• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

In Jan 15, 2018, AOC posted about Martin Luther King's advice for activists, in his book "Why We Can't Wait"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Let’s look at MLK’s writing.
Many people have heard of MLK’s Letter from a Birmingham Jail, but what some don’t know is that this letter is a chapter in his larger book, Why We Can’t Wait.
Here he outlines the urgency of protest and social change.
Here’s my tattered copy. https://t.co/i7PxlIJe2A" / Twitter

Shows a picture of AOC's copy of that book.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Chapters in Why We Can’t Wait include:
- The Negro Revolution- Why 1963?
- The Sword That Heals
- Letter from Birmingham Jail
- Black and White Together
- The Summer of our Discontent
- The Days to Come
Fun Fact: MLK mentions the plight of Puerto Ricans in the introduction 🇵🇷" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "MLK outlined four steps of a nonviolent campaign:
1. Collection of facts to determine the existence of injustice;
2. Negotiation
3. Self-Purification
4. Direct Action
Notice how much work and preparation went in before a single protest (aka direct action)." / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I want to talk a little bit about MLK’s step of self-purification here. For MLK, this step included workshops preparing people to “accept blows without retaliating”
and psychologically “enduring the ordeal of jail.”" / Twitter

I think that she demonstrated that very well when President Trump infamously demanded that she and three of her colleagues go back to their home countries and fix them before being worthy of returning. She and her fellow "Squad" members responded with grace and dignity -- and seemed much more presidential.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Nonviolent direct action is a spiritual struggle that continues today.
Just ask any of Lakota Sioux elders at Standing Rock. One of the first principles communicated to me there was “everything you do here is ceremony.”
It takes deep personal commitment to pursue social change." / Twitter

That may be why Arthur-Schlesinger liberal phases tend to burn out. It takes a lot of effort to do the activism necessary for major social change, and it can be exhausting.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Protestors with MLK pledged to keep the following 10 commandments to spiritually prepare for action:
1. MEDITATE on teachings and life of Jesus. (MLK was a pastor)
2. REMEMBER to seek justice, not victory.
3. WALK and talk in the manner of love, for God is Love.
cont... /1 https://t.co/jfxkDS3qzx" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "
4. PRAY to be used by God so that all men might be free.
5. SACRIFICE personal wishes so that all men might be free.
6. OBSERVE with friend AND foe the ordinary rules of courtesy.
7. SEEK to perform regular service for others and the world.
..." / Twitter

8. REFRAIN from the violence of fist, tongue, or heart.
9. STRIVE to be in good spiritual and bodily health.
10. FOLLOW the directions of the movement and the captain of the demonstration." / Twitter

AOC showed a picture of the page where she got them from. It had a (*) and "commitment card for activists" written on it. She underlined 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 in it, and in 2, she double-underlined "not victory".

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "These rules are all applicable today as we look to actors of nonviolent resistance across the country and globe.
MLK and the struggle for civil rights lives today at Standing Rock, Ferguson, Women's March, Stonewall. He gifted the nation a blueprint for change." / Twitter

And nonviolent activists all over the world, I'm sure. MLK Jr was inspired by nonviolent protests of British rule in India, protests organized by Mohandas Gandhi. Why nonviolent resistance beats violent force in effecting social, political change – Harvard Gazette

As this link proves, AOC is more of a bimbo than any Hollywood starlet ever deserved to labeled as such.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/14665/green-new-deal-poverty

That article wasn’t even about Ocasio Cortez.

Who's idea is the GND?

Not AOC's.

Green_New_Deal#History

Throughout the 1970s and 1990s an economic policy to move the United States economy away from nonrenewable energy was developed by multiple activists.[10]An early use of the phrase "Green New Deal" was by journalist Thomas Friedman.[11] He argued in favor of the idea in The New York Times and The New York Times Magazine.[12][13] In January 2007, Friedman wrote:

If you have put a windmill in your yard or some solar panels on your roof, bless your heart. But we will only green the world when we change the very nature of the electricity grid – moving it away from dirty coal or oil to clean coal and renewables. And that is a huge industrial project – much bigger than anyone has told you. Finally, like the New Deal, if we undertake the green version, it has the potential to create a whole new clean power industry to spur our economy into the 21st century.[13]

This approach was subsequently taken up in Britain by the Green New Deal Group,[14] which published its eponymous report on July 21, 2008.[15] The concept was further popularized and put on a wider footing when the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) began to promote it.

In the spring of 2008, author Jeff Biggers launched a series of challenges for a Green New Deal from the perspective of his writings from coal country in Appalachia. Biggers wrote, "Obama should shatter these artificial racial boundaries by proposing a New “Green” Deal to revamp the region and bridge a growing chasm between bitterly divided Democrats, and call for an end to mountaintop removal policies that have led to impoverishment and ruin in the coal fields."[16] Biggers followed up with other Green New Deal proposals over the next four years.[17]

On October 22, 2008, UNEP's Executive Director Achim Steiner unveiled a Global Green New Deal initiative that aims to create jobs in "green" industries, thus boosting the world economy and curbing climate change at the same time.[18] The Green Party of the United States and Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein proposed a "Green New Deal" beginning in 2012.[19][20][21] The Green New Deal remains officially part of the platform of the Green Party of the United States.[22]

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "If I were a journalist/worked in news, this is what I’d do rn:
1. Interview actual experts on white supremacy & give them space (more than 2mins or lines) to educate the public on WS, what to look for. Often.
2. Not frame white supremacy&racism as a “conflict” or “debate”... /1" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "The reason there’s a tendency to “both sides” every issue on TV is bc the medium is incentivized for conflict, so ppl will put the least qualified people on TV to create it (see: climate deniers). Don’t ask “is [blank] racist?” Have experts explain what to do about racism.
/2" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "3. Don’t let Neo-Nazis on TV,to buff their image or couch racism in “reasonable”-seeming terms/appearance!Sounds obvious but it just happened a few wks ago. Supremacists are experts at manipulation,incl manipulating smart people. You will open a box you don’t know how to contain." / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "4. Also, have editors of color! Diversity not only in lowest ranks, but highest. News is behind on huge stories & coverage is suffering bc of lack of diversity. I’ve been invited to editor roundtables just utterly shocked that no poc were present. In 2019. That’s a big problem." / Twitter

However, I did enjoy watching neo-Nazi Richard Spencer's rally where he shouted "Hail Trump! Hail our people! Hail victory!" So letting neo-Nazis speak can be valuable. It's important to get their words when they are not trying to cover their tracks.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Hey @senatemajldr - these young men look like they work for you.
Just wanted to clarify: are you paying for young men to practice groping & choking members of Congress w/ your payroll, or is this just the standard culture of #TeamMitch?
Thanks. https://t.co/ysRJuwonUx" / Twitter
noting
feminist next door on Twitter: "Pictured: seven young white men in “Team Mitch” T-shirts, gathered round a distressed looking cardboard @AOC, groping and kissing her. The caption, “break me off a piece of that.”
Future federal judges of America. https://t.co/t877J7Pcye" / Twitter

Then on the New York Times headline "TRUMP URGES UNITY VS. RACISM" - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Let this front page serve as a reminder of how white supremacy is aided by - and often relies upon - the cowardice of mainstream institutions. https://t.co/ynjgtT66yI" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Incredibly powerful, must-watch moment. Thank you, @esglaude. https://t.co/rT5CIGJU9O" / Twitter - linking to a video on having to acknowledge that Trump's presidency is as much a symptom as a disease, that Trump taps into some widespread sentiment.
MSNBC on Twitter: ""It’s easy for us to place it all on Donald Trump’s shoulders... This is us. And if we’re going to get past this we can’t blame it on him. He's a manifestation of the ugliness that’s in us." @esglaude says white people must reckon with the continued presence of racism in the U.S. https://t.co/dclEaLsrK9" / Twitter

Opinion | Local Girl Makes Good - The New York Times - not long after she defeated Joe Crowley
“A sanitation truck pulled up,” said the 28-year-old with the contagious smile and an energy that impressed even the dragon-energy president. “The driver reached out his arm to give me a high-five. What that moment tells me is what we did was right. We are touching the hearts of working people. Democrats should be getting high-fives from sanitation truck drivers — that is what should be happening in America.”

... “The Republicans galvanize their base by inciting a lot of fear; they operate on a lot of mythmaking,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “So we have to have something compelling. We shouldn’t be afraid to be bold.”
About Donald Trump,
“Those were the people that I had to deal with so much in hospitality. He’s not just a figure. He’s a type of person. People like that say shocking things to gauge your reaction and to read if you flinch. I don’t flinch. I’m not going to flinch.”
She has elsewhere stated that he is like a certain kind of sleazy real-estate dealer who likes to state that something bad ought to happen to someone or other, so that they can have some very convenient deniability when that happens.

When her mother stated that she was running for President, " “Oh my God, I was so upset,” the candidate said, laughing. “I’m not even old enough to do that.” "
The Boston University graduate, who has a boyfriend and likes to do yoga and write essays in her spare time, said she tries to move past sexism on the trail.

“Mentors of mine were under a big pressure to minimize their femininity to make it,” she said. “I’m not going to do that. That takes away my power. I’m not going to compromise who I am.

“I wake up every day and I’m a Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx. Every single day.”
Essays? Will she ever publish any of them? She's also disclosed what kinds of makeup she likes to wear, like what shade of lipstick.

AOC has shared how she deals with stress. I Tried Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Stress Strategy—and It's Pure Gold | Shine
  • What is this really about?
  • Is this truly important in the larger scheme of things?
  • Do I have the power to change this, will doing more make it worse, or do I just need to ride it out?
I'd posted in my first post in this thread about her self-care at the beginning of the year, how in her campaign she went from salmon-and-wild-rice dinners and yoga to fast food and falling asleep in her makeup and jeans. She had tweeted on that: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I’m taking a few days to take care of myself before what is sure to be an eventful term. For working people, immigrants, & the poor, self-care is political - not because we want it to be, but bc of the inevitable shaming of someone doing a face mask while financially stressed./1 https://t.co/EWdWFmPwet" / Twitter - she noted that her mother had "worked herself to the bone" to make it possible for her to go to college, so she felt guilty about taking a day off or getting a face mask or having a nice dinner with friends.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Self-Care Confessional on Instagram Is as Relatable as It Gets - Vogue
The untold truth of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Dreams of the White House?

She might be a relative rookie to the government thing, but Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez reportedly has a big dream. "Her aspiration is to be the president," said her mother, Blanca Ocasio-Cortez, to the New York Post. "She has been thinking about politics since she was a teenager. She would read historical and political books old and new. She would engage in political discussions passionately."

Alexandria, however, pushed back on the possibility of running for president in a later interview with Vogue, telling the publication she would "never" do such a thing. Instead, she said, "I want to be the kooky old lady who brings her cats to the floor of Congress and says, 'Here's the right thing to do.' I just want to be chilling with Sonia Sotomayor, wearing gold hoop earrings with a big old FU and a pretty necklace." Who knows whether she's serious or simply trying to get a feel for things first, but it looks like she might have at least one vote — former President Barack Obama is already a fan.
How Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Other Progressives Are Defining the Midterms - Vogue - where she aspired to be a Congressional crazy cat lady. So she might end up some de facto Prime Minister instead, something like what Newt Gingrich did during Bill Clinton's presidency.

Caring for yourself so you can keep defending human rights - Amnesty International Australia Burnout symptoms: anxiety, guilt, isolation, irritability, anger, sadness, pessimism, disappointment, numbness, fatigue/insomnia, lack of motivation, physical pain/sickness, compassion fatigue.

I honestly find this hard to believe, like when Jussie Smullet's claim came out about two guys wearing MAGA hats. People have to be dumb to identify their side intentionally while doing something offensive and unpopular... On the other hand, no one has yet said these guys in the photo are not really Team Mitch. So they may actually be that dumb.

It appears they're high school students, so yeah, they're that foolish.

I honestly find this hard to believe, like when Jussie Smullet's claim came out about two guys wearing MAGA hats. People have to be dumb to identify their side intentionally while doing something offensive and unpopular... On the other hand, no one has yet said these guys in the photo are not really Team Mitch. So they may actually be that dumb.

It appears they're high school students, so yeah, they're that foolish.

The party of personal responsibility: it's the media's fault for catching us in the act.

Experts Predict if AOC Will End Up Becoming President - VICE - comparing her to Elizabeth Holtzman, who scored a similar upset victory in 1972.

However, I once saw one of AOC's detractors compare her to Maxine Waters, a long-time Rep from Los Angeles.

#WeThePeople meet Alexandria Ocasio - Cortez - Candidate 14th Dist. New York - YouTube - mid-2017, early in her election campaign, nearly a year before the primary election. She talked about how she once couldn't vote in a New York primary because she had to have a party affiliation declared a year in advance, and she checked about 3 months before the election. According to her, New York has the second worst primary participation, second only to Kentucky.

She wouldn't have done it alone, and she likes being part of a movement - she had the help of Brand New Congress and the Justice Democrats, and she was in touch with the other BNC candidates. Out of some 10,000 nominations, BNC selected about 11. She likes automatic voter registration, like what they do in Germany. She then noted in New York State politics the "Independent Democrats Caucus" that likes to act like Republicans. One of them even campaigned as a Bernie Sanders Democrat before doing so.

Then Joe Crowley's getting contributions from big banks and having $2500/plate dinners. She refuses to accept big donations, however well-meaning the donors might be. She doesn't want to get started on a path to corruption, it seems. She has also pledged not to use her Congress connections to use any lobbying after she leaves office. She also got into the problem of expensive apartments bought as investments and never inhabited -- that's making parts of Manhattan lose local businesses.

Also from mid-2017: This 2018 Progressive Candidate Has Her Pro-Wall Street Opponent SHOOK - YouTube - AOC mentions that she is a "Lincoln nerd"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Hey @senatemajldr - these young men look like they work for you.
Just wanted to clarify: are you paying for young men to practice groping & choking members of Congress w/ your payroll, or is this just the standard culture of #TeamMitch?
Thanks. https://t.co/ysRJuwonUx" / Twitter
noting
feminist next door on Twitter: "Pictured: seven young white men in “Team Mitch” T-shirts, gathered round a distressed looking cardboard @AOC, groping and kissing her. The caption, “break me off a piece of that.”
Future federal judges of America. https://t.co/t877J7Pcye" / Twitter

(Some "Team Mitch" young men groping an AOC cutout)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "“Boys will be boys.”
Is that also the reason why you’ve chosen to block the Violence Against Women act too, @senatemajldr?
It prevents dating partners w/ records of abuse + stalking women (also an early warning sign from many mass shooters) from obtaining a gun. https://t.co/shWCRmEv60" / Twitter
noting
The Daily Beast on Twitter: "Mitch McConnell's campaign manager essentially says boys will be boys in response to that image of teens groping and choking a cutout of @AOC https://t.co/kRrAKUkf60" / Twitter noting
McConnell Campaign Responds to Viral Photo of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Cutout Being Groped

Records of abuse and stalking women - which she stated is an early warning sign for many mass shooters - that seems like a good thing to watch out for.

She took another swipe at MM:
#WheresMitch on HR8
#WheresMitch on the Charleston Loophole
#WheresMitch on the Violence Against Women Act
Boys will be held accountable for their actions, starting with Mitch McConnell.
#WheresMitch" / Twitter

Mitch McConnell hasn't been called a boy in a long time, I'm sure :D

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Here’s what we have to say to all of America’s men and women falling in the grips of hatred and white supremacy:
Come back. It’s not too late.
You have neighbors and loved ones waiting, holding space for you.
And we will love you back. ⬇️ https://t.co/f2nCZzwLUy" / Twitter
noting
NowThis on Twitter: "‘I don’t want to hear the question ‘is this president racist?’ anymore. He is.’ — @AOC held nothing back while condemning Trump for using the language of white supremacy https://t.co/3rWCkdYq6n" / Twitter
Video of a nice speech by AOC. After first asserting that Trump is definitely racist, she calls on white supremacists to return to their mothers and teachers. I was reminded of Josef Stalin Nightmare ("love conquers all"). After the Soviet Union is defeated in WWIII, the victors decide to reform Joseph Stalin by being kind to him.

Gun Control Rally Draws Angry Crowds To Grand Army Plaza | Prospect Heights, NY Patch
White supremacy an ‘international terrorist problem,’ Ocasio-Cortez says at vigil for Dayton, El Paso victims - AOL News
AOC Denounces 'White Supremacist Terrorism' At Brooklyn Gun Violence Vigil - Gothamist

FSM help us if that ever happens!
comparing her to Elizabeth Holtzman, who scored a similar upset victory in 1972.
Ah yes, who can forget President Holtzman? But why were we making such a big deal about Hillary when we've already had a female president?

However, I once saw one of AOC's detractors compare her to Maxine Waters, a long-time Rep from Los Angeles.
Not a bad comparison, although I hope AOC gets primaried in 2020.
th

Who's idea is the GND?

Not AOC's.

Green_New_Deal#History

Throughout the 1970s and 1990s an economic policy to move the United States economy away from nonrenewable energy was developed by multiple activists.[10]An early use of the phrase "Green New Deal" was by journalist Thomas Friedman.[11] He argued in favor of the idea in The New York Times and The New York Times Magazine.[12][13] In January 2007, Friedman wrote:

If you have put a windmill in your yard or some solar panels on your roof, bless your heart. But we will only green the world when we change the very nature of the electricity grid – moving it away from dirty coal or oil to clean coal and renewables. And that is a huge industrial project – much bigger than anyone has told you. Finally, like the New Deal, if we undertake the green version, it has the potential to create a whole new clean power industry to spur our economy into the 21st century.[13]

This approach was subsequently taken up in Britain by the Green New Deal Group,[14] which published its eponymous report on July 21, 2008.[15] The concept was further popularized and put on a wider footing when the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) began to promote it.

In the spring of 2008, author Jeff Biggers launched a series of challenges for a Green New Deal from the perspective of his writings from coal country in Appalachia. Biggers wrote, "Obama should shatter these artificial racial boundaries by proposing a New “Green” Deal to revamp the region and bridge a growing chasm between bitterly divided Democrats, and call for an end to mountaintop removal policies that have led to impoverishment and ruin in the coal fields."[16] Biggers followed up with other Green New Deal proposals over the next four years.[17]

On October 22, 2008, UNEP's Executive Director Achim Steiner unveiled a Global Green New Deal initiative that aims to create jobs in "green" industries, thus boosting the world economy and curbing climate change at the same time.[18] The Green Party of the United States and Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein proposed a "Green New Deal" beginning in 2012.[19][20][21] The Green New Deal remains officially part of the platform of the Green Party of the United States.[22]

You're right in one respect. The bimbo hasn't the brains to come up with GND all by herself. But she definitely sponsored it according to Wiki.

Green New Deal
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The Green New Deal (GND) is a proposed United States economic stimulus package that aims to address climate change and economic inequality.[1][2][3][4] The name refers to the New Deal, a set of social and economic reforms and public works projects undertaken by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in response to the Great Depression.[5] The Green New Deal combines Roosevelt's economic approach with modern ideas such as renewable energy and resource efficiency.[6][7]

In the 116th United States Congress, it is a pair of resolutions, House Resolution 109[8] and S. Res. 59, sponsored by Rep. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA). On March 25, 2019, Markey's resolution failed to advance in the U.S. Senate in a margin of 0-57, with most Senate Democrats voting "present" in protest of an early vote called by Republicans.[9]

BDS is about destroying Israel completely. That would involve genocide.

Oh look...here's our resident "everyone is trying to destroy Israel" poster. Poor, defenseless, nuclear-armed Israel. With the world's biggest superpower in their corner. Who ever will defend them against the dirty Arab hordes, eh Loren?

The Dirty Arabs, your words not mine. Have tried to destroy Israel since day one of being granted a state. I't just that the Israeli defences, although vastly outnumbered have kicked their arses on each occasion, but at a huge cost of Israeli lives when one considers their tiny population in comparison to all their hostile neighboring Arab states.

In the 116th United States Congress, it is a pair of resolutions, House Resolution 109[8] and S. Res. 59, sponsored by Rep. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA). On March 25, 2019, Markey's resolution failed to advance in the U.S. Senate in a margin of 0-57, with most Senate Democrats voting "present" in protest of an early vote called by Republicans.[9]
Those Democratic Senators refused to vote on it without holding hearings on it. AOC herself urged them to boycott the vote IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom