• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Hollywood has done an excellent job of persuading people that Nazis are bad people; Villainous, twisted, and evil. But that's wrong. The truly terrifying fact about Nazis is that they are ordinary. Very, very, ordinary.
The Pinochet Coup used "ordinary people" to pull it off. Young, inexperienced soldiers who didn't know what they were doing until it had actually been done.

I'm not buying the 'Nazi's were like you and me' argument. Yes, people are people. But the Germans bought into some deluded dream, and the soldiers and SS enacted some unbelievably inhumane acts... prior to the death camps. There was time to say, ahhh... this is wrong. Granted, we are kind of in that period in the US where shitbag a-holes are almost ejaculating in their pants over the idea of children being separated from their parents, living in squalor.

That's Nazism. And it's very subtle, and terrifyingly familiar.

All you need to do is to stop caring about people who are not like you; And start caring more about order, discipline, and law.
At least the Germans were hungry and desperate... I have no idea what the excuse is for the assholes on the right-wing in America.

She wasn't attacked, but that GoFundMe was just in case she was. As to feeling threatened, what were they afraid of?
BTW, that's 163 cm - about average for American women.
She is an outspoken woman. They hated Hilary Clinton, and Ocasio-Cortez is even younger, and if she doesn't burn out (or corrupt out), could be around for quite a while. So they want to put her "in her place". Misogyny, simply just misogyny.

And these are the same people who crapped their pants over the "deplorables" comment. It truly is a depressing time to be an American.

Rep. Judy Chu, of California, was among the congressional leaders who visited the centers with Ocasio-Cortez and also recounted what she saw on Twitter.

“‘If you want water, just drink from a toilet.’ That’s what border patrol told one thirsty woman we met on today’s #DemsAtTheBorder trip,” Chu tweeted, along with a video in which she described the conditions.

“What we saw was appalling and disgusting,” the congresswoman said. “There seriously has to be some changes.”

Monday’s border visit was met with outrage from local Trump supporters, who were caught on video heckling the Democratic lawmakers in both English and Spanish as they attempted to hold a press conference.

“Go take care of your country!” shouted one man, who repeatedly yelled “Trump 2020” with several others.

“You guys are retarded!” he added. “Cry me a river!”

Ocasio-Cortez, who spoke at the presser, got told to “go back to New York City” at one point.

“Nobody wants you here!” a heckler screamed.

“Did you bring your onion?!” another asked, blasting Ocasio-Cortez for shedding “fake tears.”
https://nypost.com/2019/07/01/aoc-s...-drink-toilet-water-after-tense-border-visit/

A Congressional Tour of Border Patrol Stations Just “Went Off the Rails” – VICE News - good summary, not many pictures

NowThis on Twitter: "‘What we saw today was unconscionable.’ — @AOC spoke out against migrant detention camps after witnessing them firsthand https://t.co/2nkmiaKTck" / Twitter

ABC News Politics on Twitter: "Rep. Ayanna Pressley: "I learned a long time ago that when change happens it's either because people see the light or they feel the fire. "We're lifting up these stories in the hopes that you will see the light. And if you don't, we will bring the fire." [url]https://t.co/nlBLDXa7Cs https://t.co/98XCO5embR" / Twitter[/url]

Dr.Debbie Almontaser on Twitter: "America has no idea what’s happening at its borders. These pics made me shudder in my own skin. Now I can understand why @AOC referred to them as concentration camps. This is not who we are as a nation! America is better than that, greater than that! #ClosetheCamps https://t.co/2AjVnR3syz" / Twitter

On other AOC-related subjects, I went to NBC's Saturday Night Live home page and I looked for videos featuring satires of her. I checked out the Michael Cohen one, and I was disappointed. It showed mostly Republicans getting worked up over him testifying. AOC barely figured. I would have liked her questioning of him, like:

AOC: Mr. Cohen, I want to know how your client assessed his property for insurance purposes.
MC: He pushed its value way up. Gotta collect a big sum if something happens to it.
AOC: Thank you. Now how did he assess his property for tax purposes?
MC: He pushed its value way down. Gotta wiggle out of paying taxes.
AOC: Thank you. Is it reasonable to conclude that your client's property jumps around in value as is convenient for his client?
MC: Yes, ma'am.
AOC: You have done a great job, Mr. Cohen. You have revealed that President Trump has a remarkable business skill, one that has gone totally unappreciated until now.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Hey, @kilmeade: What was the last “party” you went to where you: - Were locked in a cage under armed guard - Drank out of a toilet - & given food of such poor nutritional value, for so long, that it gave you mouth sores? https://t.co/UfO8EQzRbI" / Twitter noting courtney hagle on Twitter: "Fox & Friends' Brian Kilmeade likens overcrowded detention facilities at the border to having a house party with 100 people and only two and a half bathrooms: https://t.co/tfOJ49b55N" / Twitter
President Trump allegedly spends much of his day watching "Fox and Friends", and some of his staffers supposedly try to influence him by appearing on that program. So expect him to repeat whatever they say about the camps.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I can’t understate how disturbing it was that CBP officers were openly disrespectful of the Congressional tour. If officers felt comfortable violating agreements in front of their *own* management & superiors, that tells us the agency has lost all control of their own officers. https://t.co/zZjNaodplr" / Twitter noting Congresswoman Madeleine Dean on Twitter: "We were met with hostility from the guards, but this is nothing compared to their treatment of the people being held. The detainees are constantly abused and verbally harassed with no cause. Deprived physically and dehumanized mentally - everyday. This is a human rights issue." / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "When you pair: - 9,500 current + former CBP officers are part of a violently racist & sexually violent secret Facebook group - Corroborating accounts of abuse - CBP couldn’t control their own officers for a Congressional tour What else do you call that but a rogue agency?" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "And now CBP is pushing easily disprovable lies about members of Congress. Truly nuts. And to think this week the GOP & Dem “Problem Solvers Caucus” fought to eliminate ALL accountability amendments from funding. They just wrote a multi-billion dollar blank check for misconduct. https://t.co/6KIFc5KT6B" / Twitter noting Adam Klasfeld on Twitter: "Something that got little attention yesterday: In its mild and belated condemnation of its members’ social media posts, the Border Patrol’s union repeated a lie about one of their victims: @AOC. The union claimed she called Border Patrol guards “Nazis.” She didn’t. https://t.co/FgPwMTQ5r6" / Twitter
"They called us Nazis! Waaahhh!!!" AOC clearly doesn't need to do that to make her case.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It is important to note that many of these children speak indigenous languages. Some I met were budding trilingual (speak K’iche’, Spanish & learning English). We are caging indigenous people. (HHS shelters, if kids can get to them, have translation lines they call to help.) https://t.co/goruiMU5tt" / Twitter
Many of them are from the small countries south of Mexico, and many of them continue to speak their pre-conquest languages.

after all, if someone breaks the law, they should expect bad things to happen to them.

That's Nazism in a nutshell.

Huh? That's not "Nazism", that's law and order.

Most people think that for example political radicals who assault those who disagree with them should be punished.
That's not being a Nazi, that's being a person with common sense.

She is an outspoken woman. They hated Hilary Clinton, and Ocasio-Cortez is even younger, and if she doesn't burn out (or corrupt out), could be around for quite a while. So they want to put her "in her place". Misogyny, simply just misogyny.
Politicians often get attacked verbally. Just because AOC and Hillary are women does not mean treating them the same way as male politicians is "misogyny".
Why should female politicians have to be treated with kid gloves?

And these are the same people who crapped their pants over the "deplorables" comment. It truly is a depressing time to be an American.
Hillary was punching down - a powerful politician verbally beating up on the people. It was also stupid as she needed the votes of those people.
Verbally attacking politicians is the opposite - it's punching up, at the powerful. Speaking truth to power, as it were.

The Pinochet Coup used "ordinary people" to pull it off. Young, inexperienced soldiers who didn't know what they were doing until it had actually been done.
The Pinochet coup happened because a Marxist president who got only 36% of the vote and became president on a technicality tried to give himself dictatorial powers and ruling by decree in order to implement Marxism. It's a myth that Pinochet somehow abolished Chilean democracy. Allende already effectively did that.
At least Pinochet listened to actual economists in order to fix the Chilean economy after Allende's deforms ruined it.

Derec, what is a real concentration camp? Do the British concentration camps of the Boer War qualify? The US ones in the Philippines in the Spanish-American War? The US ones for Japanese-Americans in WWII?
After WWII, the term "concentration camp" became indelibly linked to Nazi camps. AOC and her allies are invoking that term deliberately to link the Trump administration with Nazis. If her intention was to compare the migrant detention camps to say Japanese internment camps she could have used that term. She used the Nazi term deliberately.

AOC wanted purely humanitarian aid, not the bullshit that Mitch McConnell and his friends added on.
Border security is NOT bullshit. Also, AOC is not (luckily) a dictator of the US. Why should she get her way over the wishes of the Senate and the President?

For them to harm her.
No, she definitely used a reflexive pronoun. Only AOC can harm herself.

Derec, if someone talked about how great it would be to neuter you in the literal anatomical sense, would you dismiss it as a joke?
I am not a public figure. I am not a politician.
This is pretty standard for politicians. Why is it acceptable for say Trump but not Saint AOC?

Derec, if someone talked about how great it would be to neuter you in the literal anatomical sense, would you dismiss it as a joke?
I am not a public figure. I am not a politician.
This is pretty standard for politicians.

Maybe on 4chan in an incel or other hate group, but not in usual conversation.

After WWII, the term "concentration camp" became indelibly linked to Nazi camps. AOC and her allies are invoking that term deliberately to link the Trump administration with Nazis. If her intention was to compare the migrant detention camps to say Japanese internment camps she could have used that term. She used the Nazi term deliberately.

So you're saying the meaning of the term has changed after WWII. So I say after Bonespurs we change it again, actually back to its original definition. Is that okay with you?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "How many migrant women has Kellyanne Conway touched? Hugged? Sat on a concrete floor with? Actually listened to? The answer is none. Her actions show she doesn’t believe all human beings are worthy of basic dignity. That‘s why she defends & muddies the clear and indefensible. https://t.co/NHMeI6Bx5r" / Twitter noting The Daily Beast on Twitter: "Kellyanne Conway calls @AOC a liar for claim that migrants are "drinking out of toilets" at border facility: "Everybody who has control over that facility" has "not heard of this." https://t.co/9MmWs2GhAX" / Twitter

Gili Getz 🔥 on Twitter: "Breaking!!! Young Jews with @NeverAgainActn are about to be arrested for blocking ICE building in solidarity with refugees and immigrants: “never again means never again for anyone” #JewsAgainstICE #NeverAgainMeans https://t.co/6KOYf3hozC" / Twitter
"Concentration camps" and AOC's "Never Again" about them have been rather controversial, it must be noted. But AOC claims that many of her Jewish constituents have been on her side in this issue.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "These are concentration camps. According to concentration camp experts, people begin to die due to overcrowding, neglect, and shortage of resources. We saw all three of those signs on our trip yesterday. Another person died yesterday. And those are the deaths we know about. https://t.co/MhujNAYohJ" / Twitter noting Gadi Schwartz on Twitter: "BREAKING: Office of the Inspector General releases new pictures of overcrowding at Border Patrol Facilities in TX. One senior manager calling this a “ticking time bomb.” #Immigration #ICE @NBCNews https://t.co/bQdde1LYmB" / Twitter
(emphasis mine)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "We just experienced *the hottest month ever recorded on Planet Earth.* Unless we act drastically now, it’s only going to get worse. What will that mean for our food, water, shelter, safety? We need a #GreenNewDeal. Now. https://t.co/MF7WuuQ4Pn" / Twitter noting Bill McKibben on Twitter: "European satellite agency concludes that June was the hottest month ever recorded on earth, our planet. https://t.co/qesjAC5yHn" / Twitter noting June was hottest ever recorded on Earth, European satellite agency announces | The Independent

So you're saying the meaning of the term has changed after WWII. So I say after Bonespurs we change it again, actually back to its original definition. Is that okay with you?
That's not how it works. WWII/Holocaust was a huge world event. The detention centers at the borders are a historical blip by comparison. And besides, they are not nearly as bad as conditions in migrant camps in places like Moria in Greece or the now demolished "Jungle" of Calais. Why is nobody referring to Moria as a "concentration camp"?

Maybe on 4chan in an incel or other hate group, but not in usual conversation.
On Internet in general, which is what this was. You can't have it both ways. You can't say that nasty memes about Trump are good but nasty memes about AOC are somehow unacceptable.

lpetrich;690043[url=https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1146120757178765314 said:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "We just experienced *the hottest month ever recorded on Planet Earth.* Unless we act drastically now, it’s only going to get worse.
I must know what drastic action AOC is taking in her own life.
For example, how did she get down to the border? Did she bike all the way down? Or take a solar-powered dirigible?

That's not how it works. WWII/Holocaust was a huge world event. The detention centers at the borders are a historical blip by comparison. And besides, they are not nearly as bad as conditions in migrant camps in places like Moria in Greece or the now demolished "Jungle" of Calais. Why is nobody referring to Moria as a "concentration camp"?

That's not how it work? Perhaps you could explain the rules.

The Holocaust was a horrific event and the numerous deaths that occurred in death camps has certainly made numerous the historical allusion to Nazis but the exclusivity claim of only being about Nazis is demonstrably false. We must trust logic against absolutist claims. A single counter-example can easily disprove such claim even though we already know it's false.

For example, Chippewa Herald-Telegram, 09 Sep 1961, page 4:
Noble explained the latter
statement when he said that
just before his release he was
sent into a prison camp about
300 miles south of Moscow. In
that prison he met and talked
many times with the first Mrs.
Nikita Khrushchev. Wife num-
ber two is also in a Russian
concentration camp. First De-
puty Mikoyan's first wife is in
a concentration camp. Stalin
had his first wife shot.

While 1 counter-example is enough to disprove a logical claim, there are thousands of such counter-examples. Thousands.

Here's another. Star-Phoenix, 16 May 1970, page 2:
--Hundreds of thousands of innocent people are rotting in Russian prisons
and concentration camps now, and their only "crime" is that they asked
for elementary human rights for their fellow-countrymen.

If I were to be a partisan, I'd point out that this must mean the right-wing is disrespecting the victims of Russian concentration camps. Hundreds of thousands of victims!

Oh, but these thousands upon thousands of references to Russian concentration camps gets even more interesting. Here's another. The Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle, 20 Mar 1981, page 2:
. Only hours earlier, the gaunt 34--
year-old one-time engineering
student was rousted from his cell
in a maximum security prison in
the heart of Moscow and told to
take his belongings with him. He
did not know it then, but his or-
deal of nearly eleven years in Rus-
sian concentration camps and
prisons was coming to an end.

Yes, so there you have it, based on Right-Wing Logic (TM), the claim is anti-semitic! [/sarcasm]

So are we distracted enough from the racism yet? Has it worked? Did the right accuse the left of racism and anti-semiticism so much that we started to believe it? I hope not.

If you're still not convinced, consider now we also know that the right-wing hates the troops. Because. You know. Vietnamese concentration camps. Yes, yes, another term. Remember all the POWs. Well, the Right hates them.

Of course, let's not forget the bigger issue of Operation Jade Helm and Death Panels. What a propaganda machine the Right Wing has!

AOC and other Democrats visit El Paso, Clint border facilities in Texas - Vox - organized by the Congressional Hispanic Caucus -- the article contains comments by Rep. Joaquín Castro (D-TX), Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-TX), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-CA), Rep. Norma Torres (D-CA), Rep. Sylvia Garcia (D-TX), Rep. Lori Trahan (D-MA), Rep. Joe Kennedy III (D-MA), Rep. Marc Veasey (D-TX), Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), Rep. Madeleine Dean (D-PA), Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Rep. Greg Stanton (D-AZ).

Jonathan M. Katz✍🏻 on Twitter: "I interviewed @AOC about what she saw inside the El Paso camps: a border guard taking selfies, detainees freezing in the "icebox," the Cuban woman who said they were told to drink from the toilet https://t.co/G2s7oEeiGS" / Twitter noting “The Whole Facility’s Culture Is Rotted From the Core”: What Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Saw Inside the El Paso Camps – Mother Jones
On Monday, Ocasio-Cortez was part of a 16-member congressional delegation that got a rare glimpse inside three highly fortified facilities: “Casa Franklin,” a downtown facility housing children run by the nonprofit Southwest Key; the US Border Patrol Station at Hondo Pass; and the Border Patrol station in Clint, Texas. Congressional staffers had privately worried that officials would sanitize and curtail their tour inside.

But the visit turned out to be more revealing than anyone had expected.
Then the interview.
So what was your impression?

I mean, it was pretty horrifying. The first CBP facility [at Hondo Pass], the thing that I was just so immediately struck by was how brazenly disrespectful the CBP officers were, from the beginning. From the jump.

We initially went into a conference room with all of the other CHC members. We sat down to get initially briefed on the conditions. And a lot of the other members who had been on several of these tours before started saying, “They’re filibustering. They’re trying to draw this beginning portion out as long as possible so we have as little time as possible with the actual communities inside.”
Then that ProPublica story, something that made them very defensive. Then into a surveillance-center room with lots of views of the camp. After an employee tried to take a selfie with the delegation, she got outraged at the "lack of professionalism" of personnel there. After a bit where she asked about the temperature of one of the rooms,
The fact that these officers had felt comfortable enough to use sarcasm in these circumstances tells me that the whole facility’s culture is rotted from the core, and prioritizes and incentivizes dehumanizing behavior.
Then she started speaking to some of the inmates, speaking in Spanish. The women there described how their children were taken away from them and how they were there for several days. They were from Cuba. After finding out about their inadequate nutrition and cleaning,
I spent a lot of time with those women. I considered just staying in there, and saying I wasn’t going to leave until they did, but then I got cajoled because they were saying we needed to see the kids in Clint. And so—

Cajoled by who?

I mean it was like, the office of the general counsel. And she was like, “You’re going to really want to see the kids in Clint.”
But AOC and the other Congresspeople found that Clint and the El Paso Border Station had been emptied out, with their inmates moved elsewhere.

As to calling these facilities concentration camps, she freely concedes that those facilities were started by the Obama Administration, and that the Trump Administration only made those facilities much worse. "He’s like, “Oh, here’s this great thing that will be really convenient to turn into a complete force for dehumanization.”" She started calling the facilities "concentration camps" as a way of publicizing how horrible they were. After noting some Democrats' complicity, she says "And so it’s not like the Republican Party is bad, and all the Democrats are good on this issue. There are Democrats on this issue that are horrible, and absolutely willing to aid and abet this depravity for political points."

After a lot of the politics of the recent appropriations bills for the facilities, she talks about subpoenaing the Department of Homeland Security. The DHS would not hand over anything, and she has had experience with officials' foot-dragging in the Oversight Committee.

Back
Top Bottom