 'catfight' between AOC and Pelosi

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "(Being a woman does not mean you’re immune from being bad to women or genderqueer people. Just like being a man doesn’t mean you don’t have a role in the movement for gender equity! We are all in this together.)" / Twitter

The New Yorker Radio on Twitter: "David Remnick talks with @AOC about her first year in Congress, visiting immigrant detention centers, the 2020 Presidential race, and more. https://t.co/ttj9bBUaCc" / Twitter noting Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on the 2020 Presidential Race and Why We Should Break Up Homeland Security | The New Yorker Radio Hour | WNYC Studios

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Trust me when I say you don’t want to get caught in @AyannaPressley’s righteous fire🔥
Kellyanne is way over her head defending caging children & families in conditions that have killed almost 30 people on her admin’s watch.
She may play games with people’s lives, but we don’t. https://t.co/7LDphWno2J" / Twitter
noting
Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: ".@KellyannePolls oh hi Distraction Becky. Remember that time your boss tore babies from their mothers’ arms and threw them in cages? Yeah take a seat and keep my name out of your lying mouth. https://t.co/dS8saIssX8" / Twitter noting
Kellyanne Conway on Twitter: "Major Meow🐱 Mashup with @SpeakerPelosi brushing back anti-humanitarian border aid fresh-women @AOC @IlhanMN @AyannaPressley @RashidaTlaib [url]https://t.co/IfO5sL78As https://t.co/DuYHeuWByu" / Twitter[/url]

".@KellyannePolls curious how you’re going to defend the child sexual assault that seems to be happening on your watch.
Remind me again how sexual assault is a “funding” problem?
Bc last I checked ending this is about holding abusers to account, something you can’t seem to do.
https://t.co/WS1Op0XtjZ" / Twitter
noting
NBC Latino on Twitter: "Migrant kids in overcrowded Arizona border station allege sex assault, retaliation from U.S. agents, by ⁦@jacobsoboroff⁩ ⁦@JuliaEAinsley⁩ https://t.co/TEePPMrAA4" / Twitter noting
Migrant kids in overcrowded Arizona border station allege sex assault, retaliation from U.S. agents
A 16-year-old Guatemalan boy held in Yuma, Arizona, said he and others in his cell complained about the taste of the water and food they were given. The Customs and Border Protection agents took the mats out of their cell in retaliation, forcing them to sleep on hard concrete.

A 15-year-old girl from Honduras described a large, bearded officer putting his hands inside her bra, pulling down her underwear and groping her as part of what was meant to be a routine pat down in front of other immigrants and officers.
I listened to that New Yorker Radio Hour interview, and it was excellent. AOC comes across as very thoughtful.

She'd prefer being concerned with policies than with labels like "socialism". In Congress, she was startled to discover how centralized it was, with the Speaker, the Minority Leader, and committee chairpeople being very powerful. Justin Amash grumbled about that. She rejected the Select Committee on Climate Change because it didn't do enough and because members would not have to refuse to accept campaign contributions from fossil-fuel companies.

Then about the horrors that she saw when she visited those detention facilities and the secret Facebook groups of a lot of the facilities' guards. She does concede that Obama was far from perfect, though he never broke up families. She uses the term "concentration camp" deliberately, and she thinks that the Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement are irredeemable and ought to be abolished. Not surprisingly, she does not trust the Trump Administration very much.

She thinks that it's a good idea to be able to apologize and acknowledge one's mistakes. She won't endorse anyone yet, and she likes both Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. About Joe Biden, she said that she'd support him if he got nominated, though she would make no secret of her lack of enthusiasm for him. Another reason is that "I need to do my job", she said laughing.

As to how she unwinds, she likes to go to committee meetings and sit back. Not having to do a lot of fundraising helps her there. Beyond that, she takes breaks from social media every now and then. She considers hurtful something nasty said by someone she respects, and that's out of disappointment. For further unwinding, she likes to garden. She has a small community plot where she grows collard greens and spinach and peppers and the like.

I dunno. Ya have a crush on her. Yeah. We get that. But we could go to her Twitter feed for all this. No need to post it all here.

I dunno. Ya have a crush on her. Yeah. We get that. But we could go to her Twitter feed for all this. No need to post it all here.

I appreciate it being posted here.

We can discuss the tweet topics amongst ourselves and not get engulfed in the bigger twit fights.

Back
Top Bottom