• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I find it utterly amazing the level of attention and vitriol a neophyte member of the House of Representatives is receiving. AOC has virtually no power to cause any change at this time. What are all of these people afraid of?

She's nutty enough she provides a convenient target for the right to attack. Hence lots of news coverage.
AOC is not nutty - she is a physically attractive young woman who is willing to articulate her leftish views. She is no "nuttier" than Bernie Sanders who does not get this quantity of puerile and petty stupidity
hurled at him.

I find it utterly amazing the level of attention and vitriol a neophyte member of the House of Representatives is receiving. AOC has virtually no power to cause any change at this time. What are all of these people afraid of?

She's nutty enough she provides a convenient target for the right to attack. Hence lots of news coverage.
AOC is not nutty - she is a physically attractive young woman who is willing to articulate her leftish views. She is no "nuttier" than Bernie Sanders who does not get this quantity of puerile and petty stupidity
hurled at him.

She's all the things they fear and hate rolled into one package.

She's young/millennial.

She's Puerto Rican.

She's unapologetically leftist.

She's really charismatic.

She actually speaks truth to power, and that's making her very popular.

She's hot. This matters more than many might think who have seen conservative white women react to pretty non-white women.

Her intelligence and wit is apparent.

They're afraid of her for good reason. She speaks to those who want the government to act in the best interests of the vast majority of its citizens. Imagine that concept spreading to the midwest and the south.

As to those Fox commentators complaining about teaching fairness in school, I note that right-wingers never tire of demanding that other people meekly submit to injustices, because "life isn't fair". But when it's something that happens to them, they forget about that. They never say that "life isn't fair" about the "liberal media" or about taxes, for instance.

You nailed that.

My dad cries about his taxes. It's not just unfair that he has to pay more due to his income, it's practically criminal. However, when confronted about people going bankrupt and dying or having to watch their kids die due to the state of healthcare in this nation, he literally says, "so?"

He expects everyone to have sympathy for him having to pay taxes, but does not give one tenth of a fuck about someone dying or losing everything they have because they got sick.

It cost him a few thousand dollars to attend law school because my mom worked to put him through it. Same with his undergrad. When he left school, he had no debt. That was back in 1972. But relief for students now? Fuck 'em. "Why should I have to pay for anyone to get an education?"

He is today's GOP in microcosm. Fuck you, I got mine. Oh, and while I'm at it, let me pull this ladder up behind me.

hurled at him.

She's all the things they fear and hate rolled into one package.

She's young/millennial.

She's Puerto Rican.

She's unapologetically leftist.

She's really charismatic.

She actually speaks truth to power, and that's making her very popular.

She's hot. This matters more than many might think who have seen conservative white women react to pretty non-white women.

Her intelligence and wit is apparent.

They're afraid of her for good reason. She speaks to those who want the government to act in the best interests of the vast majority of its citizens. Imagine that concept spreading to the midwest and the south.

Amen, brother!

Amen indeed.

There's nothing nutty about AOC, which is one reason she's such a target.

Another reason is her ideas are doable and popular.

hurled at him.

I suppose this has never actually been quantified, but Bernie gets plenty of stupidity hurled at him, in general, with the whole "nutty" Bernie bent.

hurled at him.

No. Sanders was left but reasonable. She's left and nutty. Her ideas on going to 100% renewables neglect the fact that this is simply not feasible given current technology. We lack the storage, many climates aren't very suitable.

hurled at him.

No. Sanders was left but reasonable. She's left and nutty. Her ideas on going to 100% renewables neglect the fact that this is simply not feasible given current technology. We lack the storage, many climates aren't very suitable.
Since she is not advocating immediately to 100% renewables but to work towards that goal, you are misinformed.

hurled at him.

Since she is not advocating immediately to 100% renewables but to work towards that goal, you are misinformed.

Therefore betraying the very people who back her: ordinary everyday Americans who would pay quadruple or more in power charges by shifting to [ for the foreseeable future] uneconomic renewables that must be subsided by taxpayers.

hurled at him.

Repeating it doesn't make it true. You should know this by now.

Exactly what part of this is nutty?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4778221/rep-ocasio-cortez-explains-broken-system

Everyone here should watch this 5 minute clip where she easily points out, without even having to use analogies, just a simple hypothetical, just how broken our system is.

So...

there was a doctored video in which her Firing Line interview was quote mined and butchered to make her sound incoherent and stupid, but the specific part of the interview where she talked about the Occupation of Palestine wasn't included, so that means she lied about the video being doctored? And that means she's anti-Semitic? :confused:

She doesn't need a ' doctored video" to make her sound stupid and incoherent. She's quite capable of doing that all by herself!
I heard her in an interview on NPR and was quite impressed. She needs to earn some House cred and get a fuller understanding of the job, but for someone just starting out... and out of the blue, she sounded extremely intelligent. At least as far as describing a good picture. Now she needs to learn how to get the picture painted. If she does, this person is going to be a force. She already understands the diplomatic game, siding with Pelosi.

hurled at him.

Repeating it doesn't make it true. You should know this by now.

Exactly what part of this is nutty?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4778221/rep-ocasio-cortez-explains-broken-system

Everyone here should watch this 5 minute clip where she easily points out, without even having to use analogies, just a simple hypothetical, just how broken our system is.

Pretty impressive. Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom